Patient Comments: Appendicitis - Complications

Please discuss complications you experienced with appendicitis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: SunnyTeacher, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have a prior diagnosis of multiple sclerosis so with the bloating, pain in back and stomach, feeling like I was full, I also had numbness in my feet and legs so bad that I had to use a walker. The appendix concerns the central nervous system and I was diagnosed with inflammation of my appendix. I went to the emergency room (ER) and the doctor initially said it was just multiple sclerosis symptoms with my lymphocytes looking strange and sent me home. Ten painful days later I went back to the ER and they did another CT scan and said it was appendicitis because of inflammation. I opted for antibiotics instead of surgery but the surgeon was doubtful I would get better. I did get better without surgery and got to go home in 2 days. I have a 7 day antibiotic prescription and am taking it slow eating; broth for one meal a day and light meals.

Comment from: alice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I had no pain – only a dull ache in my lower right abdomen. I had a fever, vomiting, and eventually couldn't down anything. Since I've often had ill health, I didn't go to the hospital until my brother took me. I had a CT scan and the doctor operated that day. He said the appendix hadn't burst but was leaking and had spread the infection. It doesn't always present with an obvious sharp pain.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter