Appendectomy is the removal by surgery of the appendix, the small worm-like appendage of the colon (the large bowel). An appendectomy is performed because of probable appendicitis, inflammation of the wall of the appendix generally associated with infection. Read more: Appendectomy Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Appendix Pain? Appendicitis, Surgery, and More
What causes appendicitis? Appendix pain can lead to appendicitis. Learn about appendicitis symptoms and signs. Explore the steps...
Appendicitis Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
How dangerous is appendicitis? Take this quiz to answer questions, get quick facts, and learn the causes of appendicitis as well...
Picture of Colon
The part of the large intestine that serves to remove water from digested food and let the remaining material, solid waste called...
Picture of Appendicitis
Inflammation of the appendix, the small worm-like projection from the first part of the colon. See a picture of Appendicitis and...
Picture of Appendix 2
The appendix is a closed-ended, narrow, worm-like tube up to several inches in length that attaches to the cecum (the first part...
Picture of Appendix 1
Front View of the Appendix. The appendix sits at the junction of the small intestine and large intestine. See a picture of the...
Picture of Abdomen
The abdomen (commonly called the belly) is the body space between the thorax (chest) and pelvis. See a picture of the Abdomen and...
Related Disease Conditions
Appendicitis (Symptoms, Treatments, and Surgery)
Appendicitis is an inflammation of the appendix. Appendicitis often causes sings and symptoms such as: Abdominal pain in...
Abdominal Pain (Causes, Remedies, Treatment)
Abdominal pain can have many causes that range from mild to severe. Some of these causes include bloating, gas,...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
The Digestion Process (Organs and Functions)
Digestion is the complex process of turning the food you eat into the energy you need to survive. The digestive process also...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Appendectomy - Recovery
How was the recovery process for your appendectomy?Post View 98 Comments
Appendectomy - Complications
Please describe your experience with complications of appendectomy.Post View 20 Comments
Appendectomy - Experience
Please share your experience with appendectomy.Post View 12 Comments
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Appendicitis FAQs
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Appendicitis Treatment with Antibiotics
- Caring for Stitches (Sutures)
- Hospital: 10 Tips: Packing for a Hospital Stay
- What Is a Hospitalist?
- Appendicitis: Is It Appendicitis or Something Else?
- Ask the Experts - Gastroenterology (GI Testing)
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Robots Stake Their Claim in the Operating Room
- The 7 Deadliest Emergency General Surgeries
- Mild Appendicitis Complication Rates Similar for Surgery, Antibiotics
- Antibiotics Often Enough for Kids' Appendicitis
- Antibiotics May Not Help After 'Complicated' Appendectomy
- Antibiotic Resistance Could Threaten Surgery, Chemo Patients
- Appendicitis Can Often Be Treated With Antibiotics
- Post-Op Pain Management Improves in Past Decade, Survey Shows
- Appendix Removal Isn't Riskier on Weekend, Study Says
- Health Tip: Recovering From Appendectomy
- Surgery Checklists Help OR Teams in a Crisis, Study Finds
- Low-Radiation CT Scans Effective at Spotting Appendicitis: Study
- Hospital Charges Show Huge Variance in Study
- Antibiotics for Appendicitis an Option for Some
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter