Patient Comments: Aortic Stenosis - Side effects

What side effects did you have with your aortic stenosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Pias mom (Finland), 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 04

My mother, born in 1940, did not have any symptoms of aortic stenosis. With a bad knee she was not running around, but she felt well. One evening she had a strange feeling in her chest, and my sister and I urged her to call an ambulance. Nothing was found at the hospital, so we took her home. Following night she felt a little bad again so we drove her to the hospital, and tests showed nothing. Just before leaving one young doctor who listened to her heart said he would put her through to a cardiologist, just in case. A few weeks later she got a date for surgery, due to severe aortic valve stenosis. And during surgery they discovered she had a bicuspid valve! What I mean to say here is that you might not have any symptoms at all, and if the doctors aren't looking for a bicuspid valve they might not see it. I always had a murmur in my heart, so now I feel I really need to get it checked.

Comment from: Peter, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

Your explaining of Aortic Stenosis is 100% on target! I am 52 years old and was rushed to St. Francis Hospital back in July and had the Aortic Valve replaced. This column just hit the nail on the head explaining what I was feeling. The main side effect for me was shortness of breath. I could not walk 40 feet or a flight of stairs! I would be out of breath and get chest pains that would go away fast, as I rested. I only remember almost fainting twice, both times while playing golf, thank God for the golf cart, as I held onto the cart for dear life. I was also diagnosed with heart block, and a pacemaker was installed in December. After seven and a half months I am finally feeling somewhat better. I occasionally get dizzy, when I bend over, and I am still getting tired as the day progressed. I am walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the stationary bike.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I am 20 years old and I am a rower at a University with aortic stenosis. I had open heart surgery when I was 7 weeks old to repair my bicuspid valve. Just a few weeks ago I had my first MRA done and the doctor notified me that the dilation of the root of my aorta is much greater than originally expected. He strongly suggests I do not continue to row. I have never really experienced a shortness of breath or chest pains out of the ordinary during strenuous activity. In 6 months I will have another MRA to see if rowing in fact does have an effect on my heart. My problem has never had an effect on my life and I am deeply hoping it does not begin now.

Comment from: Beth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis 3 years ago when I was 58. It was caused by a bicuspid aortic heart valve. For most of my life I had no symptoms at all. However, after I turned 50, I noticed that I was very tired at the end of the day and also became breathless walking up hills, having to stop several times to recover. (I put this down to being overweight and unfit. and thought it was all my own fault!) Fortunately my GP realized there was something seriously wrong. I had the valve replaced with an artificial one 3 years ago and am now able to walk up hills without any problems.

Comment from: Jerry, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

At age 53 I was diagnosed with a heart an aortic valve issue. I went for ECG every year to monitor and measure the valve, it started at 1.7 mm in 2004 by 2011 it decreased to .7mm. I was symptomatic, with shortness of breath and pain in left arm with exercise. I was referred to a cardiologist in December 2011. On 12/9/11 I had an angiogram (catheter) and open heart surgery and had a replacement valve bovine put in, had oversized valve put in 25mm. Have felt great since.

Comment from: christielee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I am 43 years old. I have been experiencing terrible headaches and a drop in energy. I have never had blood pressure issues, but this year my blood pressure at its highest: 178/120. I was put on medication, but it was not keeping my blood pressure down. I also noticed my heart was beating so hard and "fluttering." I went to a cardiologist and after a CT scan, echocardiogram, blood work, and a stress test, I was told I have AS. I have appointments to have my eyes checked and I need a MRI to make sure that I am not having TIAs. After these tests, I will be scheduled for a heart catheter. This was a lot to take in and I am nervous as to what the future holds.

Comment from: brooke, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I have had a heart murmur since I was a child. I've been diagnosed with severe aortic stenosis and my symptoms were dizzy spells and chest pain. This was discovered when my cardiologist ordered a stress test. Wish me luck and I hope others get the medical help they seek.

Comment from: Chris, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I'm 26 and have been experiencing chest pains and also some pains in my arms for the last four months or so. Researching my symptoms leads me to think I could be suffering from aortic stenosis. I've recently been to the doctor who listened to my heart and had an ECG and chest X-ray carried out. Apparently all these produced normal results but I feel the doctor is blowing me off somewhat (not taking the symptoms seriously enough). At the same time I don't want to tell him his job. I'm experiencing chest pain daily and am extremely concerned about it.

View the Heart Disease Slideshow
Comment from: writer01, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I have shortness of breath sometimes while walking at faster paces. I have to walk much slower than I used to. I have palpitations also. My medication metoprophol is helping some with the palpitations.

Comment from: peter, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am an 86 year old male. I play tennis 5 to 6 hours a week, walk 2 to 3 miles 4 times a week and work out at the gym for one hour twice a week. Recently while at the gym and starting a virus infection, I had a tachycardia episode and later light headed symptoms. This persisted for 2 days so I went to emergency hospital where ecg's confirmed a problem. Further investigation and echo cg diagnosed moderate Aortic stenosis. No immediate restriction but do not push too hard in the exercise.

Comment from: cegpilot, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I have severe asthma also which is limiting me to have an aortic valve replacement.

Comment from: tedianem, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

My father who is 82 was just diagnosed with Severe Aortic Valve Stenosis...dizzy and blacking out for short periods of time. He is concerned about open heart sugery due to his age. In the meantime I watch while he slowly weakens. I pray each day for him to get well but I am only fooling myself. He is stubborn but I love him.

Comment from: wezzie7343, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

My 69 year old husband had pain on his left side under his ribs that felt like electric zaps and would radiate to his back. A CT scan shows calcification of the Aorta. He had a colonoscopy and presented pain in the right low back right after scope, this could be bacteria in the bloodstream from the scope.

Comment from: mike q, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 23

I'm 26 years old and got severe aortic stenosis. I've always done sports and been active, but lately I'm having blackouts in one eye and lots of chest pain daily. I'm scared because I also have a huge murmur and to top it off I'm allergic to anesthetic and have no health insurance.

View the Heart Disease Slideshow