Patient Comments: Angelman Syndrome - Signs and Symptoms

What were the signs and symptoms associated with your child's Angelman syndrome? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lexi, Female (Caregiver) Published: June 10

My daughter is 18, she was diagnosed with Angelman syndrome at her 12 month checkup. She was misdiagnosed at first with cerebral palsy. She is loving, caring and full of grace. She started having seizures at the age of 3 and didn't start walking until she was 6 years of age. She depends on me for everything, to getting her dressed, taking her to the bathroom, but most of all, I am her voice.

Comment from: JANEEN, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 06

My daughter is 28 years old and was diagnosed 10 years ago with Angelman syndrome. She has a 48 degree of scoliosis with 2 curves in her spinal cord which helps her in a way to still be mobile to a certain degree. She has no speech and makes loud screaming noises when excited. When she was younger she smiled and laughed a lot, not so much now. She also had a fascination for water when she was younger. She wants to hug everyone and seems not to know her own strength because her grip is very powerful. She is very lovable and I wish there was something I could do to help her. My heart aches for her each day. I wish medical science can discover a cure for her.

From WebMD Logo