Type 2 diabetes oral medications are prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes in conjuction with lifestyle changes like diet and exercise. There are nine classes of drugs approved for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Examples of type 2 oral diabetes medications include acarbose (Precose), chlorpropamide (Diabinese), glipizide (Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL), and metformin (Glucophage). Side effects, drug interactions, warnings and precautions, dosage, and breastfeeding and pregnancy safety information should be reviewed prior to taking any medication. Read more: Type 2 Diabetes Medications (Side Effects, Differences) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis, Treatment, Medication
Learn about type 2 diabetes warning signs, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment options. Read how diet and exercise can help manage...
Diabetes Diet: Healthy Meal Plans for Diabetes-Friendly Eating
Discover the best and worst meals for diabetes-savvy dining. See how to avoid carbs and control your blood sugar with healthier...
How Diabetes Can Affect Your Feet
Learn more about diabetes related foot problems. For people with diabetes, too much glucose in the blood can cause serious foot...
Type 2 Diabetes: Test Your Medical IQ
What causes type 2 diabetes? Can it be prevented? Take this online quiz and challenge your knowledge of this common condition....
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Improve Diabetes Nerve Pain
Read about diabetic peripheral neuropathy and exercises to manage nerve pain. Learn how to cope with the symptoms of diabetic...
Blood Sugar Swings: Tips for Managing Diabetes & Glucose Levels
Learn to better control your glucose levels by preventing blood sugar swings. Beware of caffeine, sugary foods, spices, exercise,...
Pictures of Famous People With Diabetes
See pictures of celebrities that have been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes including Mary Tyler Moore, Salma Hayek, and...
Diabetes Management Tips and Preventing Complications
Learn 10 simple ways to better manage your diabetes. See tips for controlling blood sugar, diet and exercise and other helpful...
Pictures of 10 Muscle-Building Exercises for Diabetes
Watch this slideshow on Diabetes and Exercise. If you have diabetes, see how strengthening your muscles with these 10 weight...
Related Disease Conditions
Diabetes Symptoms in Men
Diabetes mellitus is a disease in which a person's blood sugar (blood glucose) is either too high (hyperglycemia) or too low...
Diabetes Diet for Type 2 Diabetes, List of Foods
A type 2 diabetes diet or a type 2 diabetic diet is important for blood sugar (glucose) control in people with diabetes to...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Gestational diabetes is a condition that is first recognized during pregnancy and is characterized by high blood sugar....
Diabetes Treatment (Type 1 and Type 2 Medications and Diet)
The major goal in treating diabetes is controlling elevated blood sugar without causing abnormally low levels of blood sugar....
Prediabetes is a situation where a person's blood sugar levels are higher than they should be, but aren't high enough to be...
High Blood Sugar (Glucose, Hyperglycemia)
Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar is a serious health problem for diabetics. There are two types of hyperglycemia, 1) fasting,...
Normal Blood Sugar Levels (Ranges) In Adults with Diabetes
People with diabetes can manage and prevent low or high blood sugar levels (hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia) by keeping a log of...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a condition in which a person's pancreas does not produce enough insulin to meet the needs of the body....
Type 1 vs Type 2 Diabetes (Similarities and Differences)
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic condition in which a person's blood sugar (glucose) levels are too high. Over 29.1 million...
Diabetes Symptoms in Women
Diabetes symptoms in women include vaginal itching, pain, or discharge, loss if interest or pain after having sex, polycystic...
Atrial Flutter (Symptoms, Causes, ECG, and Treatments)
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Diabetes and Foot Problems (Treatment)
Diabetes related foot problems can affect your health with two problems: diabetic neuropathy, where diabetes affects the nerves,...
Atrial Flutter vs. Atrial Fibrillation (What Are the Differences?)
Atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation (AFib) are two types of a heart problem called atrial tachycardia. Both of these...
Diabetes and Eye Problems
Diabetes and eye problems are generally caused by high blood sugar levels over an extended period of time. Types of eye problems...
Preventing Diabetes Naturally (Type 2, Diet, Causes, Symptoms)
Prediabetes is a condition in which a person has early symptoms of diabetes, but have not yet fully developed the condition. If...
Sex, Urinary, and Bladder Problems of Diabetes
Having diabetes can mean early onset and increased severity of bladder symptoms (urinary incontinence and urinary tract...
A diabetic diet, or diabetes diet helps keep blood glucose levels in the target range for patients. Exercise and medication may...
Diabetes and Kidney Disease
In the United States diabetes is the most common cause of kidney failure. High blood pressure and high levels of blood glucose...
DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) During Pregnancy
Deep vein thrombosis or DVT is a condition in which a blood clot becomes embedded in one of the deep veins of the arms, thighs,...
Snoring is caused by the vibrations of the soft tissues at the back of the nose and throat while a person sleeps. There are many...
Tips for Managing Type 1 and 2 Diabetes at Home
Managing your diabetes is a full time commitment. The goal of diabetic therapy is to control blood glucose levels and prevent the...
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Taking care of a disease such as diabetes is a life-long process. Learn how to care for yourself or loved one with diabetes in...
Local ResourcesFind a local Doctor in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, Fortamet, Riomet)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- SGLT2 Inhibitors (Sodium-Glucose Co-Transporter 2)
- Actos (pioglitazone)
- Metformin vs. Januvia
- Amaryl (glimepiride)
- Metformin (Glucophage) vs. Glipizide (Glucotrol)
- Metformin vs. Janumet
- Precose (acarbose)
- Trulicity (dulaglutide)
- Jardiance (empagliflozin)
- Glucovance (glyburide/metformin)
- Saxenda (liraglutide injection)
- Victoza (liraglutide)
- Tradjenta (linagliptin)
- Qsymia (phentermine and topiramate extended-release )
- glipizide and metformin (Metaglip has been discontinued in the US)
- Adlyxin (lixisenatide)
- Avandamet (rosiglitazone/metformin)
- tolazamide (Tolinase brand has been discontinued.)
Prevention & Wellness
- Common Diabetes Drug May Also Shield Kidneys, Heart
- High Insulin Costs Come Under Fire on Capitol Hill
- Eli Lilly to Sell Cheaper Version of Insulin Drug
- High-Tech Capsule Could One Day Replace Insulin Injections
- Psoriasis Meds Might Help Fight Heart Trouble, Too
- White House Plan to Disclose Drug Prices May Not Drive Down Costs: Study
- Experimental Drug Could Be New Option for Type 2 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes Before 40 Tied to Mental Illness Hospitalizations
- Common Heart, Diabetes Meds May Help Ease Mental Illness
- Study Eases Concern That Common Diabetes Med Might Harm Bones
- Do Your Gut Bacteria Affect Your Diabetes Meds?
- Some Diabetes Drugs Linked to Higher Heart Risks
- Does Diabetes Damage Brain Health?
- High Cost Has Over 1 in 4 Diabetics Cutting Back on Insulin
- High Deductibles May Mean Poorer Diabetes Care
- Diabetes Drug Might Also Ease Heart Failure Risks
- Could Diabetes Drugs Help Curb Alzheimer's?
- Diabetes Can Make Weight-Loss Harder. Here's Help
- Diabetes Drug Might Help Shield the Heart From Smog's Ill Effects
- Storing Insulin in Home Fridges May Lower Effectiveness
- Can Intermittent Fasting Help Reverse Type 2 Diabetes?
- Type 2 Diabetes Tied to Raised Risk of Tumors, Cancer Deaths
- Common Diabetes Meds May Raise Odds for Amputation
- Access to Diabetes Drugs Improved Under Affordable Care Act: Study
- Adding or Switching Diabetes Drugs Can Put Patients at Risk: Study
- Human Insulin as Good as Costly Synthetic Versions
- Will the Future Be Needle-Free for Diabetics?
- Aggressive Treatment Doesn't Slow Type 2 Diabetes in Children: Study
- Can Type 2 Diabetes Lead to Irregular Periods for Teen Girls?
- Primary Care Doctors Loosen Type 2 Diabetes Goals
- Ozempic Approved for Type 2 Diabetes
- Could Big Lifestyle Changes Be Key to Managing Type 2 Diabetes?
- Got Unused Meds? Here's What to Do