Patient Comments: Alternative Treatments for Hot Flashes - Treatments

What alternative treatments for hot flashes did you try? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Suepy, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 15

I recently had the quadrivalent flu shot because I'm over 65 (67). There was normal stiffness in my left arm because of the shot, but nothing I couldn't handle. Two days later I noticed a lymph node just inside my clavicle area was swollen and very sore to the touch. It will be a week tomorrow, though the soreness is gone, the node is still a bit swollen. My doctor said the lymph node is doing its job and to give it a bit more time. Not sure if I should be worried or not.

Comment from: Heather, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have purchased a mattress protector with Coolmax technology. It draws heat from the body, and it absolutely works. When I travel, I have to take a spare one with me or I still wake often at night as hormone replacement therapy (HRT) doesn"t handle it 100%. I use it in addition to HRT.

Comment from: Cancer Patient, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I am a 68-year-old male with early stage prostate cancer. After two months of the injection Lupron Depot, I was given 43 days of radiation therapy. One of the side effects of Lupron was night sweats and occasional daily sweating, lasting only a minute at a time. My oncologist asked me every week during my radiation what my biggest side effect was and I gave him the same answer every week for three weeks: uncontrollable sweating. He gave me nothing. During the fourth week, I returned to my urologist and told him my problem. He immediately prescribed Megace tablets twice a day. Within 24 hours my night sweats disappeared, and accordingly I will take it as long as I take Lupron Depot, which for me would last through my last Lupron shot or eight months.

Comment from: Jody, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I'm 62 and I've been on the Climara patch for several years and it has worked great for hot flashes/night sweats. I've gotten myself off of it a couple of times or cut the dose and the night sweats are unbearable. Lately, I've been having hot flashes/sweats at night and I'm on the patch. I don't understand what is going on.

Comment from: Audrey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I recently turned 43 years old and have been experiencing absolutely, wretched hot flashes for the past 4 years. These incredibly nasty hot flashes have had an absolute negative impact on my quality of life. I have been taking hormone replacement therapy - Estrogen and Progesterone; in addition, I have been on Effexor - 300 mg for years to treat my ongoing depression and a bit of seasonal affective disorder for which it works well, but does absolutely nothing for the hot flashes.

Take the Menopause Quiz