It is hard to say whether there may be any real benefits of not ejaculating (medically referred to as semen retention). There is not enough scientific evidence to recommend this practice to all men.
If a man does not ejaculate, the semen gets channeled back into the body and is disintegrated.
Practicing semen retention for two to five days is a criterion before ejaculating on the day of a semen analysis. This is to ensure that there is a maximum amount of sperm in the semen sample. However, this does not imply that the practice should be encouraged to preserve the sperm.
The ancient practice of semen retention has been part of spiritual health for years, including religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism. These religions teach that avoiding ejaculation diverts one’s life force through their mind, body, and spirit.
Most recently, users on online forums regularly participate in “NoFap” challenges, where they avoid ejaculation and watching porn for a month or longer. The benefits of the “NoFap” challenge are thought to boost testosterone levels and sexual health while avoiding porn is thought to help cure erectile dysfunction (inability of the penis to get erect).
Some of the potential health benefits of semen retention may include:
More intense orgasms
- It has been believed that not ejaculating for a long time may lead to more intense orgasms.
- However, according to a 2001 study, an abstinence period of three weeks did not affect the sensations of men during ejaculation.
- There is a belief that semen retention can increase a man’s fertility by improving sperm quality. However, there are mixed studies on this.
- According to a 2018 study, avoiding ejaculation for periods of more than four days can negatively affect sperm quality. However, another study conducted in 2015 suggested that ejaculating every day has no negative effects on sperm quality.
Are there any side effects of semen retention?
Ejaculatory abstinence or semen retention is devoid of risks, but a few side effects are possible, which include:
- Epididymal hypertension (blue balls) occurs when a sexually aroused man does not ejaculate. However, this is a harmless condition that goes away by reducing sexual arousal or ejaculating.
Problems with ejaculation
- If a man is practicing semen retention, the trapping of the sperm may cause a condition known as premature ejaculation, in which the man ejaculates even before their partner is sexually satisfied.
- Controlling the urge to ejaculate during sexual stimulation may lead to a condition known as retrograde ejaculation, in which the sperm instead of traveling back to the testicles gets rerouted into the bladder.
What are the benefits of ejaculating?
The primary aim of ejaculating for most men is to experience heightened pleasure. Ejaculating releases hormones called endorphins, which are known to make a person feel good.
Other benefits of ejaculation may include:
- Sexual activity improves the well-being of both partners. However, solo masturbation can help do the same thing for some men.
Prevention of prostate cancer
- Ejaculation may be a good way to ward off prostate cancer, which has been backed up by a large-scale study published in 2018 in the journal European Urology.
- The study had a 10-year follow-up period and reported that men who ejaculated 21 times in a month had less than 50 percent reduction in the risk of prostate cancer than those who ejaculated just four to seven times per month.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Is Masturbation Healthy? https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/sex-pleasure-and-sexual-dysfunction/masturbation/masturbation-healthy
Rider JR, Wilson KM, Sinnott JA, et al. Ejaculation frequency and risk of prostate cancer: Updated results with an additional decade of follow-up. Eur Urol. 2016;70(6):974-982.
Top Are There Any Benefits to Not Ejaculating Related Articles
Can Erectile Dysfunction Be Cured?Erectile dysfunction is very common and affects up to one-third of adult men. ED can be cured in most cases through the use of various treatments and lifestyle changes.
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying causes of erectile dysfunction, including stress and emotional problems, brain dysfunction, problems with blood supply to the penis, and structural problems with the penis.
How Do You Fix Retrograde Ejaculation?While retrograde ejaculation is not a life-threatening condition it can cause male infertility. Learn about causes and treatment.
Impotence QuizDid you know that certain medical condition may be responsible for ED? Some causes of impotence are medically treatable and reversible. Learn more about what can be done about erectile dysfunction with the Impotence Quiz.
Impotence SlideshowHaving erection problems? What is erectile dysfunction (ED)? Learn about erectile dysfunction causes and treatments such as drugs (pills), pumps, and more.
Is Erectile Dysfunction a Normal Part of Aging?What is erectile dysfunction, and what are the signs and symptoms? Learn about the risks and causes of erectile dysfunction and what treatments are available for erectile dysfunction.
Low Testosterone (Low-T)Low testosterone (low-T) can be caused by conditions such as type 2 diabetes, obesity, liver or kidney disease, hormonal disorders, certain infections, and hypogonadism. Signs and symptoms that a person may have low-T include insomnia, increased body fat, weight gain, reduced muscle, infertility, decreased sex drive, depression, and worsening of congestive heart failure or sleep apnea. Low-T can be treated with testosterone therapy in the form of gels, injections, pellets, or skin patches. Side effects of testosterone treatment include acne, anxiety, hair loss, headache, and change in sex drive (libido).
Low Testosterone (Low T) TreatmentsWhat causes low testosterone (low T)? Learn about low testosterone symptoms in men. Discover low testosterone treatment and the signs of low testosterone.
Low Testosterone QuizWhat are symptoms of low testosterone (low T)? Take this quiz to learn more about causes of low testosterone and how to treat it.
What Is Masturbation?Masturbation is the self-stimulation of the female genitals to achieve sexual pleasure or arousal to the point of orgasm. Masturbation generally is considered normal unless it becomes a problem by inhibiting sexual activity with a partner, done in public, or causes distress to the person masturbating. Some experts suggest that masturbation can improve a person's sexual health and personal relationships.
Natural Ways to Boost TestosteroneFind out from WebMD what you can do to raise your testosterone levels naturally, including changes to your diet and lifestyle.
Sex & Love QuizRelationships, sex, and love! Could it be that what motivates physical attraction in us may be all in our minds? Take the Sex & Love Quiz to challenge yourself on healthy human sexuality!
Sexual Health: What Happens When You Stop Having Sex?Learn about what can happen to your physical and mental health when you stop having sex.
Testosterone Therapy to Treat EDThe testicles produce testosterone a hormone responsible for the proper development of male sexual characteristics. Testosterone is also important for maintaining muscle bulk, adequate levels of red blood cells, bone growth, sense of well-being and sexual function. As a man ages, the amount of testosterone in his body gradually declines and the significance of testosterone decline is controversial and poorly understood. The treatment for testosterone deficiency can include intramuscular injections, generally every two or three weeks, testosterone patch worn either on the body or on the scrotum, testosterone gel, mucoadhesive material applied above the teeth twice a day, or oral tablets.
What Are the Best Three Exercises for Erectile Dysfunction?What Are the Best Three Exercises for Erectile Dysfunction? Learn whether exercises can help and what other treatments can help to relieve your symptoms.
What Is the Fastest Way To Cure Erectile Dysfunction?Learn about the symptoms of erectile dysfunction, treatment options, and the quickest way to help you resolve the condition.
What Is the Main Cause of Erectile Dysfunction?Penile erection is a complex process in which the brain, nerves, muscles and blood vessels play a major role. The main causes of erectile dysfunction include psychological and health conditions, medications, trauma and lifestyle factors.