Trending Arthritis Topics
Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints, as well as other organs in the body. Because it can affect multiple other organs of the body, rheumatoid arthritis is referred to as a systemic illness and is sometimes called rheumatoid disease.
View a picture of Lyme disease which is transmitted through a bite from a specific type of tick carried by mice, deer, raccoons, opossums, skunks, squirrels and other animals. Learn about the signs and symptoms as well as what the disease looks like.
Related Disease Conditions
12 Early Signs of Arthritis in Hands
Hand arthritis occurs when there is inflammation in one or more joints of the hand and wrist. A few of the common types of...
14 Early Signs of Arthritis in the Legs
Leg arthritis affects the joints of the hips, knees, ankles or feet. The early signs and symptoms of arthritis in the legs...
17 Early Signs of Arthritis in the Back
Arthritis in the back arises due to the inflammation of facet joints in the spine or sacroiliac joints between the spine and the...
A bursa is a fluid-filled sac found in the joints that cushions them. Bursitis is an inflammation of the bursae, most commonly...
Alkaptonuria is a condition that causes urine to turn black when exposed to air. Alkaptonuria is inherited, and usually appears...
Amyloidosis is a group of diseases resulting from abnormal deposition of certain proteins (amyloids) in various bodily areas. The...
Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis that causes chronic inflammation of the spine. The tendency to develop ankylosing...
Antiphospholipid syndrome (phospholipid antibody syndrome or Hughes syndrome) is an immune system disorder with symptoms that...
Arthritis (Joint Inflammation)
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Arthritis in Knee: 4 Stages of Osteoarthritis
Painful joint swelling is called arthritis. Osteoarthritis is due to wear and tear of the joints over many years. Arthritis maye...
Aseptic necrosis (avascular necrosis or osteonecrosis) develops when blood supply diminishes to an area of bone and causes bone...
A Baker's cyst, also called a popliteal cyst, is swelling caused by knee joint fluid protruding to the back of the knee...
Behçet's syndrome is a disease characterized by three symptoms: genital ulcers, recurring mouth ulcers, and...
Bone spurs are pointy outgrowths of bone that develop in areas of inflammation or injury. They commonly occur on the heel and...
Bullous pemphigoid is a skin disease that causes blistering eruptions on the skin's surface and sometimes affects the inner...
The common bunion, an enlargement of the inner portion of the joint at the base of the big toe, primarily affects women. The...
Calcific bursitis is the calcification of the bursa caused by chronic inflammation of the bursa. Calcific bursitis most commonly...
Can Scoliosis Be Treated With Surgery?
Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine. Learn treatments for scoliosis and when surgery may be required....
Causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder (the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks its own cells). Certain factors...
Connective Tissue (CT) Disease
Connective tissue disease is when the body's connective tissues come under attack, possibly becoming injured by inflammation....
Costochondritis and Tietze Syndrome
Costochondritis is inflammation of the cartilage where the ribs attach to the sternum. Tietze syndrome affects the same region of...
De Quervain's Tenosynovitis
De Quervain's tenosynovitis is inflammation of the tendon on the side of the wrist at the base of the thumb. De Quervain's...
Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis
Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH or Forestier's disease) is a form of degenerative arthritis. It is characterized...
The shoulder is the most often dislocated joint in the body due to its mobility. Dislocation occurs when the head of the humerus...
Do Steroids Help With Arthritis?
Arthritis is the inflammation of one or more joints in the body. The disease is one of the most common chronic health conditions...
A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring...
Early Signs and Symptoms of Arthritis in Knuckles
Pain, swelling, and tenderness are usually considered as early signs and symptoms of knuckle arthritis. Tiny bumps pop out on the...
Early Signs and Symptoms of Arthritis in Thumb
The earliest sign and symptom of thumb arthritis is pain, swelling, and tenderness with activities that involve pinching action....
Early Signs of Arthritis in Shoulder
Early signs and symptoms of arthritis in the shoulder include pain in the shoulder joint that's worse when lifting heavy objects,...
Early Signs of Arthritis in the Feet
There are more than 30 joints in the ankle and feet. Arthritis can affect one or multiple joints in the feet. Excess weight,...
Early Signs of Arthritis in the Fingers
The earliest signs of arthritis are pain, swelling and stiffness. If these symptoms are experienced in the fingers, it is likely...
Early Signs of Arthritis in the Knee
Arthritis refers to the redness and swelling of the joints. It usually develops slowly over 10 to 15 years, interfering with...
Early Signs of Arthritis in the Wrist
Wrist arthritis is inflammation (swelling) of one or more joints of the wrist. Wrist arthritis is long-lasting or permanent and...
Enthesitis and Enthesopathy
The area where ligament or tendon inserts to bone is called the enthesis. Inflammation of the enthesis is called enthesitis. An...
Eosinophilic Fasciitis (Shulman's Syndrome)
Eosinophilic fasciitis is a skin disease that causes thickening and inflammation of the skin and fascia. Symptoms include...
Essential Mixed Cryoglobulinemia
Essential mixed cryoglobulinemia is a condition caused by abnormal blood proteins called cryoglobulins. Symptoms include joint...
Felty's syndrome is a complication of long-term rheumatoid arthritis. Felty's syndrome is defined by the presence of three...
Flatfoot (Pes Planus)
Flatfoot is a disorder in which the foot's entire sole is touching the ground while standing. Symptoms and signs of flatfoot...
Fungal arthritis is inflammation of a joint by a fungus that has invaded the body and is growing in the normally sterile joint....
A ganglion is a fluid-filled cyst that forms from the joint or tendon lining. Ganglia are most frequently found in the ankles and...
Giant Cell Arteritis (GCA or Temporal Arteritis)
Giant cell arteritis, inflammation of blood vessel walls, affects 10%-15% of polymyalgia rheumatica patients. Symptoms of giant...
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP or anaphylactoid purpura), a type of blood vessel inflammation, results in rash, arthritis, and...
Bursitis of the hip results when the fluid-filled sac (bursa) near the hip becomes inflamed due to localized soft tissue trauma...
How Do You Get Rid of Gout Pain Fast?
Learn what medical treatments can help ease your gout symptoms and speed up your recovery....
How Is Sjogren's Syndrome Diagnosed and Treated?
Sjogren's syndrome is characterized by dry eyes and dry mouth. Learn about this autoimmune disease and how to treat Sjogren's...
How Serious Is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic inflammatory disorder that typically affects the joints and other body parts, such as the...
Hydroxyapatite Crystal Disease
Hydroxyapatite crystal disease is the inflammation caused by hydroxyapatite crystals. These tiny crystals of hydroxyapatite...
The joint hypermobility syndrome is a condition in which the joints easily move beyond the normal range expected for a particular...
Is Lupus Contagious?
Systemic lupus erythematosus in an inflammatory disease. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, fever, and rash. Though lupus is...
Is Turmeric Good for Ankylosing Spondylitis?
Ankylosing spondylitis is an inflammatory joint condition. There is no evidence of effectiveness of turmeric in people with...
Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis (JRA)
Juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA) annually affects one child in every thousand. There are six types of JRA. Treatment of...
Juvenile Bone Health
Setting a good example for your children when it comes to diet and exercise will help them to make healthy decisions about...
Bursitis of the knee results when any of the three fluid-filled sacs (bursae) become inflamed due to injury or strain. Symptoms...
Knee injuries, especially meniscus tears, are common in contact sports. Symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus include knee pain,...
Kyphosis is an outward curvature of the thoracic spine (upper back). Kyphosis results in the appearance of a hunchback, which is...
Lumbar lordosis or "swayback," lower back curvature), in children, adults, and women who are pregnant is an abnormal posture with...
Second Source article from WebMD...
Second Source article from Government...
What Is Lyme Disease in Humans?
Lyme disease is a bacterial illness, which is spread by ticks when they bite the skin. Initially the disease affects the skin...
Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD)
Connective tissue diseases are disorders featuring abnormalities involving the collagen and elastin. Connective tissue diseases...
What Is the Most Common Cause of Septic Arthritis in Kids?
Septic arthritis can be caused by bacterial, fungal or viral infections. Staphylococcus aureus, a type of bacteria, is the most...
Neck Pain (Cervical Pain)
Neck pain (cervical pain) may be caused by any number of disorders and diseases. Tenderness is another symptom of neck pain....
Non-Radiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA)
Non-radiographic spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA) is an inflammatory arthritis that mainly affects the joints of the spine. Morning...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Second Source article from Government...
Osteoarthritis and Treatment
Painful swelling of the joints due to wear and tear over many years is called osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis may develop in any...
Osteoarthritis vs. Osteoporosis Differences and Similarities
Arthritis is defined as painful inflammation and joint stiffness. Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis and the most common cause...
Osteoarthritis vs. Rheumatoid Arthritis
Osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are chronic joint disorders. RA is also an autoimmune disease. OA and RA...
With osteochondritis dissecans, bone and its adjacent cartilage loses its blood supply. Though osteochondritis dissecans can...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Learn about osteoporosis, a condition characterized by the loss of bone density, which leads to an increased risk of bone...
Paget's disease, also called Paget's disease of bone, is a chronic bone disorder due to irregular breakdown and formation of bone...
Chondromalacia Patella (Patellofemoral Syndrome)
Chondromalacia patella (housemaid's knee or secretary's knee) results from misalignment of the kneecap as it slides over the...
Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS)
Pigmented villonodular synovitis (PVNS) is unusual growth of the tissue that lines the tendons in the body (synovium) and...
Plant Thorn Synovitis
Plant thorn synovitis (plant thorn arthritis) is joint inflammation caused by a thorn puncturing the joint and leaving residual...
Polyarteritis nodosa is a rare autoimmune disease characterized by spontaneous inflammation of the arteries of the body. The most...
Polymyositis and Dermatomyositis
Polymyositis is a disease of the muscle featuring inflammation of the muscle fibers. It results in weakness of the muscles which...
Pseudogout, a form of arthritis, results when deposits of crystals collect in and around the joints. Symptoms of pseudogout...
Pseudoxanthoma elasticum (PXE) is a genetic disorder. Signs and symptoms include small yellow-white raised areas in the skin...
Psoriatic arthritis is a disease that causes skin and joint inflammation. Symptoms and signs include painful, stiff, and swollen...
Quackery of Arthritis
Arthritis patients are sometimes vulnerable to quackery (the business of promoting unproven remedies). These "quick fix"...
Raynaud's phenomenon is characterized by a pale-blue-red sequence of color changes of the digits, most commonly after exposure to...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type 1, CRPS)
Reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome (RSD) is a condition that features atypical symptoms including pain (often "burning" type),...
Relapsing polychondritis is an uncommon, chronic disorder of the cartilage that is characterized by recurrent episodes of...
Repetitive Motion Disorders (RMDs)
Repetitive motion disorders (RMDs) are muscular conditions that result from repeated motions. Carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger...
Rheumatic fever is a disease that sometimes occurs after a group A streptococcal infection of the throat. Symptoms and signs...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Second Source article from Government...
Are People With Rheumatoid Arthritis Higher Risk for COVID-19?
Individuals with RA have poor immune responses because of the disease itself and the medications they are on. This puts them at a...
Pain Management and Rheumatoid Arthritis
Second Source article from WebMD...
16 Early Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Symptoms and Signs
Early RA symptoms and signs vary differently from person to person. The most common body parts that are initially affected by RA...
Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Arthritis
Arthritis is a general term used to describe joint disease. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a type of arthritis in which the body’s...
Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Fibromyalgia
Though rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia have similar symptoms, RA is an autoimmune disease and fibromyalgia is a...
Rheumatology is the study of rheumatic diseases and conditions. Rheumatologists are internal medicine physicians who treat these...
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction (SI Joint Pain)
Sacroiliac joint (SI) dysfunction is a general term to reflect pain in the SI joints. Causes of SI joint pain include...
SAPHO syndrome is a chronic disorder that involves the skin, bone, and joints. SAPHO syndrome is an eponym for the combination of...
Sarcoidosis, a disease resulting from chronic inflammation, causes small lumps (granulomas) to develop in a great range of body...
Scleroderma is an autoimmune disease of the connective tissue. It is characterized by the formation of scar tissue (fibrosis) in...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
Sever condition is an inflammation of the growth plate of the bone at the back of the heel where the Achilles tendon attaches....
Shoulder bursitis is inflammation of the shoulder bursa. Bursitis may be caused by injury, infection, or a rheumatic condition....
Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease involving the abnormal production of extra antibodies that attack the glands and...
Spondylitis vs. Spondylosis: What’s the Difference?
What is the difference between spondylitis vs. spondylosis?...
The five types of spondylolisthesis include dysplastic, isthmic, degenerative, traumatic, and pathologic. The most common symptom...
Still's disease (systemic-onset juvenile rheumatoid arthritis) is a disorder characterized by inflammation with high fever...
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)
Systemic lupus erythematosus is a condition characterized by chronic inflammation of body tissues caused by autoimmune disease....
Takayasu disease (also referred to as Takayasu arteritis) is a chronic inflammation of the aorta and its branch arteries....
Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS)
Thoracic outlet syndrome is a condition where symptoms are produced from compression of nerves or blood vessels because the...
A torn meniscus (knee cartilage) may be caused by suddenly stopping, sharply twisting, or deep squatting or kneeling when lifting...
How to Get Rid of Bone Spurs
A bone spur is a small, sharp outgrowth of bone. They can come from local trauma to the bone, cartilage or tendon near where a...
Trigger Finger (Stenosing Tenosynovitis)
Trigger finger (stenosing tenosynovitis) is a condition in which a finger tries to snap closed while gripping. This painful...
Vasculitis (arteritis, angiitis) is a general term for a group of uncommon diseases which feature inflammation of the blood...
Granulomatosis With Polyangiitis
Granulomatosis with polyangiitis is a condition that usually affects young or middle-aged adults, is an inflammation of the...
What Are the 12 Symptoms of Lupus?
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system of the body attacks healthy tissue. It...
What Are the 4 Types of Lupus?
Lupus is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks healthy tissue. It affects the joints, skin, brain, lungs,...
What Are the Best Exercises for Osteoporosis?
What is osteoporosis and how can exercise help? Learn the best exercises for living with osteoporosis and how exercise can...
What Are the Causes of Spondylosis?
What is spondylosis, and what are spondylosis symptoms? Learn the causes of spondylosis and how spondylosis is treated....
What Are the Four Types of Lupus?
Lupus is an autoimmune disease in which the immune system attacks healthy tissue. It affects joints, skin, brain, lungs, kidneys...
What Are the Most Common Knee Injuries?
Knee injuries can happen at any age. Learn about the signs of knee injury, the most common types of injury, and how they can be...
What Happens if You Go Untreated for Lyme Disease?
An inflammatory disease that is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi, which is transmitted to humans by the deer tick....
What Are the Symptoms of Hip Dysplasia?
Hip dysplasia, also known as developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH), is an abnormal development of the hip joint that causes...
What Causes Costochondritis to Flare Up?
Costochondritis, sometimes called chest wall pain or costosternal syndrome, is a painful inflammation of the cartilage...
What Foods Are Good and Bad for Sjogren’s Syndrome?
What is Sjogren’s Syndrome? Learn more about this autoimmune disorder, what causes it, good and bad foods, and how it is treated....
What Foods Cause Gout?
What is gout? Learn the signs of gout and what to do if you think you have it....
What Happens if a Baker's Cyst Goes Untreated?
What causes a Baker's cyst, and what happens if it goes untreated? Learn the signs of Baker's cysts and when to see a doctor....
What Is the Best Treatment for Temporal Arteritis?
Learn what medical treatments will help you treat temporal arteritis and help you manage this condition....
What Is The Best Way to Treat Bursitis?
Learn what medical treatments can treat your bursitis symptoms and ways to manage bursitis....
What Is the Fastest Way To Heal Bursitis of the Hip?
Learn what medical treatments can help ease your hip bursitis symptoms and help you manage this condition....
What Is the Main Cause of Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a chronic degenerative disease of the joints affecting middle-aged and elderly people. It involves the...
What Is The Main Cause of Osteoporosis?
Osteoporosis is a bone disorder. Learn more about osteoporosis, what causes it, common symptoms, how it's diagnosed, and what you...
What Are the Four Stages of Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disease characterized by pain and inflammation in joints, typically of the hands...
What Is Usually the First Sign of Lupus?
Fatigue, fever, joint pain and weight changes are usually the first signs of lupus. Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is an...
What Triggers Sjogren's Syndrome?
What is Sjogren's syndrome, and what causes it? Learn the symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome, how Sjogren's syndrome is diagnosed,...
What Triggers Temporal Arteritis and Is It Serious?
Temporal arteritis is a rare but serious autoimmune disorder. Learn the critical early signs of temporal arteritis, how temporal...
Which Foods Make Arthritis Worse?
Certain foods can contribute to arthritis joint inflammation, like processed foods high in salt, alcohol, red meat and others....
Will Psoriatic Arthritis Cripple Me?
Psoriatic arthritis is a long-standing inflammatory disorder that affects three out of every 10 people with psoriasis. It cannot...
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Acute Systemic Lupus
Acute systemic lupus erythematosus. See a picture of Acute Systemic Lupus and learn more about the health topic....
Ankylosing Spondylitis Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
What is ankylosing spondylitis? Take this quiz to learn the causes, symptoms, and treatments for this painful disorder....
Ankylosing Spondylitis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatment
What is ankylosing spondylitis (AS)? Ankylosing spondylitis is arthritis of the spine. Learn diet and exercise tips for AS, and...
Arthritis: 16 Bad Habits That Cause Joint Pain
Being overweight, wearing uncomfortable shoes, or carrying a heavy purse can make joint pain and arthritis symptoms worse. Some...
Arthritis: Causes and Treatment for Joint Stiffness and Pain
Arthritis and injuries can leave your joints swollen, tender, and damaged. Discover treatments for morning stiffness, sore...
Arthritis: Supplements for Joint Pain
Can supplements help relieve joint pain and swelling? Find out how certain compounds may aid your stiff, tender joints....
Arthritis: Ways to Ease Hip Pain
Health habits, home remedies, and other ways you can find relief when your hips hurt....
Back Pain: Common Spine Problems
That stack of little bones along the center of your back has a key role to support and control your body. What happens when...
Back Pain: A Visual Guide to Herniated Disks
Have you felt pain shooting down your leg from your lower back or rear end? It may be that one of the disks that separate the...
Picture of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
A type of compression neuropathy (nerve damage) caused by compression and irritation of the median nerve in the wrist. See a...
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Quiz: Symptoms & Treatment
Exhausted all the time? Maybe it's not all in the mind. Take the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) Quiz to learn more about tricky...
Gout Diet: The Best and Worst Foods for Your Menu
Whether you get gout can depend on your diet. Some foods like red meat, alcohol, and high-fructose corn syrup in sodas can raise...
Picture of Gout
Condition characterized by abnormally elevated levels of uric acid in the blood, recurring attacks of joint inflammation...
Gout Attack Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Diet
Gout attacks (gouty arthritis) are caused by crystals of uric acid deposits. Learn about symptoms, causes, treatments and...
Gout Quiz: What is Gout? Is There a Gout Diet?
Learn what causes those painful crystals to form during a gout flare. Take the Gout Quiz to learn all about this painful...
Picture of Hip
Hip pain is the sensation of discomfort in or around the hip joint, where the upper end (head) of the thigh bone (femur) fits...
Picture of Knee Joint
The knee joint has three parts. See a picture of Knee Joint and learn more about the health topic....
OA Knee Replacement: Before and After
Find out what to expect with knee replacement surgery in this WebMD slideshow....
Picture of Lupus
A chronic inflammatory condition caused by an autoimmune disease. See a picture of Lupus Rash and learn more about the health...
What Is Lupus? Symptoms, Rash, and Treatment
What is Lupus? Learn about lupus symptoms like butterfly rash, joint pain and fatigue. Find causes, diagnosis, and treatments for...
Picture of Lyme Disease
Lyme disease is transmitted through a bite from a specific type of tick. See a picture of Lyme Disease and learn more about the...
What Is Lyme Disease? Symptoms, Rash, Treatments
What is Lyme disease? Learn about symptoms and testing for Lyme disease, whether it is curable, and signs of Lyme disease caused...
Lyme Disease Quiz: Symptoms & Signs
What you do not know about Lyme disease may surprise you. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of this...
Neck Pain: Causes and Treatment for Relief
What causes chronic neck pain? If you have poor posture, bad sleep habits, or spine problems, these issues can lead to a stiff...
Exercises for Osteoarthritis -- Yoga, Swimming, & More
Check out this slideshow on Active Living From Day to Night with Osteoarthritis. Even with arthritis you can keep your active...
Fun With Kids? Don't Let Arthritis Stop You
You can still have lots of fun with children despite arthritis. Our experts uncover ways to spend time with your kids or...
Tips for Healthy Joints: Exercise, Nutrition, & More in Pictures
Dealing with joint pain and arthritis? Learn why weight matters--and why NOT to stretch before exercise. See these solutions for...
Exercises for Knee Osteoarthritis and Joint Pain
Learn about osteoarthritis and exercises that relieve knee osteoarthritis pain, stiffness and strengthen the knee joint and...
Osteoarthritis: 15 Tips to Improve Daily Living With OA
Osteoarthritis joint pain can make it hard to carry out activities of daily living. Cartilage destruction can cause symptoms like...
Osteoarthritis (OA): Treatment, Symptoms, Diagnosis
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disease most often affecting major joints such as knees, hands, back, or hips....
Picture of Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis that is caused by the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more...
Pain Management: All About Your Knees
They do their job so well that you might take them for granted. Learn how they're put together, what can go wrong with them, and...
Pain Management: Signs Your Muscle Pain Is Something Else
Could your achy muscles be a sign of more than a tough workout? Learn when a twinge might warrant a visit to the doctor's office....
Psoriatic Arthritis Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis
Psoriatic arthritis pain can be treated. Get more information on the causes, symptoms, diagnosis, and medications for psoriatic...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Exercises Slideshow: Joint-Friendly Fitness Routines
Regular exercise boosts fitness and helps reverse joint stiffness for people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Our experts offer...
What Is Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)? Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)? Learn about treatment, diagnosis, and the symptoms of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Discover...
Rheumatoid Arthritis Quiz: What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
How is rheumatoid arthritis different from other forms of arthritis, such as osteoarthritis and gout? Take the Rheumatoid...
Rheumatoid Arthritis: RA Food Myths and Facts
Is there really an RA diet? Learn the truth from WebMD about which foods can ease your symptoms and which you should avoid....
Famous Faces With Rheumatoid Arthritis
Learn more about the famous faces of rheumatoid arthritis such as Lucille Ball, Glenn Frey, and more....
Picture of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus 2
Erythematous, edematous plaques appear in a "butterfly" distribution on the face. See a picture of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus...
Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Quiz: Test Your SLE IQ
This Lupus Quiz covers causes, signs, symptoms, facts, and treatments for this inflammatory autoimmune disease....
Tendinitis: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment
If your tendons get irritated and swollen, you might have tendinitis. Learn the symptoms and find out how you can prevent and...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Antinuclear Antibody Test
- Physical and Occupational Therapy for Arthritis
- Citrulline Antibody
- Cortisone Injection
- CT Scan vs. MRI
- Using Superficial Heat and Cold Applications for Treatment
- How Do You Release a Trapped Ulnar Nerve?
- How Is Knee Arthrocentesis Performed?
- How Long Does a Supraclavicular Nerve Block Last?
- How Long Does It Take to Recover From a Triple Arthrodesis?
- When Is an Intra-Articular Methylene Blue Injection Used?
- Joint Aspiration (Arthrocentesis)
- Joint Replacement Surgery of the Hand
- What Is an Osteochondral Grafting of Articular Cartilage Injuries?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Lupus: Differences and Similarities
- Rheumatoid Factor
- What Can I Expect After a Sacroiliac Joint Injection?
- Sedimentation Rate
- Steroids: for the Treatment of Arthritis
- Total Hip Replacement
- Knee Replacement Surgery and Recovery Time
- What Are the Four Stages of Osteoarthritis?
- What Does It Mean to Reduce a Shoulder Dislocation?
- What Is a Bunions (Hallux Valgus) Osteotomy?
- What Is a Hemiarthroplasty of the Shoulder?
- What Is a Medial Epicondyle Injection For?
- What Is a Metatarsophalangeal Arthrocentesis?
- What Is a Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement Surgery?
- What Is a Putti-Platt Procedure?
- What Is an Ulnar Gutter Splint Used For?
- What Is an Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty?
- What Is Ankle Arthrocentesis?
- What Is Elbow Arthrocentesis?
- What Is Hip Arthroscopy?
- What Is Joint Aspiration (Arthrocentesis)?
- What Is Metacarpophalangeal Arthrocentesis?
- What Is Reduction of Finger Dislocation?
- What Is Tendon Transfer Surgery?
- What Is the Best Treatment for Arthritis?
- What Is the Best Treatment for Osteoarthritis?
- What Is the Treatment for Septic Arthritis?
- What Is Volar Splinting?
- When Is a Thumb Injection Needed?
- Why Is Wrist Arthrocentesis Performed?
- Ankle Pain
- Ankylosing Spondylitis (Bechterew's Disease)
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome
- Baker's Cyst
- Behcet's Syndrome
- Buttock Pain
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)
- Cold Fingers
- Connective Tissue Disease
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis (DISH)
- Ehlers-Danlos Syndromes
- Elbow Pain
- Finger Pain
- Foot Pain
- Giant Cell Arteritis
- Granulomatosis With Polyangiitis (GPA)
- Heel Pain
- Hip Pain
- Joint Cracking (Joint Popping)
- Joint Deformity
- Joint Pain
- Joint Redness
- Joint Stiffness
- Joint Warmth
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
- Kawasaki Disease
- Knee Pain
- Loss of Temperature Sensation
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE)
- Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD)
- Non-Radiographic Axial Spondyloarthritis (nr-axSpA)
- Hand and Finger Numbness
- Numbness Toes
- Osteochondritis Dissecans
- Paget's Disease of Bone
- Patellofemoral Syndrome
- Pigmented Villonodular Synovitis (PVNS)
- Plant Thorn Arthritis
- Polyarteritis Nodosa (PAN)
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Raynaud's Phenomenon
- Reactive Arthritis
- Repetitive Motion Disorder
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Dysfunction
- Septic Arthritis
- Shoulder Pain
- Sjogren's Syndrome
- Swollen Ankles and/or Swollen Feet
- Swollen Joints
- Swollen Knee
- Toe Pain
- Trigger Finger
- Unsteady Gait
- Wrist Pain
- 5 Surprising Facts About Rheumatoid Arthritis
- What Is ANA-Negative Lupus?
- What Is a Healthy Range of Antinuclear Antibodies (ANAs)?
- Does Double-Stranded DNA Mean You Have Lupus?
- Ankylosing Spondylitis and Pregnancy
- Can Radiation Treat Ankylosing Spondylitis?
- Arthritis Drugs & New Medications-2001 National Meeting Reports
- Arthritis: 2001 Reports from National Meeting
- Arthritis Medications
- Arthritis National Meeting 2005 Reports
- Arthritis or Injury: Ice or Heat - Which To Apply
- Arthritis Roller Coaster
- Arava Approved For Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Arthritis: 2002 National Arthritis Meeting
- Arthritis - Whether Weather Affects Arthritis
- Ask the Experts - Rheumatology
- Can You Get Gout in Your Back?
- Bacterium Discovered In Arteries With Giant Cell Arteritis
- Gout - Arthritis Meeting 2003
- Gout & Aspirin
- Can Gout Cause Aplastic Anemia?
- Can I Get a Massage with Spondylitis?
- Can My Diet Improve Arthritis?
- Smoking: A New Risk - Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Can Surgery Cure Raynaud's Disease?
- Gout & Pseudogout - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Can You Prevent Osteoarthritis?
- Not Carpal Tunnel, but Tendinitis
- Can You Regrow Cartilage?
- Celebrex - New Arthritis Drug
- What Is the Prognosis for Osteoarthritis?
- Arthritis in Children - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Chondroitin & Glucosamine & NSAID's
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Benefits
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Effectiveness
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Indications
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Other Use
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Side Effects
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Success
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: Supervision
- Chondroitin Sulfate & Glucosamine: What is it?
- Chronotherapy - Tunes In to Body's Rhythms
- Are Lupus and Psychosis Connected?
- Coping With Chronic Rheumatic Diseases
- Are Corticosteroids Safe for Pregnant and Nursing Women with Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Cox-2 Inhibitors Dilemma: What Patients Should Do
- Does Discoid Lupus Cause Enlarged Spleen?
- What Is a Good DISH Diet and Fitness Routine?
- The Cox-2 Inhibitors Controversy: Q&A with Dr. Shiel
- Doctor Visit - Do You Mind - If I Come In Too
- Doctors and Patients Working Together
- Does Eating Meat Make Tendonitis Worse?
- Does Lipitor Help Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Pain and Stress: Endorphins: Natural Pain and Stress Fighters
- What Kind of Doctor Treats Ankylosing Spodylitis & Reactive Arthritis?
- Gout: 2004 Perspectives
- Arthritis: Dr. Shiels Handshake
- Can Glucosamine Treat Arthritis?
- Should You Exercise with Gout Inflammation?
- Can You Get Gout in Your Small Toe?
- Can Gout Nodules Be Surgically Removed?
- Gout Symptoms
- Can Blood Pressure Make Gout Worse?
- Is HCQ Safe For Pregnant Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)?
- Are Hidradenitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis Related?
- Hip Bursitis Treatment
- What Causes Early Onset of Hip Osteoarthritis?
- Hip Fracture Prevention - Hip Protectors
- Holiday Message from Dr. Shiel
- What Are Home Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- How Accurate Are Skin Biopsies?
- How Can I Get Rid of Heberden's Nodes?
- How Do Arthritis Symptoms Start?
- How Is Arthritis Diagnosed?
- Is Inflammatory Arthritis the Same as Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Is Anakinra (Kineret) Safe for Pregnant Women with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)?
- Is Lupus Hereditary?
- Kineret (anakinra) for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Living With Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Lupus Nephritis Treatment
- Lupus: Pain in Neck & Back
- Can Lupus Cause Hip Pain?
- Does Lupus Affect the Spine?
- Lupus - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Is Lupus Genetic?
- Lyme Disease Is on the Rise
- Does Magnetic Therapy for Arthritis Work?
- MCTD vs. UCTD (Mixed Connective Tissue Disease vs. Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease)
- How Does Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD) Affect Pregnancy?
- Can Methotrexate Cause Growths on Your Wrist?
- How Ofter Does Methotrexate Cure Scleroderma?
- Myositis Muscle (Pain and Inflammation) Serious Drug Interactions
- National Arthritis Meeting 2003
- National Arthritis Meeting 2004
- Do NSAIDs Interact With Coumadin?
- What Can You Take for MCTD Inflammation Beside NSAIDs?
- Is There a Test for Fibromyalgia?
- Osteoarthritis - Vitamin D May Prevent Progression
- Osteoarthritis 2002 Arthritis Conference Report
- Osteoarthritis of the Hands
- Osteoarthritis Symptoms
- Osteoarthritis vs. Carpal Tunnel: What's the Difference?
- What Are the Side Effects of Glucosamine?
- What Kind of Joint Injections Treat Osteoarthritis?
- Can You Be Too Young for a Knee Replacement?
- Osteoarthritis - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Osteoarthritis: 2004 Perspectives
- Osteoporosis: 2004 Perspectives
- Pain Management: OTC NSAIDs - Doctors Dialogue
- Can Fifth Disease Cause Arthritis Pain?
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis and Pregnancy
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- Patient Story: Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment
- Is Polyarteritis Nodosa Different from Lupus?
- Rheumatic: Rare Rheumatic Conditions 2001 Meeting
- How Does Pregnancy Affect the Course of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)?
- What's the Prognosis for Raynaud's Phenomenon?
- Psoriasis, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis Share One Gene
- Psoriatic Arthritis and Ankylosing Spondylitis - 2001 Meeting
- AS and Psoriatic Arthritis - Arthritis Meeting 2003
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Joint Symptoms and Signs: What Do They Mean?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Living With a Chronic Disease
- Is There a Connection Between Positive ANA and Miscarriage?
- Arthritis Drugs and New Meds: 2004 Perspectives
- Arthritis: Reports from 2003 Arthritis Meeting
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Perspectives:2003 National Meeting
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Perspectives: 2004 National Meeting
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Which Patients Do Best?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Osteoarthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): 17 Warning Signs of Serious Complications
- Should You Avoid Drinking Soda with Rheumatoid Arthrits?
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: Questions for Your Doctor
- What Are the Side Effects of Remicade for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Can Rituximab Be Taken By Breastfeeding Women With Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Scleroderma Elbow Tip Pains
- Scleroderma Symptoms and Signs
- What Is the Relationship Between GERD and Scleroderma?
- Scleroderma - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- What Is Meant by Seronegative Arthritis?
- Sjogren's Syndrome Antigen . . . Getting at the Cause
- Sjogren's Syndrome Symptoms, Signs, and Diagnosis
- What are The Symptoms of Lupus in a Child?
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus 2002 Arthritis Conference Report
- SLE Report - 2003 Arthritis Conference
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: 2004 Perspectives
- How Does Ankylosing Spondylitis Affect Eyes and How Is It Treated?
- What Is a Spondylitis Exercise Program?
- Can I Exercise with Spondylolisthesis and Stenosis?
- Is Still's Disease Contagious?
- Perspectives Of Ankylosing Spondylitis & Psoriatic Arthritis 2004
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Perspectives:2002 National Meeting
- What Causes Arthritis and Baker's Cyst?
- Treatment Update on Rheumatoid Arthritis
- What Is a Triple Arthrodesis Surgical Procedure?
- What Are the Different Types of Psoriatic Arthritis?
- Ultrasound Imaging of Joints in Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- Is It Dangerous to Use Antibiotics Excessively or Inappropriately?
- Vasculitis - 2001 National Meeting Reports
- Drug Withdrawn - Vioxx, A Perspective After National Arthritis Meeting
- What Are Osteophytes?
- What Are Safe Exercises with Lupus?
- What Are Symptoms of Ischial Bursitis?
- Cox-2 Inhibitors, What's Next? - Expert Panel Votes
- What Are the Side Effects of Prednisone for Ankylosing Spondylitis?
- What Are the Triggers of Psoriasis?
- What Causes Bone Spurs on the Spine?
- Elbow Pain -- Star Pitcher Out
- What Is a Pediatric Rheumatologist?
- What Is a Yersinia Arthritic Infection?
- What Is Reiter Syndrome?
- What Is Sero Negative Arthritis?
- Tennis Elbow: What Is Tennis Elbow?
- What Is the Treatment for Avascular Necrosis?
- What's the Rheumatoid Arthritis Prognosis?
- Why Does Pregnancy Affect the Course of Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)?
- Will Rheumatoid Arthritis Nodules Go Away?
- Side Effects of Zyloprim (Allopurinol) for Kidney Damage Prevention
Medications & Supplements
- abatacept (Orencia)
- adalimumab (Humira)
- Allopurinol (Zyloprim, Aloprim)
- anakinra (Kineret)
- apremilast (Otezla)
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- auranofin (Ridaura)
- gold sodium thiomalate; aurothiomalate, Myochrysine
- azathioprine (Azasan)
- belimumab (Benlysta)
- Benlysta (belimumab) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- calcium salts (Cal-Citrate, Tums)
- celecoxib (Celebrex)
- certolizumab (Cimzia)
- choline magnesium salicylate, Trilisate
- colchicine (Colcrys)
- ColciGel (colchicinum 4X)
- Cox-2 Inhibitors
- dexamethasone (Decadron, DexPak)
- diclofenac, Voltaren, Cataflam, Voltaren-XR, Cambia
- diclofenac and misoprostol (Arthrotec)
- diflunisal (Dolobid)
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- febuxostat (Uloric)
- flurbiprofen (Ansaid)
- Simponi, Simponi Aria (golimumab)
- Humira (adalimumab) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- hyaluronate (hyaluronan, Hyalgan, Supartz, Euflexxa, Orthovisc)
- hylan G-F 20 (Synvisc)
- infliximab (Remicade)
- ixekizumab (Taltz)
- Kevzara (sarilumab)
- leflunomide (Arava)
- meclofenamate (Meclomen)
- meloxicam (Mobic) Side Effects
- methylprednisolone (Medrol)
- Orencia (abatacept) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- Otezla (apremilast) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
- oxaprozin (Daypro)
- What Is a Pelvic Osteotomy for an Acetabular Dysplasia?
- penicillamine (Cuprimine, Depen)
- phenylbutazone (Butazolidine)
- piroxicam, Feldene
- potassium citrate (Urocit-K)
- prednisolone (Orapred, Pediapred)
- prednisone (Prednisone Intensol, Rayos) Corticosteroid
- probenecid, (Benemid - brand no longer available)
- propoxyphene (Darvon, Dolene)
- Remicade vs. Humira
- rofecoxib, Vioxx
- salsalate, Amigesic, Salflex, Argesic-SA, Marthritic, Salsitab, Artha-G
- Sandimmune (cyclosporine)
- secukinumab (Cosentyx)
- Predinsone Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Side Effects of Actemra (tocilizumab)
- Side Effects of Anturane (sulfinpyrazone - discontinued in US)
- Side Effects of Azulfidine (sulfasalazine)
- Side Effects of Bextra (valdecoxib)
- Side Effects of Celebrex (celecoxib)
- Side Effects of Cimzia (certolizumab)
- Side Effects of Trilisate (choline magnesium salicylate or trisalicylate)
- Side Effects of Colcrys (colchicine)
- Side Effects of Daypro (oxaprozin)
- Side Effects of Depen (penicillamine)
- Side Effects of Decadron (dexamethasone)
- Side Effects of Voltaren (diclofenac)
- Side Effects of Arthrotec (diclofenac and misoprostol)
- Side Effects of Dolobid (diflunisal)
- Side Effects of Enbrel (etanercept)
- Side Effects of Lodine (etodolac)
- Side Effects of Uloric (febuxostat)
- Side Effects of Feldene (piroxicam)
- Side Effects of Nalfon (fenoprofen)
- Side Effects of Ansaid (flurbiprofen)
- Side Effects of Simponi (golimumab)
- Side Effects of Hyalgan (hyaluronic acid)
- Side Effects of Solu-Cortef (hydrocortisone)
- Side Effects of Synvisc (hylan G-F 20)
- Side Effects of Indocin (indomethacin)
- Side Effects of Remicade (infliximab)
- Side Effects of Kineret (anakinra)
- Side Effects of Arava (leflunomide)
- Side Effects of Zurampic (lesinurad)
- Side Effects of Mobic (meloxicam)
- Side Effects of Trexall (methotrexate)
- Side Effects of Medrol (methylprednisolone)
- Side Effects of Orapred (prednisolone)
- Side Effects of Relafen (nabumetone)
- Side Effects of Tolectin (tolmetin)
- Side Effects of Xeljanz (tofacitinib)
- sulfinpyrazone (Anturane - discontinued in the US)
- sulindac (Clinoril)
- tocilizumab (Actemra)
- Tofacitinib citrate (Xeljanz)
- tramadol (Ultram)
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- valdecoxib, Bextra
- Reclast (zoledronic acid)
- Zyloprim (allopurinol) Side Effects, Warnings, and Drug Interactions
Prevention & Wellness
- 10 Ways to Manage Low Back Pain at Home
- 7 Potential Complications of Untreated Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
- A Lupus Widower Laments to Friends
- A Spouse Can Help Ease the Pain of Osteoarthritis
- Arthritis: Alternative Ways to Easing Arthritis Pain
- Arthritis Better With Diet & Exercise
- Arthritis Diet Claims: Fact or Fiction
- Arthritis Disability
- Arthritis: Can 'Chi' Ease Arthritis Pain?
- Arthritis: Hobbies Help Arthritic Hands
- Arthritis:Total costs for Arthritis
- Benlysta (belimumab) Approved for Lupus Treatment
- Bextra Label With New Warnings
- Bones....How Many, And What Do They Do?
- Breastfeeding Shields Mom from Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Doctor Gets Plant Thorn Arthritis
- Exercises Can Ease Arthritis Pain
- FDA Makes Statement on Naproxen (Aleve)
- Fibromyalgia and Diet
- Fighting a Mysterious Disease
- Gout History
- How to Defend Yourself
- Humira, Drug for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Injecting Relief
- Insight Into - Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Joint Cracking...Fact & Fiction
- Joint Pain Not Inevitable with Age
- Kathleen Turner Raises Awareness About RA
- Knee-Jerk Reflex
- Life with an Autoimmune Disease
- Lupus Fact Sheet
- Lyme Disease: Should Your Child Be Vaccinated?
- Lyme Disease: Worried?
- Magnet Mania
- Moving Meditation: Tai Chi for Arthritis Relief
- Osteoarthritis Most Common Reason Hip, Knee Replace
- Osteoporosis: New Drug Forteo
- Paget's Disease of Bone and Osteoarthritis: Different Yet Related
- Painkiller Vioxx Pulled From Market Alert
- Pfizer Suspends Sales of Bextra
- Economically Challenged, Ethnically Diverse Don't Comply with Arthritis Regimen
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Specific References
- Rheumatologist...The Arthritis Buster
- Tick-Borne Dangers
- Vioxx: The Pros and Cons of Other Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
- Hormones: Weak in the Knees?