Patient Comments: Ascites - Diagnosis

What kinds of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of ascites? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mudduck10, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I was already menopausal for about 1 year when I had a routine Pap exam. The results of the test indicated endometrial cells where they should not be. A biopsy was scheduled which confirmed endometrial cancer. I was referred to a gynecological oncologist, who initially ordered an ultrasound, as a result of the physical exam. It revealed ovaries the size of softballs. A CA125 of over 3,000 and a hysterectomy and post-operative biopsies confirmed ovarian cancer as well. The ascites was within the still encapsulated ovaries. Lucky for me, no fluid escaped into the abdomen.

Comment from: Sis, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 06

It started out with urinary tract infection. The person is diabetic. The technician said fluids and ascites, and asked if they was heavy drinking involved. The answer is no, he has something called drop foot and wears brace for that. He threw up this morning waiting for radiologist to read ultra sound.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter