Patient Comments: Anemia - Diet

What dietary changes did you make after being diagnosed with anemia? Did the changes help your condition? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ForeverAnemic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

Take a good probiotic and work on repairing your gut. My anemia is definitely worsened by my stomach and there are some absorption issues. Still, take probiotics and a natural, good iron supplement. Take with orange juice to improve absorbency, and do not take with food or other vitamins that can potentially block the absorbency (like calcium). See a gastric doctor. See an obstetrician/gynecologist. Anemia is a symptom of another problem and rarely is it just solely a dietary deficiency. Follow up with doctors after your anemia is gone, to make sure it stays gone. Be sure they test your ferritin levels as well. In short, take probiotics, take care with your stomach, take natural iron supplements (I can't mention the brand but there is a good one that has turmeric in it) and take with a glass of orange juice. Take this supplement by itself and other supplements with food to maximize your absorbency.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I started using a cast iron pot instead of a regular stainless pot. Food tastes way better and adds iron to my diet.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter