Angina is chest pain due to inadequate blood supply to the heart. Angina symptoms may include chest tightness, burning, squeezing, and aching. Coronary artery disease is the main cause of angina but there are other causes. Angina is diagnosed by taking the patient's medical history and performing tests such as an electrocardiogram (EKG), blood test, stress test, echocardiogram, cardiac CT scan, and heart catheterization. Treatment of angina usually includes lifestyle modification, medication, and sometimes, surgery. The risk of angina can be reduced by following a heart healthy lifestyle. Read more: Angina (Symptoms, Causes, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Stress Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
Stress creeps into everyone's life at one time or another, while some people will suffer from poorly managed chronic stress. If...
Smoking Quiz: How to Quit Smoking
You know it's time you quit smoking. Learn the myths and facts about quitting smoking with the Smoking Quiz. When it comes to...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Causes
Take this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and...
Atrial Fibrillation (A-Fib) Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Learn the causes, symptoms, and treatments of the common heart abnormality known as atrial fibrillation (A-fib)....
Metabolic Syndrome Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Metabolic syndrome is serious and you should be concerned. Learn the causes, symptoms, treatments, and complications of metabolic...
Heart Disease Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take our Heart Disease Quiz to get answers and facts about high cholesterol, atherosclerosis prevention, and the causes,...
Heart Failure Quiz
What is heart failure? Learn about this dangerous condition, as well as who is at risk, and what to do about it....
Picture of Blood Pressure
The blood pressure is the pressure of the blood within the arteries. See a picture of Blood Pressure and learn more about the...
Picture of Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)
Low blood pressure (hypotension) is pressure so low it causes symptoms or signs due to the low flow of blood through the arteries...
Picture of Heart Detail
The heart is composed of specialized cardiac muscle, and it is four-chambered, with a right atrium and ventricle, and an...
Picture of Aorta
The aorta is the largest artery in the body. See a picture of the Aorta and learn more about the health topic....
Picture of Heart
The muscle that pumps blood received from veins into arteries throughout the body. See a picture of the Heart and learn more...
Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes
What is heart disease (coronary artery disease)? Learn about the causes of heart disease. Symptoms of heart disease include chest...
Lower Your Cholesterol, Save Your Heart
Need to lower your cholesterol levels? Use these smart diet tips to quickly and easily lower your blood cholesterol levels....
How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips
Trying to lower high blood pressure (hypertension)? Discover exercises good for lowering blood pressure, along with other...
How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
One of the best ways to improve your health is to quit smoking. These practical tips to help you quit smoking have been shown to...
Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment
What is hyperthyroidism? Hyperthyroidism occurs when an overactive thyroid gland produces an excessive amount of thyroid...
Heart-Healthy Diet: 25 Foods to Protect Your Cardiovascular System
See 25 foods loaded with heart-healthy nutrients that help protect your cardiovascular system. Plus, find easy meal/recipes and...
How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
Learn how to avoid weight gain while quitting smoking. Explore what causes weight gain after quitting smoking. See lifestyle...
Heart Disease: Causes of a Heart Attack
Learn about heart disease and heart attack symptoms and signs of a heart attack in men and women. Read about heart disease...
The Benefits of Omega 3 Foods on Heart Health
What are the benefits of omega 3 fatty acids? Learn how Omega 3 rich foods like fish oil, salmon, walnuts, & more can boost brain...
Am I Having a Heart Attack? Symptoms of Heart Disease
Heart attacks symptoms vary greatly for men and women, from anxiety and fatigue to nausea and sweating. Learn the warning signs...
Atrial Fibrillation: Heart Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Afib Treatment
Atrial fibrillation is the most common type of abnormal heart rhythm. Atrial fibrillation or AF can lead to serious heart...
Cholesterol Levels: What the Numbers Mean
Do you know the different cholesterol levels and what they mean? Learn the alphabet soup of cholesterol testing: LDL, HDL, good,...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension): Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
What causes high blood pressure (hypertension)? Know the warning signs and symptoms of high blood pressure. Read about high blood...
Heart Health Pictures: How to Lower Triglycerides
Learn 14 ways to lower triglycerides. Learn to keep your heart healthy and triglyceride levels in check with these diet,...
Food Swaps for Meals and Snacks for Heart Health in Pictures
Explore 10 food swaps for heart-wise dining. Learn what food to buy and how to cook in order to make a big difference for your...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib): Tips for Living with Atrial Fibrillation
What is atrial fibrillation? Learn how to making living with atrial fibrillation (AFib) easier. Explore tips that can help you...
Stress Pictures Slideshow: 10 Ways to Stop Stress
Feeling stressed? Watch this pictures slideshow for 10 ways to stop stress now. Focusing on breathing, journaling, and even...
Anemia Symptoms and Signs, Types, Treatment and Causes
Anemia is a disease marked by low numbers of red blood cells. Low iron or underlying disease, like cancer, may be to blame....
Related Disease Conditions
Aortic Valve Stenosis (Symptoms, Causes, Surgery)
Aortic valve stenosis is an abnormal narrowing of the aortic valve of the heart. The causes of aortic stenosis are wear and tear...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Cholesterol (Lowering Your Cholesterol)
High cholesterol and triglyceride levels increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Getting your cholesterol and triglyceride...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
A heart attack happens when a blood clot completely obstructs a coronary artery supplying blood to the heart muscle. A heart...
Hyperthyroidism (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medication, Diet)
Hyperthyroidism is an excess of thyroid hormone due to an overactive thyroid gland. Symptoms can include increased heart rate,...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
A toothache is a pain on or around a tooth. It may be caused by a variety of things from a cavity, abscess, or even sinusitis....
12 Congestive Heart Failure Symptoms, Stages, Causes, and Life Expectancy
Congestive heart failure (CHF) refers to a condition in which the heart loses the ability to function properly. Heart disease,...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Heart Attack Prevention
Heart disease and heart attacks can be prevented by leading a healthy lifestyle with diet, exercise, and stress management....
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychiatric condition, can develop after any catastrophic life event. Symptoms include...
Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT, Blood Clot in the Legs)
Deep vein thrombosis (DVT) is a blood clot in the deep veins, and can be caused by broken bones, trauma to a limb, immobility,...
12 Heart Attack Symptoms and Early Warning Signs
Recognizing heart attack symptoms and signs can help save your life or that of someone you love. Some heart attack symptoms,...
Heart Attack Pathology: Photo Essay
A heart attack is a layperson's term for a sudden blockage of a coronary artery. This photo essay includes graphics, pictures,...
Job Stress and Your Health
Early warning signs of job stress include headache, sleep disturbance, difficulty in concentrating, short temper, upset stomach,...
Heart failure (congestive) is caused by many conditions including coronary artery disease, heart attack, cardiomyopathy, and...
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) affects many people today. Many people with HCM have no symptoms or only minor symptoms, and...
Stress and Heart Disease
The connection between stress and heart disease is not clear. Stress itself may be a risk factor, or high levels of stress may...
How the Heart Works
The heart is a very important organ in the body. It is responsible for continuously pumping oxygen and nutrient-rich blood...
Fitness: Exercise for a Healthy Heart
Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of heart disease. To achieve maximum benefits, do a mix of stretching exercise, aerobic...
Vitamins & Exercise: Heart Attack Prevention Series
Vitamins and exercise can lower your risk for heart attack and heart disease. Folic acid, vitamins, and homocysteine levels are...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Heart Attack Treatment
A heart attack involves damage or death of part of the heart muscle due to a blood clot. The aim of heart attack treatment is to...
Chest pain is a common complaint by a patient in the ER. Causes of chest pain include broken or bruised ribs, pleurisy,...
Heart disease (coronary artery disease) occurs when plaque builds up in the coronary arteries, the vessels that supply blood to...
High Cholesterol: Frequently Asked Questions
Cholesterol occurs naturally in the body. High blood cholesterol levels increase a person's risk of developing heart disease,...
Dizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness...
Blood clots can occur in the venous and arterial vascular system. Blood clots can form in the heart, legs, arteries, veins,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Heart Attacks in Women
Heart disease, particularly coronary artery disease is the leading cause of heart attacks. Women are more likely to die from a...
Smoking and Heart Disease
Smoking increases the risk of heart disease in women and men. Nicotine in cigarettes decrease oxygen to the heart, increases...
Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease in women has somewhat different symptoms, risk factors, and treatment compared to heart disease in men. Many women...
Heart Disease Treatment in Women
Heart disease treatment in women should take into account female-specific guidelines that were developed by the American Heart...
Heart Attack Prevention Overview
Heart attacks are the major causes of unexpected, sudden death among men and women. A heart attack also is a significant cause...
Atrial Fibrillation Symptoms (AFib Warning Signs)
Atrial fibrillation or AFib is a type of hear rhythm abnormality. Early warning signs and symptoms of atrial fibrillation...
Atrial Flutter (Symptoms, Causes, ECG, and Treatments)
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Atrial Flutter vs. Atrial Fibrillation (What Are the Differences?)
Atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation (AFib) are two types of a heart problem called atrial tachycardia. Both of these...
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib Symptoms, ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Heart Attack vs. Stroke Symptoms, Differences, and Similarities
Heart attack usually is caused by a clot that stops blood flow supplying oxygen to an area of heart muscle, which results in...
Heart Attack vs. Heartburn (Differences between Symptoms and Signs)
Heartburn is a symptom of another disease or medical problem and can be described as a feeling of burning in the chest...
Local ResourcesFind a local Cardiologist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Angioplasty and Stents
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft
- CT Scan (Computerized Tomography)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Scan)
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)
- Coronary Angiogram
- Coronary Heart Disease Screening Tests (CAD)
- Exercise Stress Test
- Echocardiogram (Echocardiography, Diagnostic Cardiac Ultrasound)
- Cardiac Catheterization
- Transmyocardial Laser Revascularization (TMR)
- CT Coronary Angiogram
- Chest Pain
- Chronic Cough
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Shoulder Pain
- Indigestion (Dyspepsia, Upset Stomach)
- Fatigue, Tiredness, and Lethargy
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- Jaw Pain
- Arm Pain
- Sore Tongue
- Tightness in Chest
- Smoking FAQs
- High Blood Pressure FAQs
- Heart Disease FAQs
- Stress FAQs
- Atrial Fibrillation A-Fib FAQs
- Metabolic Syndrome FAQs
- Heart Failure FAQs
- Abdominal Pain Causes
- Angina: Don't Take It Lightly
- Viagra: The Little Blue Pill That Could
- Chest Pain: Heart, Esophagus, or ?
- Statins - - Doing More Than Lowering Your Cholesterol?
- Viagra - Impotence Treatment Update
- Viagra and Nitrates Don't Mix
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor - General
- Mr. Cheney's Chest Pain - And Heart Attack
- Stents: The New Coated Stents - What's The Story?
- Heart Disease - Lessons Learned From Pitcher's Early Death
- Beta Blockers: Why Take a Beta Blocker?
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Angina Diagnosis
- Angina Symptoms
Medications & Supplements
- isosorbide mononitrate - oral, ISMO, Monoket
- nicardipine capsule - oral, Cardene
- atenolol - oral, Tenormin
- nitroglycerin spray - lingual, Nitrolingual
- diltiazem extended-release tablet - oral, Cardizem LA
- metoprolol - oral, Lopressor
- nitroglycerin patch - transdermal, Nitro-Dur, Transderm-Nitro
- metoprolol extended-release - oral, Toprol XL
- propranolol s.r. - oral, Inderal LA
- amlodipine - oral, Norvasc
- nitroglycerin ointment - transdermal, Nitro-Bid
- propranolol - oral, Inderal
- diltiazem extended-release tablet in capsule - oral, Dilacor XR
- aspirin - oral, Easprin, Ecotrin
- nifedipine - oral, Procardia
- nitroglycerin - sublingual, Nitrostat
- diltiazem tablet - oral, Cardizem
- verapamil - oral, Calan, Isoptin
- isosorbide mononitrate sustained-release - oral, Imdur
- diltiazem sustained-action - oral, Tiazac
- diltiazem 24-hour sustained-action capsule - oral, Cardizem CD
- nifedipine sustained-release - oral, Procardia XL
- isosorbide dinitrate - sublingual, Isordil, Sorbitrate
- diltiazem 12-hour sustained-action capsule - oral, Cardizem SR
- NITROGLYCERIN-INJECTION, Nitro-Bid, Tridil
- METOPROLOL EXTENDED RELEASE-ORAL
- BETA BLOCKERS-ORAL
- aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid, Bayer, Ecotrin, and others)
- timolol (Blocadren and Timolide 10-25 have been discontinued)
- nicardipine, Cardene, Cardene SR
- diltiazem (Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Tiazac, Cartia XT, Diltzac, Dilt-CD, and several oth)
- nadolol (Corgard)
- propranolol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Innopran XL
- isosorbide dinitrate (Isordil Titradose, Dilatrate-SR, Isochron)
- Lipitor (atorvastatin)
- metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL)
- lovastatin, Mevacor, Altoprev
- amlodipine, Norvasc
- nitroglycerin, Nitro-Bid, Nitro-Dur, Nitrostat, Transderm-Nitro, Minitran, Deponit, Nitrol
- nifedipine, Adalat (discontinued brand), Procardia, Afeditab, Nifediac
- Sectral (acebutolol)
- atenolol, Tenormin
- verapamil (Calan, Verelan, Verelan PM [Discontinued: Isoptin, Isoptin SR, Covera-HS])
- isosorbide mononitrate, Imdur, Ismo, Monoket
- bisoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide, Ziac
- bisoprolol, Zebeta
- nisoldipine, Sular
- Beta Blockers (Drug Class, List of Brand and Generic Names)
- felodipine (Plendil)
- bepridil (Vascor, Bepadin - Discontinued)
- carvedilol (Coreg)
- alteplase (TPA, Activase, Cathflo Activase)
- ACE Inhibitors (Side Effects, List of Names, Uses, and Dosage)
- Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers (ARBs)
- Calcium Channel Blockers (CCBs)
- Aspirin Therapy (Guidelines for Heart Attack and Stroke Prevention)
- dalteparin (Injection; Fragmin)
- amlodipine/atorvastatin - oral, Caduet
- nitrates-oral chewable, Sorbitrate
- isradipine - oral, Dynacirc
- Nitrates (Medication)
- nimodipine - oral, Nymalize
- omega-3-acid ethyl esters
- atorvastatin (Lipitor) vs. simvastatin (Zocor)
- Beta Blocker Side Effects (Adverse Effects)
- Coumadin vs. Plavix (Differences and Similarities)
- Ibuprofen and Plavix (Side Effects and Interactions)
- Cardene IV
- Tenormin IV Injection
- Cardizem LA
- Cardizem CD
- Verelan PM
- Dilacor XR
- Inderal LA
- Toprol XL
- Transderm Nitro
Prevention & Wellness
- Optimism Might Help You Handle Angina
- Drug May Fight Heart Disease in Whole New Way
- Health Tip: Understanding Angina
- New Cholesterol Drugs May Beat Statins, But Price Tag Is High
- Depression May Hasten Death in Years After Heart Diagnosis
- 'Stress Ball' in Your Brain May Be Key to Heart Risks
- Debbie Reynold's Death Puts Spotlight on 'Broken Heart Syndrome'
- For Heart Attack Survivors, a Risk of Suicide?
- Fans May Not Be Cool Choice for the Elderly
- Heart Attack Before 50 Ups Early Death Risk
- Drug-Coated Stents Don't Improve Patient Survival, Large Study Reports
- Stress May Take Greatest Toll on Younger Women's Hearts: Study
- Just a Little of Statins' Effect Enough to Help Heart: Study
- Arm Artery Access Safer for Angioplasty, Review Finds
- Diabetes Takes a Toll on Women's Hearts
- Herpes Virus Tied to Angina Risk, Study Suggests
- Some Older Heart Patients Might Benefit From Aggressive Treatments
- CT Scans Might Spot Heart Risks More Clearly in Patients With Chest Pain
- Implanted Device May Improve Hard-to-Treat Chest Pain
- Doctors Aren't Discussing Sex With Heart Attack Survivors
- Daily Aspirin Fails to Help Older Hearts in Japanese Study
- Women Often Ignore Signs of Heart Trouble
- Modest Cardiac Benefit From Chelation Therapy Not Enough to OK Use: Experts
- Drug May Ease Angina in People With Type 2 Diabetes
- Heart Attack Patients Do Better if They Had Chest Pain First
- Giving Plavix Before Angioplasty May Cut Heart Attack Risk: Study
- Study Tallies Economic Fallout From Workers' Heart Attacks
- Nationwide Study Examines Common Heart Procedures
- Year of Taking Risky Blood Thinners May Be Unnecessary After Stent Surgery
- Heart Attacks, Strokes Jumped After Japan Earthquake, Study Finds
- New Blood Thinner Effient No Better Than Plavix at Preventing Heart Trouble: Study
- Guidelines Issued for New Blood Thinner Brilinta
- Statins May Work Better in Men Than in Women
- PTSD Unrecognized Risk Among Heart Attack Patients
- Both Too Little and Too Much Sleep Bad for the Heart: Study
- Stents Overused in Stable Heart Patients
- No Cancer Benefit From Vitamin B, Omega-3 Supplements in Heart Patients
- Sex OK for Many Heart Patients, Docs Say
- AHA: Sex Safe for Most Heart Patients
- New Blood Thinner Linked To Higher Heart Attack Risk
- Blood Pressure Drugs at Bedtime May Cut Heart Risk
- Health Tip: Suggestions to Help Manage Angina
- The 10 Most Prescribed Drugs
- For Multiple Heart Blockages, Bypass Surgery or Stents?
- Collaborative Care for Depression Has Heart Benefit
- Nitroglycerin May Increase Bone Density
- Do You Know When NOT to Call 911?
- Stroke History of Moms Predicts Risk for Daughters
- Recall of Albuterol Used in Nebulizers
- Family Stress Linked to Angina Pain
- Aromatase Inhibitors May Raise Heart Risks