Patient Comments: Arthroscopy - Experience

For what condition(s) did you seek arthroscopy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Pnos, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I had arthroscopic surgery on my knee for a torn medial meniscus. Surgery went well and I was walking without crutches the evening of surgery. I went through six weeks of physical therapy. I have full range of motion but my knee still felt weak. After a few months of no improvement I went to another physical therapist to help gain strength. It helped but it took about 12 to 18 months to feel normal again.

Comment from: Cowrie , 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 11

I had arthroscopy because I had 2 tears in my left knee and 1 tear in my right. I had 2 of the tears pinned together and one of the tears cut out as it was too big to repair. I was in a great deal of pain after the operation but still managed to walk, after a week I was able to walk with minimal pain, and after 6 weeks I think it's the best it ever is going to be. I have full range of motion in one knee and about 80 percent in the other.

Comment from: Mrs Drew, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee with cleanup of meniscus. Now I'm in constant pain every minute of the day and all the doctor will do is write physical therapy prescriptions and suggest Cortizone injections. I'm just tired of everything, nothing is working.

Comment from: misstdiana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I had the surgery on my right knee on November 20th. I had 8 visits to the physiotherapist and while I feel it helped I don't think the arthroscopy has improved my condition. I still have significant locking and catching going on which causes pain. If I was asked to do this again I'd probably say no.

Comment from: Jeux , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I am 19, and I had an injury on Monday which caused a bucket medial meniscus tear which left my leg locked until that Saturday when I had an arthroscopy. They repaired the tear with 4 sutures. It is now 4 days since the surgery and most of the pain is gone (swelling has substantially subsided but is still present) but I cannot seem to walk on my leg, it feels very weak. I cannot go one step walking on it as my leg just gives. I hope it will all come back through muscle strengthening exercises.

Comment from: Eva, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I had a knee arthroscopy 2 months ago for a septic arthritis thanks to an orthopedic surgeon who injected a bacteria together with a cortisone shot. This shot was for my grade 4 cartilage damage in the posterior medial epicondyle. I hardly feel the cartilage damage (not before the cortisone shot and not after surgery), and my knee is almost back to normal now, no swelling, no pain, normal range of movement but extreme cracking and popping! Cycling is possible, running is forbidden.

Comment from: Bill , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I had an MRI which showed I had a meniscal tear. I requested physical therapy and the doctor made the referral. One of the goals I set was to avoid arthroscopy/surgery. I am not keen on having anyone cut on me. Anyway after a couple months of physical therapy I had both knees in better shape than I ever had! The therapist admonished that at some point in the future my knee could present another problem. That was 8 trouble free years ago and I couldn't be happier.

Comment from: KmKelly, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

I had a torn meniscus and tibial plateau fracture. I had arthroscopy on 9/19/18. Pain was minimal and I was walking unaided within a week. I went for post operation follow up on 10/4/18 and the doctor said I was fine to return to my part time job as a van driver. Since though, I experience weight bearing pain after 6 to 8 hours on my feet walking. I used ice, compression and crutch for a day or two and was back to walking unaided. Hopeful that has or will eventually stop the relapses or else I'm afraid replacement will be necessary.

Comment from: Rich , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I am 6 weeks into recovery after knee clean out through arthroscopy. I have been told I have grade 3 cartilage damage. My knee is constantly painful, and is crunchy when I bend it! I wonder if anyone else had this, I hope it will settle down, I'm going crazy!

Comment from: Sweet Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I injured my knee walking my three miles; tore the meniscus. I had arthroscopy surgery a month ago. I was feeling great and started my walking again with doctor's permission. I started out slowly, just walking around the block, to work my way up to the challenges of the walking path. The path contains small incline hills, and steep incline hills as well as flat distances. But it's starting to hurt again. I haven't worked my way up to three miles yet. Getting worried. Compression brace, x-rays, I don't know what else to try.

Comment from: Rich79, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 02

I tore a ligament in my left knee, while getting up out of the recliner chair, you know, pushing the step back with your foot. I had no idea what I'd done but x-rays showed it was a torn meniscus. This was last year, 2017 about June and at the end of September I had arthroscopy. Since then, it has had its moments, some days it is ok but other days, like the last couple of days, it has been so painful that I've been unable to move virtually. I've had so much time off work.

Comment from: Mike 28, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am 36 and I got diagnosed with Fabry disease 5 year ago which means I urinate protein out and keep the fat in as I have no enzyme to break it down. Every 2 weeks a nurse comes to my house and gives me a cannula which is attached to a bag of the enzyme which lasts up to 1 hour. Over time with no enzyme it has damaged my kidneys. My kidneys were working at 26 percent when I got diagnosed with Fabry. After 1 year my kidneys went to 18 percent so I had an operation to get the peritoneal dialysis tube put in my belly to get ready to start dialysis at home, 8 hours a night (I also work 4 shifts a week on 12 hours). Then I went on the transplant list. I was on the list for 3 months and on the 16th May I got a phone call saying they had a kidney for me, so I had my kidney transplant the same day. I woke up with a really sore leg, it felt heavy, and I was in a lot of pain. I still have pain to this day, I asked the doctors why and they said it will get better, it was just that where they have cut me open at the front of my belly my nerves run down my leg so they have hit my nerves to open me up. It will get better over time. I would just like to also say I have got mixed emotions, I am feeling happy but also down but that might be because of all the tablets, and hopefully the down bit will go. The hospital really looked after me, they were brilliant.

Comment from: Sa cha, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 08

I had arthroscopy surgery 5 months ago for bucket handle tear. I had no pain but couldn't walk well. I had surgery and they removed most of my medial meniscus. Now at 27 I can't run anymore, walking is a challenge, sport is impossible. Avoid this surgery guys!

Comment from: Pravindra Shekhar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

After completion of 10 month of having arthroscopy for knee ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tear, I am doing exercise for rehabilitation of my knee. But still my knee is swollen and painful, and my knee condition is not good. I am not getting even to the previous condition of my knee.

Comment from: Gerard Ryan , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I've had medial meniscus tear fixed three months ago and after weeks and weeks of pain I then had to have another arthroscopy to remove a “loose body”. My knee is very swollen still after three weeks and I'm finding it impossible to do my strengthening exercises. I also have grade 4 osteoarthritis but had little trouble from this before my procedures. I feel I'm way worse off because the meniscus tear was causing me very little problems but my knee is now extremely weak and sore and it's impossible to walk without a crutch or stick. I wonder how soon I should expect to see an improvement in my knee function. I understand we are all different but my frustration comes from having a minimal problem to now being immobile.

Comment from: Andra, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I had arthroscopic surgery done in August for a torn meniscus, but it is getting stiffer and stiffer. I went for physical therapy until time was up and now again have trouble walking when I first get up and my knee is stiff.

Comment from: kneemikeusa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 28

I had a medial meniscus tear, left knee. I am 61 and have had a 40 year career as a forester working on steep and uneven terrain. I am right in the middle of BMI weight-wise for my height. I went for nearly a year with, initially, occasional locking of knee that caused some discomfort but not serious pain. I am not a runner, but sometimes run for cardio. About 9 months after first sign of symptoms, I was running and the knee started clicking and just didn't feel right. I still had no serious pain, just a loss of confidence in the knee. I decided to consult an orthopedic surgeon and elected to have meniscectomy. X-rays indicated light arthritis as well as a couple bone spurs (anterior tibial) in addition to MRI indications of tearing/fraying of meniscus. I am now at day 8 after the arthroscopy procedure and have no problem walking normally on level to moderately sloped ground for about a quarter mile. After that distance, continued walking feels inflammatory. There is still substantial swelling but minimal pain. Range of motion is full extension to about 120 degrees flexion. I have probably tried to push exercises a bit too much in order to prevent atrophy of quads and I think this has been counter-productive. I have not had professional physiotherapy; just internet research along with a pretty brief sheet that was handed out day of procedure. My two take-aways are: build up the musculature and work on range of motion right up to the day of procedure if you are able to and, don't be like me and try to overdo things too soon. Exercise patience as much or more as the leg!

Comment from: Jack, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I am 54. I had arthroscopic surgery for a torn medial meniscus. I also had significant chondromalacia under my patella and I had some arthritis in my trochlear area. The surgeon shaved down my posterior medial meniscus, patella, and trochlea. I used crutches the first week, and I weaned off of them the second week. It is the 4th week, and I am getting frustrated because my knee pain hasn't decreased since week 2. I still can't walk down stairs without pain. I can't walk more than 100 feet without significant pain. I still have significant pain sleeping. I guess we have to be patient and hope for the best. Pain ranges around a 3 walking short distances, but gets to a 7 long distance.

Comment from: Bacontrails, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Reading all of these comments have me concerned. I had arthroscopic surgery on 5/4/2017 so I am recouping at home. I fell down the stairs and had two torn menisci, ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tear and two large bone bruises. I started physiotherapy last week and improved my range of motion and I'm walking on one crutch now. My issue is that I still have a huge hematoma which is extremely painful, swollen and bruised. If you're reading this before your own knee surgery, let no one kid you. It is extremely painful. No one told me about the muscle spasms jolting my out of my sleep or swelling and weakness I would experience in the first two weeks after surgery. I'm concerned that I may have pain forever after reading some of these comments. I have had surgery in the past for other areas of the body but nothing has compared to this knee surgery.

Comment from: pammyb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

On June 3, 2016 I had a knee arthroscopy, due to a fall months prior. As of September 12th I can still barely walk, even after cortisone injection less than a month ago and 9 weeks of physical therapy. The pain is excruciating and the swelling from above my knee to foot is unbelievable. I was off work for 10 weeks. I will not return to the original surgeon. Next week I have appointment with another surgeon 60 miles from my home since 3/4 of the orthopedic doctors in my area are affiliated and won't see me and the only other group doesn't accept my insurance.

Comment from: Indymom12, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I had arthroscopic surgery to clean up torn meniscus last July (2015). Right before surgery my knee was starting to feel pretty good. Now 6 months after surgery it is more painful than ever. I have had physical therapy and Synvisc injections. They worked for about 2 months. When I initially tore my meniscus the doctor I had then told me he did not like to do surgery on patients over 40 because it made the arthritis more aggressive and they were usually worse off. I did not want to hear that and wanted my knee fixed. Now I'm thinking he may have been right, since right before the surgery (almost 5 years after the initial tear) my knee was finally starting to feel better.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I had arthroscopic surgery five months ago to scrape arthritis, doctor also said I had torn meniscus and removed part of it. I did great for first two weeks then pain and swelling started. Doctor suggested cortisone injection which lasted two days. Then he suggested Synvisc injections which did nothing. He prescribed Celebrex twice a day. Now I am back in physical therapy and that is making it worse. I am in more pain now than before the surgery. Can hardly walk and in terrible pain all day. I should not have had surgery! I have to see a rheumatologist now; for more drugs probably.

Comment from: Ellie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

In September my right knee felt tight. Two days later, while walking down the steps, I heard a loud crack and I collapsed from pain in my knee. I had a torn meniscus. I had arthroscopic surgery on December 4 and I still have severe pain. I have arthritis in my left knee and have pain in that knee as well. Physical therapy made it worse and the Orthovisc injections have not helped either knee. They are both weak and painful. I wake up every night with aching and I get sharp pains on the medial side of my knee when I walk. I have already lost my job because I can't work (I am a nurse and on my feet 8 to 10 hours a day). My orthopedic doctor acts like it shouldn't be a big deal. He hasn't ordered any more tests. I do have a pain management doctor who ordered an x-ray but I can't get it until I have insurance. I am wondering if it is because there is no more padding between the bones.

Comment from: CamoGal*75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a lateral meniscus tear and had an arthroscopic surgery on 11/7/14. It has now been 3 months and I am attending physical therapy for stability and ROM (range of movement) Issues. Now I have a catching and popping going on and I am told it may be from scar tissue catching. When it catches, it feels like being zapped by an electric fence. I wonder when I will get back to work and my walking routine and other daily activities. I do not like this catching sensation.

Comment from: Herman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 07

I had arthroscopic surgery to my left knee for a severe meniscus tear in 2007. I lived in constant pain prior to my surgery. After a couple of months I was able to go jogging again. Now seven years later I have no issue other than a little pain when the weather changes from hot to cold that lasts a couple of days. But it was a positive experience for me.

Comment from: meg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I had arthroscopic surgery on July 22, 2014 due to constant pain and swelling, removed the plica and a bunch of frayed cartilage. Prior to that I have done 8 weeks of physical therapy. Today Sep 17, 2014 I am currently in physical therapy and I still have swelling and in more pain then before. First surgery was on my right knee and I was supposed to be able to schedule for my left in 4 weeks after the surgery (both my knees are having same symptoms). The orthopedist started me on Neurontin 3 times a day and Mobic daily, and in 3 weeks I go for a synvisc injection. This has been a very long process not to mention I am a floor nurse that works 12 to 13 hour shifts, but have been unable to since my arthroscopic surgery. I not sure if anyone else has been through this but I need assurance that there is a light at the end of my very long tunnel!

Comment from: Jenae, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had arthroscopy for PFS (patella femoral syndrome). Arthroscopic surgery helped clean up the rocks out of my knees, made them run smoother, and helped the doctors understand what was going on in my knees. The surgery scrapes away the bad damaged tissue. Overall this has helped in the diagnosis and treatment of my condition. My current status is waiting for knee replacement when I am old enough. Until then, I walk with a cane. There is pain involved, it's not a magic fix. Don't throw your crutches away until your physical therapist tells you to. Do your knee tightening exercises. They drill three or four holes in your knee. Holes need time to heal. I used to work UPS. I can't do anything like that anymore. Know your body's limits and listen to your body rather than your head.

Comment from: Amy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had an arthroscopy 8 days ago to repair a torn cartilage. I used crutches for a couple of days, only used pain killers for the first day. I can walk, but not very far, going up and down stairs still hurts. Bending my knee is difficult so I"ve not attempted driving yet. My knee clicks when I walk. It seems either sore or there"s a dull ache, but not too bad. I"ve been doing the physiotherapy exercises given by the hospital and they are getting easier. I"ve still got the little bandages on and some blood has shown through in places. I"m desperate for a proper shower!

Comment from: faith5x5, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had arthroscopy 5 days ago for a meniscal tear. My knee is very weak, I have a hard time walking on crutches and the thigh above the knee is very painful to touch. I have to go back to work in at least 3 weeks! I was told this should not be a problem. I now feel disabled.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had a meniscus tear and arthritis in my knee and I had arthroscopic surgery 2 weeks ago and had hardly any pain. It was more pain before the operation and I"m walking without crutches. Now and again if I move knee wrong way I get a grabbing feeling. It certainly depends on the surgeon how your recovery goes. I had a well-known one and I"m very happy as I went for 10 months with pain before doing anything about it. I"m back to work next week.

Comment from: Diana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had arthroscopy done for a torn medial meniscus and arthritis on July 23, 2013. My operation was done at 2:00 p.m., I woke up at 3:00 p.m. and went home at 4:30 p.m. I was able to walk without a crutch right away, slowly, and not for very long distance. I had bruising along the outside of my leg from where they clamped the leg down. That hurt for a couple of weeks. I drove my car four days after surgery but found my leg swelled up. I could not bend my knee while doing stairs for about two weeks, and after two weeks I had my dressing removed. I started my own physical therapy right away, and even started yoga again. It is now a month and a half since the surgery, there is still some stiffness, however I have full range of motion, go for walks, ride my bike, swim, do gentle aerobics and yoga!

Comment from: MySonKeeper, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a knee arthroscopy on my left knee and ligaments reattached. I had my surgery December 4, 2017. I also received a nerve block injected on the side of my left thigh which the surgeon and anesthesia team keep saying it was above my left knee. My left quadriceps has been shut down 7 months and I can't bend my knee at 90 decrees, plus my knee is still stiff. Doing exercises not helping. I wear a knee braces and can barely walk without it. I have a 5 year old who is autistic with speech and developmental delay. Take care.

Comment from: Ljowen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I had meniscus surgery three weeks ago. When walking, I feel a catch in that knee and it pops and grinds. I called and talked to my surgeon's nurse. She said that is normal after arthroscopy.

Comment from: joe blow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My symptoms of colon cancer were constipation and pain in lower right side until bowel movement.

Comment from: mally1234, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Wow, you all scare me. I have torn cartilage and Baker's cyst and did the therapy and was doing well a month. Later I was doing too much and having more pain. Doctor says I have arthritis and tear is still there; and that I should have listened to him. He said I need to lose weight, I lost 5 pounds better than nothing. I'm trying my best but it is hard when I can't do anything. I used to do trails and long walks before all this and I just don't know what to do he says therapy again, but I'm wondering if I should get an arthroscopic surgery.

Comment from: shadow, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I had meniscus tear in both knees. Arthroscopic surgery on one went fine, with the other one I had in October of 2013 I am in terrible pain each day. I had physical therapy for 3 months but can"t walk. I do not know what to do.

Comment from: LOTUS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I had surgery for a torn meniscus on May 17th this year. I was on crutches for 4 days, could not bend my knee to put my leg down. I walked with a cane for 5 days and decided I did not want to use it so I forced myself to walk without assistance. When I went back for my post examination I was fine and went to physical therapy for a month. Now 6 months later my knee, thigh right above my kneecap is swelling every night. My knee looks deformed. I am going to schedule a visit with my orthopedic surgeon to find out why this is happening.

Comment from: gayle2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had arthroscopic surgery for 2 torn menisci. I did well for about 10 days and then pain returned with a vengeance. I was told there was enough fluid in the knee but instead of removing, had gel injections. My knee is worse than ever with no hopes of getting better.

Comment from: brun, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I had an arthroscopy for a torn meniscus two days ago. It's the best thing I ever did - instant pain relief, no swelling as yet, but able to walk without crutches. I had same thing done on the right knee 5 years ago, no trouble since then. I will keep up with exercises.

Comment from: Solarman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I had an arthroscopy on both knees at the same time thought it might save time, after 4 weeks things were going good until my knee gave way tore the ligament in the left knee off for another 4 weeks with crutches etc., this was 6 months ago and I am still in pain some days worse than others popping pain killers every 4hrs and inflammatory pills, I have got osteoarthritis which has given me a Bakers Cyst which is causing more pain than ever. Having physio at the moment, there's talk of a partial or new knee replacement. Totally fed up.

Comment from: Virginia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I had arthroscopy of the knee 4 weeks ago for pain getting up and down from sitting. There was a bacterial infection noted the 2nd week of therapy. Bruising was from just above the toes to 6 inches below the hip. This covered the front and side of the knee, front and back of knee and up the outer part of leg to 6 in below the hip. Dr took me off of therapy and work for 2 more weeks. He has no idea why this happened. I am not on meds that would make me bleed. He said I need replacement and I do not want this to happen.

Comment from: Zygote, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I have had arthroscopic knee surgery 6 weeks ago. I still get sharp twinges of pain and stairs are difficult. However, I have no swelling, but something is wrong.

Comment from: Dee , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I had arthroscopic knee surgery 10 weeks back and am still having pain on the side and it buckles or gives out some times.

Comment from: Ange1q, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had the arthroscopy surgery on April 4th and on April 26th was sent back to work due to compensation. I work in a factory building modular homes on ladders and kneeling 10 hours a day. I have been only back a little over two weeks and my whole leg is now in pain, and swollen.

Comment from: Mel82, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had five knee arthroscopy surgeries in one month in January/February 2018. It's now mid-May and I'm still on crutches. I wonder when I will walk again.

Comment from: Encha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 20

I had a knee arthroscopy last 11/21/16 and 12 days later I was able to walk about 8 miles for the entire day (slow walking and limping). I still have pain and tightness on my knee but manageable.

Comment from: Glo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I had an arthroscopy in July and I'm in more pain now than before I had it done. I was very active and fit before now I can barely walk, the pain is so bad I could cry, especially in the evening; it is like toothache in the bone. I have had injections, bought most over the counter creams, but nothing works. My surgeon has discharged me and said I have to put up with the pain as there's nothing else he can do. I was a nurse and I am glad I'm retired as I wouldn't be able to go back to work like this. He suggested I use my knee as much as possible but then I suffer in the evening. It is really getting me down.

Comment from: Eclectic, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I had a knee replacement a year ago. I can only walk with a support and a stick. The doctor told me everything is all right on the x-ray, but walking without supports hurts badly and the doctor has no clue why that is. I had plenty of therapy. I am mad.

Comment from: roxmcg1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I had arthroscopy in September although I have no pain when walking now, I still can't kneel or put any weight or pressure on it, it is even a little sore to the touch.

Comment from: DVT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I have had 2 knee arthroscopies done already on my right knee, however recently I have been experiencing severe pain and numbness in my right knee again.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I had total knee replacement a year ago, have scar tissue, now the doctor wants to do arthroscopic procedure. When checking I did not see this being done on total knee replacement.

Comment from: Ria, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had arthroscopy for meniscus tear of 6 cm and Baker's cyst.

Comment from: Fidele, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I had arthoscopy 23 days ago for a torn meniscus. I am 65 yrs old and a surgeon told me that my knee was not that bad (arthritis). Told me this operation (meniscus) would help ease the pain 75 to 80 percent. I did the exercises, went to physio, the pain is real bad if not worse. It gets very warm, especially at night, it is real stiff. My knee can bend but it hurts the moment I start walking, so I am limited. I think I lost my time and money doing that operation not to mention the fact that I was extremely nervous. I am seeing the surgeon next week for the sixth time since the operation. I don't expect much.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: October 11

I had arthoscopic surgery on my L knee 5 months ago because I had a tear meniscus, know I feel worse, I keep developing different problems from it, know I have a pinch nerve, sensitive nerve, tear disc and so much, much pain and the sad thing that I can't take anything for the pain because I'm sensitive to all medication I have been put in.

Comment from: Ortho Patient, 45-54 (Patient) Published: June 15

I have had a scope on my right knee ten weeks ago. My knee pain is worse than before I had the surgery along with swelling. It seems as if I have some fluid on the knee. I have used ice and elevation neither helps it. I will be following up with my surgeon this week.

Comment from: brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I had knee arthroscopy for a torn meniscus 5 months ago. I'm far worse off than before I had the surgery. The pain is no better, and now in addition I have swelling that won't subside. I've had the fluid drained twice along with cortisone shots, which only last a few weeks. This is so frustrating!

Comment from: JLO, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had arthroscopic knee surgery June 29th 2012. Its just about 4 weeks now. I am still having pain.. The doctor cleaned up the debris, fixed a torn meniscus, also did something to the plica band. I had a total replacement 2 years ago,that was a breeze to this surgery. After that surgery I was walking great in 3 weeks.. I just want to know if this is normal. This pain is so different from the previous surgery.. Has anyone experienced this?

Comment from: trev, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I had arthroscopy on both knees four months ago. The first few weeks were great but as time has progressed there seems little improvement in knee pain or use. I have recently been put back on Celebrex, and anti-inflammatories but don't wish to continue on this medication indefinably although it really is helping. I feel looseness in the joint and my knee feels less stable. Hopefully maybe time is all that is required for my knees to get used to change.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter