Childbirth is one of the most important and life-changing phases in a couple’s life, particularly in a woman’s life. To learn about the challenges of childbirth and ways to deal with them, there are childbirth classes. Make sure you always register for a class conducted by certified personnel. Here are the top seven reasons why childbirth classes are necessary after you get pregnant:
- You will come to know about the processes that are involved in giving birth to a child.
- You can reduce your fears and worries by getting your doubts addressed in the classes. You can get many of the myths and facts cleared from the certified childbirth educators.
- Research suggests that people who attend the childbirth classes are less likely to have mental stress than those who didn't.
- The childbirth classes allow you to connect with your partner or spouse during the sessions. This connection acts as a support system throughout the entire journey of childbirth.
- Childbirth classes help you cope with the painful contractions during childbirth. You are taught relaxation techniques, visualization techniques, and given knowledge about pain treatments (such as an epidural block) used during delivery.
- Childbirth classes teach you how doctors perform the delivery, what are the different ways in which childbirth may happen, and what are the possible complications involved.
- You will also brush up your knowledge of new-born care through topics on breastfeeding, diapering, and bathing.
When should you start taking the class?
It is advisable to register early for a childbirth class as the childbirth classes get filled up early.
Childbirth classes can be taken
What are the different types of childbirth classes?
Different types of classes cover a variety of topics and teach you skills regarding childbirth. Some are refresher courses whereas some deal with in-depth knowledge regarding different kinds of birth, such as:
- Vaginal birth after C-section (VBAC)
- Multiple births (twins, triplets, and so on)
Some classes also teach you hypnobirthing, which is a technique that teaches you how to hypnotize yourself to achieve a painless and comfortable delivery.
There are two broad methods taught in childbirth classes. These are Lamaze and Bradley. Talk with your healthcare provider to decide about the type of method suitable for you. A childbirth class is generally focused on one of the two methods.
How can you find a childbirth class?
There are various ways through which you can take childbirth classes. They are:
- Most hospitals
- Birthing centers
- Online videos
- Special DVDs
You can ask your healthcare provider, a representative from your medical insurance plan, or any new parents in your family, amongst your friends, or colleagues to know about childbirth classes in your area.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Birthing, breastfeeding, and parenting classes. Available at: https://www.womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/getting-ready-baby/birthing-breastfeeding-and-parenting-classes
Top Are Childbirth Classes Really Necessary? Related Articles
Childbirth Delivery Methods and TypesThere are various childbirth delivery methods and types such as the Lamaze method, the Bradley method, water birth, and assisted births. Options for where a woman can deliver her baby include home birth, a birthing center, and a hospital. The method and type of labor and delivery options should be discussed with a woman's doctor.
Childbirth Class OptionsLearn about your childbirth class options such as the Lamaze technique, The Bradley Method, The Alexander Technique, HypnoBirthing and where to find birthing classes.
Pregnancy (Week by Week, Trimesters)Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but others include breast swelling and tenderness, nausea and sometimes vomiting, fatigue, and bloating. Second trimester symptoms include backache, weight gain, itching, and possible stretch marks. Third trimester symptoms are additional weight gain, heartburn, hemorrhoids, swelling of the ankles, fingers, and face, breast tenderness, and trouble sleeping. Eating a healthy diet, getting a moderate amount of exercise, also are recommended for a healthy pregnancy. Information about the week by week growth of your baby in the womb are provided.
Pregnancy: Multiple Births, Twins, Triplets, and MoreMultiple births occur when a woman bears twins, triplets, or even more babies during pregnancy. More multiples are born today thanks to assisted reproductive technology (ART), including in vitro fertilization using fertility drugs. Women carrying multiples often give birth via C-section.
Pregnancy Myths QuizBeing pregnant is a delicate time for both mother and baby. Take this quiz to separate the myths and facts about being pregnant, and learn the truth behind healthy pregnancies!
Pain Relief Options for Childbirth
Women experience and tolerate pain differently. For some pregnant women, focused breathing is all they need to get through labor and childbirth; but for others, numbing of the pain is desired. There are a number of different medications a woman can take during labor and childbirth. It is important for you to learn what pain relief options are available. Please discuss the options with your health care provider well before your "birth day" so that when you are in labor you understand the choices.
What Are the Side Effects of Vacuum Delivery?Vacuum delivery is a type of assisted birth delivery also called ventouse-assisted delivery. Vacuum-assisted birth is a method to assist the delivery of a baby using a vacuum device. The side effects include potential risks to the mother and risks to the baby.