Patient Comments: Anemia - Treatments

How was your anemia treated? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: mary, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22
Comment from: melly, Female (Patient) Published: March 04

My blood count was 5. I was a week in hospital, and had an endoscopy. A bleeding ulcer was clipped, I was given blood transfusions and sent home. Within 4 days I was back in hospital, another endoscopy, and another bleeding ulcer clipped. Blood count did not go up so a third endoscopy was done and more clips and a cauterization, more blood transfusion, and when my blood count went up to 9.6 I was given a shot of Procrit and sent home. I am doing ok. I have to have more regular blood testing and take iron (I was already taking two iron pills/day). Doctor may do iron shots.

Comment from: Loleta, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My mom is suffering with vertigo. While in the bathroom she ended up on floor and had no idea how she got there and apparently she continued excreting without knowing, and feces were on floor. She felt nauseated and weak but did not have any other issues.

Comment from: tejerao naik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

My grandson is one and a half month old. He is suffering from direct inguinal hernia. He is suffering from inability to urinate. His birth before 20 days was by Caesarian. His mother was suffering from diabetes in pregnancy.

Comment from: Gabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have always been anemic and unable to take iron supplements due to severe constipation. The disorder was diagnosed as an inability to absorb iron and I get a series of 5 iron infusions about twice a year, depending on the ferritin levels. I have been able to go almost 2 years at times without my levels being down, but my hematologist keeps a close watch on my levels.

Comment from: Piper, Female (Caregiver) Published: December 10

I just found out I have macular degeneration. The wet one. I had a shot recently. I am hoping it will help. It is too early to know.

Comment from: In Wait, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am 47 years old and have been anemic since my first day on earth. I took iron liquid all through my life till I was 12 and by then the iron had stained my teeth irreversibly. I have had them bleached over and over. I get approximately 5 to 7 iron infusions a year, as my MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration) level is always too low; which means that my red blood cells are not formed correctly. I do usually get about 2 to 3 transfusions a year. My body stopped absorbing iron from foods and supplements about 10 years ago. I have recently got the news that my body is no longer absorbing a lot of other nutrients that everyone's body needs such as calcium and potassium.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

Two days ago I was diagnosed with Uterine Fibroids, which explains the excessive menstrual bleeding I've been dealing with for over a year now. I donate blood on a pretty regular basis; the last time was about five months ago. Always tested negative for Anemia. I was told I am mildly anemic about three months ago after a physical. I started taking a liquid iron supplement. I will have a CBC done in a week or so, which will tell if the supplement has helped. I did not know that fatigue was a symptom, so I just attributed my tiredness to my job. I've had a particularly taxing work experience. Now, I have a much clearer picture and am definitely paying much more attention to the little clues my body gives me. Once I find out the latest from my CBC I will post if indeed the supplement helped and what it is, exactly.

Comment from: Penny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was always a sickly child. Then when I tried to donate blood at 19, after my first child they told me I was anemic. I have had many of the symptoms here, craving for ice, headaches, easily bruised, fainting, dizziness, rapid temperature changes, ringing in my ears, heart palpitations and hitting my wall daily (my term for 'push through the fatigue then shut down'). After my fourth child at 30, the doctors began to get worried, my red cells had mutated to absorb more iron. My blood count was down to four, I was truly unwell. After years of putting off all the tests, I had iron shots and still no improvement. I ended up having a colonoscopy. It was discovered I have an auto immune disease, I am coeliac. Hopefully this news and change in lifestyle will change my life.

Comment from: Naturalremedy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was suffering from anemia all my childhood. It came back heavily when I was pregnant. I took pills, iron, vitamins, and injections, nothing helped. I was told by a stranger to drink lots of fresh beetroot juice and sour red beetroot liquid. This is not the same as pickled beetroots. The fresh, raw slices of beetroots have to be put into a jar, with cold water, a few cloves of garlic and a piece of bread crust. The jar has to be covered but not closed. After a few days of fermentation, the water will turn red and should be ready to be used. Drink at least a glass of this liquid a day. This natural medication makes miracles. After a few days of drinking it, plus eating a lot of fresh vegetables you will be full of energy and your anemia will be gone. I have tried it many times, it saved me from severe anemia and its symptoms. Red beetroot has powerful ability to increase blood cells and cure various diseases connected with blood, also cancer. It's natural, powerful medication. Now I am like TIG(Trust in GOD)!

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was first diagnosed as anemic when I was a child after my mother found me asleep on my bed in the afternoon. All these years later, routine blood tests are still telling me that I am anemic. I am tired all the time and have no energy or enthusiasm to do what I should. I don't crave ice but do suffer with insomnia and can't grow my finger nails as they keep breaking. Late last year I changed my general physician (GP) who sent me to a specialist so now I am waiting to see if he can find the answer.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I have been diagnosed with anemia on numerous occasions, always prescribed iron tablets, but it just returns.

Comment from: kimsue68, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

For most of my life I have had these symptoms: fatigue, shortness of breath, prickling in my fingertips, cold skin, mental fatigue, moodiness and my worst one--hair loss. I bought good iron pills from the health food store that have multiple support minerals for iron absorption, folic acid, B12, ferrous sulfate (as iron), vitamin C, and chlorophyll. I take one pill with a multivitamin and fish oil and I feel great. I sleep better, my hair and skin are better, I am more alert, and I have more endurance. Please--if anyone suffers from these symptoms, go to your doctor, get a diagnosis and get treated. The quality of your life improves immediately.

Comment from: maninder, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I was diagnosed with anemia four years ago and take 1-2 iron pills per day. I also eat a couple of dried apricots everyday. Milk interferes with the absorption of iron, so I take my pills before I go to bed. Most days I am fine, but tend to up my iron intake just before and during my period.

Comment from: SnowGoddess, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have been a vegetarian since I was 8 years old with no mention ever of anemia. Three years ago I was diagnosed with fibroids after bleeding for 20 days straight and having to go to the hospital. They blew me off and said I wasn't anemic, and not to worry. After my last physical, they told me I was profoundly anemic at a 4, bordering a blood transfusion! I am so active and healthy I couldn't believe this news, I didn't have the typical symptoms, other than the dark circles under my eyes. I read through all the postings and feel better knowing I can treat this. Spinach, kale, fresh beet juice, and prenatal pills will be part of my everyday routine until my next blood test! Wish me luck!

Comment from: cecyfeb12, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

About two weeks ago I got beating by a mosquito and developed this lump in my back. So I went to the doctor to have it checked. Good thing that I did, lately I have been feeling dizzy and felt tired, but did everything around the house. The result came back with hemoglobin of count of 9.9 very anemic and I didn't even know that I had such a disorder.

Comment from: VAR, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I had every symptom already named here and more for anemia. I am now on B12 injections at home as well as Procrit. I also go to the doctors office and get Nuepogen and Aranesp. I am beginning to think I may never be able to work again. My fatigue is beyond ridiculous and do not sleep at all, EVER without Ambien CR and Trazadone. This is not good.

Comment from: diabetesdiva, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

When I was diagnosed with anemia the doctor put me on ferrous, or iron pills. Those made me nauseous, even if I took them with food. I learned prenatal vitamins have a significant amount of iron and don't make me nauseous so I take one of those daily even though I'm not having a baby.

Comment from: tracy66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I chewed two to three toothbrushes up in a weeks time (pica I was told), restless legs, headaches, dizziness, and extreme fatigue. Also very IRRITATABLE. The only thing that helped my anemia were weekly iron infusions (ten of them)--it's a year later and I get to have 5 more.

Comment from: bc, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 14

Following periods of persistent tiredness, a blood test revealed that I was iron deficient and had anemia. I was initially prescribed iron tablets - these did not agree with me, I was then given a series of iron injections and these also did not work. I am now having periodic iron infusions. My problem apparently stems from losing blood from an area between the small and large bowel.

Comment from: teila7, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I had to have 2 blood transfusions within three months because of anemia, my doctors finally decided to do an emergency hestorectomy. I still have some problems I had developed a heart murmur and my hemo was down to 6.8. Everthing is slowly getting better.

Comment from: chesne5, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Comment from: wyoming, Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My hemoglobin is 4 and I was told it is supposed to be 300. I am scheduled for three iron infusions next week.

Comment from: CatMama, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Four years ago I had a bout of diverticulitis with an infection and large abscess. My hemoglobin was 7 and I required four blood transfusions. It now hovers around 10 to 11 and I take prenatal vitamins.

Comment from: Marnee, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

My anemia was treated with the drug Venifor given intravenously for 10 weeks.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter