Patient Comments: Ascites - Cause

What was the cause of the ascites you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Glyn, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

I have neuroendocrine carcinoma which caused my ascites. Simply put, it is tumor (both high-grade and low-grade) all over both inner and outer peritoneum (it is not the more common pancreatic one). Originally diagnosed in June 2017, I began having my abdomen swell with fluids during the summer of 2018. In early October I had my first paracentesis when 5.2 liters of fluid was removed. It's been about a week, and going by how the midsection feels and my weight changes I'll need another one pretty soon.

Comment from: marti, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

My ascites seems to have been caused by nonalcoholic fatty liver disease, likely due to the exposure I had to toxic chemicals, PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) and other pesticides and poisons in the environment. I have gained an enormous amount of abdominal fluid and have started getting urinary tract infections, something I have never had before. I wonder if this could be due to an infection in the ascites fluid.

Comment from: Jud, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

Alcohol intake on a social basis was the cause my ascites.

Comment from: Dr pc anand, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 11

My father is of age 72 and he is suffering from ascites and pleural effusion with diabetes since two months. My experience said due to ascites pleural effusion developed, liver and kidney function tests are normal, and Hb is 9 gm, but albumin level is 2.5. Doctor said ascites developed due to chronic liver disease. Now he is on Ayurvedic medicine and looks better. No more swelling of leg and face, he is normal.

Comment from: Djohn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I've had diffuse bronchiectasis symptoms for 40 years; treated for atypical asthma and officially diagnosed via CT 5 years ago. Although classified as mild, cylindrical bronchiectasis my symptoms are often severe and paradoxical. I may stop breathing momentarily but my oxygen saturation levels stay fairly normal. I rarely sleep through the night and have taken sleeping pills for many years to keep working. I take Inhaled steroid/bronchodilator (have tried most of both) with limited benefit, some improvement. Albuterol nightly via inhaler helps. Air quality really affects my breathing; anything beyond 'code green' means trouble. Exercise has kept me functional with limited progression of lung damage per se. I try to avoid outside exercise on bad-air days. I have recently added deep breathing for symptom control with promising results.

Comment from: Nana Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I just found out yesterday that I have ascites, after trying for six months to get diagnosed. Both legs from ankles to above thighs have been very swollen, eventually into my hips and all around my body. No testing was done until yesterday when I had a CAT scan. It could have been found so much sooner! I am so scared. I am waiting to hear from the surgeon.

Comment from: Ally, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 02

Yikes, today I had a nosebleed that literally lasted 3.5 hours. While at my desk, I felt I had a runny nose and post nasal drip. I sucked it in and kept working. I remember finding it unusual that I had a runny nose. I am generally in great health, did not have a cold or any other symptoms. This just started suddenly. After sucking it up about 3 more times, I reached for a tissue when blood just started dripping on my desk. I blew my nose to clear my nostril and, oh boy! The tissue could not hold the huge blood clot the size of a golf ball. I immediately grabbed more issue and pinched my nose. I felt my nostril clogging up but did not want to blow again. I tilted my head slightly back and felt something roll down the back of my throat causing me to choke. I decided to let it take its course. Like a cat, I coughed up what was another golf ball sized blood clot. For someone who never had a nosebleed, this was surely no small introduction. No headache, no pain, not even lightheaded. Tissue after tissue, this was not normal. I stuffed tissues in my nose and kept my head straight while trying to stay level headed. Clots continued to form, and either clogged my nose to the point where I could not breathe, or slid down my throat. For the next 2 hours, this same pattern continued. Two boxes of tissues later, it stopped.

Comment from: peter love, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I had a heart attack, resulting from stress. I am taking water pills and spironolactone plus a heart pill. I have to be drained about every 4 weeks as the pills cannot keep up with the ascites. The first time we took 10 kg of water, and I could go home after the procedure but now we get 15 to 20 kg in a hospital and it's not enough.

Comment from: Mudduck10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

My ascites was due to ovarian cancer, early stage, thank goodness. I was one of the lucky ones, but it was only discovered because of a diagnosis of endometrial cancer as well.

Comment from: Ascites in RVD, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I was diagnosed with what the doctor is calling severe ascites in RVD (regulatory volume decrease). I have to go to hospital at least 3 times in a month to have at least 2-4 liters removed from my abdomen. The x-ray shows the enlargement of the heart shadow which is a sign of heart failure (causing ascites). I have been experiencing this condition for the past 12 months since I was put on HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy) and TB (tuberculosis) treatment simultaneously. I am not too sure of the cause of enlarged heart shadow as I am not alcoholic. This condition is disturbing me a lot causing a lot of tiredness and breathlessness over very small activities. I am always on Lasix, spironolactone and digoxin. I am not sure if this will help because I am now not active despite being a bread winner in the family.

Comment from: Monk, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 03

My wife aged 55, has pelvic ascites. Physicians have done many tests to know the cause, but without result. For 6 years, she has had ascites, and doctors have found nothing. But now she is finding it painful and is suffering, and I don't know what I can do for her.

Comment from: amused 55, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 07

My husband has developed ascites due to hepatitis C, he has never been a big drinker or had any blood transfusions that we are aware of. We believe he contracted his hepatitis while serving in the Air Force. (Although the air force doesn't agree with that analogy.) In the past three weeks he has had 6.1 liters of fluid removed, then 7.7 liters of fluid and last week another 5.5 liters and will have to go again by the end of this week. He has a different genotype of hepatitis C so although he has been through interferon and ribavirin treatments twice it did little more than lower his viral count. He has been so sick and has little to no energy. He tells me all the time that his is in a great deal of pain.

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 25

My brother was an alcoholic with severe kidney damage and ascites. He died a week ago, and the death certificate lists cirrhosis and ascites as the cause of death. He experienced vomiting and diarrhea for about a day and a half before passing on. I do not think he followed closely the dietary restrictions he needed to follow, and he refused to go to the hospital for his symptoms. He ended up dying at home, traumatizing my 88-year-old mother with whom he lived. I guess I will always wonder what kind of pain he experienced as he died.

Comment from: Worried, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I have rheumatoid arthritis and my legs swell up and my stomach and my knees hurt. I get tired when I walk, I wonder if I get ascites.

Comment from: yasagi, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had bleeding after food, wonder if gastritis can cause it.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 05

Frequent but poor urination and abdominal tuberculosis caused my ascites.

Comment from: Jimbo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

My ascites developed after a bone marrow transplant. It is unknown why this occurred as I am Not a drinker and have perfect liver and kidney function and the heart is strong and without problems. A *Denver Shunt* was implanted and it has worked wonderfully. I have had to return for fluid removal just once, as before I was in every 2-3 weeks. I lead a normal life but the shunt does appear as a large lump on my right lower rib cage.

Comment from: patty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I am not sure if this will help but my ascites is from donating a kidney, and apparently the lymph nodes next to where they removed the kidney are supposed to seal themselves and have not done that yet anyway. I had 3 liters pumped from my abdomen last month and have to go back and have it done again this week. They told me to stay on a fat-free diet and this would help.

Comment from: pntotilo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I have severe ascites, which has gotten extremely painful. I have cirrhosis caused by hepatitis C and lots of alcohol. My quality of life is like a -25. You don't want go there. Help anyone you who may have a problem – before it's too late.

Comment from: Silvia33, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I experienced bloating in stomach which was diagnosed as ascites. I have had five liters removed and next week. I will have seven liters removed. Test results of fluid showed I had ovarian cancer. Operation included total hysterectomy, removal of tubes, ovaries, omendum, cervix, and six months of chemotheraphy. It was determined I have Stage III carcinoma, serous ovarian cancer since 05-2007. It has returned twice and now I am about to start my third chemo regimen, hair loss all three times. This is not an easy disease to have.

Comment from: 18Scotland, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 06

My wife's ascites is most likely caused by radioembolization and chemotherapy induced liver damage which is a disease resulting from SIR-Spheres and FOLFOX. Besides ascites, high bilirubin causing yellowing of eyes, and high ALP (2 x normal). Not much out there on radioembolization and chemotherapy induced liver damage/disease. Tests rule out portal hypertension and other normal causes.

Comment from: Big Brian, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

My abdominal ascites was caused by congestive heart failure. Diuretics have drained me of about 5 liters of fluid. I have lost weight, and my waistline is two inches smaller. I feel a whole lot better. I urinate often during the day, and not much at night, because I take my diuretics early in the morning.

Comment from: icanbeatthis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

My ascites was due to metastases of a breast cancer that had been diagnosed 12 years earlier. The original breast cancer had spread to my uterus, cervix, and ovaries. I had a total hysterectomy and have been on chemo now for two years. I still have ascites off and on, but if it is bothersome, I have it drained. I'm still fighting and waiting for a cure.

Comment from: Felicitas, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 17

On a recent CT scan I was diagnosed with small ascites in the pelvis and the abdomen. However I have never been a drinker and both my heart and liver are normal. I also have a flat stomach with no inflammation. My symptoms are periodic severe stomach pains in the upper section of my stomach followed by severe inflammation of the abdomen. No ulcers nor any other abnormality of the stomach diagnosed.

Comment from: Connie, Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I had a liver transplant in 2004. I was in the hospital a few weeks ago because of headaches, but while they were checking me out they said I have a sac of fluid in my abdomen. I am scheduled to see a surgeon. I also had an open sore on my stomach which they said was staph. Not sure how serious this it yet.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: March 09

I have what the Dr. is calling "Traumatic Ascites". Because they have eliminated all of the textbook answers and can find no reason for it. About a month after I took a hard fall directly on my stomach it began to occur. When I fell I was carrying something and should have dropped it and didn't. I am on Lasix and Spirolactone. Our local Dr. suggested going to Mayo Clinic. I very much doubt if they would find anything but run all the tests that have already been run.

Comment from: warka, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 30

My mother has been diagnosed with ascites. She is still under diagnosis process of an underlying cause of ascites. She is not malignant, albumin is fine, liver ultrasound is ok. Further investigations are underway. She is 72 and has been on Hemodialysis for the past 11 years. Her heart is really weak. She also has a pace maker for slow pulse. She is very frail and it's difficult for a daughter to see her in such a situation.

Comment from: Warriorwoman, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

My ascites was the first symptom I had of ovarian cancer. My abdomen started expanding, first slowly and I thought it was just weight gain. It was not much, just enough that my slacks were tighter to fasten. I didn't think anything was wrong that a little diet and exercise could fix. Then the distension increased rather rapidly over a two week period. Even though I was feeling fine, I consulted a doctor who ordered a CT scan. That discovered the ascites and other scan findings were suggestive of late stage ovarian cancer. I was eventually diagnosed with stage IIIC ovarian cancer and am in the great fight.

Comment from: A, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

My mom is 46 years old suffering from BUD CHIARI SYNDROME for the last three years followed by abdominal distention and ascites, it's a very difficult time for her despite the best available treatment her condition is critical, and for me as well. It's just unbearable to see her shouting with pain.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter