The sucking reflex is perhaps one of the most important survival skills a baby is born with. Babies learn to suck when they are in the womb. Sucking helps the baby get nutrition apart from comforting them. Some babies love to suck their fingers or thumbs, whereas some enjoy sucking pacifiers. Read more: Are Pacifiers Good or Bad for Newborns? Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Top 10 Parenting Mistakes- Children, Infants, Toddlers
Parenting a child isn't easy. Explore the top 10 mistakes that new parents make. Discover newborn parenting tips for...
Get the Facts About Bottle Feeding and Infant Formula
Do you need to warm a bottle? What's the best way to burp your baby? Find out what you need to know about bottle feeding and...
Newborn Quiz: Baby Care Facts
Take the Babies Quiz to learn what milestones and developments you can expect from your baby’s first year.
Related Disease Conditions
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS)
The cause of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is unknown. The risk of SIDS peaks in infants 2-4 months of age. SIDS is more common among male infants, particularly African American and Native American infants, during the winter months. Putting the baby to sleep on his/her back, avoiding fluffy, loose bedding, using a firm mattress, and avoiding co-sleeping may help to prevent SIDS.
Earache: 11 Effective Home Remedies
Most earaches are not medical emergencies and can often be treated at home. You can try one or a few of the following remedies before visiting a doctor including warm compresses, cold compresses, pain medications, hydration, humidity, ear drops, chewing gum, sucking on candy, nasal spray or alternating your sleeping position to relieve earache symptoms.
How Do You Cope With a One Year Old and a Newborn?
When a second baby comes along with the first only a year old, parenting becomes an endurance test. Cope with a newborn and a one year old by getting help, involving siblings, taking care of yourself, and using other strategies.
Treatment & Diagnosis
Prevention & Wellness
- Pregnant Moms Who Smoke, Drink Put Babies at Risk of SIDS: Study
- High-Tech Pacifier Might Monitor Baby's Blood Sugar
- Don't Give Infants Honey-Filled Pacifiers: FDA
- Cleaning Your Baby's Pacifier By Sucking On It May Do Baby Good
- Health Tip: Using a Pacifier to Soothe Baby
- Mother's Voice on Special Pacifier Helps Preemies Learn to Eat
- Health Tip: Giving Baby a Pacifier
- Want Tots Without Allergies? Try Sucking on Their Pacifiers
- Pacifiers Crawling With Germs
- Pacifiers Don't Discourage Breast-Feeding, Study Says
- Health Tip: Keep Baby Safe With a Pacifier
- Health Tip: Offering Baby a Pacifier
- Health Tip: Weaning Baby From a Pacifier