Patient Comments: Alzheimer's Disease - Treatments

What stage of Alzheimer's disease are you or your loved one currently experiencing, and have any treatments been effective? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Southerngirl4, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: August 01

He is in a severe stage of Alzheimer's disease and no treatment has helped. He has sleeping illusions or seeing things mostly when he wakes up. It's like living with someone in an abusive relationship; getting swung at and cussed out, and no sleep.

Comment from: ljc22, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 12

I had a spinal tap 15 years ago for pseudotumor cerebri. I couldn't believe all the colors I could see afterwards. It took them 3 times to get into my spine and it really hurt but it got the pressure down in my brain. My doctor thinks my pressure is up again so in 2 days I need another spinal tap. I'm scared because 10 years ago I had a tumor taken out of my lumbar region and I'm afraid they are going to mess it up.

Comment from: Marilyn, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 28

My husband was diagnosed about 3 years ago with Alzheimer's disease. In the past year or so he gets confused with me. He talks to me in the 3rd person and tells me everything that has happened when I was with him. I still work and he is at home with our dog. He calls me every morning between 8:30 and 9:00. When I am not at work he stills insists on phoning me. He has always been a very happy man, but recently has started being very argumentative and gets annoyed easily.

Comment from: varalakshmi, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 20

I find recently my mother is suffering from Alzheimer's disease. In 1993 she had hysterectomy operation at which time the doctor said that my mother might experience memory loss soon. While my mother is affected by memory loss she remembers things from the year 2013 onwards. Now she is not asking anything and is bedridden.

Comment from: SWAY, Published: May 30

I had a lateral knee replacement on my right knee in March 2016. About 2 months after I started having problems with my right foot and the back of my heel was swelling up. I spoke with the surgeon and he said just stretch so I did. After 3 months it was so bad the back of my heel looked purple so I went to the hospital. They aspirated it and gave me a cortisone shot and said I have a large horn on the back of my heel. I have been stretching, icing and still trying to walk with little success. I was prescribed orthotic shoes and the woman, after the second attempt to make them fit, said there is no way we can do this until I get the back of my heel fixed as it was still growing and now I have spurs all around the bottom of my heel. We are now in 26 May 2017 and I am still waiting for someone to help me fix this problem. I can't even go up and down stairs properly. I wasn't obese until now and I walked 10 km every day before all of this. Now I have trouble walking to the corner! I am at a loss now!

Comment from: Joycie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My husband was told he had Alzheimer's and the doctor told us to start preparing for the future. They did an APOE 3/4 blood test. He was still working and had to take a lower pay because he could not do math on contracts. He was in the 1st stage. After being on Aricept and then Namenda 4 years he seemed to get some better. He still drives some but I do most of the driving. He gets very angry at nothing and tells me that I have Alzheimer's and he takes the meds. This all started 1992.

Quick Guide to Dementia