Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced

For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Happyhearts123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I'm only 21 and have had arrhythmia problems for the last two years. When I was in my teens, my blood pressure would always drop in the shower that I would have to sit down during my shower. During my first pregnancy, I was hospitalized with low potassium. My daughter was 6 months old when my problems got more aggressive. I would get a rapid heart racing, numb left arm and dizziness. I've been diagnosed with low resting blood pressure and I'm being investigated for faulty electricity in my heart or arrhythmia. Sudden death runs in my family as do other forms of arrhythmia. So I was educated from an early age to know my symptoms. I drink a crazy amount of water and will add salt to everything. I will lie down when I experience palpitations. It helps. However, never ignore your symptoms and you are never too young. It doesn't matter if you go to the doctor and it turns out to be nothing. That peace of mind is everything. It can be a silent killer. Getting tested is the best way of prevention.

Comment from: mariah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

My heart palpitates fast at times. I have chest pain, pain at the back of the neck and high blood pressure. Even if I am resting it does occur, or suddenly when sitting and then standing up.

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I was born with a heart disease and I'm now 50 which isn't too bad considering my parents were told I wouldn't live past 5. I've had several open heart operations to replace the tricuspid valve, I've had several different types of medication to help with arrhythmia with no luck, 3 or 4 cardio versions which also haven't worked, several heart ablation procedures and currently waiting to go back in for another. I've had the AV (atrioventricular) node ablated and a two lead pacemaker fitted which also didn't work and after several years a three lead one put in which also hasn't helped hence why I'm on the list for yet another heart ablation. I've had heart problems throughout my life and have just found out some of the reason for my arrhythmia is scarred tissue from past procedures. After having been in and out of hospital for all my life and having many attempts to help the arrhythmia I'm starting to realize I'm probably never going to have a normal rhythm, I don't know what else the specialists can do so I guess for some people it's simply a case of learning to live with it, something I've been doing for most of my life. I have a very disturbed sleeping pattern due to them waking me up on and off throughout the night. I get them randomly throughout the day for no apparent reason, it doesn't matter what I am doing or what I'm not doing, I just get them. I get tired quite easily, I get weakness in my left arm and experience bouts of tingling, pins and needles in my legs and arms and along with this you obviously get the light headedness and dizziness, it is crazy! With all the technology we have this day and age I find it difficult to understand that it's taken years to try and sort this, yet with no luck. Over the years I've developed a high tolerance level by way of coping with arrhythmia which contributes to me living as normal life as I can but it still gets frustrating.

Comment from: frankie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have suffered from irregular heart beat for 12 years. It's getting worse the older I get, if I sniff or just turn my head this is all it takes to set my heart off skipping a beat. I have learned to live with this and try to ignore it, I have seen specialists who say there is nothing to worry about, but the past two years I have been getting longer more fluttering episodes. I also find it difficult to climb stairs and my heart beats so very fast after just a few stairs, it's so frightening. I have made another doctor's appointment.

Comment from: julieann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have had palpitations since I was 22. Finally got a doctor to tell me it was tachycardia. They gave me medicine for it, and all is well. I mean I am more tired from the medicine but I couldn't be without it because of the rapid heartbeat. My 18 year old daughter is now having the same symptoms as I did, rapid heartbeat, randomly. She even blacked out from it. All her cardiologist says is it is normal. You cannot tell me it is normal for a heart to jump from 70 to 140 within a second while you are sitting still watching TV or something! He is referring us to a doctor out of town for a possible ablation, and tells her she shouldn't drive in case she were to black out.

Comment from: tiffany90, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I just recently found out I have arrhythmia. My doctor says it is normal and that I will be ok. I always feel worried about it, I know I do.

Comment from: Kay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have had heart arrhythmias frequently for about two years now. It"s abnormal but it"s not life threatening. It"s hard to believe when doctors say it"s not anything to worry about. I have one of the best heart doctors in the world and he has taken my condition very lightly. I was diagnosed with heart premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) about a year and a half ago. The flutter in your chest and skipped heart beats can get really old. I am now suffering severe weakness, chest pain occasionally, lightheadedness, and I've had nausea for about 5 weeks now every day. It"s really frustrating when you are told it"s not a big deal and they just put you on medicine (that for me was not very effective). It is now affecting the quality of my life and I've struggled with it as well as all the symptoms I"ve dealt with the last month. I will have days where I will have 30 heart palpitations in 1 minute. If you are only having a few a day you have nothing to worry about. It"s when you start having other symptoms and it"s affecting your everyday life you should go in and get looked at. After a year of being treated and the problem has only worsened my doctor decided it would be best to do the catheter ablation surgery. I am scheduled for that on May 12th. Hopefully this will be a permanent fix for me. Anyone out there suffering with these like I do, I hope you can find a solution. Keep your head up. Ask about the surgery, it is 85% effective, I have high hopes that this will cure my problem. Good luck to you all.

Comment from: Melis, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am only 27 and have begun noticing signs of arrhythmia when I was 25. It"s incredibly scary especially at my young age experiencing this and thinking it is a heart attack and/or stroke. My doctor doesn"t take my concerns very seriously and therefore won"t look into it any further. More than twice a day, my heart will flutter rapidly, beat incredibly fast despite me standing still, often skip beats/flutter when sleeping on my right side. It"s all just incredibly scary and it is helpful hearing I"m not alone.

Comment from: GeoffR, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

The first episode of arrhythmia I recall was in 1973 or 1974, when I was in my mid 20s. It passed quickly. The most recent was this morning, beginning at about 6:30 a.m., and continuing for about 5 hours. This was the most serious episode I have had. Fortunately, episodes are relatively infrequent. Sometimes arrhythmia kicks in when I stand up suddenly from a crouched position. I told the doctor who conducted an EKG on me in the summer of 2009 about these episodes, but the test didn't reveal anything. This morning I awoke thirsty, and got up to drink water and juice. After returning to bed, lying on my back, I felt the irregular heart beat start. It felt like something was bouncing around in my rib cage. Changing position did not help. When I did get up, I was very weak and tired, had no energy, and even found I was climbing stairs slowly. While sitting and reading, it finally stopped at about 11:30 a.m. My energy is back, more or less.

Comment from: CatGirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm 26 and have been experiencing arrhythmias for about 4 years now. At first my symptoms were just palpitations, now I feel sometimes as though I will pass out. Now the heart doctors have given me an EKG to carry around and record every time I get an arrhythmia to see properly what's going on. I'm really hoping I don't have to get surgery or have anything serious. It helps to know that I'm not alone, even though I really wish none of you were going through this. I hope we all get well and our symptoms are relieved in one way or another.

Comment from: concerned, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I am 71. I have recently learned I am diabetic. I have a condition (not always) where my heart beat seems to skip or delay a beat. This arrhythmia will go on for seconds or minutes. Then it's back to normal or a little rapid beat. Then again back to missing or delay. I am not sure but I think a stressful situation brings it on.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

With arrhythmia, I had a squeezing sensation and, feeling the carotid artery I could feel a pause in the beat like a missed beat. I also have premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), an extra heartbeat is worse if blood pressure is up. PVCs are also felt upon fast and hard work outs and on a tread mill stress test. Lately I feel a pressure in the chest wall and feeling of a flip flop or a jumping. I thought it was hernia or reflux of upper stomach but it happened at the same time I felt irregular pulse.

Comment from: Susan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I can go for 3-5 months without an episode. Then yesterday I had them all day long, just like waking up with hiccups. Once they start, they don't stop. It's very annoying. Today is somewhat better, but last night about 10:30pm I had an episode that lasted an hour. Usually they only last a second and then disappear and come back 5 minutes later. Last night it felt like fluttering, skipped beats made me catch my breath. I took my BP and it was 117 over 72, which is higher than normal for me especially at rest. There was no pain, shortness of breath or anything that would indicate a heart attack. Today I had the same thing but for shorter time periods. Usually they will disappear when I lie on my left side or do some exercising. An EKG last year showed a normal heart rate and rhythm. Doctor said it's probably benign and not to worry, but I sure would like to know what is causing this. I have had these episodes for 20 years and they seem to get worse with age. I just turned 55. I am a little overweight, but I was not overweight 20 years ago when they started. I hear somewhere that Cocaine use can possibly damage the heart muscle and I remembered that when I was about 24 or 25 I almost overdosed on pure cocaine. Now I don't drink, smoke or take drugs.

Comment from: sportnut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

I have an irregular heart beat. Beating fast and slow. I haven't had any problems with my heart except sometimes when I am sitting or lying I feel a little discomfort. I was diagnosed with Sleep apnea and I didn't use my machine for over a year until I almost passed out when I sat in the sauna for to long of a time. Now I have started to use my machine on a regular basis and I am still having trouble sleeping for over three or four hours at a time. I am confused about whether I need to go and get a pace maker or trying and see why I still can't sleep all night. My machine is set on 9 and I have been feeling better since I started back using my machine again. After I sat in the sauna for too long my blood pressure dropped down to 70 on the high end and I was feeling dizzy for a couple of weeks afterwards, but I don't seem to be having any problems. I would like to know if there is something else I can do before getting a pacemaker.

Published: August 01

I had what I think was an "arrhythmia attack" (for want of a better phrase) last night. It started as mild chest pain which got increasingly worse, with extended pain from my chest up my neck to my temple area on the left hand side of my head. This was followed by a sort of pins and needles sensation all over my upper body, and a strange heated feeling which ended up feeling almost like I was burning all over my face, upper back, neck and arms. I got up to try walk it off, and experienced mild dizziness, but my face was literally white as a sheet, and I felt an overwhelming desire to go to sleep, though I stopped myself doing so. The whole episode was over in about 15 minutes, but left me very scared. At the time, I thought I was having a heart attack, but I figured I'm too young (22yrs old) for that, so assumed it might be to do with an anti depressant I am taking, which can cause heart palpitations. Very, very scary!

Comment from: M H saeed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I am 50 years of age, facing arrhythmia problem for 1 year. The beats miss after 5 or 7 beats, sometimes even after 3 or 4. Now I am under treatment but it happens without warning.

Comment from: tallulah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

My heart skips beats early in the morning, sometimes in the day. I have had tests done for arrhythmia, they are normal. I have been having this for two months, it's really driving me crazy. I need help, the doctor say it is okay.

Comment from: jennylind, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I had palpitations and a dizzy spell and ended up having a transient ischemic attack (TIA) in June. I had been to doctors 2 weeks prior. He diagnosed an arrhythmia but because it did not show on an electrocardiogram (ECG), they left it in abeyance. Then I had a stroke 2 weeks later. Now I'm on medication of dabigatran 110 mg. I already take enalapril for blood pressure. I was also put on statins although my cholesterol is not high for my years, so I have not taken them as I have heard and read bad reports. My diet is still the same as before with the exception of a little more fruit. I have been fairly good, but am experiencing dizzy spells again. I don't think alcohol helps me. I find if on the occasions I do drink it can affect me even though I am not a heavy drinker.

Comment from: tubby-t, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am 31 i had a CVA stroke at 23 another mild stroke at 24 while i was 7 months pregnant I also have high blood pressure i been on lisinopril 10mg for 3 years I've been out of for 1 month i took 2 benadral before bed and was waken up because of slowed irregular heartbeat and chest pain followed by a burning sensation and bad headache.

Comment from: Roch21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

The first time I experienced irregular heartbeats, it was just an ordinary day. I was straightening my hair in the bathroom, and all of a sudden, I felt really dizzy, and I closed my eyes for a couple seconds because I was so overwhelmed. Everything kind of went black, and then I started experiencing the irregular heartbeats. They're so random, and they come in all forms. This particular time, I felt a pounding in my chest, and it went up to my throat area. It felt as if my heart was going to drop. I was really shocked, but I just tried to ignore it, because it was the worst feeling ever, and I didn't want to experience it again. It happened all day and night that day. As soon as it happens, I quickly lose interest in whatever I may be doing at the time, and I just feel really weak. I don't want to do anything but lie down and try to get my heart back to normal again. I don't think it's stress-related because I'm not really stressed, but it's really annoying and scary. I know when it's coming because it just takes one or two irregular beats, and it just gets worse after that.

Comment from: SedentarySenior, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 29

After feeling exhaustion for several days, then a pulsing of my heartbeat and noticeable skips, I took my blood pressure with an electronic home model that takes three readings of pressure and pulse rate then averages them. I performed this three-step reading four times over one hour, and each time the average reading was approximately 139/77, pulse 70, and it lit up a red indicator that said "irregular heartbeat."

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I just had an episode. I was sitting at my desk at work and could feel my heart not beating regularly. It lasted at least five seconds, which doesn't sound very long, but it is. I was still able to breathe normally and coughed to try to get the heart beating normally again. Now I feel like my breath is restricted, have tightness in my chest, have a slight headache and feel dizzy. I've had many EKGs (all normal, except for a low heart rate). During the episodes, I get concerned that the heart rate won't go back to normal. I am 40 and have had these symptoms for the past eight years when I was diagnosed with pre-mature ovarian failure.

Published: July 22

I've changed to a healthier diet recently, which included eliminating coffee and colas. Three days ago, I had both a coffee and a cola, and since then, I've noticed an irregularity in my heartbeat throughout each day. Perhaps the sudden change in diet played a role. This is the second time in my life that I had what I considered a lasting irregular heartbeat.

Published: July 09

In the past I have had a few flutterings. The last 4 to 5 days it's been pretty constant. There is no pain, just a lot of pounding in my throat. So I take deep breaths and try to calm down. I am going to call my regular doctor tomorrow and see if I can get in. I don't want to start panicking, but I kind of find myself getting there. I haven't slept well lately and attributed that to stress in the family. I hope I make it through the night so I can find out what the problem is.

Published: June 24

Days go by without any symptoms then all it takes is one worry, fear of flying, and the beats become irregular. There is a gap in between beats and then a big gush of blood in a vein in my neck. It feels as if I am going to faint. I feel very weak and tired for a few days. I am taking sotalol 80mg twice a day for the last 14 years. Problems began with episode of atrial fibrillation in 1987.

Published: June 24

I get the every once in a while. They are irregular and then a big thump and it occurs every few months. I've passed stress test, EKG, cardiac cauterization. Doctors don't know why.

Published: June 18

At any given time during the day, I can feel my heart beat different. Sometimes the moment is longer than the one before. There is no pattern.

Published: June 09

I experience hundreds of these 'skipped beats' daily. Sometimes I feel 'woosy', and I have virtually no energy. The effect may last several minutes, an hour, or even more.

Published: June 06

My daughter had the sensation her heart was skipping beats all day long. The doctor fit her with a heart monitor and found that it was doing this 1,356 time a day. The doctor said most of the time the results are about 50 times a day. So hers is considerably more.

Published: June 05

Noticeable heartbeat; almost lose breath for a second; anxiety; slight dizziness.

Published: June 03

I have been having a lot of skipped heart beats and fluttering and sometimes it does feel like the bottom of my heart is falling. It scares me to death. It has been doing it quit a bit at night when I lay down. I am scared to go to sleep. When I am dozing off to sleep my heart skips beats or flutters and I cant sleep because I am to afraid of dying.

Published: May 27

My arrhythmia has come and gone at different times in my life. It never lasted only a few minutes and then was gone for months. Only re-occurring once in a while. Now about a month ago I have started with almost a constant arrhythmia. l I notice that my best time in the day is in the morning and early afternoon, more or less 8 to 2:00PM I am taking 25 mgs. Metoprolol and today my Dr. upped it to 25mgs. every 12 hrs. I do not have high blood pressure and most of the time my pressure is normal or tends to be low if anything. Thank you

Published: May 27

I had extremely slow or skipped heartbeats and it feels as if my heart stops beating.

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

My arrhythmia symptoms are skipped heartbeats every minute. They have been going on for several weeks. I feel light-headed and dizzy. No one seems too worried because my heartbeat is regular otherwise. However, I am feeling extremely tired all the time and am worried I might pass out one of these times.

Comment from: Amie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have had a lot of weird heartbeats that just don't seem to have a rhythm and they beat really hard but it is more like twitching it only lasts a couple seconds but it's scary. I also experience weakness and dizziness and almost at times feel like I'm going to faint.

Comment from: niedles8, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I feel my heart beat irregularly, like it's bouncing around in my chest (no pain) and sometimes I feel like I have to breathe more deeply. I don't feel my regular energy. Then it goes away as quickly as it comes and I can do everything I normally do. I exercise and do a lot of things every day, but when I sit down to rest I feel it and it is unnerving. It happens more when I'm tired and seems related to feminine cycles. I'm 47 years old.

Comment from: BD, 45-54 Male Published: August 29

I have had fluctuating heart beats for some years, but the symptoms are slowly changing. What first started with wild swings and lots of missed beats has settled down to a steady irregularity. Most times, it happens when I'm in a relaxed state and not physically active, such as when I'm driving a car. The onset brings about a feeling of butterflies in the chest. When I'm active and my heart rate is up, it does not seem to be a problem. The monitor on a day of high activity did not show any problems at all.

Comment from: Anna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

Since I was about 20, I have experienced some episodes of irregular heart beats. Nothing ever slowed me down until I started with pre-syncope episodes as I got older. They can be years apart, and EKGs, stress tests, cardiac monitors show nothing. I'm now 63 and had an episode with pre-syncope, rapid pulse, elevated blood pressure, sweats, mild nausea and ended up in another ER. I've been to the cardiologist today who did an EKG and another stress; both came back normal. He does feel it is an arrythmia problem, and I am going to wear a new monitor this time for a month. I'm hoping that a conclusive diagnosis can be made this time so that I can be treated or, if I'm lucky, just lie down and sleep after an episode because the fatigue is horrible. I'm not interested in repeat performances at the ER.

Comment from: Les Bruce, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 15

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylosis a couple of years ago, and was treated with embryol, which had a warning of possible heart problems as a side effect of taking the shots. Is it possible that this has caused me to develop a heart mummer or arrhythmia?

Published: July 22

I feel every symptom from irregular heart beats to slow heart beats to fast heart beats to skipped heart beats to feeling like my heart wants to stop beating. It causes me so much worry. I'm only 33 years old, and I have been dealing with this all my life. My dad also has the same symptoms and he is 61 years old.

Published: July 17

I experienced very strong fluttering in my chest. I could tell that my heart was not functioning correctly. I also felt a little woozy and like I needed to cough. Afterward, my heart pounds very hard for a few minutes and I feel weak. Lately, the episodes have lasted longer.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter