Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Treatments

How was your appendicitis treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: PAB, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 01

I suddenly lost 20 pounds in 30 days during a continuous episode of diarrhea. Doctors focused on colon issues for 9 months even though CAT scans showed a damaged pancreas. No diagnosis issued and I became sicker. Doctors became disgusted with me. I don't drink alcohol. Finally, I received help via other doctors with the expensive drug Creon! Allows reasonably normal diet. This drug should be mentioned in the discussions on the website.

Comment from: Jeanne, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I was walking my dogs on the beach one morning, when I had cramping and I rushed home and had diarrhea. I felt ok and went to work. Around noon I felt lightheaded and started shivering uncontrollably. I had my coworker take me home. I sat in the sun until I warmed up and then rested for the remainder of the day. I felt ok when I woke up the next day but my blood pressure was very low. I had slight tenderness on my lower right side, and cramping and pain around to my back. I googled my symptoms and thought I had a bladder or urinary tract infection. Around noon, I started shivering so uncontrollably that I called a taxi to take me to urgent care. They checked me out and said I had very low blood pressure and was dehydrated but no fever. They hooked me up to an IV for fluids and started blood tests. Seven hours later they still didn't know what was wrong with me and were ready to send me home since they were closing, with the instructions to go to the emergency room (ER) if I had any worsening of symptoms. As I was getting ready to go, some blood tests came back with unusual numbers and they told me to go over to the ER to get checked out. I was in the ER for seven hours, while they did blood tests, pressed on my abdomen, and did an ultrasound which did not reveal anything. They sent me in for a CAT scan which showed appendicitis. And I was admitted that evening and had laparoscopic surgery. They told me my removed appendix had been inflamed. During this whole ordeal, the slight pain in my lower right abdomen was the least of my symptoms.

Comment from: MikeR, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I had no symptoms at all of appendicitis, none. No pain, no fever, and no diarrhea. As far as I was concerned I was a healthy patient. I had kidney pain on my left side and had a CT scan looking for kidney stones, no stones were found but they did find an inflamed appendix. After consulting with my surgeon I had it removed, started with laparoscopy but the appendix was so swollen they couldn't stitch me back up well. I was opened up to finish the procedure and during that time the surgeon also discovered a diverticulum and removed that. I recovered after 5 days in hospital and two more weeks at home. The appendix was sent to the lab and it was confirmed I had acute appendicitis.

Comment from: xebeast, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I went to the emergency room (ER) on August 4. CT scan revealed perforated appendix. Five weeks of IV and oral antibiotics later, I feel great. My surgeon says in three weeks we will discuss whether or not I need surgery. I guess another CT scan will be in order.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I have guttate psoriasis. When first I broke out it was seven years ago I thought I was a leper. But I was just diagnosed with this current outbreak and it is not that serious. Yes, it is on my face, arms and back but it goes away with time and without leaving scars.

Comment from: sheetmetalmomma, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

I was stung over 30 times by wasps. Most have gone away but I still itch and swell up and it has been over a week.

Comment from: Lynne, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

I have recently purchased a mattress topper and it has really improved my carpal tunnel syndrome condition. It is not waking me up every morning. Hope this may help other sufferers.

Comment from: ouch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I began having stabbing pains on my right side at work 12/18 2013. It came on fairly quick. I usually don't "freak" out with pain, but this was different. I went to emergency room and blood work showed elevated white blood cells. CAT scan showed swollen appendix. Surgery was performed later that evening. They went in through my left side with 3 incisions. The incisions are still tender, but my left side by the lower rib cage is extremely sore.

Comment from: nancy, 65-74 (Patient) Published: October 08

I awakened with severe abdominal pains at 3:00 a.m., took Tylenol and felt somewhat better. That night, more severe pains all across lower abdomen. No vomiting was present. I went to my internist, he X-rayed and saw nothing, sent me for a CT scan. The radiologist sent me straight to the emergency room, with acute appendicitis, with perforation. They did surgery that night, sent me home the next day. The recovery has been horrendous, why I do not know. The physician should have told me there needed care to get the bowels to return to normal. That was a problem for real. This is serious and certainly not a piece of cake. Please recognize severe pain in the abdominal region, most of the time means appendicitis. Go quickly to the emergency room.

Comment from: kids, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My son woke up at 8:15 AM with a stabbing pain behind his belly button and said there is something wrong. I told him to take a shower and if it was not any better, we would go to the hospital. He barely got through the shower, his paid was so bad, he had tears in his eyes and he never cries. I knew it was time to get checked out and headed to the Children's hospital. The ride to the hospital was the worst; every little bump on the road absolutely killed his stomach. Once we arrived, they checked him out and by then the pain started to radiate down the lower right side of abdomen. They knew right away it was his appendix and surgery was done a couple hours later.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: March 20

Tried the Lap way, but there was so much infection, they had to open me up the old way. I had very little symptoms that started on Saturday with not wanting to eat and just thinking I had a stomach virus. I had a sharp pain on Sunday afternoon, which went away quickly, and another lesser one on Monday. I then got my Neighbor to take me to ER. I am in my late 50's and in very good health except for a little high BP that runs in the family. By the time they figured out what was wrong with me, I was waiting in the Operating Room with the Dr's and nurses trying to get my BP up enough to operate. I survived septic shock, my Heart getting out of Rhythm, and five Days in ICU, and six days in regular room having IV antibiotics three times a day.Some of the Dr's I saw, and a couple of Dr.friends told me that especially a latter age, you don't have the severity of pain. They had to leave the main incision open, and after I got dismissed, I and to go to the Wound Center and got put on a Wound Vac for about a week to help with the drainage.

Comment from: Recovering, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Still in hospital, recovering. I had a laparoscopy: three small holes in the belly, then they puff it up with air and use tools to extract the appendix. Due to bed shortages, I was in the hospital over 24 hours before I got surgery, and by then it had ruptured. I'm in some pain, but at least now it's the pain of healing instead of the pains of infection! No fever or vomiting was ever experienced, just stomach cramps, that shifting stabbing pain on the lower right side, and nausea/lack of appetite.

Comment from: lpercelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I am a 56 year old very healthy woman. I was hit with sever nausea, running to the bathroom, where uncontrollable vomiting accrued in waves along with a burning knife feeling around my belly button. this continued most the night. I only had a low grade fever, 100.6. By morning my fever was 102.5 and the fire burning knife like again was in my lower right abdomen. I had my daughter google appendicitis, my husband calls my nurse friend... and off to the ER we went. After a CT scan, blood and urine I was given antibiotics previous to surgery and luckily they took my appendix out laproscopically. 1 day in the hospital and all is good!

Comment from: sunita, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

On 28th Aug-2011, my son aged 12-years developed a mild abdominal pain in the evening which became severe as the night approached but the pain was only confined to lower abdomen at 3 am. We admitted him in the hospital. Some pain killer injections were administered but they proved no relief. The doctor on the first instance diagnosed it as acute appendicitis clinically. Ultrasound scan was done later and hence diagnosed. Open surgery was done on 29th August. My son was allowed to go home after remaining for 2-days in the hospital. Now he is fit and luckily today he has once again going to school. It was a nightmare but anyhow the surgeon saved him.

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 02

After my busted appendix operation I couldn't breathe without excruciating pain so I took tiny breathes to reduce the pain. I was on heavy dedication for pain and antibiotics. I was hospitalized for 8 days and now 1-1/2 years later I still have pain when I sneeze, cough, twist, jump, and especially if I take a larger than normal breathe. I have had many tests of all kinds and nothing shows up. I got my hospital records and it says I had gangrene and puss with a foul odor when they opened me up. I just have to live with it I suppose. I'm 77 years old and a very active person physically, yard work, 5 acres, and restoring my house alone, flooring, windows, doors, moldings, cove and base etc.

Comment from: carolyne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

It was treated by removal of the appendix, which turned out to be normal. However, the lymph glands were all found to be swollen and the MDs said they would test: three weeks prior to the operation I had a severe viral infection which lasted for about three days. The doctors think that there is a possibility that the two are related but the swollen lymph glands will remain a worry until tests provide something conclusive.

Comment from: Irishteacher, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

Saturday afternoon thought i had food poisoning. Went to Urgent Care next day around noon. They sent me to hospital for CT scan. Inflamed appendix and need for surgery was the diagnosis. I had surgery around 4:30 and awake at 6:15 and ready to go home. I went home the next day and the next day back to work. I teach and felt great. I had minimal symptoms and glad i went to the doctor. I had great care and tell people to know their bodies and not put off. A cavity has given me more pain and problems.

Comment from: hardheaded, 55-64 Male Published: March 13

I am now 61 years of age, my appendix ruptured on me when I was age 9. The last thing I remember was being rushed upstairs to the operating room. I woke up quite a bit later to find myself packed in ice and a big tube stuck in my side drawing out a brown stinky goo. I blacked out, woke up about 3 months later. was suppose to go home on the fist of May but blacked out again, woke up a few weeks later. Can't remember how long I was in the hospital. I am now curious if that episode has anything to do with my health issues now?

Comment from: Chelle Torres, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had been experiencing severe stomach ache for 3 days. It started on the upper right side of my stomach On the first day, I though that it would be relieved when I took Buscopan, but it didn't. Saturday and Sunday the pain got worst. I could now feel it on my whole stomach, but it hurts more on the right side but I still ignored it. Monday, my boss told me to go to the hospital and have it checked. When I got to the hospital the doctor requested for CBC and urinalysis, then injected pain reliever directly to my veins. I went home but it still hurts, the next day I went back to the hospital and they had me undergo a CT scan. They found out the outer lining of my appendix was already swollen and there was no other remedy other than undergoing appendectomy. Doctor said it had just started and that's why it didn't show up.

Comment from: TKay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My appendicitis went undiagnosed for seven months until I went through multiple tests, torturous exams, three specialists and exploratory surgery by my gynecologist. A general surgeon finally agreed to take my appendix out while going in to remove my gall bladder. I had no fever, and the CT, ultrasound, and blood work was normal. I now have adhesions and scar tissue that affect my life every day because my body tried to "heal itself." Fortunately it didn't burst and I survived, but if you have pain that you've never had before, don't believe it's "just gas." See doctor after doctor until they will take it out.

Comment from: Vida loca, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was admitted to the hospital with nausea, vomiting, and severe pain in my stomach. I stayed in the hospital for 10 days - had many, many tests. I was finally sent home with a diet sheet for gastroenteritis. Ten years later I was admitted to the hospital to have my right tube cleared. They found my exploded appendix attached to my tube. The doctors told me they found a huge mass of pus in my stomach and asked me if I had ever experienced severe stomach pain, because my appendix had ruptured. I was 28 years old at the time and am now 70, so I did live through a ruptured appendix. I seem to be prone to infections - having had skin boils, impetigo, etc. I guess I am just lucky to have survived all that stuff.

Comment from: 25-34 Female Published: October 13

Well it felt like indigestion all day while I was at work. I work 12 hours a day. I ate a little and took an antacid. When I got home, I drank some milk. I tried to sleep, but I still felt like I had indigestion. I woke up to go to work, and the pain shifted to my right side. I went to hospital where they ran tests. The test came back and showed that I have appendicitis.

Comment from: T.hawkins, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

My pain started last night. I thought I was having a bad case of indigestion. Around 3am, the pain had intensified, and I began to vomit. My husband took me to the doctor early the next morning where they did a cat scan. My appendix was removed the same day. It did not rupture, thank goodness. Now I have to recover. I have 4 children and I teach 1st grade. My advice to anyone is to go to doctor immediately if you are having symptoms.

Comment from: Passions, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

Just released from hospital, don't wait if you have the slightest symptoms a CT scan can confirm. I had severe abdominal pains that went away except for some soreness. I was diagnosed the next day with a CT scan. The surgeon said I was lucky, it was near bursting. Take this seriously my neighbor died from it.

Comment from: sandy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

My appendix has been removed so far so good. Before I had it removed I was struggling.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter