Patient Comments: Anal Fissure - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your anal fissure? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: RKH, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I suffered for years from anal fissure, finally couldn't take it anymore and went to emergency. Nitroglycerine cream saved my life. Amazes me how many useless creams my useless doctors gave me.

Comment from: masterofnone, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

Taking 1 fiber pill a day cured the anal fissure that I had for several years. I also found that some fiber pills are better than others. I can't remember the one that didn't work, but the one that did work is Metamucil Multihealth Fiber active. I get the generic version.

Comment from: Glenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

I suffered with anal fissure pain since having a colonoscopy in August. I was referred to a surgeon. He gave me nifedipine which didn't work at first, then I took sitz bath with baking soda dissolved in water as warm as I could stand. I added inserting antibiotic ointment with the nifedipine. I take fiber daily, pain is subsiding daily, and bleeding stopped. Happy to end that pain.

Comment from: Home treatment, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm 19 years old. I have had my anal fissure for a year. Earlier it was not so painful, but since a month back it has been too horrible. The pain was awful, not able to sit, walk, nor sleep. I tried everything; lignocaine, Smuth, Anobliss, and sit up bath for 20 minutes morning and evening. But nothing was useful for me. I was frustrated and felt like I didn't want this life. Later just to try I applied Bioline (petroleum jelly) on my fissure. I saw some change in 1 night. After 2 or 3 days I was really happy that I was not having that much pain. I was in minimal pain. Those who are suffering from anal fissure, it is best to use Bioline. And use hot water to wash after bowel moment, please don't use cold water. With hot water you will get relief. Don't let your stools get hard, and avoid spicy food. Only these things can help for anal fissure. Goud luck to all.

Comment from: BUTTER, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

My best treatment for anal fissure is to drink aloe vera juice, and cut the aloe vera plant open and apply the juice to the area.

Comment from: Manoj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 07

I have been suffering from anal fissure since last five years. But since last fifteen days I have suffered with bleeding fresh in the morning. I don't have any pain and also don't have problem of constipation. I am very worried how to stop this.

Comment from: tinogut, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I have suffered pain from anal fissure for over 20 years. Nothing ever worked. I got some lidocaine spray 10 percent solution and mixed it with Gold Bond anti-itch lotion and that provided me with instant relief. Then I went on diabetic medicine and that seems to be more long term without the concoction that I had mixed for self-medication. With the diabetic medicines I haven't had any more pain.

Comment from: eddigits, (Patient) Published: October 28

I am a doctor of management who has researched treatments for anal fissures because I suffered from this problem for several years. I sought help from my general practitioner, my dermatologist, and a surgeon over an extended period. The surgeon told me to try Desitin original diaper rash ointment for some immediate relief of painful burning symptoms. This treatment provided some relief, but there were problems with messy application, making it difficult to employ this method and continue to work at the same time. However, it was a great place to start and I was willing to try anything. Following up on a suggestion from my dermatologist, I tried a number of local applications of skin moisturizers before I discovered a solution. This was Aveeno Active Naturals skin relief body wash fragrance free. I apply this product every time I shower. I concentrate ample amounts in known problem areas and put a light coating on my whole body, do a simple rinse, and dry thoroughly before getting dressed. I have been fissure-free for several years. It has even helped with cracked skin on my hands.

Comment from: Raj, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 13

After suffering for a long month of unbearable pain physically and mentally and taking lots of medicines, I could cure my anal fissure swelling and pain in about a week, by applying a heating bag (4 to 5 times) a day on the affected area. Heating not only reduced the swelling but also acted as a pain-relief solution after passing motions.

Comment from: pjgott, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 12

I suffered with anal fissures for over 5 years and really think I tried almost everything out there. I finally healed after using a product originally designed for anal itching and pruritus ani. The name of it is Pranicure. It was made to be the most difficult skin barrier to remove meaning it sticks to anal skin down there. So I thought it might just work on my anal fissures. I ordered it only because they have a money back guarantee and wow! I finally healed. It took about 4 weeks as I had several deep fissures, but it worked when nothing else would. Now after every bowel movement I follow the application instructions of clean, dry and apply, and now I've gone almost 6 months and have had no more fissures. Incredible relief after suffering for so long. I hope this helps a lot of you long term sufferers out there!

Comment from: Ouchie29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

Coconut oil is your best friend for treating anal fissures; and high fiber diet, stool softeners, and unscented wipes. Apply coconut oil as often as you like, it should give you immediate relief and help start healing.

Comment from: beehind, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 28

Doctor prescribed triamcinolone (steroid ointment) for my anal fissure and it didn't work. I decided to try coconut oil and it has been very soothing. I have very little pain or itching now. I can reapply it anytime. Sitz baths help during the day. With the coconut oil I do not wake up during the night in pain anymore.

Comment from: anal fiss, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

After many years of suffering from anal fissure I had an episode that was unbearable and found out that low residue diet works best for that problem. High fiber doesn't work for our problem, because we want stool that is easy on the rectum i.e., no fiber and no bulk. Fiber actually constipates, but healthy colon has the ability to digest it, still bulk and fiber are not good for damaged opening, our rectum. Also applying a lot of cream (Vaseline is the best) before bed time and in the morning before bowel movement is good. Do not push on the toilet, just let it go, like urinating and cook everything you eat (no raw food).

Comment from: mjway, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I had a fissurectomy and sphincterotomy about a month ago. The pain from the muscle spasms was gone immediately after the surgery. I had no pain for the first 5 days. Don't let that fool you into doing too much! The first week after the surgery there was pain when I went to the restroom and it lasted for several hours afterward. The pain was not as bad as that of the fissure. By the second week the pain was getting a little better every day. Now almost 4 weeks out, the pain is only when I go to the bathroom and for a short time afterwards. Make sure your stools are soft and keep the area around your rectum clean. It was the best thing I've ever done!

Comment from: VNvet, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

Over the years I had a couple of mild episodes of anal fissure that resolved fairly quickly with topical antiseptic and anesthetic, but the past two weeks have been pretty bad. One great treatment for pain is Solarcaine sunburn spray, which reaches farther into the wounded area with no painful physical touch. Antibiotic ointment is essential, as are stool softeners and fiber which I must use copiously thanks to the opiates I take for severe back, leg, neck, hand and arm pain (which has been worsening for years). The VA (Veteran's Affairs) would far rather drug you up and harass you about your drug use than offer surgery, which I have asked for numerous times. So far, my latest bout is ending, but very slowly.

Comment from: fellow sufferer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have now dealt with three anal fissures, two after giving birth and one recently for no apparent reason. When I had the first one I went to a surgeon who prescribed steroids, stool softeners, etc. all to absolutely no avail. A friend suggested a no-wheat, no-dairy diet. Literally two days later the pain was much less severe and within a week, almost gone. I stayed on it for a couple of months to be sure that was it, and then the symptoms only came back after another baby delivery. Then most recently I used the same self-administered treatment with great success. Try it, no harm and potentially huge relief like I experienced. Good luck.

Comment from: thakur slimshady, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 05

I neither eat fast food nor fried stuff but still got to suffer from this serious matter of concern; anal fissure. After applying ointments (Anovate, Anobliss, and Caldob) for 5 or 6 weeks, when there was no sign of recovery then my doctor subjected me surgery on my sphincter muscles inside the passage. I got 8 stitches inside and 2 external stitches. The operation lasts 20 minutes and now I am good.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have an anal fissure I have suffered with for years. I have serious constipation. I have been able to heal it several times by drinking prune juice, it softens my stool so it can heal. It has flared up again I can hardly bear the pain. Hoping it will heal again soon.

Comment from: ZI, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

Go vegan! Honestly, I would have been the last person to try this. I always made fun of vegetarians. I am mostly healthy, and active and I insisted that meat was a necessity, though I got really desperate when I got the anal fissure (acute) and nothing was working. After doing some research and realizing how much my tissues were inflamed, that my body was highly acidic, and my intestines were clogged because of all the meat I was eating. All things contributing directly or indirectly to the fissure. I didn't think cutting out meat and dairy was going to work, to be honest, but it did. I didn't have to have an operation and I actually felt better than ever before! There is hope.

Comment from: Ahmed, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 09

Well, for the past 2 years I have been suffering from the pain of anal fissure. I have a way that I use to be pain free for a very long time, however I am not a doctor and am not sure this will suit you. I was taking Xenical which is a pill that stops your body from accumulating fat by making the fat be passed through your stool. I took one pill every 2 days (because if you take it daily you will end up with a diarrhea), alongside Procto-Glyvenol suppositories. The good thing is you have no pain and no blood, the bad thing is Xenical is expensive and you might end up with weak intestines due to the very soft stool, but now I am thinking of going under the scalpel and I hope it will be cured.

Comment from: pooja, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had anal fissures for 8 months after getting them during labor. I tried every gel and stool softener possible but they didn't go. Finally I switched to homeopathy medicine and after 5 month course I am now free of this horror. Even during the course of medicines I felt at ease while using bathroom, it is a must try.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 18

I have suffered with an anal fissure for about 5 months. Nothing helped. Then I started applying a product from Zee called 3-In-One Antibiotic ointment. It has bacitracin zinc, neomycin sulfate and polymyxin B sulfate in it. In one week it has improved so much that I do not have any pain. I hope this is safe to do.

Comment from: Healing started: how, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I developed an anal fissure (AF) about 2 months ago. The pain was so extreme my legs would be shaking when I stood up after a bowel movement. I tried Vaseline but it was no help. Then I got the nitroglycerin ointment from my doctor. I tried sitz baths, which helped some. But what finally healed it was after using the toilet, I sit on the edge of the tub with my butt hanging inside and using the hand shower spray with warm water on the area for a minute to clean debris out of the AF. Then gently pat the area dry followed by application of the nitroglycerin ointment. Do this after every movement without fail. After 2 weeks of this, it is so much better. No residual pain anymore. Also, if you know you will be sitting on a hard surface for a while, place a thick sanitary pad in your panties centered over your anus to cushion you when you sit. This was a big help. For men, I guess you could cut a pad in half and stick it to your underwear so that you sit on the pad to protect the fissure.

Comment from: Zion Cured!, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I suffered on and off for 5 years with anal fissures with the worst episode being 3 weeks ago. Lubrication with Ivory soap and enemas would help at times but extreme pain and bleeding was still the result. I stopped eating and only drank water because I couldn"t take it anymore. After worrying about the situation I was led to undergo colonic irrigation. I thought it might be a waste because I had taken laxatives for two days and had 4 massive bowel movements over the course of two days. I took 4 sessions (1 a day) and each time the therapist extracted lots of old fecal matter that had stuck to my colon walls over the years. I don"t have the problem now and have started eating again but she said there is still more old hard debris that needs to be removed. So I will definitely be going back for 4 more sessions! I had to share this because I know firsthand how terrible and devastating this condition is. No one should have to go through this!

Comment from: anonymous, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 28

Good and effective treatment for anal fissure is eat two dry dates for 3 days at night time before sleep. This worked very well for many people. Dry dates will be available in all Indian stores.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: December 01

My doctor gave me petrolatum for anal fissure, but it's not working and the pain is unbelievable.

Comment from: Rojo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I'm an overweight person weighing around 102 kg with 173 cm height. I started bleeding some years back while on carb limited diet, but the anal fissures went away when I started taking normal food. A couple of months back I started noticing blood on the tissue and slowly over days it increased. The pain got worse to a level that I was too scared to go to the toilet and moved on a liquid diet. I went to the general physician who referred me to a specialist. He advised to put Rectogesic for 2 weeks and take a lot of fiber. This helped a bit but the blood didn't stop. After doing a couple of visits to the specialist, I agreed to go in for a surgery. Post-surgery, the pain in my bottom came down from level 9/10 to 3/10. Now the problem is that it has been over 14 weeks and I'm still having pain in my bottom with occasional bleeding. I am not able to jog, exercise or even lift weights as these movements worsen the symptoms. The doctor has no further advice but whether to put Rectogesic or again surgery. In the meanwhile, the specialist's bill has climbed to over $3000.

Comment from: suleika, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

After years of suffering from fissure and hemorrhoids, my hemorrhoids were banded and I was given a Botox injection for the fissure in February 2013. While this dealt with the hemorrhoids, the fissure pain increased to an intolerable level. I was then treated for 4 months with Rectogesic and Diltiazem cream which eventually healed the fissure and controlled the pain to some extent. Last weekend an anal skin tag was discovered on the fissure scar and surgically removed. To ease the pain and to encourage healing I was given another Botox injection. This now has landed me in hellish pains and cramps, which only respond to opiates for up t0 3 hours a day. I am free of pain when I lie down; hot baths and a hot water bottle strapped to my abdomen give relief as well, but generally speaking I feel so ill that I sometimes feel like fainting.

Comment from: AFhelp, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I had large bowl movements for the majority of my life. ( I am 21 yrs old) In 2009 I started noticing moderate pain after I would pass a bowl movement. Over time the pain would get worse and worse. Finally I went and had a colonoscopy done and he found an anal fissure. We tried a few methods to clear it up but it just would not go away. I finally agreed to have the surgery. When I woke up from the surgery he said he had found not one anal fissure but a series of small ones that he cannot repair. So now I still have the pain not only when passing stools but also during intercourse! This has become such a frusterating part of my life. I am taking fiber and stool softeners and that is making me go more frequently but it is not relieving any of my pain. The fissures are not seeming to go away!

Comment from: toplash, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I suffered from anal fissures for 13 years after my children were born. I was finally given a choice: surgery or a new treatment of injecting Botox into them. I went with the Boxtox, and that was four years ago. Apart from a bit of leakage now and again, I am pain-free and all thanks to Botox. I know people who have had the operation, and it hasn't worked for them. I know one other person who practically lives in the hospital having had the operation go badly. So, please think carefully before agreeing to surgery. Ask your doctor about Botox.

Comment from: Extremely Upset, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have been dealing with anal fissures for about two years. I tried cream and Botox before I had surgery in December of 2008. After the surgery, one cut would not heal, and I was still bleeding from that surgery cut, not the fissure. I was tested for diabetes and the test came back normal. In April of 2009, I had surgery again for the cut that did not heal and was bleeding. After this surgery, the cut still did not heal and I was still bleeding. I was going back to the surgeon every four weeks and every time I went back, he kept burning bleeders by or in my anal area where the surgery cut was. I have to go back to the surgeon again in July, and the cut is still not healing, and I am still bleeding. At the last visit, my surgeon told me I might have to have more surgery. I cannot seem to get an answer as to why this one cut is not healing and why I am still bleeding.

Comment from: Raystonwall, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I have been suffering with chronic anal fissures since about 1988. In the military, I was just given a cream to use when they appeared. Until lately that was fine, for it would go away for a few months and then return again. Now I have been truly suffering for several weeks with hardly any relief. I even had a colonoscopy a month ago, which diagnosed that an anal fissure was present along with internal hemorrhoids. I walked away with a prescription for a cream to insert in my anal canal, which I can hardly do because of the extreme pain. I usually have a bowel movement about three to four times a day, so I experience quite a lot of pain during the day. I take 4 grams of fiber a day and have started using a stool softener. I have still yet to feel any relief.

Comment from: Slim, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I suffered from an outward hemorrhoid for nine years after the birth of my child. Finally I had to have this surgery called a hemorrhoidectomy. It hurt like hell, and it was hard using the bathroom afterward. When my bottom started to heal after getting in the tub with Epsom salt almost three times a day, I had this awful itch. Also, I was constipated severely. The doctor gave me Proctofoam for the itching, but it didn't work. For the constipation, I have used every remedy there is, and it still doesn't seem to be working.

Comment from: Robyn , 45-54 Female Published: October 16

I was advised to have surgery for my anal fissure, but I was very reluctant to and decided to try Dr Wheatgrass antioxidant skin recovery cream. I've been using the cream for two weeks, and the symptoms have almost gone.

Comment from: YouDontWantThis, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 19

My fissures are associated with Ulcerative Colitis. Kansan suppositories, used for Colitis, seem to help well, but are very expensive. ProctoFoam brings immediate relief from the worst of the itching- it is Hydrocortisone 10%. I have used Nitroglycerine ointment with good effect in the past. I found it is possible to use the cheap 2% mixed with Vaseline 1:10 to dilute it to the 0.2% that is desired. Using a stool softener helps keep from damaging the tissue again.

Comment from: priya g., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I have taken lots of medicine for anal fissure but have had no relief.

Comment from: Raj A., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I am suffering from anal fissure problem for the last 1 month and I have used Anovate cream.

Comment from: Joe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 03

I have had this hideous anal fissure now I think for 3 to 4 years. Last night I went to Accident & Emergency and they could only give me painkillers which don't do anything, and told me I need to see a specialist so today I have made an appointment to see my general physician. I so hope something can get done as the pain is terrible.

Comment from: Dave, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

Anal fissure is the worst long term pain! For 15 years I have done it all from stool softener to salt to sit bath! Creams for sphincter muscles, dilation, but no it did not work at all.

Comment from: billybobsboss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've suffered from a deep anal fissure for three months! I saw my surgeon one month ago. She refused to do surgery; said it is not done anymore! I have used the nitroglycerine ointment for a month. Some improvement but still have extreme pain during and for several hours after bowel movement.

Comment from: need help, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

Been suffering from fissure for 3 months had surgery, how do i go back to eating, everyone says you can eat anything. There must be a starting point after eating practically nothing for 3 months. Fissure is now healed.

Comment from: mommaT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

For 27 years, I have suffered since I was 12 years old with IBS, hemorrhoids, gas, and anal fissures. Creams, foam, and medicine didn't work. I had surgery 10 years ago, and have had no more problems with anal fissures. My sphincter was cut and an internal hemorrhoid was removed.

Comment from: Kelly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had bathroom problems all my life. IBS, the usual bloating, constipation, all the usual. Finally turned into a fissure. I have had 3 surgeries and it will not heal. The pain is never ending.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I too suffered for eight or nine months with anal fissures. I had unbelievable pain right before, during, and hours after a bowel movement. I didn't want to eat because I knew what went in eventually had to come out! I had the surgery. It wasn't easy. In fact, it was the worst three weeks of my life. I had lots of pain (the Percocet helped) and lots of sitz baths, and a special lotion to clean the area after a bowel movement (no toilet paper for about two weeks). I also had to learn to re-control that muscle. Long story I know, but there is a happy ending: I had this surgery 12 years ago and not once have I ever had the horrific pain when having a bowel movement! So, have the surgery! After the initial healing phase, you will never regret it!

Comment from: stew, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I had chronic constipation all my life and anal fissures since around 2000. In 2007, for various other reasons, I noticed I felt better if I avoided wheat. I stopped eating gluten, which is found in wheat and barley products (and in some rarer grains), and my constipation and fissures cleared up! My GI doctor did a colonoscopy and said I'm not celiac, but now I read that a true diagnosis can only be obtained by endoscopy, so I may or may not be celiac, but I know one thing for sure--I get sick if I eat wheat, so I avoid it and feel better than I have in years!

Comment from: Jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I had what I thought was a really bad hemorrhoid for about a year. It turned out to be anal fissures. After seven months of ineffective treatment with nitroglycerin and Lydocaine cream, I had to have surgery, a sphincterectomy. It's been almost a month, and I am finally beginning to feel better, and that the surgery was successful.

Comment from: prayerful person, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been suffering from an anal fissure for about two months now. I find it very helpful to take three tablespoons full of mineral oil, each night at bed time. Just prior to a BM, I apply a great deal of a prescription cream. I was using nitroglycerin ointment three times a day, but I got headaches. I now use it in the a.m. and p.m. It is the 2% kind, not the .2% kind. Also, it has been a long time since I have actually sat on the toilet. I hover over it, in a more of a standing position. I have been on this treatment for 12 days now, and I am finally getting better, much less pain. Be sure to drink lots of water through out the day, and eat fruit, like melons. Good luck!

Published: May 29

I think it's called ProctoFoam it is a prescription. After suffering since Jan an tried every over the counter medicine, I think this really has helped.

Comment from: Fred, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 07

I had anal fissure surgery in October 2009. It has been about three months later, and I am not completely healed. I don't know if I will ever heal!

Comment from: vitalist, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

Anusalve and a Plantain/Goldenseal salve have had a tremendous healing effect on my condition. I have had severe pain for two weeks using various hemorid creams with minimal results. I switched to the salves and noticed pain relief. I also changed my diet eliminating meats and eating more vegetables and fruits. An enema is useful after bowel movements to clear any stool that is irritating the fissure. Light exercising is helping the healing process due to increased body response to repair.

Comment from: wasstruggling, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I had an anal fissure for all of October and half of November of this year. It healed on its own and then re-opened again after a difficult bowel movement. The pain was so terrible; I was going to inquire about surgery. However, my gastroenterologist prescribed me an ointment with diltiazem in it, which is a blood pressure medicine. Within 10-14 days I was pain free. The medicine promotes blood flow to the area which decreases pressure and promotes healing. Because it was a compound, it was not an inexpensive prescription, however, I have found it *very* healing and would recommend it to anyone suffering from this terrible ailment.

Comment from: Ay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had an LIS surgery for chronic anal fissures, however, although I felt a tangible relief for few months, an event of constipation due to my omittance to taking high fiber products on product caused me to have some blood again after defecation. Except for drastic therapies such as surgeries, the underlying problem is the control of bowel softness. This may be burdensome sometimes if one is compelled to use pharmaceutical products on daily basis.

Comment from: Ms. Saetern, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have never had problem with constipation or pressure from my bottom. When I was 5 months pregnant with my second child, I noticed that I had bleeding from my anus. After my child was born I thought it will go away, of course not. I went to have a check up and found out that I had an anal fissure, the doctor told me to get surgery, but I need help trying to find some answers of what I am supposed to do.

Comment from: diethell, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I ended up with an anal fissure as a result of dieting and a lack of fiber in my diet. After trying a number of remedies, this is working for me and was suggested by my doctor to try. Use a glycerine suppository before your first bowel movement in the morning. Apply Polysporin to the tear every time you go to the bathroom and before bed. I also use a Hemoriod supplement at nighttime with creme. I am taking fiber pills to encourage a soft stool and I am consuming lots of fiber rich foods and water into my diet. I have had considerable relief over a one week period (using the Polysporin) and have had the problem for about 5 weeks altogether. I would try anything not to have surgery.

Comment from: sen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had chronic constipation and anal fissure for two years after childbirth and taking stool softener was not working on me nor was taking constipation medication so one doctor prescribed me liver medicine{Livida} and my softened and now the fissure is improving.

Comment from: lube job, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had surgery for hemorrhoids and numerous fissures in the early 90's. Following the surgery was the most miserable 12 days of screaming pain in my life. I had suffered with it for 40 years prior to surgery. After 12 days, the pain subsided. Then 3 years ago, the fissures returned. The only thing that consistently relieves the pain and enables them to heal is to take Xenical with every meal. It keeps the area well lubricated and prevents further tearing while allowing the fissures to heal. Trust me on this one, it works. I take it every day to prevent a recurrence.

Comment from: Jennifer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have several anal fissures and am going to have a colonoscopy. I have taken the medication and having no reaction to the medicine other than nauseated and burping and no bowel movement other than pebble sized bowel movements about 10.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter