Patient Comments: Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes

What causes or triggers your arrhythmia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: needlestone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I have been having issues for a couple of years and was diagnosed after 3 weeks on Holter monitor, with PVC (premature ventricular contractions) and PAC (premature atrial contractions) with mitral regurgitation. I have since found that aspartame and sucralose are triggers, alcoholic beverages, caffeine, chocolate and stress all are triggers for my arrhythmia. I also think hormones play a role since they are worse certain times during the month.

Comment from: RoRo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I find that stress contributes to my irregular heartbeat, and also white wine. I started experiencing arrhythmia back in September 2014. I went to my doctor. He performed an EKG and it was normal. It continued so I made an appointment with my cardiologist. He performed an EKG and heart ultrasound which were both normal. He then ordered a stress test without thallium and it showed some irregularities. He sent me home with a Holter monitor and that also showed irregular heartbeat. I had another stress test with thallium done today along with some scans to rule out any problems with the blood flow to the heart. He is quite sure it will be fine. I need to stress less. I am always anxious. This started when I went off ERT (estrogen replacement therapy) about a year and a half ago. Hopefully, everything will be okay.

Comment from: Jellybean, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

My arrhythmia started 11 years ago. I have pounding, skipping, racing, chest tightness, and flutters. My blood pressure goes up every time I have an episode. It really scares me! I have had 3 stress echoes, multiple EKGs, and a heart monitor. The doctor concluded it was PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) and PACs (premature atrial contractions) and said there was really nothing they could do about it and that it was not dangerous. The episodes, often with no trigger, totally drain my energy! I wish it would just go away!

Comment from: Nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I have had 3 episodes of atrial fibrillation in the last 15 years, the last one in July of this year which was the first in over 13 years. Since that time I have been experiencing skipped beats occasionally but in the last week I have them every day, sometimes 6 to 10 a minute. I have been checked out by a cardiologist as well when I was in the hospital back in July and no problems. I am trying to get rid of them but nothing seems to work.

Comment from: livegood3, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I've noticed that when I drink something cold like ice water or have a shake after exercising (especially), or even if just walking around the mall or my house, my heart will go into arrhythmia for anywhere from 30 minutes to three hours. I also feel light headed when I stand up sometimes, once these arrhythmias start. I normally have a regular heart rhythm of 75-85. But when I drink a cold beverage, it can shoot up to 160-200 sometimes.

Comment from: Jan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

In October of 2012 I had a pneumonia vaccine. In January of 2013 I was sick and suspected it might be the flu. I was diagnosed as having pneumonia. My doctor gave me a Z-pack and a cortisone inhaler. These caused atrial fibrillation. Now I'm taking hydrochloride.

Comment from: Randy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I have had this for 15 years. The trigger is a single cough. It stops if I lay down.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter