An arrhythmia is an abnormal heart rhythm. With an arrhythmia, the heartbeats may be irregular or too slow (bradycardia), to rapid (tachycardia), or too early. When a single heartbeat occurs earlier than normal, it is called a prmature contraction. Read more: Arrhythmia Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
Heart attacks symptoms vary greatly for men and women, from anxiety and fatigue to nausea and sweating. Learn the warning signs...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
Related Disease Conditions
Pulmonary edema (swelling or fluid in the lungs) can either be caused by cardiogenic causes (congestive heart failure, heart...
Hyperkalemia (High Blood Potassium)
Hyperkalemia is an abnormally high level of potassium in the blood. Hyperkalemia symptoms include: nausea, fatigue,...
Fainting, also referred to as blacking out, syncope, or temporary loss of consciousness has many causes. Often a person will have...
Pericarditis is the inflammation of the pericardial sac that surrounds the heart. The causes of pericarditis include injury from...
Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVCs, PVC)
Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs, PVC) are premature heartbeats originating from the ventricles of the heart. PVCs are...
Heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart attack...
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning,...
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Atrial Fibrillation (AF, AFib)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Sudden cardiac arrest is an unexpected, sudden death caused by sudden cardiac arrest (loss of heart function). Causes and risk...
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Anorexia is an eating disorder characterized by markedly reduced appetite or total aversion to food. Anorexia is a serious...
Alpha thalassemia is a disorder in which the alpha globin protein is underproduced. There are two pairs of genes that carry the...
Atrial Flutter vs. Atrial Fibrillation (What Are the Differences?)
Atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation (AFib) are two types of a heart problem called atrial tachycardia. Both of these...
Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms (AFib Warning Signs)
Atrial fibrillation or AFib is a type of hear rhythm abnormality. Early warning signs and symptoms of atrial fibrillation...
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AFib) and ventricular fibrillation (VFib) are problems with the heart that cause abnormal heart rhythms....
Restrictive cardiomyopathy, the rarest form of cardiomyopathy, is a condition in which the walls of the lower chambers of the...
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Symptoms Experienced
For arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?Post View 41 Comments
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments
How was your arrhythmia treated?Post View 29 Comments
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Types
What type of arrhythmia do you have?Post View 4 Comments
Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Causes
What causes or triggers your arrhythmia?Post View 7 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- Anticoagulants (Anticoagulant Drug Class)
- digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxin Pediatric)
- lidocaine injection (Xylocaine)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- propafenone (Rythmol, Rythmol SR)
- mexiletine - oral, Mexitil
- timolol (Blocadren and Timolide 10-25 have been discontinued)
- procainamide, Pronestyl; Procan-SR; Procanbid (These brands no longer are available in the U.S.)
- disopyramide - oral, Norpace
Prevention & Wellness
- Working Too Much Might Tip Heart Into Irregular Rhythm
- Implantable Defibrillator May Not Mean End to Sports
- Too Much Caffeine Caused South Carolina Teen's Death: Coroner
- Oktoberfest Study Links Boozing to Heart Woes
- Many With Irregular Heartbeat Not on Meds They Need: Study
- Shocks From Implanted Defibrillators Trigger Health Costs of Their Own
- Calcium Buildup in Young Arteries May Signal Heart Attack Risk
- 'Ablation' Procedure Helps 3 out of 4 Patients With Irregular Heartbeat
- Pregnancy OK for Most Women With Congenital Heart Conditions: Report
- Trouble Sleeping Tied to Higher Risk for Irregular Heartbeat
- Smartphone Device Detects Undiagnosed Irregular Heartbeat
- Too Many Public Defibrillators Out of Reach When Needed
- Less Heart Care, More Strokes for Women?
- Widely Used Heart Drug Tied to Dementia Risk
- Common Irregular Heartbeat May Hamper Seniors' Walking Ability
- Death of Loved One May Trigger Heart Rhythm Trouble
- Wearable 'Defibrillator-in-a-Vest' May Help Some Heart Patients
- Botox Might Prevent Irregular Heartbeat After Bypass Surgery
- Secondhand Smoke in Pregnancy, Youth Tied to Irregular Heartbeat Years Later
- Implanted Defibrillators Restore Healthy Heart Function to Many: Study
- White Men May Get Better Treatment for Abnormal Heartbeat
- How Safe Is Exercise for Those With Common Irregular Heartbeat?
- World's Tiniest Pacemaker Seems Safe, Effective in Trial
- Early Menopause Tied to Lower Risk of Irregular Heartbeat
- Treating Sleep Apnea May Help Those With Heart Rhythm Disorder
- Blood Thinners Overprescribed for Low-Risk Irregular Heartbeat: Study
- Procedure May Beat Drug in Patients With Heart Failure, Irregular Heartbeat
- Was Beethoven Composing From His Heart?
- Treating Irregular Heartbeat With Digoxin May Come With Risks
- Deaths From Heart Disease Down, Up for Blood Pressure, Irregular Heartbeat
- Exercise May Guard Against Irregular Heartbeat in Older Women
- Scientists Use Gene Therapy to Create 'Biological Pacemaker' in Pig Hearts
- Even Moderate Drinking Might Raise Odds for Irregular Heartbeat
- Implanted Defibrillators May Help Patients With Moderate Heart Failure
- Tiny Wireless Pacemaker Shows Early Promise
- Surgery Might Top Drugs as First Therapy for Irregular Heartbeat: Study
- Warfarin May Up Stroke Risk in Those With Irregular Heartbeat: Study
- Low Testosterone Linked to Possible Heart Problems in Men
- Health Tip: Will a Pacemaker Help Me?
- New Method Cuts Radiation During Pacemaker Procedure: Study
- Study IDs Best Heart Failure Patients for Pacemakers
- Grueling X-Country Ski Race May Affect Heart Rhythm
- iPads Could Affect Implanted Heart Devices, Early Study Finds
- Swimming Pools May Pose Hazard for People With Heart Devices
- Wireless Pacemaker Shows Promise in Early Study
- FDA Proposes Tighter Regulation of Public Defibrillators
- Energy Drinks Linked to Changes in Heart Rhythm
- Scans That Gauge Heart Scarring May Spot High-Risk Patients
- Fish Oil Supplements Won't Prevent Irregular Heart Beat: Study
- Despite FDA Warning, Sports Supplements Still Available Online: Study
- Heart Drug Digoxin Tied to Higher Death Risk for Some Patients
- New Defibrillator Implanted Just Under the Skin
- Health Tip: Have Heart Palpitations?
- Asthma Meds May Be Linked to Irregular Heartbeat
- Irregular Heartbeat Poses Greater Stroke Risk for Women Than Men
- Tasers Can Trigger Fatal Heart Trouble: Study
- Pacemakers, Defibrillators Sources of Deadly Infections: Study
- FDA Adds More Warnings to Antidepressant's Label
- Defibrillator Implantation May Be Riskier for Underweight Patients
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Linked to Irregular Heartbeat
- Family Tree May Aid Treatment of Inherited Heart Disorders
- Study Links 'Body Clock' to Sudden Cardiac Death
- Increase in Resting Heart Rate Over Time Linked to Heart Disease Death
- 'Nerve Snip' Might Ease Dangerous Irregular Heartbeat
- FDA Warning on Atrial Fibrillation Drug Multaq
- Wireless Sensor Monitors Heart Failure Patients
- Coffee May Cut Risk of Heart Rhythm Problems
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Heart Health Newsletter