Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix. Appendicitis often causes sings and symptoms such as abdominal pain in the lower right quadrant, nausea, vomiting, abdominal tenderness, fever, and loss of appetite.
Delay in surgery can result in appendix rupture with potentially serious complications.Read more: Appendicitis Symptoms, Signs, Pain, Tests, Surgery, Treatments Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Appendicitis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
How dangerous is appendicitis? Take this quiz to answer questions, get quick facts, and learn the causes of appendicitis as well...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Appendicitis
Inflammation of the appendix, the small worm-like projection from the first part of the colon. See a picture of Appendicitis and...
Picture of Appendix 2
The appendix is a closed-ended, narrow, worm-like tube up to several inches in length that attaches to the cecum (the first part...
Picture of Appendix 1
Front View of the Appendix. The appendix sits at the junction of the small intestine and large intestine. See a picture of the...
Picture of Intestines
The intestines are a long, continuous tube running from the stomach to the anus. See a picture of the Intestines and learn more...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Appendix Pain? Appendicitis, Surgery, and More
What causes appendicitis? Appendix pain can lead to appendicitis. Learn about appendicitis symptoms and signs. Explore the steps...
Pelvic Pain: What's Causing Your Pelvic Pain?
There are many causes of pelvic pain in women including cysts, PMS, appendicitis, and bladder infections. Pelvic pain has...
What's Causing Your Abdominal Pain?
Get the facts on the most common causes of abdominal pain. Learn the difference between a stomachache and more serious causes of...
Related Disease Conditions
Second Source article from Government...
Second Source WebMD Medical Reference...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
First aid is a complicated subject and it is situation-specific. First aid is defined as the help and medical assistance someone...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Night Sweats (In Men and Women) Causes, Remedies, and Treatments
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. The causes of night sweats in most...
Symptoms of 12 Serious Diseases and Health Problems
Learn how to recognize early warning signs and symptoms of serious diseases and health problems, for example, chronic cough,...
Medical shock is a life-threatening medical condition. There are several types of medical shock, including: septic shock,...
Peritonitis is a bacterial infection inside of the abdomen. Some doctors choose to group the causes of peritonitis into five...
Why Am I So Bloated and Gassy?
Bloating is a feeling that your abdomen is distended or larger than normal, but it does not necessarily mean that it is. Gas...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Appendicitis FAQs
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor - General
- Appendicitis Test - Approved by FDA
- First Aid Fast Facts
- Appendicitis: Is It Appendicitis or Something Else?
- Doctors Answer Digestion Questions
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Appendicitis Treatment with Antibiotics
- Abdominal Pain: Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Antibiotics 101
- Abdominal Adhesions
- Ask the Experts - Gastroentrology (Digestion)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Antibiotics May Cure Appendicitis -- No Operation Needed
- Health Tip: Learn Symptoms of Appendicitis
- Could Your Colonoscopy Raise Your Risk for Appendicitis?
- Surgery or Antibiotics for Appendicitis? Here's What Patients Chose
- Is Surgery Always Needed for Kids' Appendicitis?
- Emergency Surgery Riskier for Kids in Poorer Countries
- Mild Appendicitis Complication Rates Similar for Surgery, Antibiotics
- Antibiotics Often Enough for Kids' Appendicitis
- Antibiotics May Not Help After 'Complicated' Appendectomy
- CT Scan Use in Kids Fell Over Past Decade
- Appendicitis Can Often Be Treated With Antibiotics
- Child's Appendix More Likely to Rupture in Regions Short of Surgeons
- Appendix Removal Isn't Riskier on Weekend, Study Says
- Smoggy Days May Raise Your Odds for Burst Appendix
- Hospital Type Linked to Racial Disparities in Kids With Appendicitis Complication
- Speed Bumps May Aid Appendicitis Diagnosis
- Study Downplays Risk of CT Scans
- Low-Radiation CT Scans Effective at Spotting Appendicitis: Study
- Hospital Charges Show Huge Variance in Study
- Antibiotics for Appendicitis an Option for Some
- Many Medical Tests, Procedures Not Always Needed
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter