Patient Comments: Ankylosing Spondylitis - Treatments

What was the treatment for your ankylosing spondylitis?

Comment from: Gert, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

It is difficult for me to imagine that psoriasis appears at my age (66)! Currently I am using betamethasone ointment and it has helped. It has curbed most of the breakout and I will know more when I go back to the doctor in December.

Comment from: Taylor, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was prescribed biologics for ankylosing spondylitis. They had awful side effects and did not help with the pain level at all.

Comment from: shoeb, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

My 5 month old baby suffers with seizures. He gets seizure for 15 minutes every 5th and 6th day. He is on medication like Eptoin, Gardenal, ibuprofen, and paracetamol. When he gets a seizure he flexes his limbs and has blinking or rolling eyes, and changes his facial expressions. In ultrasound scan finding doctor says his third ventricle is more prominent than normal. All his blood tests are normal.

Comment from: mfink1982, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I cannot find any relief for my ankylosing spondylitis. I have chronic pain all the time, and it is affecting my life drastically. The pain is unbearable. I lash out at the ones I love and have even considered hurting myself. The last doctor I saw told me he thought I was a drug seeker. I told him if he felt what I was feeling he'd be looking for something to help him out as well. He asked me to leave his office. That's our system, USD 300 month to get no help and your character assassinated.

Comment from: CatCo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

Diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis in 2007 I was told, 'for you there is no happy ending.' Relegated to a pain management specialist for palliative care, I was given narcotic pain relievers, prednisone, an anti-spasm drug, and frequent epidurals. Not willing to file for disability and take to a wheel chair as suggested, I began my own treatment plan. I changed my diet radically, began to exercise as able (this quickly improved), and weaned myself off all prescription medications. I lost over 64 pounds, and became very mobile. I keep the weight off. I control pain with OTC NSAIDS. I am now 61 and a hiker. I strength train at a gym, do water aerobics, and walk miles daily. For me, it was either suicide or change. I chose change.

Comment from: hopingforthebest, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) about 3 months ago and am currently working with my rheumatologist to find the best treatment. When I was a senior in high school I experienced excruciating pain in my back that would last about a week, about 2 times a year. This past year (senior in college) the pain came back but a little duller. One day I hurt my foot and then the pain never went away. It lasted about a month until I went to a podiatrist who did blood tests and found I was HLA-B27 plus. I have been on sulfasalazine, Celebrex and prednisone. The pain and swelling in my foot is now minimal but now I am experiencing pain in my hip and lower back. I'm meeting my rheumatologist in 3 weeks, hoping for the best.

Comment from: Svyogini, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

The only thing that has helped me with ankylosing spondylitis is following the guidelines of both the Paleo diet and FODMAP diet. It works like magic. I go off of it and get leveled with pain.

Ankylosing Spondylitis - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Experience Question: Please describe your experience with ankylosing spondylitis.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Severity and Progression Question: Do you or a relative have ankylosing spondylitis? Please share its progression, along with treatments.
Ankylosing Spondylitis - Diagnosis Question: What tests led to a diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis?