Patient Comments: Anxiety - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your anxiety? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Deborah Bowers, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I fell and hit my nose on my book shelf and I went to the emergency room. I managed to get four stitches on the bridge of my nose. Then they took a CAT Scan of my nose and told me that I didn't break my nose, but now when I go to rinse my mouth out I have water coming out of my nose. That doesn't sound normal. Also my nose is all stuffed up with blood where I can hardly breathe out of my nose.

Comment from: Viksfan28, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I walk a lot for exercise. I started to feel pain on the side of my foot but I figured it would go away. I continued to walk through the pain until the day I couldn't. I went to my general practitioner and was provided with an x-ray, and it was negative. The pain continued but eventually after a few months and a lot of physiotherapy it went away. About 4 months after the original pain I was walking with a cup of tea at work and I heard a loud pop in my foot. Since I couldn't put any weight on it I went to the hospital. The x-ray showed I had a fracture and a previous hairline fracture. I was put in an air cast for 6 weeks. Yesterday after my 6 weeks x-ray I was told to continue wearing the air cast for another 6 weeks while out of doors but I can wear regular shoes inside. I'm surprised by the pain I am experiencing without the cast on. I'm having a hard time getting used to walking without. By the way great article, very informative.

Comment from: jodolphin73, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I was just stung by a stingray this weekend (on the bottom of one of my toes). I was paddle boarding and fell off my board accidentally stepping on a stingray. Honestly, this was the most painful experience I've ever had to endure. I was paddling from Doheny Beach at Dana Point to Baby Beach in the harbor when I was stung. I was basically forced to paddle my way back to the harbor in excruciating pain (I don't know how I did this without passing out). It took about an hour or so to finally get to the shore. After an hour of paddling with this pain, the lifeguard could not help. He didn't have access to hot water. I then had to wait another 10 to 15 minutes to get to my partner's family's house. Their neighbor was so helpful! She took great care of me and I am so thankful to her. She had also been stung in the past and knew exactly what I was going through. My only advice if this ever happens to you is, get your foot in the hottest water possible at the fastest rate possible. The pain can be so bad that you can actually pass out from the pain. Because the venom was spreading, I couldn't touch my foot. I experienced leg cramps, fatigue, dizziness, shaking and nausea. Pretty awful experience.

Comment from: soi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 55 years old and still having heavy bleeding with clots, and fever on those days in the range of 99 to 102. I don't know whether it is normal with menopause. The bleeding is controlled with tranexamic acid 500 mg thrice a day.

Comment from: Anon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I was stung on the top of my left foot while walking through shallow water in South Carolina. It felt like someone banging a red hot nail into my foot and the pain went up and up for the next few hours. I usually deal with pain well, but this had me sweating and asking for cold water while I was being short/rude with family members that were just trying to help me. My father took me to the hospital where they put my foot in very hot water, which helped a ton. They x-rayed my foot and gave me a tetanus shot. It took months to heal. My foot will never be the same. It hurts sometimes and the scab still flakes to this day, a year later. I was with many of my young nieces and I am always thankful that I was stung instead of them. What a nightmare that could have been!

Comment from: Petunia, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I tripped on a rug and onto a tile floor headfirst. In order to not slam my face into the tile I put both hands and palms down to break the impact. My face was spared, but my arms are still killing me. X-rays showed no breaks, but I cannot straighten out my arms or lift them above my head. Trying to brush my hair and getting dressed is a really painful effort. I saw my primary care physician who sent me for x-rays only. I also went to an orthopedic doctor. It has been 5 weeks since I fell, I feel something is really wrong.

Comment from: Raquel, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I had a tetanus shot 3 weeks ago at an annual checkup. I felt fine until a few days later and my neck and my lower back so bad I couldn't stand it, so I went to the chiropractor thinking I slept wrong. The next few days all my joints were so sore I thought something was wrong with me. Maybe the flu! Then my knees started locking up and I would almost fall. The joints are still a little achy, but my knees are still locking up and popping all the time. I refuse to get another tetanus ever again. I have been so miserable.

Comment from: Stown, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

For 40 years I have suffered from generalized anxiety and panic attacks on and off. Symptoms were many and included muscle pain and tension, dizziness, feelings of unreality and heart palpitations. I have been hospitalized with severe symptoms.

Comment from: Dee, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I was walking at night and tripped and fell hard on the cement; that was two years ago and most of the injuries are ok. Just in the outside cord of muscle on my left leg above the knee (and slightly below the knee), the pain is debilitating and is making life miserable. I've been prescribed pain pills and lead a healthy life and my weight is fine. But the pain is with me most of the time. The doctors don't say much and I'm afraid they just don't want to tell me bad news.

Comment from: Hairdo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had usual sore muscles on Friday. I always get some and stiffness around weather changes. I woke up Saturday with a 2 inch diameter rash on my back. I thought I had poison ivy. At this time I have no pain and it only slightly itches so I have not scratched. By Tuesday I decided it could not be poison ivy because it would have itched worse. I had suspicions it was shingles. I still had no pain. I went to the doctor and they say it is shingles and prescribed anti-viral medicines. I can't figure out why I am not having pain.

Comment from: Daphne, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I had my first anxiety attack in late October of 2014 at the age of 71. It struck so sudden, I didn't have a clue. I started feeling anxious and scared, couldn't eat or sleep, watch TV, had to have all lights on at all times and even sent my husband out to buy lighter lampshades. I couldn't be in crowds like in malls, restaurants or even church; I would start breathing hard and getting scared. Finally after five days I went to my doctor and she gave me Zoloft which really helps; just a small dose.

Comment from: CP1976, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I get heart palpitations daily and adrenaline rushes because of my anxiety. I'm constantly in fear I will die in my sleep, or that I have a brain tumor or have heart disease despite my heart tests being normal. I startle easily, I cry easily, I have obsessive racing thoughts, and I get icepick headaches and muscle tensions and twitches. Sometimes I get weird sensations and zaps in my head where I'm convinced I will drop dead.

Comment from: sarah22, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had my very first panic attack scare on my birthday last year, ever since then I can't shake the anxiety throughout the days. I went to the hospital that day because I thought I was having a heart attack, I had weakness in my legs, dizzy, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. It's really hard to go through every day thinking that you are going to die. I get aches in my left arm sometimes, and that immediately triggers my anxiety. Sometimes, there won't even be a trigger, I just start to notice my breathing, and something inside of my head ticks, and bam, anxiety attack. I've avoided taking medicine for it, because I don't want to live a life depending on medicine. I've tried many breathing techniques, and yoga helps a lot as well. Although these changes have helped, every time I start to think I am okay, my anxiety starts again. I know there are so many people out there that live this life, and it helps ease my mind connecting with all of you.

Comment from: karishma t., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I am suffering from generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). I get palpitation and I feel dizzy and I have uneasiness to go out. I don't feel normal to go out. It's just not worth living. I feel hopeless.

Comment from: toucko, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

I worry about everything; I can't leave a dish in the sink. I am taking Xanax but it is no help. I started getting night terrors this year, sometimes so bad I will stay awake for 3 days at a time. I fear going to new places because I might get lost. I have found a new doctor I'm waiting to see. I need higher dose of benzodiazepine to calm me and let me sleep. I also take Adderall.

Comment from: Madam DRS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I am 28 years old. I have been on antidepressants for 7 years. I still have depressive episodes. I had my first big panic attack two years back just when I thought I was relaxed walking in a shopping mall after a nice movie. I got scared of nothing, I worried but with no real cause, fast heartbeat and sweating and my limbs were shaking terribly. I got annoyed easily, in the shop I got irritated having to stand in a queue. Anxiety attacks make me loathe everything and everyone, I don't want to talk. I can't work, can't think, can't eat, want to sleep but can't fall asleep. It's terrible to explain to other people. Then I break down and cry.

Comment from: smh78, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

This anxiety ruins my life. I always think I have a medical condition where I am dying. I get chest pain and shortness of breath and I"m always dizzy because I never can relax. I don"t even want to leave the house anymore because crowds upset me to the point of tears.

Comment from: Raw, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am suffering from anxiety and it is hard explain the symptoms. I feel like I'm so nervous and scared over nothing, my heart is beating fast and I hardly breathe, pain in my chest especially in my heart side, pain in my back, and loss of appetite. I feel sometimes pain in my tummy. The major issue here is I can't sleep easily. When I have it I struggle to sleep and sometimes I go to work without having any sleep, which makes it worse.

Comment from: David W, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

My symptoms of colon cancer were difficult bowel movement and itchy rectal area.

Comment from: lechasa g., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 23

Since 2 years gradually my left legs got thin but my right leg gets ever and this is causing leg pain.

Comment from: Victoria, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 17

I have a flare up of diverticulitis every two years. Not sure what causes it, I am never constipated. I usually get an infection when I eat lots of salads and nuts. I get an infection in a pocket. I hurt on my left side. I am now passing slimy light green stuff. I have not been to the doctor yet. I guess I need an antibiotic.

Comment from: Toscar1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have had all of these symptoms regarding anxiety, and I really don"t know how to approach my doctor about this. I have been to the emergency room a lot thinking that I was having a heart attack and was tested and they told me I was fine.

Comment from: chestpainchelsea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I have had anxiety since I realized I was alive. I somehow survived up to this point, 55 years, but I cannot enjoy being outside my apartment much before I'm literally frazzled to my core, dying to get back to my own "shelter." Yet I do not take prescription anxiolytics because they blunt my perceptions to the point where I can't truly feel sadness, and as trivial as that may seem to some, I find it terrifying. I have been hospitalized twice since going through menopause with panic attacks. They are so bad I just decided I will catch/check the process in time to never, ever, ever, let it whip me again. Yet even now I have a hideous tightness and pressure in my left side and chest. Yup, it could be a major heart attack and I don't give a damn, because I'd rather cope with these symptoms and drop dead than to be indifferent to ugliness, cruelty, and rudeness which should properly generate feelings of sadness, fear or despair for things beyond my control. Why numb and dumb down? I'd rather be taken out by heart failure.

Comment from: Lareina76, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I suffer from anxiety everyday at least twice a day. It feels like my life is ending and I can't breathe. My mind goes blank, my legs go out, my arm as well. This is so depressing. I can't go out in public, I get dizzy, no air. It's just horrible.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I am 40 years old and have had anxiety/panic since I was a teen. It got worse after I had my kids in my 20's. I started Zanex in my 30's as needed. That does help, it is a very temporary help. I maybe used 6 pills a year. Things got worse and last year I got on Lexapro. I was on it a year, felt great and so I went off of it. Big mistake! I was good for about 4 months then had attacks again. I am now back on it and having panic attacks while it is trying to get used to my body. The pharmacy says they anxiety/panic will go away 1-2 weeks after I started the pills or after I upped the dosage. I am upping my dosage to the whole pill tomorrow and hope to get this all over with so I can feel good again. I finally felt like I had a life when I was on these last year. I didn't panic and I even went places without spending the day in the bathroom. My usual symptoms are hot flashes, heart palpitations, fidgety, jittery, sometimes legs go numb. Sense of not being here and fearful, going plain crazy. One of my fears is taking medications, that is why it took me 40 years to take this. I had minimal side effects the first time. This time I am having the anxiety but I know after I get through this next week or two I will be fine.

Comment from: tizzles, 13-18 Male Published: April 04

The second time I ever smoked spice I started freaking out. I thought that I was going to die. I felt my heart racing and pounding throughout my body. And of course I lived but ever since then I have started to have random panic attacks due to my heart rate. If I feel like my heart rate is high I start freaking out. I don't know what to do to help because my brother has a huge drug problem and I don't want to take pills. I don't do drugs the spice was like a very occasional thing, since I only did it twice.

Comment from: miss.understood, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

For my cases, I feel excessive tension in my chest, restless hands and legs, and racing thoughts. It gets really bad in reflection. I think a part of it is because I over think the decisions I make which leads me to feel helpless and stressed. It really messes up my sleeping habits as well (including going to bed at 6 am and waking up at almost 4 in the evening).

Comment from: MA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

Few months ago I had anxiety attack. I had palpation, very unpleasant sensation in the body and felt like I had no strength in my legs and hands. My emotions changed. I cried without any reason. Doctor prescribed me effector, but that made me crazy so I discontinued that med and couple of months I did not take any things. I was fine. Again month ago I had again same episodes of anxiety attack. This time doctor prescribed me celexa. Again I had same side effects when I took effector .Then doctor prescribed me lorazepam 0.5 mg daily for month which is really giving me good effects. But I do not know how long I have to take that med to get better.

Comment from: rainbowbright, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

My first panic attack happened when I was 14 it was the worst one I've had. I'm now 27 and I usual only have one to two attacks a year but these past few months have been awful. I had 3 panic attacks in just one day. I usually don't have them unless I feel bad and I've been having these bad dizzy spells past 3 days which I think is causing them. I will have chills, shaking all over, my palms start to sweat, I get very pale, I feel like I'm not even in my body like everything isn't real. I went to the doctor and they gave me meds but I'm so afraid to even take it cause I'm afraid the meds with give me side effects. I hate living like this it's pure torture I feel I will never get better. I'll start seeing a therapist in a few weeks hoping it will make it all go away.

Comment from: JohnnyTx, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 24

I'm M 43 and have had Anxiety since I was a teen. I used to get it in school and would almost run out of class because I thought that I was going nuts. Racing heart, sweating, dizzy, and hard to breath, choking, feeling like I was going to go nuts. Since then I've learned to stay away from caffeine, sugar and any stimulants as much as possible. Cardio workout helps also, walking, biking. I've noticed that a small dose of Blood Pressure med, Lisinopril or similar wiped it out. I'm off the med and it slowly creeped back. I'm trying to keep busy and workout to keep in check.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have experienced light headedness, hot flashes, weakness, racing heart, shakiness, tingling in my limbs, my bottom lip pulsates- you can even see the pulse-, major headaches, tiredness, pure fear that I am losing my mind, fear that I have no control over my life, and I cannot tolerate any noise. The fear that you are losing sanity is the worst.

Comment from: Smith, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I find that I am generally more high-stress than many of my friends. I feel anxious frequently, but suffer no physical consequences.

Comment from: shaky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I was shaking more often, not being able to sleep through the night. I lost my step dad, biological dad and my grandma all within 4 months apart and I thought I could handle it but I guess not. I was just put on paxil yesterday and I'm going to see how this works.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: June 12

While I was employed by a state prison system, I had some anxiety during duty. This started about after 18 years of service. I was put on Paxil ER and was fine. I retired, and about 3 months before retiring I came off the drug and have not been on it since. I am now into my 3rd year of retirement and still no anxiety. I feel it was the job stress that contributed to the anxiety. I am not sure if this can be cured or not, but for me it has gone and glad. I came off the drug with my doctors permission and doing fine.

Comment from: OG, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and was given a CPAP machine to "treat" it. First night home with it I fell asleep right away, but woke up 30 minutes later ripping the mask off and having a terrifying feeling of impending doom. I was crying and couldn't get back to sleep for seven hours. Didn't realize what a panic was but I think this qualifies. A few days later the machine pressure was reduced and I used the device for three hours or so. I woke up feeling irritable, edgy, and whole body tingling. Three weeks or so later I realize I've got anxiety. I still have shortness of breath, reduced appetite, feelings of despair, tingling in my extremities and lightheadedness. I've seen my doctor to get help and have information on therapists.

Comment from: Ladybee70, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

Just started having them. Shortness of breath, heart palpitation, restlessness, and weakness in my legs. It all started with a chest cold. The mucus in my throat kept me thinking I would not be able to breath or swallow. I was also having hot flashes. This started 2 weeks ago.

Comment from: skylar, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. I feel lightheaded, dizzy, sick to my stomach. I feel like when I'm out people are staring at me and I don't know why. I'll be sitting in the subway and all of a sudden I will get this weird feeling. I look around to see at least 30 people on the subway car and immediately I get up and move to the other end of the car to get away from everyone because I feel trapped. I'm pushing family away. I hate being outside around people and sometimes I just want to cry just out of the blue for no reason.

Comment from: stlsam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

Tightness on the sides of my mid-section, then my heart rate goes sky high (100bpm), incredible fear, inability to think logically, can't focus mentally, mind races from one 'little worry' to the next until I'm totally overwhelmed by it. And none of it is rational.

Comment from: skittles, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I am 41 year old female who has within the last year experienced anxiety. The first episode I had was at a restaurant and out of the blue I felt like things were closing in on me and that something terrible was about to happen. I had to get my food to go and went home to only find out I was still freaking out that something was going to happen to me even at home. My recent thoughts are that no one loves me or cares about me. I also overthink everything from why am I here or what do I want, basically feel lost and alone. It gets very difficult not to take something just to numb yourself for a while, because you know the thoughts will be back and then I get all emotional and sensitive.

Comment from: Chels2012, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have had anxiety problems since I was 14, at which time I began medication. I was picked on in high school starting in 9th grade (which triggered it more). My anxiety feels like I'm out of my body. My hands feel numb and I feel like I'm going to faint or have a seizure. That is my fear, that I will faint in public or seizure in public. Even writing about this now makes me feel like fainting. I am constantly shaking my leg or something, and I always pick at my hands. But when I panic I just think I'm out of my body. I feel like nothing is real. If I don't touch things a certain amount of times, something bad will happen to me, like my mom will die, or my dog, or someone will get hurt. I am 24 now and am just wondering if this is going to last forever. I can't even walk in the back of a supermarket without freaking out that I'm going to faint my hands numbing . It's horrible. I'm on Prozac right now and I just wonder and wish I could just be normal.

Comment from: midlife crisis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

i am 50 years old and had my first panic attack 10 years ago while driving on a rural highway. because i have a heart murmur i thought it was a heart attack. i pulled into a driveway and the woman there happened to be an e.m.t. what a relief! after that i had a few more attacks.i was fine until my husband had a heart attack in 2009 he received 3 stents and takes 9-10 pills a day. 3 months later i was diagnosed with severe anxiety and was prescribed alprazolam. i was insulted. the bottle said "for depression". i was not depressed. i took half a pill "only as needed" maybe 1-2x week i then started to worry about my adult children and having a heart attack and that i would die, and not see my grandchildren. things i had no control of. dec 2011 my heart started to race night after night,i worried alot, had tense muscles, headaches, couldnt sleep, used the toilet frequently-still do),was tired all the time,startled by any noises,came close to blacking out while driving. then i was prescribed sertraline-it made me nauseous. i threw them away. so i suffered for 2 more months until i was prescribed paroxetene. today i no longer feel as if i am going to die. and i have been blessed with 2 beautiful granddaughters 2years old and a 4 month old.i couldnt be happier!

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

When I have anxiety I get a "skipping" sensation of a missed heart beat or, more accurately, like a hiccup from my diaphragm, dizziness, unsteadiness, racing/pounding heart, burping or need to burp, the need to move my arms or do something with my hands, shallow breathing, feel like I may lose my balance, difficulty swallowing, feel hot - especially in the face.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I 21 and I have really bad anxiety-most of the time it happens at night and I can't sleep. My heart beats really fast and my mind races. I feel like a failure as I think of my regrets and I get depressed. Asking people to pray for me has been a big help.

Comment from: junior, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I'm 23 years old and I started having anxiety when I was about 19. It made me physically ill to a point of deep depression and I had to take time off from my EMS job because leaving my house threw me into a panic no matter where I tried going. With time I learned how to control it without medication by just focusing on something else. My family was very helpful in this but now that I'm on my own and living in a different state, my anxiety has peaked again where I have tightness in my chest, trouble breathing, trembling, and I feel like I'm going to pass out or die. I need help with this .

Comment from: IrisElizabeth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I worry about minute things and can't help it. I worry about being around a lot of people, too much noise, kids going to school, having more than one thing to do in a day, making phone calls, if people will smell, if they will cough, blow their nose, or even sniffle all gross me out and cause anxiety. This causes me to not go out a lot. I prefer shopping at night where there will be less people. If we go to a restaurant, I can't look at others eating and if I get full, I am most afraid people will do the things that make me nauseous.

Comment from: LEA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have intense anxiety which turns into full blown panic attacks with in seconds. The symptoms consist of rapid heart rate, sweating,facial tension, nausea, sense of dying or passing out, a feeling that Im not alive, blurred vision, numbness of arms and legs, diahrrea, upset stomach, and dizziness. I am taking Vistaril which only relieves some of the symptoms. The benzodaizapines are addicting so therefore my doctor does not prescribe any. I am suffering enormously. I do visualization and meditation which helps at times. I also do deep breathing exercises when Im able to. Anxiety and panic is crippling at times.

Comment from: melonball, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

My father passed away in 1992, and I started having anxiety attacks after that. I was like everybody trying to find help. I've had this miserable feeling for 20 years now. I've used Xanax for temporary help. I use my own therapy now. I walk the dog every day two miles and lift 40 pounds of weight five days a week. I take over-the-counter CALM , which is a mixture of magnesium and calcium. It seems to really help me cope.

Comment from: Robert, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I was studying in class with both girls and boys. I was so afraid of talking to girls of high natural beauty. I was in that class three years. My brain seems so damaged that I could not turn my head and look around. I felt like there is a spike at the back of my head and I always have teary eyes which bothers me a lot. As a result I have too much head twitching now that I cannot talk to anybody face-to-face. I always have to lean on something to prevent my head twitching and talk. Does anyone else has this symptom?

Comment from: peace be still, 25-34 Female Published: June 20

I am 31 years old, and the first time I had an anxiety attack was around 23 years old. I was stressed because my parents had died and I didn't how to handle it. When I got the tightening of chest I felt as though I was gasping for air. It lasted about 5 minutes and when I got the second one I was pregnant and I was 26 and it was as though I couldn't breathe. My chest locked so tight I started to cry because I thought I was dying. My husband was telling me to relax, but of course that didn't help and made it worse. But after I calmed myself and went to the doctor and was diagnosed with anxiety.

Comment from: Keith01, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I wake up every morning. With anxiety and worry. What's going to happen 90 % of the time. I pray more than anyone or just as much. The anxiety gets so bad I don't want to live sometimes.

Comment from: sad-sack, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

I am 32 year old women with two small children, I am socially isolated because I stay home with them a lot and we live in country. Most my friends are very busy and don't have time for meeting up anymore. But my anxiety with my life is helped when I am not alone. I view that me at home with my kids is pretty much me alone cause they are so young. I try to keep busy with moderate exercise, going outside or cleaning house but I am always grateful for night time, but now I have trouble sleeping. I have had full on panic attacks after physical traumas like surgery in the past when I thought I was dying and couldn't breathe. I have decided I am a bit depressed and that could be what is resulting in anxiety and negative attitude.

Comment from: carcar, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

My anxiety has ruined my life. I am no longer able to go out due to the fact I have a panic attack every time I do. My symptoms of a panic attack include a sense of dread and fear, and feeling out of control. I get a dry mouth, choking feeling, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, chest pains, dizziness, and trembling. It's so awful I don't know what to do anymore!

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I'm 20, I've felt symptoms of anxiety since I was about 12. My forearms, and legs feel numb, I have skipped heart beats, when this happens I feel like I cant breath and I get lightheaded. I'm on 20mg Prozac once a day. It makes me in a better mood most of the time, I almost always feel tired. For me, my anxiety is worse for me at night. I think the reason I have anxiety is because of always worrying about my heart skipping beats, and having palpitations. It scares me really bad when it happens.

Comment from: David V, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I'm 18 years old. I've had anxiety since my ex-girlfriend cheated on me. I have now moved on and have been in a new relationship for almost 5 months now. I have trouble sleeping. I have a weird feeling like I'm floating and I'm not going to wake up the next morning. Also when I'm driving I start to panic and have to drink something or just move my hands or legs. It's been very hard for me and I need help.

Comment from: :), 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 12 years old and I get anxiety pretty bad. During an attack I feel as if my vision is blurring or I am not exactly there. It's weird and I have trouble doing daily activities like going to school. It's really frustrating because I want to get back to normal.

Comment from: joey, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

When I have anxiety attacks I can usually cope with it and get through it but sometimes. I'll have really severe attacks and have symptoms that I've never heard before like for instance when I have severe attacks ill start to feel a floating sensation and then a tingling feeling all over my body then I start to panic and feel disoriented and my vision blurs. I feel like I'm stuck in my body I feel hopeless and then it really hits me. I'll taste cigarettes ashes on my tongue itching on my hands and my muscles start tensing up mostly in my neck stomach are and legs my legs get so weak I feel like I can't stand anymore and when I'm coming down from my attack I start to shake and feel like I'm passing out like I have no energy I get a headache and after the attacks goes away I can't think straight or focus. It takes a lot out of me. I've had this problem for over a year and I feel it's getting worse.

Comment from: hopeless, Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have struggled with anxiety for 40+ years. I was sexually molested as a child and repressed the event so I never knew what caused my panic attacks. I'm a nurse but have had a hard time holding down a job because when the panic hits I am terrified and just stay in bed and pray. The only thing that helps is Xanax. It has saved me so many times. I have tried 11 different antidepressants with NO success. This life has been a nightmare. I look forward to the day I get to leave this world and be in heaven.

Comment from: Autumnxxxxx, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm 17 and been experiencing anxiety since summer 2010. I usually have chills, hot flashes dizziness, shortness of breath, shaky, nausea, tiredness, trouble falling asleep. I went too therapy it helped, but, I thought I was fine without it and I'm not. I'm a mess lately/been really depressed.

Comment from: Melava, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have been suffering for years. I feel a sudden rush of heat starting in my stomach then moves up to my face, feels like I'm on fire, my sight goes all black and I feel like I can't breathe. It last from a minute to hours. Some worse than others. I lay in bed almost every night thinking about everything from dying to a loved one dying, or work , money ect. I can't fall asleep for hours sometimes not at all. It's horrible going through this.

Comment from: hello, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: September 15

Hi I am 13 years old and I am scared of ghost and criminals and then I get really scared when I hear stuff when I'm alone and it feels like I can't breathe then I start to get cramps really bad. Cramps wear I start to cry and then I get diarrhea and then the cramps stop. I don't know if this is a part of anxiety but I want to find out what it is I really want to find out what it is.

Comment from: Happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

Because of anxiety I have trouble sleeping, fatigue, short of breath, dizziness, neck and shoulder pain.

Comment from: mother of four, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I've suffered from anxiety since my first one at 18 years old, I'm now 45. I've tried treatment many times and the one that worked extremely well was effexor xr. I was on it for two years and just recently, by doctors help came off of same. I have to say, the anxiety is defiantly back, I just hope not bad enough to go back on meds. And why do I feel so bad about meds? I'll take it for anything else my health issues require, but once you talk about mental health, I beat myself up! I wish there was a lot more public awareness and acceptance of mental health!

Comment from: selmapark, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I dread going to bed at night due to heart palpitations which keep me awake for hours before I finally fall asleep.

Comment from: franky, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

Anxiety made life so difficult, I ended up on disability. Short and sweet to the point after many trials, to no avail with other meds, the tried and true has been Lorazepam and Lithium. And lithium has its own anti-suicide chemical in it, that helps the most.

Comment from: Had enough, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I have described my anxiety to people as though a little person is inside of me and is trying to get out by pounding on my chest. I feel a constant rush of pressure as I need to go, go, go. It feels like a whirlwind around me. I feel as if I just want to scream.

Comment from: fallan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I had a bacterial infection (septicemia) from an infected tooth being removed and ended up in hospital for 10 days having IV antibiotics pumped into me. The onset of this infection was worse at night at my home before I went to hospital and now I have anxiety every evening and I can't seem to shake it off. I think I might need some medical help as it really is affecting my life.

Comment from: hailie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

My anxiety symptoms are; I feel like my chest is full of smoke, I can't breathe normally, I can't look at the person I am talking with because of eye movement, my hands tremble, my heart trembles, my voice trembles, I have scary heart palpitations, I can't sleep.

Comment from: kie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I worry constantly about work, money, health, etc. I have trouble staying asleep and I am exhausted. I can't stop thinking about the things that worry me.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter