Patient Comments: Ascites - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with ascites in you, a friend, or relative? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: D.M., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My ascites was the result of stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. It came on over a two week period until I looked about 7 months pregnant. It was the last symptom leading to my diagnosis. A tube attached to a drainage bag was inserted into my abdomen. I wore the bag for 4 months, emptying it twice a day. In the first month alone we hit 22 liters as the lymphatic fluid was rampant. It took a couple of rounds of chemotherapy before there started to be a decrease in its accumulation and by the end of treatment I went back to normal. I have had no re-occurrence of either the ascites or the lymphoma, and live life to the fullest.

Comment from: RussB, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 28

Besides the stomach bloat and pain I have had problems with vomiting. I have a bad heart and other problems so it took my doctor a while to figure out why I could not keep food down. At the initial 6 months of the ascites I was puking up almost everything I ate about every other day. I lost 55 pounds which was nice but any more wasn't. In the beginning, the treatment was draining the fluid. They took out 3 liters and I felt so much better. Now I am on two water pills and it helps a lot. If I miss a day of medications like today, I will lose my dinner again.

Comment from: Bennie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 10

Six quarts of fluid from ascites were pulled from my stomach and the doctor said I had hepatitis A. I'm just trying to understand it.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter