Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mike, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I just took this electromyography (EMG) test and at first I was shocked. I was startled by how much it affected my hand movement. After a few minutes I just relaxed and it was not that bad. I can see why they can't tell you what to expect because it is different for each person. If you can't relax and you tense up instead, it is a lot worse, at least it was for me.

Comment from: Dr evil, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

You know it's funny, many heart doctors because of some of our ages throw everything off as anxiety. At the age of 18 I was diagnosed with arrhythmia after many attempts of talking to the doctor and they told me it was anxiety; until it was eventually caught in the error on ECG. Nothing makes me more mad than a doctor who writes everything off as anxiety, it's like we are just guinea pigs and if our heart is fine on their 1 minute ECG test than everything is good. Well, I'm sorry to say I'm not a heart doctor and know this is not the case. At our age we shouldn't have to keel over because of a stroke or heart attack because these doctors overlook something due to our age. I had a heart ablation in January of this year which has gave me my life back. Unfortunately now in June I am very short of breath most days and have weird sensations while sleeping that wake me up.

Comment from: Rinchen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

In my case I washed my private parts twice a day and kept it as dry as possible. I also apply anti-fungal ointment twice a day. It helps to improve the jock itch a lot.

Comment from: Me, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I got dengue fever in Thailand in December 2010. It was the most ill I've ever felt in my life. I had constant headaches, and severe flu-like symptoms, but the worst thing was the excruciating pain in my legs, knees, and back. When I tried to stand up, it felt as if someone was stabbing a knife into my knees. I couldn't lie on my back as the pain along my lower spine was so intense. I didn't sleep or eat for nearly a week. I had no energy whatsoever. After about a week to 10 days, I started slowly feeling better, but the knee pain still lingered several weeks afterward.

Comment from: bb, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

My doctor treated my arrhythmia with magnesium glycinate. Thus I had been low in magnesium. With this supplement all of my arrhythmia goes away. I adjusted my dose until the symptoms went away, and it is a very small dose. I am not sure why doctors overlook magnesium, as it is very noninvasive and works.

Comment from: Ageing, Published: October 04

After the diagnosis of hardening of the arteries, I immediately started a regime of exercise and have an agenda to extend my range of walking considerably.

Comment from: Bill W., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had arrhythmia for approximately 15 years. It was intermittent for most of this time. Eighteen months ago I began to experience problems with it, shortness of breath and weakness were the worst problems. I finally found a cardiologist who prescribed 50 mg of atenolol daily and 4 mg Coversyl daily along with warfarin as a blood thinner. I have had no instances of arrhythmia for 15 months.

Comment from: EsqBill, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I had a mitral valve repair in 2003 and had atrial fibrillation also which was treated by a cardioversion. I was fine for 9 years, no medicine and no limitations. Arrhythmia came back in 2013 and had another conversion which lasted only 3 weeks. I was scheduled for an ablation but tried another conversion first which seems to have worked now for over 7 months. I am taking sotalol just to slow the heart rate.

Comment from: peaceful, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been on verapamil 120 mg time release for arrhythmia, for many years, and now reaching 77 years of age and want to know if I should have a lower dose because of my age. I feel sleepier and in the mornings can feel this way even with a good night's sleep. I do have the dizzy feeling and am short of breath a lot of times.

Comment from: ncsurmy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I've been experiencing what I would describe as an irregular heartbeat off and on now since 2006. At first it was just at night when I would lay down to go to sleep. It felt as if my heart was flopping around like a fish lying on the beach that couldn't get back to the water. I would try to relax by taking deep breaths and go to sleep. When I awoke in the morning my heart felt normal. After several months the symptoms went away and I went a few years without having a recurrence. Last year (2011) it came back and was not only when I was lying down. Now it occurs every day and is much worse when I am lying. I've taken my pulse multiple times during an episode and my heart beats 3 to 5 times normally then pauses and the next beat is much more pronounced than the 3-5 beats just before the pause. When I am lying it feels as though my heart is going to jump right out of my chest and it is difficult to breathe. I found myself taking long deep breaths quite frequently. I am a 53 year old male who stopped smoking in 2006. I am not overweight but have high cholesterol.

Comment from: dirtdabber, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was treated for Mitral valve prolapse for 40 years --then Dr ran a test and now says I have irregular heart beat instead. I have severe episodes causing hospitalization two times last 5 yrs. Just had another electronic test instead of the arteriogram showing that I do have the irregular heartbeat. Dr has me on Bystolic 5 mgs per day and also lisinopril 20 mgs a day for this. My b/p runs high and then low Heart rate sometimes gets below 40 beats per minute. Scary--My Mother had a pace maker which she died from.

Comment from: erniecat1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I went to the doctors feeling breathless and faint. I was immediately sent to hospital where I was stabilized and given proprananol. A week later I have an urgent phone call from the hospital, telling me to discontinue this medication as I was asthmatic and it could lead to a severe asthma attack. I then was give veramapril, this covered me in a full head and body rash, for which I need steroids and various creams. Eventually after 3 other types of medication, it was suggested that I had ablation treatment. I spent 4 hours awake on an operating table having the procedure and was told that it probably hadn't been successful and I may need to undergo the procedure again. I now have episodes of irregular rapid heartbeats and at other times I get very slow beats. I do have more good days than bad days, but it's still a scary condition even after 5 years of suffering.

Comment from: submission, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I get skipped beats hundreds of times per day and it scares the life out of me. I'm afraid to go to sleep in case I die with heart failure. I'm on bisoprolol but it doesn't help. I've had the heart echo and heart monitor, but they keep saying it's not serious. But it affects your whole life, one shouldn't have to live in fear.

Comment from: rose, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

About 25 years ago, three days after given birth to my youngest child, I woke with a thumping heart. It hadn't slowed after 20 minutes, so I rang my doctor, who said it was anxiety. Through the years I've had many more attacks and was even sent to a psychiatrist. I switched doctors. Eventually, I was diagnosed with AV nodal reentrant tachycardia (AVNRT). After years of various medications, I had an ablation, which, although was not a pleasant experience, actually stopped any more episodes. This was great for two years. I didn't need medication until I came down with a flu virus. Within two days, the palpitations came back. I now take 600 mgs a day of disopyramide phosphate, which thankfully works.

Comment from: Kandace, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Hi I am a 25 year old female. When I was 23 my heart started beating very hard and very fast while I was mopping the floor. I was so scared I had someone take me to the hospital where they gave me something to slow my heart. It hasn't happened again until today. It scared me so much that on my way to the hospital I flagged down an ambulance and they had to take me to the hospital. I still have know idea what to do about it myself.

Comment from: char, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I awoke in the middle of the night 3 days before Christmas with my heart jumping/flopping around in my chest. I took some nitro with no relief. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days where I experienced a heart attack. I had every test under the sun, but the results were inconclusive, according to the Cardiologist, who personally performed the angiogram. He prescribed Bystolic and after 4 days the arrhythmia hasn't slowed or stopped. I see him again in 2 days. I haven't had a cigarette in over 27 years and don't drink or do drugs. I have 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day. I've been doing hatha yoga for 37 years, and a vegetarian for 25 years. I meditate and have no anxiety. These episodes are exhausting and frightening.

Comment from: Hernan Haded, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

Hi. I am 38 years old I live in Hong Kong. It has been two years since the arrhythmia was diagnosed. It is supraventricular with structurally healthy heart. I tried Inderal, Propafenone and Concor. The side effects were horrible. because my life was not at risk, I stopped taking them. the palpitations came back full force: up to 27,000/day measured by holter. I tried it all: chinese medicine, osteopathy, homeopathy and many more things (tai chi, qi gong and meditation). My palpitations now are below 1,000/day and I keep getting better and better.

Comment from: Pats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 58 years old and was diagnosed with A-fib at the age of 24. I've been on Inderal LA for many years and Lisinopril. Inderal LA is the only medication that has controlled the syncope episodes. Before I started Inderal I was having near fainting spells about three times a week. When I was 38 I had my gall bladder removed and was told I had the EKG of an old lady. This is a scary condition.

Comment from: Faith, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

Want to share information that has helped my arrhythmia. The doctor told me to try magnesium and it seems to have helped. There's various opinions on what type to take. The powdered form that is mixed with water seems to help me. The only problem that I experienced from it was gall bladder pain, so I may have taken it too often, because it helped me even within a week. Deficiency can cause heart problems and muscle aches, restless leg syndrome, fatigue, etc. I had it all. Hope that helps, because I had never had any doctor tell me that before and I've experienced all symptoms for years.

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I've had arrhythmia for 10 or more years and was hospitalized several times. It was like a ping pong game going on in my chest, and I was exhausted during the seven or more hours it occurred. The next day, I felt fine. I'm now on a drug called Multaq. If I keep fairly stress-free, limit the alcohol and caffeine, I am normal. What a relief!

Comment from: macaw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with abnormal heart beat about two years ago. I had a heart attack in 2005 but my heart doctor said my heart recovered from that. In the last month I have been hospitalized twice for bouts of my heart beating out of control and blood pressure as high as 216. I am small 5 ft 2" and only weigh 128. I do not drink or smoke. I'm already on three heart meds and aspirin (benicar, tekturna and now normask). In the hospital they gave me a shot of adavan to calm me down and that did work . I would like to know what meds work the best. They tried betablockers but my pulse went down to 40. I am 74 and active and just retired. This is a bummer.

Comment from: mickey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I have had SVT all my life (I am now 79), and suffered bouts of palpitations on a regular basis (more than weekly) until about 10 years ago. After experiencing a severe attack of symptoms about 8 years ago, my doctor put me on diltiazem, which I have been taking ever since. It has had miraculous effects, now symptom-free except for a brief, fleeting, and very mild palpitations not more than once a year.

Comment from: Wendy Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I have just been diagnosed with arrhythmia. After a few tests and a weeklong stay in the hospital with my Gall Bladder taken out, my heart doctor put a beta blocker in my blood presser medicine. All good and well, but I think now after 3 days I feel it thumping or should I say flipping but it doesn't feel as intense. So in a few weeks we will be back to see him and see how it goes. Maybe the caffeine should be cut out all together. I have only coffee for breakfast time and maybe a diet soda for lunch. I will cut back and see if it's any better.

Comment from: ZonaJim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I suffered for five years with PACs. I was having 30-40 per minute, 24 hours a day. I underwent three different catheter ablations, but I've been free of them for 10 months now! Since then, I've started working out, and I've lost 55 pounds. I feel great.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I haven't had a problem in a few years. Now for 6 days this arrhythmia has been going on. I saw my doctor yesterday, he did a EKG, said it was abnormal, then set up an appointment with a heart doctor. I had a heart cathorisation in 2003 all was fine. I am a smoker, 8 cigarettes a day and a mild coffee drinker. During these days, I haven't had 4 cigarettes, I am afraid they will start again. I feel very week and my legs feel like jelly. Hopefully there will be some answer and relief.

Comment from: kay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had open heart, 4-bypass surgery 20 months ago. It has been downhill every month since. I have developed an irregular heart beat. Dr. had me wearing a 24 hour heart monitor. Took heart scan and was told everything "appeared okay". Monitor showed "some irregular" heartbeat, but nothing seriously wrong. So they say. It is nearly stopping me from a normal life. When the episodes happen, it is as though my heart is "not beating" for quite some time. I get so weak; I can barely walk from one room to the other. Then it takes me 60 min to regain strength to do anything. Cardiologist tells me due to other health problems I had at time of my surgery (degenerative disc disease, chronic fibromyalgia, etc.) it is "just going to take me much longer to regain normal lifestyle than others. I say hogwash! I didn't have an irregular heartbeat until AFTER THE SURGERY! I would never let them do open heart on me again. I have no quality of life now. Also developed a hernia after surgery at the sternum. The hernia "seeped" through the surgery point on chest. I had a heart attack July 2009, emergency room gave me nitro and I felt better. Catherization showed 90% blockage one artery, and 80/70 others. Not good I know, but I felt better before surgery. I have to find doctor that will be interested in helping me get my life back. I'm 67 and got lots of living I want to do yet. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: Vetteman 327, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 18

I have an irregular heart beat and as far as I'm concerned my heart Doctor is doing nothing about it! I had to ask another Doctor if he would order a 24 hour heart monitor and he did. When my heart doctor read the results to me I didn't understand anything he said! Just keep on the veraperamil for which I battled to take for 16 months or more!

Comment from: Katerina, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I got heart arrhythmia for the first time when I graduated with my Master's Degree at the age of 22. I lost much weight, had an eating disorder for about 6 months, and felt constantly stressed. I did not know what it was for 6 months. I was experiencing it every week especially after eating. I went for an ECG but they didn't diagnose me with anything. I was visiting my doctor 6 months later and it suddenly started. My heartbeat was 113! My doctor sent me directly to the hospital. In the hospital they tried three different medicines, including injection into the vain. My heartbeat went to 220. I was almost faint, but still conscious. In the end, they gave me a beta-blocker. I think it was Propranolol. I was on it for a year until I was operated on for a Catheter Ablation. My lifestyle improved drastically. I started training, eating more varied foods, and cut alcohol. Now I still experience it slightly, but it is rare and not continuous.

Comment from: pdl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

My arrhythmia is being treated with atenolol, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter