Patient Comments: Arsenic Poisoning - Foods

Do you drink apple juice or eat rice on a consistent basis? Are you concerned about the amount of arsenic in these products? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lore, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 09

My 12 year old daughter has celiac disease. Our diet has been rice based for the past 11 years. Over the past year, she and I have been experiencing the symptoms of arsenic exposure. After reading 'Consumer Reports' articles, I connected our somewhat vague symptoms with arsenic exposure, no doubt, from gluten free rice products, rice, and apple and grape juice. We were tested for arsenic toxicity and are awaiting the results.

Comment from: Rice eater, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Yes, I'm very concerned about arsenic in rice and the many rice products gluten intolerant people and people with celiac disease eat. We can't eat wheat, rye, or barley, so our baked goods are made with either rice or bean flour. Some of us get digestive issues with bean flour, so we eat the rice flours. I hope the baking industry is looking for a way to make flour without beans or rice. In the meantime, I'm going to talk to my doctor about being tested for arsenic levels.

Comment from: Rocko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I've been drinking cheap white wine for 35 years. Now we find out it contains elevated levels of arsenic! Am I concerned? Yes!

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter