Ankle pain is commonly due to a sprain or tendinitis. The severity of ankle sprains ranges from mild (which can resolve within 24 hours) to severe (which can require surgical repair). Tendinitis of the ankle can be caused by trauma or inflammation. Read more: Ankle Pain Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Picture of Foot Anatomy Detail
The end of the leg on which a person normally stands and walks. See a picture of Foot Anatomy Detail and learn more about the...
Picture of Foot
The end of the leg on which a person normally stands and walks. See a picture of Foot Anatomy and learn more about the health...
Burning or Swollen Feet? What Foot Pain Says About Your Health
Foot pain and heel pain can be serious health problems. Discover information about cold feet, itchy feet, burning feet and...
Common Causes of Foot Pain
Learn about common causes of foot pain such as bunions, corns, athlete's foot, plantar warts and more. Get the latest information...
Worst Shoes for Your Foot Health and Beauty With Pictures
Stilettos, platforms or flip-flops...which are the worst shoes for your feet? See how some of the hottest styles can be torture...
Pain-Relief Tips for Bumps, Bruises, Sprains, and Strains in Pictures
View this First Aid slideshow on Care and Pain Relief. See how to get pain relief if you've bumped your head, sprained your...
Foot Health: Causes of Swollen Feet and Ankles
Swollen feet and ankles may be associated with conditions like pregnancy, injury, heart failure, kidney disease, liver disease,...
Sports Injuries: Types, Treatments, and Prevention
Learn about common sports injuries types, treatments, and prevention. Can you heal a pulled muscle in the back, neck, lower back...
What Does It Mean When Your Whole Body Aches?
Body aches and pains can be disruptive and frustrating. Learn many chronic pain causes, including lupus, arthritis, fibromyalgia,...
Related Disease Conditions
Broken Toe Symptoms, Signs, Treatment, and Healing Time
A broken toe is one of the most common fractures among individuals. There are many causes of a broken toe, whether it is the big...
Foot pain may be caused by injuries (sprains, strains, bruises, and fractures), diseases (diabetes, Hansen disease, and gout),...
A broken foot is a common injury. There are 26 bones in the foot, and these bones can be broken (fractured) in a variety of...
Acute injuries, medical conditions, and chronic use conditions are causes of knee pain. Symptoms and signs that accompany knee...
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes chronic inflammation of the joints, the tissue around the joints,...
Heel spurs -- pointed, bony outgrowths of the heel -- are caused by localized soft-tissue inflammation and can be located at the...
Bone spurs are pointy outgrowths of bone that develop in areas of inflammation or injury. They commonly occur on the heel and...
Arthritis is inflammation of one or more joints. When joints are inflamed they can develop stiffness, warmth, swelling, redness...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Swollen Ankles and Swollen Feet
Swollen ankles and swollen feet is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition such as edema, medications, pregnancy,...
Ankylosing spondylitis is a type of arthritis that causes chronic inflammation of the spine. The tendency to develop ankylosing...
Achilles Tendon Rupture
The Achilles tendon is the body's largest and strongest tendon. Repeated stress is the usual cause of a ruptured Achilles tendon....
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition in which irritation of the wrist's median nerve causes tingling and numbness of the thumb,...
Broken Bone (Types of Bone Fractures)
A broken bone is a fracture. There are different types of fractures, such as: compressed, open, stress, greenstick,...
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, and an injury to muscle or tendon is called a strain. Sprains and strains may be...
Psoriatic arthritis is a disease that causes skin and joint inflammation. Symptoms include painful, stiff, and swollen joints,...
Reactive arthritis is a chronic, systemic rheumatic disease characterized by three conditions, including conjunctivitis, joint...
Dislocated Ankle (Ankle Dislocation)
Symptoms and signs of a dislocated ankle include pain, swelling, bruising, ankle deformity, and possible numbness and tingling in...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Ulcers
Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are prescribed medications for the treatment of inflammatory conditions. Examples of...
Rotator Cuff Disease
Rotator cuff disease is damage to any of the four tendons that stabilize the shoulder joint. Shoulder pain and tenderness are...
Flatfoot (Pes Planus)
Flatfoot is a disorder in which the foot's entire sole is touching the ground while standing. Symptoms and signs of flatfoot...
Sever condition is an inflammation of the growth plate of the bone at the back of the heel where the Achilles tendon attaches....
Local ResourcesFind a local Orthopedic Surgeon in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Leg Pain
- Arm Pain
- Joint Pain
- Ankle Pain
- Swollen Ankles and/or Swollen Feet
- Groin Pain
- Foot Pain
- Elbow Pain
- Knee Pain
- Joint Stiffness
- Swollen Joints
- Unsteady Gait
- Joint Redness
- Joint Warmth
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
Medications & Supplements
- Tramadol: for Pain (Ultram, Ultram ER, Conzip)
- Nonsteroidal Antiinflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Ibuprofen (Advil) vs. Naproxen (Aleve): Comparison of Differences
- naproxen (Aleve, Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn)
- Oxycodone vs. Tramadol for Pain
- Ibuprofen vs. Meloxicam (Mobic) for Pain
- acetaminophen (Tylenol, Tylenol Arthritis Pain, Tylenol Ext, Little Fevers Children's Fever/Pain)
- ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, and others)
- indomethacin, Indocin, Indocin-SR (Discontinued Brand in U.S.)
- celecoxib (Celebrex)
- codeine (for Pain)
- Acetaminophen vs. Ibuprofen for Pain (Differences in Side Effects and Dosage)
- Narcotic Pain Medications (Opioids, Analgesics, Narcotics)
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- Oxycodone for Pain (OxyContin, Roxicodone, Oxecta, Oxaydo, Xtampza ER, Roxybond)
- cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril, Amrix, Fexmid)
- Oxycodone vs. Hydrocodone
- Oxycodone vs. Codeine
- Aleve (naproxen) vs. Celebrex (celecoxib)
- Tramadol (Ultram) Side Effects
- fenoprofen, Nalfon
- Aspirin vs. NSAIDs (Side Effect and Use Differences)
- hydromorphone (Dilaudid, Dilaudid-5, Dilaudid-HP Injection, Exalgo) for Pain
- Oxycodone vs. Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen) for Pain
- etodolac, Lodine (Discontinued)
- Percocet vs. Lortab for Pain
- carisoprodol (Soma)
- hydrocodone (Zohydro ER)
- ketoprofen (Discontinued brands: Nexcede, Orudis, Oruvail, Actron)
- sulindac, Clinoril
- diflunisal, Dolobid
- OTC Pain Relievers and Fever Reducers
- salsalate, Amigesic, Salflex, Argesic-SA, Marthritic, Salsitab, Artha-G
- choline magnesium salicylate, Trilisate
Prevention & Wellness
- Sprained Ankle? Opioid Rx More Likely in Some States Than Others
- Health Tip: Tendinitis 101
- Health Tip: At Risk of a Sprained Ankle?
- Better Way to Treat Seniors' Ankle Fractures?
- Health Tip: Recognizing Achilles Tendinitis
- Ruling Out Unneeded Ankle X-Rays for Kids
- Symptoms of Ankle Fracture
- Levaquin Approved to Treat or Prevent Plague
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Foot and Ankle Injuries
- Experts Offer Advice After Yankee Pitcher's Trampoline Injury
- Brief Meditation Training Brings Pain Relief
Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter