Arthritis refers to inflammation of the joints. It affects people of all ages and has many different causes. There are over 100 arthritis conditions.
Signs and symptoms of arthritis depend on the exact type of arthritis. The hallmark symptom is joint pain, although other signs and symptoms can include
- joint stiffness or soreness,
- joint tenderness,
- joint swelling,
- skin redness, or
- joint deformity.
Arthritis can affect joints throughout the body -- in the hands, feet, ankles, wrists, knees, hip, back, or neck. Other associated symptoms and signs can include
- difficulty walking,
- muscle weakness,
- bony outgrowths near the joints,
- locking of the joint, and
- decreased range of motion of the joints.
Causes of arthritis
Infections, wear and tear on the body, inherited conditions, trauma, or other disorders can cause arthritis.
Other arthritis symptoms and signs
- Bony Outgrowths Near the Joints
- Decreased Range of Motion of the Joints
- Difficulty Walking
- Joint Deformity
- Joint Stiffness or Soreness
- Joint Swelling
- Joint Tenderness
- Locking of the Joint
- Muscle Weakness
- Skin Redness
Main Article on Arthritis Symptoms and Signs
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Arthritis: 16 Bad Habits That Cause Joint Pain
Being overweight, wearing uncomfortable shoes, or carrying a heavy purse can make joint pain and arthritis symptoms worse. Some...
Arthritis: Causes and Treatment for Joint Stiffness and Pain
Arthritis and injuries can leave your joints swollen, tender, and damaged. Discover treatments for morning stiffness, sore...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
Examples of Medications for Arthritis Symptoms and Signs
- Biologics (Biologic Drug Class)
- capsaicin topical
- ColciGel (colchicinum 4X)
- grape seed extract
- ibuprofen (NSAID)
- Licart (diclofenac epolamine)
- Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- pau d’arco
- Prednisone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- sea cucumber
- Side Effects of Celebrex (celecoxib)
- Triesence (triamcinolone acetonide)
- trolamine salicylate
- Types of Arthritis Medications
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Arthritis Newsletter