What are the uses for amlodipine and benazepril?
What are the side effects of amlodipine and benazepril?
Lotrel causes the same side effects as benazepril and amlodipine.
Common side of Lotrel include
- water retention (edema) in legs and arms,
- edema in the lungs
- stomach pain,
- muscle cramps,
- sexual problems, and
Other side effects of Lotrel include
- High Blood Pressure Slideshow Pictures
- Take the Salt Quiz!
- Lowering Blood Pressure Exercise Tips Pictures
- What brand names are available for amlodipine and benazepril?
- Is amlodipine and benazepril available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for amlodipine and benazepril?
- What are the uses for amlodipine and benazepril?
- What are the side effects of amlodipine and benazepril?
- What is the dosage for amlodipine and benazepril?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with amlodipine and benazepril?
- Is amlodipine and benazepril safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about amlodipine and benazepril?
What is the dosage for amlodipine and benazepril?
The dose of Lotrel is tailored to the patient's needs. The dose is one capsule once daily.
Which drugs or supplements interact with amlodipine and benazepril?
- Combining benazepril with potassium supplements, potassium containing salt substitutes, and potassium conserving diuretics such as amiloride (Moduretic), spironolactone (Aldactone), and triamterene (Dyazide, Maxzide), can lead to dangerously high blood levels of potassium.
- There have been reports of increased lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid) levels when lithium is used in combination with ACE inhibitors. The reason for this interaction is not known, but the increased levels may lead to toxicity from lithium.
- There have been reports that aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Children's Advil/Motrin, Medipren, Motrin, Nuprin, PediaCare Fever, etc.), indomethacin (Indocin, Indocin-SR), and naproxen (Anaprox, Naprelan, Naprosyn, Aleve) may reduce the effects of ACE inhibitors. Combining ACE inhibitors with NSAIDs in patients who are elderly, volume-depleted (including those on diuretic therapy), or with poor kidney function may result in reduced kidney function, including kidney failure. These effects usually are reversible.
- Nitritoid reactions (symptoms include facial flushing, nausea, vomiting and low blood pressure or hypotension) may occur when injectable gold (sodium aurothiomalate), used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, is combined with ACE inhibitors.
- Amlodipine increases blood levels of simvastatin (Zocor). The dose of simvastatin should be limited to 20 mg daily when combined with amlodipine.
Is amlodipine and benazepril safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- ACE inhibitors, including benazepril, can be harmful to the fetus and should not be taken by pregnant women.
- Small amounts of benazepril are excreted in breast milk. It is not known whether amlodipine is excreted in breast milk. Lotrel or nursing should be discontinued.
What else should I know about amlodipine and benazepril?
What preparations of amlodipine and benazepril are available?
Capsules (mg amlodipine/mg benazepril): 2.5/10; 5/10;5/20; 5/40; 10/20; and 10/40
How should I keep amlodipine and benazepril stored?
Lotrel should be stored at room temperature, 15 C - 30 C (59 C - 86 F).
Lotrel (amlodipine and benazepril) is a combination drug prescribed for the treatment of high blood pressure. Side effects include:
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Quiz: Symptoms, Signs & Causes
Take this quiz and test your IQ of high blood pressure (hypertension), the cardiovascular disease that causes most strokes and...
Picture of Blood Pressure
The blood pressure is the pressure of the blood within the arteries. See a picture of Blood Pressure and learn more about the...
How to Lower Blood Pressure: Exercise Tips
Trying to lower high blood pressure (hypertension)? Discover exercises good for lowering blood pressure, along with other...
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension): Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
What causes high blood pressure (hypertension)? Know the warning signs and symptoms of high blood pressure. Read about high blood...
Related Disease Conditions
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension) Signs, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a disease in which pressure within the arteries of the body is elevated. About 75 million...
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- High Blood Pressure FAQs
- Medication Disposal
- Dangers of Mixing Medications
- How To Reduce Your Medication Costs
- Pharmacy Visit, How To Get The Most Out of Your Visit
- Indications for Drugs: Approved vs. Non-approved
- Drugs: Buying Prescription Drugs Online Safely
- Drugs: The Most Common Medication Errors
- Generic Drugs, Are They as Good as Brand-Names?
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
Heart Health Resources
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.