Caring for a loved one or patient with Alzheimer's can become a difficult and overwhelming task at times. This guide helps caregivers of individual's with Alzheimer's deal with communicating, bathing, and dressing; as well as problem solving with incontinence, sleeping, wandering; and coping with difficulties Alzheimer's patients present. Read more: Alzheimer's Disease Patient Caregiver Guide Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Alzheimers Disease Quiz: Stages, Symptoms & Signs
Take the Alzheimer's Quiz to discover some of the mysteries behind this cognitive disorder. Learn causes, symptoms, treatments,...
Picture of Alzheimer's Disease
In the early stages of Alzheimer's disease, patients may experience memory impairment, lapses of judgment, and subtle changes in...
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Caring for Someone With Alzheimer's Disease
Use this guide for advice on caring for someone with Alzheimer's. Learn to spot early signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease...
Alzheimer's Disease Symptoms & Early Diagnosis
Learn the early warning signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. Memory loss and confusion can be signs of normal aging, but...
Alzheimer's Diagnosis: Your Family's Questions Answered
Is there any difference between Alzheimer's disease and Dementia? Is Alzheimer's disease deadly? Find out the truth about...
Related Disease Conditions
Dehydration is the excessive loss of body water. There are a number of causes of dehydration including heat exposure, prolonged...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Swallowing Problems (Dysphasia)
Dysphagia or difficulty in swallowing, swallowing problems. Dysphagia is due to problems in nerve or muscle control. It is...
Sleep Disorders (How to Get a Good Night's Sleep)
A number of vital tasks carried out during sleep help maintain good health and enable people to function at their best. Sleep...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Insomnia Treatment (Sleep Aids and Stimulants)
Insomnia is difficulty in falling or staying asleep, the absence of restful sleep, or poor quality of sleep. Insomnia is a...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Bowel or fecal incontinence refers to the loss of voluntary control of stool, or bowel movements. The condition can include...
Depression in the Elderly
Depression in the elderly is very common. That doesn't mean, though, it's normal. Treatment may involve antidepressants,...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Alzheimer's Disease: Financial Planning
Alzheimer's disease can be not only mentally devastating to an indivdiual and family, it can also be emotionally devastating....
Most often, caregivers take care of other adults who are ill or disabled. Less often, caregivers are grandparents raising their...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Urinary Incontinence in Women
Millions of women suffer from urinary incontinence (UI). UI occurs twice as often in women as in men. There are many types of...
Alzheimer's disease is a common cause of dementia. Symptoms and warning signs of Alzheimer's disease include memory loss,...
Hyothermia or extreme exposure to cold can be classified as either accidental hypothermia (unintentional cold exposure) and...
Brain Lesions (Lesions on the Brain)
A brain lesion is defined as an area of damaged brain. Brain lesions (lesions on the brain) are caused by: trauma,...
7 Alzheimer's Disease Stages and Symptoms
The signs and symptoms of Alzheimer's disease depend on the stage of the disease. Some doctors and researchers disagree in regard...
Local ResourcesFind a local Geriatrician in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- FDA Warns 17 Companies About Illegal Alzheimer's Disease Products
- Could Gut Bacteria Be Linked to Dementia Risk?
- Plunging Temperatures a Threat to People With Alzheimer's
- What Makes for a Good Nursing Home?
- Health Tip: Caring for a Person With Alzheimer's
- Can Alzheimer's Be Spread? Mouse Study Hints It's Possible
- Doctors' Office Dementia Tests Are Often Wrong: Study
- Key Strategies When Caring for a Loved One With Dementia
- Ageism Costs Billions in Health Care Dollars
- Could Diabetes Drugs Help Curb Alzheimer's?
- Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor Has Dementia
- Poorer Care at For-Profit Nursing Homes, Study Claims
- Could Herpes Virus Help Cause Alzheimer's?
- Map of Mouse Hippocampus Could Be Weapon Against Alzheimer's
- What's the Dollar Cost of Caring for a Loved One With Alzheimer's?
- U.S. Alzheimer's Cases to Nearly Triple by 2060
- Exercise May Boost Brain Power in Alzheimer's, Mouse Study Suggests
- Severity of Alzheimer's Can Vary by Season
- Health Tip: Help Kids Understand Alzheimer's
- Intensive Blood Pressure Control May Help Preserve Brain Health
- Virtual Reality as a Window Into Dementia
- Alzheimer's Drug Trial Offers New Hope, But Uncertainty, Too
- The Right Lighting Can Calm Alzheimer's Patients
- Life Is Short After Dementia Diagnosis, No Matter Your Age
- Could Aspirin Help Keep Alzheimer's Away?
- Robots May Soon Join Ranks of Alzheimer's Caregivers
- Health Tip: Living With Dementia
- How Much Exercise Helps the Aging Brain?
- Health Tip: Caregivers Can Help Prevent Falls
- 'Markers' of Alzheimer's Don't Doom You to Dementia
- Can Exercise Help Curb Dementia? One Study Says No
- Making Life With Dementia More Bearable
- When Do You Take Guns From Someone With Dementia?
- 'Smart Dresser' Might Help Alzheimer's Patients Clothe Themselves
- Health Tip: Signs of Abuse at an Eldercare Facility
- The Focus Shifts in Alzheimer's Research
- Alzheimer's Stigma a Barrier to Prevention, Care: Survey
- Scientists Remove Alzheimer's Brain Plaques in Mice
- The High Costs of Alzheimer's
- Heartburn Meds Not Tied to Hip Fractures in Alzheimer's Patients
- Poor Sleep May Heighten Alzheimer's Risk
- What Caregivers Should Know About Alzheimer's
- Health Tip: Using a Geriatric Care Manager
- Health Tip: Next Steps After Being Diagnosed With Alzheimer's
- Eyes May Be Window Into Future Memory Loss
- Health Tip: Friendships May Stem Cognitive Decline in Seniors
- Another Alzheimer's Drug Fails: What Makes This Disease So Tough to Fight?
- Health Tip: Alzheimer's and the Holidays
- Dementia Care: A Huge Financial Burden for U.S. Families
- Traveling With Dementia: Tips for Family Caregivers
- Wives, Daughters Shoulder Most of Alzheimer's Care Burden
- Early Palliative Care Seems to Help Caregivers, Too
- Brain Injuries in Older Age Could Boost Dementia Risk, Study Finds
- Blood Test May Have Power to Predict Alzheimer's
- My Father's Keeper: Caring for a Parent With Dementia
- Portable Bed Rails Can Pose Safety Hazard, FDA Says
- Alzheimer's 'Epidemic' Straining Caregiver, Community Resources: Report
- A Third of U.S. Seniors Die With Dementia, Study Finds
- More Regular Meals May Improve Dementia Care
- For Alzheimer's Caregivers, Patience and Compassion Are Key
- Family's Questions About Alzheimer's Patients Can Put Nurses in a Bind
- Drug May Slow Memory Loss in Early Alzheimer's
- Home-Based Care Teams Offer Help for Those With Dementia
- Health Tip: Take Care of Yourself, Too
- Lower Weight May Be Early Alzheimer's Sign
- Eye Surgery Improves Mood of Alzheimer's Patients
- Family History Has Complex Role in Alzheimer's Risk
- Laughter Might Be Good Medicine for Alzheimer's Patients
- Alzheimer's and Its Impact on Women
- Researchers Find Clues for Early Alzheimer's