Patient Comments: Appendectomy - Recovery

How was the recovery process for your appendectomy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: yawyawland, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I'm a 44 year old female and had a burst appendix taken out almost 7 months ago. I had a stomach ache and thought it was gastroenteritis. The pain in the stomach wasn't too bad and the cramp felt like it was cause by the vomiting. The fever and vomiting continued for another day or so with cold shivers in between, 24/7. I went to the doctor and I was asked to give a stool sample. I went home but was constipated for another 3 days. I took my very small stool sample back to the doctor and was told to wait for the result. I went back there 2 days later and only got told by the replacement doctor that I'm just dehydrated, and to go home and drink some water. I started hallucinating the following night and we went straight to emergency room. I was admitted straight away, scanned overnight and operated first in the morning. I was told my abdominal pain wasn't pronounced because some body fat somehow surrounded the leak which slowed the contamination. I was in hospital for 20 days on observation because I was left with 2 abscesses, 2 drains, and an SMV (superior mesenteric vein) blood clot. I was on antibiotics for months and was put on blood thinning medicines (warfarin) for 6 months. It didn't actually help with the blood clot. After a revisit to the surgeon last month, I was told that the latest scan had revealed a thickening of the walls in my bowel and booked in for a colonoscopy next month. The saga continues. I was admitted into the hospital 19th Jan, it is now 1st of September.

Comment from: MsPats, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had upper abdominal pain, then vomiting and diarrhea, on June 10. I couldn't hold anything down and pain moved to lower abdomen. I went to the emergency room on 6/11 but my temperature only went to 100. They found a perforated appendix and did laparoscopic surgery. It took 5 days for my gastrointestinal tract to recover enough to send me home with a JP (Jackson-Pratt) drain. Severe cramps started 10 days after surgery but got better when drain was removed on day 11. It's been 3 weeks since surgery but I'm still having bloating, gas, pain, belly cramps, and tenderness. I did increase my walking pretty fast, maybe too much, but more than a couple miles a day (per my Fitbit), and it makes it worse.

Comment from: HealthISgift, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 22

On 5 June 2016, my 3rd day In India for holiday, I had a breakfast in a mall and then started walking in the mall with a little pain in the upper abdomen. Five hours later the pain had traveled down to right bottom abdomen. I went to the toilet and had a bit of diarrhea and vomit. I took paracetamol, antacid, and lots of water. At this point I thought it was just a gastritis. At night, at the hotel I had fever and a lot of pain. Next morning I went to the hospital, and diagnosed with appendicitis. They performed, the open appendectomy (old fashion) rather than laparoscopic appendectomy. Anyway I stayed 3 days at the hospital and I was exploring India 2 days after discharge.

Comment from: Mohamed H., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

Out of the blue, after such a hectic meeting, I got home to a painful abdomen. I thought that it was some kind of rejection my body was having towards my lunch earlier, I've had an outbreak of vomit late that evening. Thinking it was just some stomach pain, I went to a scan and blood test with my wife a week after. My doctor told me I had to have appendectomy and that I was lucky to be walking around ten days without it exploding. Two weeks after the surgery, I still sleep on one side and very cautious with my movement. I was in the hospital for further 5 days after the surgery. I know I'll get better. I get that odd itchy feeling around the area of the surgery which can mean only positiveness.

Comment from: scificandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I had stomach bloating and pain all day while shopping with friends. I took Gas-X but that didn't really help. I waited all evening for the gas to go away, it did but then seemed like it got stuck in my lower right side. Finally I went the emergency room after midnight, and after CT scan and blood tests it was confirmed appendicitis. I was scheduled for laparoscopic surgery the next morning. It took 45 minutes, no problems, not perforated, etc. I felt great and never felt any pain after that. It has been a week so far.

Comment from: chaos 38, Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I was in Mexico and started having diarrhea and fever the last two days of my vacation. This continued a few days after my return. Within 5 days I visited the doctor and was sent home with antibiotics and was told it was a virus I picked up. At 1 am the following morning my appendix ruptured resulting in severe pain, vomiting and profuse sweating. After being admitted, a CT scan confirmed ruptured appendix. I was started on heavy antibiotics and was sent into surgery two days later due to an extremely high white blood cell count. It took 6 liters to flush the poison, an abscess on the base of my colon to be incised and 19 staples to close my incision. I spent 2 days in ICU, and 11 days in the hospital with severe swelling of the stomach and legs. I was 7 weeks out of work, and just returned to light duty.

Comment from: Amb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

I went to bed on a Wednesday with a bad sinus infection and awoke early Thursday with absolutely no sinus infection but abdominal pain (apparently this is odd, but not impossible). I toughed it out in bed all day thinking it was first bad cramps and then maybe a ruptured ovarian cyst (which I know they do nothing for). When I wasn't better on Friday morning I went to the urgent care and was diagnosed with probable appendicitis with rupture due to rebound pain and sent to the emergency room. A CT scan confirmed the appendicitis but was iffy on the rupture. Laparoscopic surgery was done and successful despite finding a rupture. I spent 5 nights in the hospital then several more days at home largely resting before a week of half days at work. It has been 17 days since the surgery and my abdomen still feels weak and rather strange. But I can handle food fine and most everyday tasks with just a little less stamina.

Comment from: Jersey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

It has been 15 days since my appendectomy. I was in constant pain for 2 days straight. I went to the doctor next morning. I was sent for CT scan, then sent straight to the hospital. I was taken to surgery at 7:45. I was in my room at 10:00. I was kept out of pain but felt so much less pain from the appendix that was actually stuck to my colon. My awesome surgeon showed me a picture of it and said I did great, sounded and looked great, and said I can go home.

Comment from: appljuiz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I am a 27 year old female, 150 lb. By the third time I visited the emergency room (February 2015, August 2015, and February 2016) with severe stomach bloat/cramp pains (nausea, vomiting, sweating, chills, and difficulty walking), they ordered an ultrasound. My appendix could not be found via ultrasound because it lodged behind my bowel somehow. CT scan showed a perforated appendix, and a laparoscopic appendectomy was performed. It has been 5.5 days since (2 nights stay in hospital) and recovery has been difficult. Transition to solid foods has taken a toll on my bowel and intestines, and I get bursts of pain from the incisions and trapped gas or any sort of bowel movement. I would advise to keep sipping water throughout recovery, and keep cans of ginger ale or carbonated water around if you wake up in pain. In my case, the pain is quickly relieved by burping. Staying hydrated, moderate squats, walking and marching on the spot is helpful for bowel movement. I am alternating between Tylenol and Advil 2 every 3 hours but now I can occasionally stretch it to every 4 or 5 hours (oxycodone if I am desperate). I am eager to go back to work but as per the doctor's orders I won't start for another 7.5 days. Also, there is a risk of developing a hernia if carrying heavy loads too soon after surgery, so it is best to go slow and easy anyway.

Comment from: c3527, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I am a 67 year old male in good health and reasonably fit and work out at a health club gym 5 to 6 days a week. I developed a dull ache near my navel on Sunday evening, gradually getting worse. By Monday evening, I went to the emergency clinic (after having vomited). I thought I had the 24 hour bug but wanted to be checked out. Blood work was done; white blood cell count was slightly elevated. No x-ray done. I was given some medicines to help with the nausea and discharged. Next morning the pain moved lower and was unbearable. I was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room. CT scan and x-rays revealed I needed emergency surgery. Appendectomy was performed late afternoon. Laparoscopic incision revealed the infection was much worse. So major surgery was performed. The appendix had gangrene and infection so severe that the area was flushed three times with saline solution (I had a great surgeon) and closed up with 18 stitches. I was in the hospital for eight nights and nine days. I was on IV antibiotics (two kinds, each two hours apart) about a week and tube down my nose to my stomach to drain bile, for a couple of days. I was on a catheter for several days; bowels didn't work for several days. Was extremely weak for about a week. No food for about a week. Discharge to home on day nine and on antibiotic (Augmentin 875 mg 2 times day for 7 days). I was very weak the first week home and was ordered not to do too much but to gradually do a little more each day. Amazingly (after best wishes from many and the loving supportive care of my wonderful wife) in about two weeks home, I had regained most of my strength (but had lost 13 pounds while in the hospital) and the incision was healing well. Now I am on week 5 after surgery and I am back to the gym with my old stamina on the treadmill. I am grateful to be alive as I read how serious my condition was.

Comment from: TdK, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I'm 36 years old and in good health, reasonably fit but not a star athlete. I developed a slight abdominal pain some days ago, and what felt like bloating and mild constipation. Assuming it was only something I ate, I took some medicine for cramps. The pain lingered for a few days, sometimes being barely noticeable and rather annoying at other times, with a noticeably reduced appetite. On day 4, I realized that the pain was localized on the right of my stomach, by pressing on it, so I went to see my general physician. He diagnosed it as appendicitis, and arranged for conventional surgery that evening. I went into the theater around 19:00, and remember waking up around 20:30. I stayed in the hospital for the night, and awoke with no pain. I drove myself home the morning after surgery at 10:00, and took it easy for the day. It is now 3 days after the operation, and I have experienced almost no pain. I have a follow-up consultation scheduled with the surgeon in 2 days. I probably have some weeks before I can resume normal physical activities and exercise, and a lot can still happen during this time, but for now this has been an extremely easy and painless experience.

Comment from: Andrea V, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I woke up on a Sunday thinking I had the stomach flu. By 3 pm I was still throwing up and running a slight fever. I had my daughter bring me to the emergency room and I had blood, urine tests and a CAT scan. I went into surgery before midnight Sunday evening and woke up feeling so much better. I went into recovery, and within 3 hours I was up walking and 3 hours after up walking by myself. I have a little pain and I tend to get tired easily (it is only 2 days after surgery) but I feel fantastic! I can't thank my surgeon enough.

Comment from: Wingvie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am 46 years old and in great shape. I had pains on Wednesday all day, and went to the hospital late afternoon suspecting appendicitis, as my sister had it less than a month earlier, which is pretty weird, as she is 51 years old. Sure enough, it was appendicitis and they operated on me the next morning, Thursday, and I was out of surgery around 11. I left the hospital about 5:00, got my medications and rested that night, Thursday. Friday, I got up around 9 and actually drove myself out to get groceries and errands, cooked a meal, rested the rest of the day. I quit taking medicines that day, woke up next day, Saturday, feeling great. I am very sore still, but not nearly as bad as day before, and am able to get off the couch and back on couch with much less pain. I had a bowel movement, which was a big concern, so I should be on my way to recovery. The reason I tell this story is that I think lying around in bed for a week may not be the best thing to do. Maybe you should move around, I was actually by myself, but just took extra care about every movement I made, and what I ate. I used a cane those first two days, which also helped keep pressure off the abdomen when getting up/sitting down. Do all the right things, be positive, and hopefully you will recover nicely, as well. Take care.

Comment from: Karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 3 months post laparoscopic appendectomy and met with my surgeon this morning. I had three laparoscopic holes and the top healed but the bottom two have continued to be severely itchy and draining with constant slight serous drainage. A culture was started but after that the itching became intensely severe and is causing me to sweat. I was prescribed a cream to keep on the sites. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this type of response. I'm a 53 year old female with several prior surgeries and have never experienced anything like this. I am not overweight and have continued to be active.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

Sunday night I had occasional severe pain in rectum and trouble passing gas. I went into the emergency room on Monday morning and was diagnosed with appendicitis and prepped for operating that afternoon. It was my first surgery so I was pretty nervous. They removed my appendix and also a dead 'little fat ball' on my bowel (which was more likely the true cause of pain). The following day was pretty painful and I didn't do much but lay on the couch. Note: I only used ibuprofen for pain relief as the codeine-type stuff made me throw up. Wednesday there was still some soreness and difficulty moving around, but the worst was the shoulder pain from the gas used in laparoscopic surgery; it seemed better when lying on my back. Thursday was a pretty good day and I was able to get around outside the house and even went for a 2 mile walk. Today is Friday and I almost feel normal except when coughing, hiccupping, clearing throat, etc., then stomach muscles are pretty sore. It seems recovery is on track and I'll be back to work on Monday and hopefully normal exercise and snowboarding, etc., within another week or so.

Comment from: Realtor, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a 45 year old male and I just had laparoscopic procedure done on my appendix. The appendectomy was done at 10 am and I was home at 4 pm. I do have a drain tube in my stomach area to remove fluid for a few more days till I do a follow up on the surgery. I figured it would be an easy recovery, but I have considerable pain in the former appendix area. It has been less than 24 hours since procedure and it takes great effort to get up and even walk. It is painful to laugh or reposition on a recliner. Hopeful it will ease in couple days. I just want to be back to normal.

Comment from: Muni408, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I am a 31 year old mother of 3, 115 lb. I am 7 days post appendectomy. I went to the emergency room (ER) last week on Sunday and was misdiagnosed with a urinary tract infection (UTI) and discharged. They sent me home with antibiotics and Zofran for the vomiting. Clearly the pain didn't subside and I ended back at the ER one and a half days later. This time they ordered an ultrasound and CT scan in which they found the perforated appendix. They informed me I would require immediate surgery but from the time they made the discovery to when I got to pre-operation my appendix ruptured. They performed laparoscopic appendectomy at 11 pm and my surgeon said it took about 1 hour to clean up the pus and remove what was left of the appendix. One day post operation I was feeling super bloated and sore. My throat hurt a lot too. I was so bloated I looked 4 months pregnant. Since then, my incisions have been fine, though some areas are still sore. Though I'm still feeling super bloated and I have a terrible pain in the right side of my mid/lower back and trouble breathing in spurts. It hurts to laugh and cough if I turn the wrong way. I'm still sleeping propped up too.

Comment from: Senior 68 yrs old, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

Last Tuesday I had laparoscopic appendectomy. Less than 2 hours later they sent me home in a lot pain and half way asleep. Forty-eight hours later the cut in my abdomen turned into a big huge bruise. The next day I went to see the surgeon and he told me, 'goodness, I never saw anything like that' and asked me if I took any aspirin. Of course I answered no, only the pain killer that they give me and my blood pressure medicine Zestoretic. This was his only explanation. He asked me to make the 10 days appointment. I am still in a lot of pain.

Comment from: Barnie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had my appendix out via laparoscopy 8 weeks ago. I was in hospital for only one night before being discharged home. I had two weeks off work as I was very sore and in a lot of pain still. After 3 weeks of intense and sharp pain (where my appendix once was) I returned to my doctor who ordered a CT. This showed free gas in my abdomen and I was hospitalized for 5 days. The surgeons wanted to treat it conservatively with IV antibiotics, even though my white blood cell count was normal. I spent 14 days on antibiotics and ever since then have remained on ibuprofen and Panadeine constantly. It has been 8 weeks, I still have a sore, distended abdomen and sharp pains. I am being referred for endoscopy/colonoscopy now and then most likely another laparoscopy. No one knows what is going on and I am very much over being in pain. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I'm actually glad to have found this page as most of you had perfect recoveries. I sometimes doubt this is really happening and if I just need to harden up!

Comment from: udkoepp, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had battled with chronic abdominal pain for four years backdated to 2011. The first onset experience was of acute abdomen pain with symptoms of loss appetite, nausea, and abdominal swelling. My general physician suspected my condition of being appendicitis. I was admitted immediately into hospital and diagnosed with reactive lymph nodes pathology. Then in 2014 this same abdominal pain struck me worse off than the first one. The pain was around my navel and slightly within off limits to the boundary to where my appendix sits. Once again I was diagnosed with reactive lymph nodes. No definite diagnosis because my blood work was normal. I sought an experienced surgeon. I underwent first diagnostic laparoscopy, then it was modified to laparoscopic appendectomy. Surgeon found an angry appendix that was right in the middle of my navel. Condition was intestinal malrotation that pushed the digestive system out of proportion. Appendectomy was done. All the classic tales of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), and malrotation pointed to definite diagnosis that was missed by the previous surgeons. All symptoms backdated from 2011 to 2014 disappeared upon recovering from the laparoscopic appendectomy. I went back to my old self.

Comment from: Platinum3462, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I am a 35 year old overweight female. I had pain that at first I thought was food poisoning, or a cramp but over the next 5 hours it got worse and worse. I did not wait and went right to the emergency room (ER) on May 23rd, mostly because I have had a fear of my appendix bursting since I was about 10 and was convinced it was actually happening. The ER doctor told me it was appendicitis and they were setting things up now for removing it. The surgery went fine. The doctor told me on a scale of 1-10 the appendix was about a 7 and would have more than likely ruptured within the next 2 days. I was in the hospital for 2 days and off work for one week. My recovery has been going well and I have had very little pain since the first few days home. However at the moment I am noticing an odd pain in my lower stomach, sort of next to and below my scar that feels odd when I press on it or stand for too long. If I am not touching it it's a dull ache, when I press on it, it feels like painful pinching. No idea if this is normal, so I am waiting to see if it goes away on its own because I am not noticing any other issues and feel ok.

Comment from: appendectomy sucks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

As for me, my pain began at midnight mostly in the uterine area which I thought was maybe a ruptured cyst. I went to the emergency room at 7:45 am had a CT scan at 11:45 am and was told my appendix measured 1 cm. I finally had surgery at 9:00 pm and the appendix was measuring almost 10 cm. My incision is the size of my hand and recovery has been really hard on me. I am overweight and this has been my only surgery. Everything has been very difficult for me from the healing to the coping of the actual appendectomy. My incision had 2 hematomas underneath and hot to the touch. Doctor squeezed the incision to see if there was any infection but luckily none. It's been 3 1/2 weeks post-surgery and slowly but surely I've learned how to do everything again by myself. My milestone today was being able to tie my own shoe lace without assistance.

Comment from: wintergal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I was a very healthy, 52 year old female. I had abdominal pain for 2.5 days that got worse. First visit to the emergency room (ER) misdiagnosed my appendicitis as uterine fibroids. (They didn"t bother to do blood work!) Back to ER 12 hours later with WBC of 1700. Laparoscopic surgery was done to remove my ruptured appendix. I was in the hospital for 6 days. During that time I had a fever and felt horrible. The day I was discharged a CT scan was done revealing a few small abscesses, fluid on my lungs and a kidney stone. I had a lot of ups and downs once I was home. I had to sleep sitting up for the fluid on the lungs and it took about a week for my digestive system to start working again. It has been over 2 weeks now since my surgery and I am finally starting to improve. If you ever have abdominal pain that you suspect might be appendicitis, don"t hesitate to get it checked. And make sure they do blood work. Waiting until it ruptures makes the recovery process much tougher.

Comment from: Patoka, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I had an emergency appendectomy on February 25th and went home on the 25th. After 1 1/2 weeks I was feeling better, started work on Mar 10 and 11 and had a relapse on the evening of the 11th. I had shooting pains when passing gas, having a bowel movement and after eating. Today, Mar 16th, I'm still not better, now I have blood in urine. I will be contacting the surgeon's office tomorrow.

Comment from: Kendrik, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 06

I am a 24 year old man from Singapore. I was diagnosed with appendicitis upon my second day of arrival, in the local hospital and was immediately sent for surgery at 4AM local time. They inserted 4 holes in me, and the one nearest to the belly button is the most painful. The ones at the sides are recovering pretty fast. I was advised to eat soft food for the next 2 to 3 days, before attempting to consume slightly more solid food. Currently, I am on my 5th day recovering from the surgery, and am able to walk around freely, though indoors.

Comment from: EE, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 44-year-old overweight male. I started having central abdominal pain Saturday evening that became diffuse then eventually settled at my right lower abdomen. I went to the emergency room Monday evening and had a CT and some blood work that diagnosed appendicitis. I had the laparoscopic appendectomy Tuesday afternoon. The surgery well, though I was in a lot of pain (the surgeon had a lot of tissue to cut through). Wednesday morning I was up walking around, but Wednesday afternoon my heart went into A-Fib which is a rapid, irregular rhythm and Wednesday I developed a fever of 104. They did a repeat CT and determined that I had a small fluid buildup in my abdomen. They were unable to determine if it was an abscess or just a collection of cirrus fluid. After five days longer in the hospital, my heart rate/rhythm finally converted back to normal. Also they gave me a bunch of antibiotics to clear up whatever infection there was. I'm now ten days post surgery and I feel OK.

Comment from: Tippy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I had a laparoscopic appendectomy 11 days ago. Everything seemed to be going well until a week after surgery. I have a marble sized knot under my skin at the incision site to the left of my belly button. At first, it was a sharp pain, now it's just an achy pain.

Comment from: jesse b., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

I had my appendix taken out Sunday morning at 2 am and I'm on the 5th day of recovery. I am not having any pain around the incisions but I am still having abdominal pain; it feels like burning and stretching.

Comment from: BAO, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I came home on a Friday around 7:00 pm. On my way home, I had nausea and pain where my belly button is located. I lay down for about an hour and the pain got worse. I went to the emergency room (ER) where I waited in the waiting room for 4 hours. As I waited, the pain shifted from my belly button to my lower right abdomen. After finally being seen, a blood test and CT scan confirmed I had appendicitis. I had surgery Saturday morning. I was in a lot more pain than when I went in because I already take pain medications for 2 back surgeries and the doctor prescribed less medications than what I had been taking. Once the medications were upped, I started feeling better. It's been a slow process. I try to sit up and walk around the house to strengthen my stomach and back muscles. It's been 1-1/2 weeks and hope to go back to work at the 2 week mark.

Comment from: Bdrew, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 12

Tuesday morning I arrived at the office, about 10 minutes into my day a stomach ache began. It got increasingly worse and by 9 am had traveled to my lower right abdominal area. I went to the emergency room (ER) and received pain medications and a CT scan. At 2:00 pm that day I went into surgery and was signing discharge paperwork by 4:30. That night I was in my bed and worked from home the following day. Today is 2 days after my appendectomy and I am in the office.

Comment from: neptune227, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I am a 30 year old female, 2 and a half weeks post-operation for laparoscopic appendectomy. I went to the hospital because I spiked a sudden fever and couldn't stop shaking. The pain started in my back, then felt like menstrual cramps, and finally localized to the lower right side of my abdomen. They did a CT and blood work. I was diagnosed within 4 hours, in surgery within 12 hours, and then released from the hospital 16 hours after the procedure. I was in a lot of pain for 3 days but since then, I just have soreness and fatigue. I have a very physical job so the doctor gave me 3 weeks off.

Comment from: tinaxoxo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

Monday I went into the hospital because I was feeling a lot of abdominal pain, they decided to admit me. They did CT scan and blood work and then decided it was my appendix. I went into surgery the next day. I was in severe pain afterwards. I couldn't use my stomach muscles much. But now I"m getting a little better, I"m feeling this stretching feeling in an around my incision.

Comment from: dac, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 20

I am a 34 year old male. I had some pain in my abdomen at 5pm one evening and the pain steadily grew over the next 12 hours. I decided to go to the ER at 5am the next day. I was diagnosed with appendicitis and they removed my appendix. The surgeon did not remove it laparoscopically, not sure why. I have a 5 inch incision on the lower right side of my abdomen. Recovery has been pretty easy although some tenderness remains. I am also a cyclist and started cycling doing easy rides 10 days after surgery. It's now 16 days after surgery and hoping everything finishes healing quickly.

Comment from: Linzz, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am a 15 year old girl and it's been a month and 11 days since my appendectomy was done. Recovering hasn't been so easy for me considering the fact that i still feel some pain around the wound, but deep inside. I don't know if it's anything serious or its part of the whole healing process, but whatever it is I pray that I get totally healed.

Comment from: Nightmare, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I have just gone through the worst week of my life, it started on the Monday with pains. It had been brilliant till then, and I went to bed thinking it was just a bug. I went to the doctor Tuesday lunchtime, who took some blood and said she was going to give me antibiotics. Then my husband pushed her and she thought she would send me to hospital. We went and by this time I was in agony getting into the car. I think that's when it ruptured. The pain, I have never felt anything like it. They x-rayed me but nothing! They kept me in overnight and the doctor who saw me through the night, said put her down for a scan. I had it the next morning and they said they would let me know the results in 2 hours or so. They were down in 10 minutes and booked me in for emergency surgery. At 8 that night I got the operation, and medication that hasn't agreed with me. The pain is unbelievable, the stitches awful, but it is mind over matter and I am lucky to be alive.

Comment from: SurprisedOne, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

I had severe general abdominal pain and was unable to sleep through the night. When I awoke the pain was all on my left side of abdomen. So I called my doctor, he saw me, and since it was the afternoon before thanksgiving he sent me to the emergency room (ER) for a CAT scan. The CAT scan showed my appendix was (my word) gross. They removed it and I was out the next day and told not to lift anything more than 156 lb. for 2 months. I am an active guy and am used to heavy workouts and lugging lumber. I am as patient in my recovery as possible, yet feeling able and not doing heavy lifting is a challenge.

Comment from: Mazhar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

After my appendectomy, I am having some tenderness on my incision wound and still feel something is not good inside my belly. I hope I will be fine soon. May be it is normal recovery process.

Comment from: Connor, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

Back on a November night I began to feel some mild stomach pain as I was going to bed. I ended up waking up multiple times in the morning with extremely painful, lower right, abdominal pain. Around noon the next day I went off to an immediate care clinic where I had a CT scan done. I then went immediately into surgery, and it was done in about 2 hours. My hospital stay was great: I was able to control how much pain medicine I wanted, and I was out the next day, and was able to return to school the next week. The only annoying part about the whole thing was that they had to use a catheter after administering a ton of fluids in my IV. The laparascopic incisions healed up very fast because skin glue was used in place of stitches.

Comment from: mickiesmommy, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

My 10 year old had an emergency appendectomy on 2/22. Now it's been two weeks and she's gained 5 pounds, has a distended stomach, and has gone from majorly constipated to severe diarrhea. She also has stomach pain that's below the incision site. It feels like it tenses up and twists inside (her words). Her surgeon put her on probiotics to help regulate her, but the pain isn't getting any better. We're wondering if something happened during surgery to trigger these symptoms??

Comment from: Tarik, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I had recurent pain for 2 years. The pain included vomiting and constipation. After an awful night where I had strong constipation, pain in my belly and vomited a little bit of blood. I decided to see a doctor. When I saw the doctor my pain had lowered, it was in the right side of my belly. They decided to do a CT and found inflamed appendix. They did the laporoscopy. 2 weeks later I was already dancing in the clubs.

Comment from: Kris, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I am a 15 year old girl. Two days ago, I woke up around 8 a.m. with abdominal pain which eventually concentrated around my lower right abdomen. At about 1 p.m. I went to the emergency room, got blood and urine tests and an ultrasound, and they determined that I had appendicitis. At 6:30 p.m. I had a laparoscopic appendectomy, and by 8:30 p.m. I was in my hospital bed, fully aware, and not in too much pain. That night I was doing homework and reading, and I could walk on my own. I was released at 10 am the next day with a prescription for pain pills that I have barely used. I slept a full 12 hours last night, and I feel great. Now it has been 42 hours since my surgery and I am in no pain, except when I walk and that is just a slight soreness. I am planning to go back to school tomorrow. I've been told that I am recovering spectacularly, and it may have something to do with the fact that I am young, otherwise perfectly healthy, and very active. I don't have fatigue and I am able to eat anything. This is probably a best case scenario, so good luck to everyone else!

Comment from: sunflower456789, 25-34 Female Published: September 26

Well, I'm glad everyone elses story was so great and easy for them. Mine was kind of different to say the least. I had pain in my lower right area, went to hospital, had a CT scan and it turned out to be appendicitis. Next, I had it removed. After I awoke is where my problem began. I couldn't breath and every single breath I took hurt. My body was breathing fast and that was out of my control. Seems like the doctors don't want to admit something happened during the laparoscopic appendectomy. For a full day after surgery if I sat up or went to the bathroom (anything that required movement) it hurt to breathe. I am still investigating this. I am doing better now but I would really like the truth on what happened.

Comment from: edwards1364, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a 32 year-old male, after work one night I had a small amount of pain in my belly. The pain increased through the night and at 2 am I was at the ER. I had the laproscopic surgery at 9 am and was released at noon the following day. It is now 40 hours after surgery and my recovery is going quite well. What I think has helped the most is the use of an old cane I had in the garage. I have used it to help me move around the house and keep some of the stress of my abdomen. In fact my recovery is going so well I will most likely go back to work tomorrow. I hope my suggestion is helpful to anyone else who has this surgery.

Comment from: Kycole, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had an emergency appendectomy laparoscopically 2.5 weeks ago and was to go home the next day due to the surgery being in the evening. Within a few hours after surgery my blood pressure dropped to 60/30. After blood work and a CT it was found I had a hematoma in the muscle at one of the incision sites (lower left of belly button). I have a hard bulge and pain from right above incision site all the way to front of hip bone (where leg meets body) am still very weak and feel drained.

Comment from: 65-74 Male Published: January 06

I am male, 65. I woke up at 2am feeling badly. I went to hospital at 7pm same day. I had a standard conventional surgery at 11pm with spinal sedation. I was better immediately.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: August 23

As a 54 year old woman...recovery from appendectomy has been remarkably easy. Saying that it has now been a week and my appetite is better but I am in a state of constant fatigue.

Comment from: Trevor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a 28 year old male. I experienced non-localized abdominal pain and went to ER 7 hours later where I was diagnosed with appendicitis via CT scan. I underwent laparoscopic appendectomy about 13 hours after I first noticed the pain. I felt very little pain after surgery and required no pain killers. I was sent home from the hospital the next day, although I felt well enough to leave within 6 hours after the surgery.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

My appendicitis could not be seen on CT scan or ultrasound. I was in SEVERE pain. When they finally did exploratory surgery my appendix was swollen and all bumpy looking. I felt better immediately waking up from surgery after they removed my appendix. Now I'm on the road to recovery; very tired still, but thankful not in a bunch of pain.

Comment from: JC, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I'm a 32 year old woman; I thought my ovary was rupturing because of the pain. Luckily it was my appendix. I had surgery and it couldn't be done laproscopically so it was a slower recovery. I was out of work 3 weeks and still moving slow at 6 wks. Too much walking or activity at a fast past gives me pain and feels like swelling. Overall, no issues but it was much more of a painful and slow recovery than I ever thought an appendectomy would cause.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter