Patient Comments: Ankle Pain And Tendinitis - Symptoms

How long did the symptoms of your ankle pain and tendinitis last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: lighthouse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

My tendon problems all began after taking ciprofloxacin (Cipro). After only 2 doses I had to go to the emergency room (ER). Now I"m having pain, popping and swelling in my joints. The worst of it is in my right ankle. Through research, I discovered that angstrom magnesium can help reverse the side effects of this drug. I have only been taking the magnesium for a few days but it seems to be helping. The swelling is less and I am able to walk better. I hope this can help others.

Comment from: GMetheny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been in severe ankle pain for 3 days. There are no apparent injury signs or pain until I put weight on my foot. At the moment it feels like a severe sprain. It is below the ankle bone on the small toe side. There is no swelling or warmth to the touch. I have kept it elevated and I am taking 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours.

Comment from: Ninakh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am fine all day long. My work demands a lot of sitting down and a bit of walking. For the past week, I started having pain in both ankles just in the evening. I sleep the pain off and in the morning I am perfectly fine and pain free.

Comment from: Orb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I suffered an ankle injury resulting from a fall through the attic floor in 2009. The injury only involved soft tissue. I had about 6 months of physical therapy and did exercises at home to restore movement and flexibility. Although I can walk or run quite well, I constantly have pain and swelling when trying to stretch. I cannot wear high heels anymore and definitely have pain and swelling if I am in low heels for any extended period of time. I have had an MRI and x-rays that determine no real cause for my pain.

Comment from: Suzie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I have had a lot of pain and very stiff ankles for 2.5 years. I have had 2 prednisone treatments and a cortisone shot. The MRI on my left foot showed a little bit of bursitis. X-rays show no broken bones or spurs. The pain and tenderness and stiffness are on the inside ankle bone area. I have also tried cold ice baths and heat along with on the market pain relievers and nothing seems to work. I have also used a boot and am on crutches presently.

Comment from: sally, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 19

After having too many x-rays on partially fractured ankle with no apron protection, I am taking all the bone and joint medicines I can plus tons of vitamins. I reject any more x-rays of any kind.

Comment from: Deb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I do not have any ankle pain until I put on heels. Then the outside of my right ankle has an extremely intense pain that goes up my leg and loses all strength.

Comment from: Brittany123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I was having a good day of school as a 12th grader. When it was almost time to go I got up and I wobbled a lot. When I was getting balanced, my right ankle bone cracked hard and I suddenly had massive pain for no reason. I didn't get up wrong or anything. My foot is now light weight. It's mostly my right foot. I have had injuries in the past with this foot, but this was so random and I didn't know this was going to happen.

Comment from: GeneL., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 30

If a person gets Achilles tendinitis I suggest that they check to see if they have been prescribed the antibiotic Cipro recently. My surgeon, my son, and I have all experienced ankle tendonitis after such prescription. It could be something else, but none of us had done anything out of the ordinary before experiencing the pain. Good luck!

Comment from: jemora, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was told that I had tendinitis by the hospital doctor. It got to the point that I could not walk on my foot, it was so painful. I was given two injections in my ankle but it just got worse. My own general physician decided to give me an x-ray as the hospital doctor did not. It was discovered that I had broken my fibula and tibia, it was a stress fracture and I was walking on it for 10 weeks. I have had two operations, metal work and 14 pins and 2 years on I am still walking with a limp and a stick.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have been in severe ankle pain for 3 days. There are no apparent injury signs. At the moment it feels like a severe sprain. It is above the ankle bone on the small toe side. There is no swelling or warmth to the touch. I have ice-wrapped it, kept it elevated and I am taking 800 mg ibuprofen every 6 hours. I also have applied ice pack several times.

Comment from: Lor, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I suffered from tendonitis in my ankle for about six months. I tried orthotics, therapy, and any other suggestions that were given to me. Finally, the orthopedic doctor gave me a big black boot. It felt wonderful. He told me to wear it all the time for three weeks. After I stopped wearing it, my pain was gone.

Comment from: extremstorm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I broke a piece of bone off my ankle seven and a half years ago. I have had complications from that because it was not removed for more than a year. I suffered subsequent nerve and soft tissue damage. I have had 11 procedures including the one to remove the broken bone. I have trouble walking, standing and cannot get up on my tip toes any more. I have been suffering in pain for a long time and still cannot manage it. I've tried non-medicinal ways through hydrotherapy, TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator), and different creams. I've also been on and off narcotics for years. Nothing seems to work.

Comment from: Cristabell, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had pain in my ankle since October when I thought I sprained it by stepping down out of my car. I have been under an Orthopedics care since that time and I am still in pain. I had 3 months of physical therapy which seems to help a little, but after it was over the pain got worse. I asked my Doctor for an MRI in June which showed I had tendinitis, a small cyst and some cartilage defects. All he said was to keep wearing an ankle brace until October and then we will see what can be done. In the meantime I am in lots of pain when I walk and I limp. I am ready to get another opinion.

Published: July 28

I have always had flat feet and worn lace up shoes with inner supports most of my life. Seven years ago I developed a condition called planta fasciitis. I was told to take pain killers or anti inflammatories which I refused. Eventually, I had instep supports built up, which over three/four years eased the pain. Finally, I tried acupuncture which seemed to work. Later when trying to walk without the inner supports my feet were painful between the small toe and the ankle. Now my ankles are swollen if I walk for half an hour and I am in almost constant pain. In fact I am hobbling which distresses me as I am a very active person. I refused to take pain killers and have asked my Doctor to allow me to get acupuncture from the NHS. That was two months ago. I am still waiting.

Comment from: Bernadette, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

I am having severe night ankle pain, just on the left flat part of my foot. It wakes me up, and the pain is very bad, but by morning it is gone and no after effects. This has happened a few times.

Comment from: Gwen williams, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I went for a knee replacement and received ankle pain when I started walking on it, something must have happened during surgery causing tendonitis so my GP thinks. I have been given naproxen and tubegrip to wear on my knee and leg, the pain is unbearable 24 hrs a day

Comment from: susanmanning, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I have had heel pain for several months. First, I got a steroid shot in the arch of my foot. It didn't help. Then I was told I have plantar fasciitis. I got orthopedic shoe inserts and my right foot was better. Finally, an MRI revealed I had a very large bone spur at the tip of my tendon in my heel. I just underwent surgery 2 ½ weeks ago. I was glad the tendon was in good shape so I didn't have to have a cadaver tendon grafted. The mussel in my calf is losing mass, but I hope when it's all over I will be pain free. I haven't been able to walk for 6-12 weeks.

Comment from: Jenna, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I run track in middle school and recently hurt my ankle. At first, I thought I simply sprained it, so I got an ankle brace and decided to brave through it. Lately, my ankle has been hurting a lot, so I decided to see my personal trainer. He did a few tests and diagnosed me with tendonitis. He gave me a couple exercises to help, but they are very painful. When I finish, my ankle hurts worse than it did when I started. I'd like to know about additional stretches that are just as effective and a little less painful?

Comment from: Jade, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 25

I've been having heel pain for about seven months now. This started a day after a session of intense cardio boot camp. Swelling in my ankle, and pain in my heel are the only symptoms. They occur while I am active or at rest, but I notice it most often when I am just sitting or lying down. I have seen four doctors and have had no tests run. The doctors can't figure out my symptoms (as it's not plantar fasciitis), but they have yet to use any diagnostic tools. I just keep getting prescribed NSAIDs. I've done physio and massage therapy. I finally just started going back to the gym, and it seems to help when I run and do weight-bearing exercise regularly. The symptoms don't completely disappear, but they're much less noticeable. However, I still get occasional swelling around my ankle at completely random times.

Comment from: Ali B., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

Over the last six months I noticed a weakness or irritation of my left ankle that is chunkier that my right ankle, which is unaffected. Yesterday, I saw my doctor who recommended a Voltaren cream and a heel insert. My condition has not improved, but it feels much better with the cream and heel insert.

Comment from: Shobhit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

Once I slipped from a motorcycle and the vehicle pressed my right ankle upon falling. I had bearable pain for three to four days and did not care. After three to four months, the pain suddenly developed and lasted for 10 days. Still, no medical aid was taken. Now, almost two years later, I still have lots of pain. I get pain more in the evening and while standing.

Comment from: mistaylady88, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

An injury at work last October of 2007 that was diagnosed as a left ankle sprain now has me like a cripple. After physical therapy, the pain continued, although I needed to get back to my job in nursing. This injury has resulted in my being out of work since April of 2008 and in a cast for eight weeks. I continue to be in pain almost every day. No inflammatory medications have been prescribed to me for pain, but I started physical therapy again. The physical therapy person seems to be more concerned than my doctor, and I should not be in this much pain after all this time. I am about to approach a second opinion from another doctor.

Comment from: mhc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I have had pain in my ankle on and off for over 17 years after breaking my ankle in two places for the second time. Since then, I have horrible jabbing pain at times when I step on it. If the pain lasted very long, I couldn't stand. Cortisone shots help, but they are being needed too close together. I am overweight, which doesn't help. I use OTC ibuprofen and Tylenol. Occasionally, I'll take half of a Demerol.

Comment from: Kaisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I've now had plantar fascia for more than six years. It started with a surgery I had to remove a cyst that was attached to my Achilles tendon. I went through months of painful physical therapy and had some relief. I am a very active person in the evenings (i.e. softball, hardcore cardio, strength training, conditioning, etc.). Every morning the pain in my ankle wakes me up but after several hours of excruciating pain, the symptoms subside after stretching my foot and leg. I recommend lots of ice, anti-inflammatories and ankle wraps.

Comment from: Shelleyam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I'm 48 years old. I woke up one day in May, and my ankle hurt. My first thought was that I had a sprain that never healed. I went to the doctor and the MRI showed nothing. Now they say it's tendonitis. I am very active and can't stand this limping. Motrin doesn't help. Neither does bracing it.

Published: July 15

My ankle has been hurting for two months now, and the pain won't go away. I have been icing it constantly and taking Naproxen.

Published: June 19

About a month ago, I started to develop mild pain at the back side of my ankle. To my knowledge, I had not had any fall, nor had I sprained my ankle. Yet it's been more than a month now and the pain is still there. At times, it's moderate and I can't wear shoes, only sneakers. I finally went to the ER, and I was told that the tendon located at the backside of my right ankle was inflamed. It was wrapped up with a bandage and a shoe was given to me to wear whenever I'm walking. I was prescribed an NSAID for pain and inflammation. My advice to anyone out there who experiences ankle pain is to go to the doctor right away. It turns out this "injury" can become very serious if not taken care of by a doctor. When we think of how vital walking and standing is to daily living, one can't afford to wait and wait until the pain gets to be severe.

Published: June 13

I soaked my foot in hot water with Epsom salt. It eased the pain.

Published: June 13

Started out from riding my bicycle at 5 am daily, all a sudden I feel pain in both my left and right inner ankle bones, I've had this for a month with no end in sight. It affects my ankles, inner tendon of each ankle; both legs tendons both sides of shin bone shooting pains, sore heels.

Comment from: rosierud, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I've felt like I was recovering from a sprained ankle since Sept. 1st, but knew that I hadn't sprained it! I could not rotate my foot or flex it forward or backward and it was very painful to wear shoes and certainly nothing with a raised heel. Walking was painful and going up and down stairs was also. Walking outside on stones or on uneven ground was very unsettling. In desperation the other evening, I tried rubbing on "Soothenol" which I had purchased quite some time ago. To my surprise, the pain was mostly gone the next morning and I'm almost near normal after two days. I'm not kidding, it really worked!

Comment from: Zora, (Patient) Published: October 06

In only my left ankle the joint feels loose. It pops with motion. Pain level ranges from 3-8 on a scale of 1-10, NSAIDS help some. Sometimes it feels as if it will break. The pain is worse on flexion. An X-ray of ankle does not show any problems. Pain ia always present to some degree. Pain has been present now for 3 months no acute injury. I am still able to tolerate with NSaids at this point.

Comment from: bugonia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have almost constant pain in my right ankle, which has been ongoing for nearly 3 years now. I have seen an orthopedist who ran tests and determined I have bone cysts. I take regular pain medication (2 different types now). I was tested for RA, but it was determined that was negative. No one can seem to give me any answers or solutions. I was told these don't usually cause pain, but mine sure do. Wish I had better news for anyone out there suffering from something similar.

Comment from: lindsay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I am 47 years old and have been active my whole life. I was 3 miles into a run when the outside of my right foot and ankle started to hurt. I stopped running and limped home, barely able to put weight on my foot. It is three weeks later and there is swelling around the outside ankle bone and pain in different places around my foot, leg and ankle. I ice it as much as I can, but wrapping it causes severe pain.

Published: August 05

It has been one week of pain varying between moderate and severe. Regular - every 3 hours of extra strength Tylenol - kept the pain manageable and the swelling down.

Published: July 08

My ankle pain occurs suddenly on the right leg, the right side of the angle area. It causes me to limp when I put pressure on the foot, and it causes sharp pain that comes and goes.

Comment from: JP, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I've had pain in my feet and ankle for quite awhile now. At first it only happened when I first wake up in the morning. I could barely walk without pain when I first get out of the bed. However as the morning went on the pain subsided. Now, the pain is there constantly. I also developed a bump on my Achilles tendon. I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis while I was in the military. All they gave me were some inserts to relieve the pressure when I walk. Whenever I walk the pain is constant now. This has also causes me to gain weight because I can no longer exercise like I use to.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter