Shirataki noodles are low-carb food that has a few calories per serving. Shirataki noodles are keto-friendly because it is low in carbohydrates.
An 8-ounce (224 gram) of shirataki noodles contain:
When one consumes less than 50 g of carbohydrates in a day, the body runs out of blood sugar (fuel) eventually. After the body runs out of blood sugar, the body starts to break down proteins and fats for energy, ultimately resulting in weight loss.
What is shirataki noodle?
Shirataki noodles are made from konjac yam, they are translucent noodles, and are high in glucomannan fiber. Shirataki is Japanese for “white waterfall,” which describes the lucid appearance of the noodles.
Glucomannan fiber is a type of soluble fiber that comes from the root of the konjac plant. Konjac plants grow in Japan, China, and Southeast Asia; these plants are locally known as snake plant and voodoo lily.
Shirataki noodles consist of 3% fiber and 97% water that make these noodles desirable for weight loss.
What are the health benefits of shirataki noodles?
Shirataki noodles don’t contain any vitamins or minerals, but these can be added by the manufacturers. Manufacturers may add a small amount of tofu or other ingredients, but the nutritional values of these additions are generally irrelevant. However, shirataki noodles offer a small number of health benefits, which include:
- Controlling blood sugar level: The soluble fiber can slow down carbohydrate absorption.
- They may be a good choice for a ketogenic diet because it helps in weight loss.
- Controlling cholesterol level: Glucomannan in shirataki noodles increases the amount of cholesterol excreted in the stool so that less is reabsorbed into the bloodstream.
- Relieves constipation: Glucomannan increases bowel movement frequency.
- It promotes good health of the colon by increasing the healthy gut bacteria.
What are the other health benefits of a keto-friendly diet?
The keto-friendly or ketogenic diet also has health benefits, which include:
- Protection from some kinds of cancers: With a ketogenic diet, your body produces or stores less insulin resulting in protection from some kinds of cancer or alleviates the growth of cancer cells.
- Prevention of acne: Cutting down on carbohydrates may prevent the formation of acne by reducing hyperinsulinemia.
- Controlling seizures: Ketogenic diets may help to control seizures.
- Preventing nervous system disorder: Breakdown of fat results in ketone formation, which may protect brain cells from damage. Some of the nervous system disorder that a ketogenic diet prevent include:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease
- Sleep disorders
- Polycystic ovary syndrome: High levels of insulin may cause cyst formation in the ovaries. As a ketogenic diet prevents insulin formation, the chances of polycystic ovary syndrome can be reduced.
It is important to consult a board-certified dietitian before starting a keto diet.
What are the side effects of shirataki noodles?
If you are not used to consuming a high amount of fiber, you may experience:
Gradually, these symptoms will subside once your body gets used to a high fiber diet.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
WebMD. What’s a Ketogenic Diet? https://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-ketogenic-diet#:~:text=%E2%80%9CKetogenic%E2%80%9D%20is%20a%20term%20for,%2C%20pastries%2C%20and%20white%20bread
Chen H-L, Sheu WH-H, Tai T-S, et al. Konjac supplement alleviated hypercholesterolemia and hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetic subjects--a randomized double-blind trial. J Am Coll Nutr. February 2003; 22(1):36-42. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12569112/
Top Are Shirataki Noodles Keto Friendly? Related Articles
Common Medical Abbreviations & Terms
Doctors, pharmacists, and other health-care professionals use abbreviations, acronyms, and other terminology for instructions and information in regard to a patient's health condition, prescription drugs they are to take, or medical procedures that have been ordered. There is no approved this list of common medical abbreviations, acronyms, and terminology used by doctors and other health- care professionals. You can use this list of medical abbreviations and acronyms written by our doctors the next time you can't understand what is on your prescription package, blood test results, or medical procedure orders. Examples include:
- ANED: Alive no evidence of disease. The patient arrived in the ER alive with no evidence of disease.
- ARF: Acute renal (kidney) failure
- cap: Capsule.
- CPAP: Continuous positive airway pressure. A treatment for sleep apnea.
- DJD: Degenerative joint disease. Another term for osteoarthritis.
- DM: Diabetes mellitus. Type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- HA: Headache
- IBD: Inflammatory bowel disease. A name for two disorders of the gastrointestinal (BI) tract, Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- JT: Joint
- N/V: Nausea or vomiting.
- p.o.: By mouth. From the Latin terminology per os.
- q.i.d.: Four times daily. As in taking a medicine four times daily.
- RA: Rheumatoid arthritis
- SOB: Shortness of breath.
- T: Temperature. Temperature is recorded as part of the physical examination. It is one of the "vital signs."
Nutrition QuizEven if you think you're getting enough fruits and vegetables per day, how can you be sure? Take the Diet & Nutrition Quiz to learn more about eating right.
Ketogenic DietThese are low-carb diets -- the basic idea is to get most of your calories from protein and fat. There are some benefits, but you should be careful with them, especially if you have certain medical issues.
Sugar QuizSugar lurks in surprising places. Take the Sugar Quiz to learn of the many ways sugar sneaks into your diet and see what you know about sugar and artificial sweeteners!
The 10 Best Diet Plans For Weight LossDiet means a reduction in calorie intake. For the optimal management of overweight and obese patients, a combination of diet, exercise, and behavioral modifications may be helpful. Weight loss is directly related to the difference between the individual’s energy intake and energy expenditure.
Top 11 Signs You Are in KetosisKetosis is defined as a natural metabolic process that involves the production of energy from the breakdown of fat into ketone bodies. Signs that suggest you are in ketosis include fatigue, bad breath, dry mouth, weight loss, flu-like symptoms and decreased hunger and thirst.
What Is the Number One Diet?As per recent survey and analysis, research has confirmed that Mediterranean diet is the number one diet. As per research, people living in countries bordering the Mediterranean Sea live longer and are at low risk of cancer or cardiovascular ailments than other people.