Patient Comments: Ascites - Treatment

What kinds of treatment did you or a relative receive for ascites? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: judi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Yesterday I had 3 liters of fluid drained off. It was very painful to have the numbing needle go in first. Not good, and very sore today. Sadly, I've been terribly thirsty, and drinking much fluid. Fluid seems to be going right back to my abdominal cavity… I'm almost as bloated today as yesterday before draining. I'm still very thirsty. After the initial procedure for ascites I was relieved to have less pressure. I'm going to check and see if the doctor can put in a port to drain fluids daily without all the pain.

Comment from: steen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been given 40 mg of furosemide for ascites, I take it every morning. It gives me really bad stools after a few days. My whole body is swollen with fluid, but my doctors won't drain the fluid.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter