Patient Comments: Anemia - Levels

What did you do to get your hemoglobin levels up? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ForeverAnemic, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

My hemoglobin levels almost always hover beneath the range of normal, though when mine dipped below 10 I had more thorough blood work. My ferritin level was 3. Be sure to get your ferritin levels monitored as well. I was referred to a hematologist/oncologist and needed iron infusions (called Venofer) twice a week until my level started became normal. This was the only time I have not been anemic. I've moved and my new doctor only prescribes ferrous sulphate, which isn't helping. Some anemics have digestive absorption problems and need infusions to get their hemoglobin and iron up.

Comment from: deeg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

Before trying this talk to your doctor as iron over dose is serious. My hematologist put me on 5 g/324 mg ferrous gluconate 3 times per day. My hemoglobin was 5.6, it was my fault, I failed to take my iron for months. I got back to taking the prescribed iron and I am nearly normal within a month. This iron is no prescription required, but have to ask pharmacy for it as it is kept behind counter. Most ladies don't realize the other iron elements run havoc on digestive system however the (gluconate) does not cause any of these side effects at least not for me; it has been well tolerated and it works.

Comment from: gOOs, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

I have classical symptoms of anemia, including severe shortness of breath during the warmer months. CBC shows RBC, hematocrit, and hemoglobin are all below the low reference point. D-dimer is elevated along with other unusual findings including high lipoprotein (a), chromogranin (a), and a low grade fever. However, the doctor advises that all is normal, and that the anemia markers are not low enough for concern. Ideas on how to proceed are appreciated.

Comment from: Grace, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I recently changed doctors. The original doctor gave me Procrit when my hemoglobin level was less than 12. This current doctor says that I don't need a shot unless my hemoglobin level is less than 10. I am concerned.

Comment from: Luckyone, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I had all of the classical anemia symptoms for over a year. The odd symptom was stomach pains. I kept going to the doctor getting same diagnosis: IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and anxiety. I went to a naturopath to get help with my "IBS". She ordered a simple blood panel because my color didn't look right. Surprise! I was anemic. RBC was 5; anything under 7 is considered life threatening. I had to have four units of blood and four days in hospital to figure out why I lost so much blood. Much to my surprise my "IBS" was colon cancer. Don't second guess yourself if you feel that something is really wrong. If I had just listened to my doctor, who knows how far the cancer would have gone. (Fortunately Stage II, removed during surgery, no chemotherapy or radiation. Now, almost one year, I am cancer free.)

Comment from: libuti, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

I was easily fatigued and had dizziness. One day my wife took me to a doctor who said I have severe anemia and I was admitted and treated in hospital for 3 weeks.

Comment from: nancy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been anemic for the last two years. This past year has been the worse since last August. I have had five blood transfusions; two bags each time. The lowest I have been is 6.2, 6.5, and 7.8. Right now, I'm at 9.8. I get my blood checked again soon. They have not said anything about changing the diet I'm on. Iron pills don't seem to work or stop the bleeding, so I have to keep getting blood transfusions

Comment from: visagan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I have ulcerative colitis and need to improve my hemoglobin level from 9.1 to 14.2.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter