Artificial sweeteners are considered nonnutritive sweeteners because they provide no calories when consumed. There are many forms of artificial sweeteners, including Splenda (sucralose), Sweet'N Low (saccharin), Equal and Nutrasweet (aspartame), acesulfame K and neotame. Read more: Artificial Sweeteners Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Foods and Drinks That Trigger Leaky Bladder in Pictures
Certain foods and drinks may be triggers for people with an overactive bladder (also called urinary urge incontinence). Find what...
Sugar Quiz: Facts on Diet & Sugar
Sugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Sugar Addiction Facts: Cravings, Hidden Sugar, and More in Pictures
Learn about sugar addiction to see why we often crave sweets and binge on carbs. Learn how sugar affects the brain and get tips...
Related Disease Conditions
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Intestinal Gas (Belching, Bloating, Flatulence)
Anal itching is the irritation of the skin at the exit of the rectum, known as the anus, accompanied by the desire to scratch....
Migraine headaches are severe headaches that are sensitive to light, sounds, and smells. Some people who suffer from...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment, and Test
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Treatment for bladder cancer depends on the stage of the disease, the grade of the tumor, and the type of bladder cancer. Options...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
IBS Triggers (Prevention)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disease that can affect the quality of those who suffer from this condition....
Phenylketonuria (PKU) is a disorder that is inherited. PKU disorder increases the levels of phenylalanine in the blood....
Though human milk is the preferred feeding for infants, parents may consider formula-feeding if there is an inadequate supply of...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Could Artificial Sweeteners Raise Your Diabetes Risk?
- Artificial Sweeteners Trick the Brain: Study
- Could Artificial Sweeteners Raise Your Odds for Obesity?
- Reset Your Taste Buds for Less Sugar
- Do Diet Sodas Pose Health Risks?
- Artificial Sweeteners During Pregnancy May Make for Heavier Infants
- Coffee, Wine Good for Healthy Gut, Sodas May Be Bad
- Gradual Decline in Soda's Sugar Content Might Help Curb Obesity
- Sweetened Drinks Might Raise Men's Risk for Heart Failure
- Cutting Certain Carbs Might Not Ease Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Diet Sodas Linked to Widening Waistlines in Seniors: Study
- Love Coffee? Your Heart May, Too
- Surprises in Proposed New Dietary Guidelines
- Could Artificial Sweeteners Cause Weight Gain?
- FDA Should Work to Cut Sugar Levels in Sodas, Experts Say
- Diets High in Fructose May Harm Liver in Some, Scientists Warn
- NYC Ban on Super-Sized Sodas Would Cut Consumers' Calories: Study
- Sugar Substitutes Can Lead to Weight Loss
- U.S. Schools Throwing the Book at Unhealthy Drinks
- Health Tip: What Triggers Your Migraines?
- Could Compound in Artificial Sweeteners Worsen Crohn's Disease?
- A Common Organic Sweetener May Boost Arsenic Levels in Foods
- Study: Too Much Sugar in Drinks Marketed to Kids
- Group Wants Ban on 2 Types of Caramel Coloring in Sodas
- Water May Be Secret Weapon in Weight Loss
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter