Patient Comments: Anxiety - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anxiety? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kaleen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 35 years. I tried just about everything. I take alprazolam, the only thing that works. It's generic for Xanax.

Comment from: jesse686, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 01

I've suffered from anxiety since I was a little boy at the age of 8 or so, but was too young to know why. My heart would race for no reason and I would get so scared for no reason. I went to my doctor at the age of 16 and was put on Xanax 3 times daily and I could actually go out in public and not be afraid to leave my house! Since 19 I switched to Klonopin 4 times daily and being currently 23 all I have to say is these medicines help hugely if you're severe as myself. Remember you are all not alone everyone! Anxiety runs in my family and yes, it's gotten in the way of my life and relationships. Stay calm and relaxed as possible!

Comment from: Jemeni, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

No treatment has been effective for my anxiety. I've been trying different medications for over a decade now and nothing works.

Comment from: Dpforlife, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I had my first panic attack when I was 16 years old. I am now 40, and I still have generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic attacks as well. I've tried everything, Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin, nothing really worked for me except what we call benzodiazepine! Xanax by far is the best, Ativan works good too. I have been taking 1 to 3 mg a day of Klonopin for the last 12 years. If I stop taking medication, I feel like I'm going through withdrawal, horrible! I guess my point is all benzodiazepines are highly addictive, but you just can't stop taking them!

Comment from: BKSG, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I have been suffering with general anxiety disorder (GAD) for almost 20 years now. The worst thing that I have found is "doing nothing at all." One of the things that has really helped me has been physical exercise, namely running. If I am able to put in about 20 miles per week, that significantly reduces my anxiety. A relatively low dose of Clonazepam at bedtime has dramatically increased my ability to sleep. Although I have read many books on anxiety, and gone through the "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" series, the relatively new therapy called ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) is a very effective general approach to relieving some of my avoidance tendencies and not letting anxiety interfere with general life. Finally, deepening a spiritual walk of life through meditation and prayer has helped heal some of my past stressors. My experience with anxiety has been that there are both biochemical and environmental aspects to this problem, but it can be managed with some mindful awareness. People who have known me for years say that I am much more "laid back" than I have been in the past. It is "work," but the payoff in living a joyous, effective life has been worth the energy.

Comment from: GlenJer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

Having anxiety is a pain but it can be controlled after a length of time discovering this. It was positive thinking and confidence in oneself. Motivation to put your thought in a better place. Leave the past in the past the think of the future.

Comment from: BillBill, Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I need a doctor to prescribe me Xanax or Klonopin or Valium for my anxiety. I am having trouble finding a doctor who will in my area.

Comment from: cjudy13, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

Ativan and psychotherapy have helped my anxiety. I also have bipolar one disorder.

Comment from: Pcofwork, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been diagnosed with PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) for almost 9 years, due to multiple childhood traumas. I've been on over a dozen anti-depressants; aside from an abundance of terrifying side-effects, nothing. It just seems to be getting worse. I can't work, constantly feel butterflies in my stomach, feel like I can't breathe, and I'm going to pass out. My heart races, my mood swings are crazy, and the simplest tasks overwhelm me. For the first time, I feel like I've found a medication that works for me - Ativan. However, I only get 21 a month, and my doctor is extremely reluctant to either raise the dosage, or allow me to take it, or another benzodiazepine to treat this. I only take them when I have a panic attack, or when I'm tired of the insomnia. I also take Effexor 75 mg, and 150 mg of Seroquel, among other things. I am so tired of living this way, what do we do! I have a prior history of addiction, was prescribed morphine for a decade, ended up self-medicating because of my anxiety. I've been clean for over 4 years, have never abused my benzodiazepine one time, but I'm nervous to push for it given my prior history.

Comment from: ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

Xanax helped get my life back after running from doctor to doctor. Now I have moved, I'm having problems getting my medicines. Doctors should know more about this anxiety disorder. I don't want to be house trapped again!

Comment from: Hanging On, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I have suffered generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) since I was 19; I am 50 now. It got to the point where I was nearly home bound. The panic attacks scared me the most until one day I gave in and let it flow. I even fed it by telling myself that this was it and that I was going to die. After a few minutes it subsided - and I didn't die. Now I recognize it for what it is and its power over me is not as profound as it was when I was younger. I still have GAD and will worry when I am in a traffic jam but at least I am functional. Now I am starting to deal with old age issues (yes, only 50 but I do qualify for American Association of Retired Persons). I'll be going back to the doctor and getting back on Lexapro. That drug definitely helped me before.

Comment from: alwaysonedge, 19-24 (Patient) Published: June 30

I have severe agoraphobia with panic attacks, social anxiety, PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) as far as anxiety diagnoses go. I have tried all the routes to get relief. Everything from Ativan, Xanax, Valium, SSRIs (serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor) and all the other anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-seizure pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizers, high blood pressure pills, hydroxyzine, Buspar, you name it. I have also tried eating healthy, exercising, yoga, therapy, DBT (dialectical behavior therapy), CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), natural solutions, and been hospitalized too many times. Even turned to drugs and alcohol at one point because that was all that would help. I just want to be able to leave my house, walk my dog, go to the store, say hi to my neighbors, and work. I can't do those things. Valium is the only thing that has ever helped me besides opiates and they took me off of it. I am very sensitive to medications and Valium is the only one with no side effects. Some anti-depressants have even landed me in the emergency room (ER) from a serious reaction. No longer a quality of life with this severe anxiety. I wish doctors could understand just how hard it is to survive this way, but I think you don't understand until you've had anxiety yourself. The medical profession needs to step up their game and start serving the patients' needs and helping them live the best life they can. Good luck to those with anxiety, the struggle is all too real. We need better doctors in this world.

Comment from: Annie Angst, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I have had anxiety all my life. I never could enjoy life as I saw my friends doing. It wasn't until I was in my 60s that I was diagnosed with anxiety. Lexapro helps but I take Ativan to help me sleep and on occasion to help me through social events. I need to go to church but the thought of going and meeting new people frightens me. I don't do a lot with friends because it wears me out emotionally. My husband is very understanding but I feel like I am stifling his life with my affliction.

Comment from: MoonFairy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have chronic depression and anxiety since I was around 10. I recently started going to a new psychiatrist who has helped by understanding.

Comment from: msm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I have battled dysthymia for most of my adult life, and recently started battling anxiety along with it. Until recently, I have tried to battle the conditions without medications. At age 40, I have given up. My anxiety got to the point where after I took a shower and got dressed for work, I would be sweating so badly that I would have to change my clothes again before leaving. I would be dry-heaving and choking the whole time. It was horrible. I recently was prescribed lorazepam, and it has been a wonderful thing. I feel as though I have gotten my life and memory back. I can finally function. However, my doctors will be pulling me off of it as they claim it should only be used for short-term use. I'll find out what will be the substitute next week.

Comment from: girlygirl30, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had anxiety since I was 17. I am now 30. I do pretty well at controlling it on my own, but at first, I thought I was dying. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin, and it works great. If I need medicine now for my anxiety, that's what I get.

Comment from: alichiarae, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I'm 20 years young and had my first anxiety attack a couple of years ago following graduation. For the longest time I did not know what it was. I thought I was dying and about to have a heart attack. I start trembling, getting chills all over and sometimes it feels as if I'm being choked and can't breathe. My doctor put me on Zoloft a year ago. I stopped taking it and the anxiety got worse. After my grandmother passed away and a lot that has happened this year in my life. I need to go back to the doctor!

Comment from: miara26, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I have had anxiety for years now and I'm only 26 go figure. The very first panic attack I actually realized was when I was at work. I almost past out. I went to the ER and they said I had anxiety. Apparently I've had it for quite sometime before someone realized that's what I had. I still have it bad. I just started taking Lorazepam and Klonopin a year ago and I try not to take it unless I really need it. I try to manage it myself which is really hard and took years of therapy to try and manage it without meds but still I end up having to take a pill at one point during the day. My anxiety is from being in the military. I thought I would have been fine but I guess not. It's hard having a lot of anxiety because I have to rearrange my life just to have a decent day. Before I used to be able to do anything and everything and not have any worry, but now I worry about everything. I can't even hardly drive cause I panic, let alone walk in a store by myself without feeling like I'm loosing my balance or going to pass out. I been to the doctor a million times swearing up and down something is wrong with me because I constantly lose my balance and feel like I'm going to faint, but its nothing but my anxiety.

Published: July 01

I alternated back and forth with Xanax, Ativan and Klonopin for more than 20 years and was able to function. These drugs gave me a life. I now have no health insurance and am pretty much a miserable hermit. I tried the SSRI drugs, and they only made me mentally sluggish and confused.

Comment from: manomuthu, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I am ok with alprazolam, lorazepam or diazepam.

Comment from: Ivan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I started to have a problem when I was 18/19. At the start, I did not know what it was, now I am 29. I tried to manage/suppress the problem for many years. I came across as a normal person, educated, ambitious and very goal driven. But throughout the years, I was always anxious about things, exams, interviews, dates, illness, I was always stressed about things that may or may not have happened. I thought it was normal, until this year, I had a few setbacks. I was anxious for a good two months to a level that I could not control myself, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't focus at work, I was very irritable and craved food with high calories; until a couple of weeks ago when I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression problem, and medicated on Lexapro!

Comment from: nanagoat, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

I have had anxiety attacks sense I was a kid didn't know what it was until I was about 21 years old. I feel as if i am having a heart attack. When that starts I feel as if I'm going to die which brings on the full blown attack. I have always been told that I wasn't going to die but that's hard to understand when you have this disorder.This is something that can be controlled through meds, exercise and medical help. However I don't think its something that will ever go away it just gets easier to control. I have found prayer to be the best medicine. I feel for the young people who are suffering from this disorder. I know they feel as if this will never end but take it from someone who has dealt with it for 40 years there will be good days and bad days but you start to have more good than bad. I see where some of you stop taking your medication that's the worse thing you can do. Stay on your medicine if that's what it takes we are know different than someone dealing with high blood pressure or any other illness. Always tell yourself this to shall pass.

Comment from: Babe48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I Have ptsd and hyperactivity and also major trauma i have a qq to ask im a drug addict who take suboxone! I notice that it s not enought to calm me down so i took clonipin it helps but im still feel anxiety breathing down some!! I can t sit still or relaxing i move lot !! One thing is bothering me is my mind can t stop running over and over !! What should i do??????

Comment from: Anxiety sucks, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I have tried every drug treatment available. So if have any advice – it is that Xanax works well for anxiety.

Comment from: somedaysoon, 35-44 Female Published: April 19

I have been dealing with panic attacks for almost a year now. My regular doctor had to retire due to medical issues. Now I am dealing with a nurse practitioner, and she is giving me the run around. I am now worse than what I was seven months ago. I'm having these attacks daily and always feel the “doom.” I got to therapy and have a wonderful support system at home, but without my meds I feel like a total freak.

Comment from: louiesangel24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have struggled with anxiety and depression for 18 years. Effective treatments for me have been Valium, Xanax, Lorazepam, and Lithium. Lithium works by itself but not combined with anti-anxiety medications.

Comment from: Frustrated in Texas, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had anxiety for about 10 years. I have the biggest problem with people not understanding my anxiety, even family. My second biggest issue is my job driving professionally. The medication I take for this disorder does not effect my job, but I can't pass the drug testing. I have taken every antidepressant there is, and they do not work for me. The only medication that works for me is Valium.

Comment from: AJ , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I am a man who cannot drink alcohol. I become violently sick if I drink. When I went to my psychiatrist for anxiety, he tried Depakote, which caused extreme heartburn with vomiting. We then tried Cymbalta to no avail. After that, because I am not able to drink and I do not abuse any substances, he was willing to do what I really wanted, which is the old-fashioned type of treatment, including Valium, Xanax and Restoril for insomnia. People have low opinions of these medications because they have a street reputation and can be abused. Some say they only work temporarily. This has not been true with me. I have been taking 1 mg of Xanax daily and 30 mg of Temazepam as needed for sleep for more than a year and they still work with no ill effects. If they are taken as directed, these are the best and most helpful medicines for anxiety, and the only ones that really cut the mustard, in my opinion.

Comment from: Andy K, 55-64 Male Published: September 09

After two years of medical problems where I was in the hospital more than I was out, I developed general anxiety disorder (GAD) and started to take “benies,” namely Klonopin. This eventually led to an addiction to benzo tranquilizers and the pain medicine (Percocet). After putting this problem to rest, I was introduced to Buspar. After one month, I was on my way to recovery. My GAD, which led to painful anxiety and panic attacks, is under control now and thanks to Buspar, I am clean, sober and really like myself and my life.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am 19 years old and have been dealing with anxiety since I was 9. My brother passed away when I was 9 and ever since then, I've been dealing with depression and anxiety. Nothing happened for a while and all of a sudden about a month ago, I started feeling really distant, as if my body wasn't connected or something. My head feels really strange, and it's hard for me to drive and function. I start to drive and the road seems funny, and it feels as if I'm not in control of my body parts. It's a struggle because I have a 1-and-a-half-year-old son that I have to be with every day. My doctor put me on Zoloft, but I didn't like it. Then she put me on Seroquel, but I can't take that either. I just keep praying that something is going to change, but I know I need medication to deal with everyday life.

Comment from: Ljrose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I'm 45 years old, and I started having panic attacks about a year ago after I started taking blood pressure medications. To make a long story short, after many visits to the doctor and different anxiety pills, I have found a wonder pill you won't believe: Zyrtec for allergies. I know it sounds crazy, but it works, and now you can buy it over the counter. It relaxes your nerves and makes you feel very calm. I just wish the doctors would research this. It works for me…

Comment from: Stressed John, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

I am 33 and have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. The toughest part is letting go of trivial problems. A small burp in my day and I can carry the issue for years. I was on Zoloft years ago but stopped taking it because I felt better. That was short-lived. I am now taking Cipralex to treat depression, but I think it is due to anxiety and constant worry, not depression. My anxiety goes in waves and usually causes big problems with my concentration and leads to big mistakes.

Comment from: Rosemary17, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I'm 17, and my anxiety started when I was 13 years old. It was when I lost my grandfather and my aunt later that year. I've had it for about four years, and I never said a word about it until I started yelling at my mom for no reason. I never did that. So I went to see a psychologist about it then stopped for a few months. Just recently, I went to my doctor and she prescribed Paroxetine, which is an antidepressant … something similar to Paxil. I don't know if this is going to work, but I hope it does.

Comment from: Danielle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

So far, I've only had one panic attack. I'm 19 and have been on Zoloft and Lexapro before. I had my first panic attack in Wal-Mart. I couldn't find my party and started sweating, crying and my vision was going black. Also, I got very light-headed and could hardly breathe.

Comment from: Worried One, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder in 2004 after my grandmother passed away. I went to the doctor several times thinking that I was having a heart attack. The doctor told me that my heart was fine. He said that it was anxiety and prescribed me Lexapro. It helped me tremendously, and after about the first year, I took myself off the medication. My father passed away in April, and I think the anxiety is back. For the past few days, my heart seems like it is racing up and then slowing down over and over.

Published: July 10

I come from a family, my dad was irresponsible and left mom on her own, we were left alone, all brothers and sisters when at some point, I was kid and hearing horror stories, like evil coming to eat boys. I was very OK, but in life always worried about small things, until I got married. Being away from my wife, caused me strange feelings, finally I opened this site and read about anxiety so now I understand I had anxiety for years, but didn't know about it. Anyhow, since few days, it feels like my heart beats SO FAST, and feel like there is a ball in my life (the heart and muscles) and it beats badly fast. It is a panic, and the only thing that helps me now is to take one tablet of 0.5mg of Alprazolam (Xanax) and it helps me calm down. I do my prayers, and as soon as I know the panic attack comes to me, I take a short walk around my room (office or home). I smoke too much, which I know is bad, and I wish there was one day to stop it, specially when there is panic attack and cigarette becomes a killer-friend and you just want to smoke, nothing else.

Published: June 16

I have anxiety and panic disorder, which I had for years. Except my anxiety disorder started causing me to have (rapid heart beat) which also feels like my heart skips a beat then beats fast. I had all tests performed on my heart and all of the tests were negative. The diagnosis was just plain anxiety; I am taking a medication which helps me a lot. I do breathing exercises sometime to help me too calm down. It might seem hard but I am learning to overcome my anxieties which I know I can not do over night - every thing takes time.

Published: June 13

Being placed on a medication called Clonazepam 0.5 mg and talking to close friends. Also attending church on a regular basis helps.

Published: May 30

I participated in a cognitive behavioral therapy group and learned "worry management strategies." This was a few years ago, and even though I will still get anxious, I feel that I at least have a tool for dealing with it.

Published: May 29

Exercise and having time to yourself to just focus on me was a great help to my anxiety. I even stopped taking medication for a long period of time.

Published: May 23

Lexipro has been an amazing help for me. I have lived with this problem since my childhood and since taking Lexipro about five years ago I now have almost eliminated my anxiety problem.

Comment from: georgia_534, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

Lexapro helped me with my GAD. I have had it since I was about 12. I started with Lexapro about a month ago and all my symptoms are gone. I can finally live without feeling sick all the time now.

Comment from: pAce, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

I had been taking 1 mg lorazepam for my anxiety for about 2 years, and became very dependent on it to sleep. I told my doctor that I didn't want to take lorazepam anymore, and she helped me with a schedule to reduce the medication. I have been off of drug for 2 months it had been tough, but it was worth it through diet and exercise.

Comment from: shineabove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I just found this site, and I have dealt with anxiety for a long time. It seemed to be worse after my mom died, maybe that is where it begun. I have tried some different types of medicines. I tried Tranxene for a short time, initially after I take it it does seem to calm me down, but then I felt agitated. I talked to my doctor -- now I am trying Lorazepam, I hope it helps with my anxiety.

Published: July 30

I'm 36 years old and had grown up in foster care due to abuse. I feel that I'm a smart guy. I just can't seem to hold down a job, or relationship and drink and smoke. I dabbled with drugs and have taken medication. They send me mad or make my sex life a living hell. I feel this problem is not taken seriously. The doctors are not too interested in me because I drink and smoke but the meds they give me don't give me any release. The drink and cigs do in a warped sense. I feel like someone or thing is constantly twisting me or pushing me. I try and rationalize my worries but this often leads me deeper into panic.

Published: July 16

I have been dealing with anxiety for years, and the best remedy for it is the use of Xanax or Klonopin. My only problem is doctors who don't want to leave me on the medications for very long periods of time.

Published: July 07

I take anxiety meds as prescribed by my doctor. Sometimes I hold off and try meditation, physical exercise. I find that music can take me away to a pleasant thought and can sometimes help. If I can concentrate, I read ... usually a magazine, but if I can concentrate on a book I love to read and get lost in the book. I am fortunate to have family and close friends that I can talk to and they give me support to overcome the anxiety before I run to the medicine cabinet.

Published: July 07

I have been on Lorazepam for four years, and it has helped me to cope with my daily life. However, if given a choice, I wish not to be on it. I do a lot of self reading on mind power, and positive affirmations and to some extent it helps. Anxiety is managed by several factors such as diet, family and friends support, meds, exercise, distractions and so on.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter