Alternative medicine is the healing arts not taught in traditional Western medical schools that promote options to conventional medicine that is taught in these schools. Complementary medicine is different from alternative medicine. Whereas complementary medicine is used together with conventional medicine, alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. Read more: Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Low Back Pain: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, Relief
Do you suffer from low back pain? Watch this slideshow to see common triggers of lower back pain and what kind of treatments you...
Back Pain: Find Relief, Treat Your Back Pain
Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the truth and get the facts behind myths, remedies, causes and treatment for back...
Related Disease Conditions
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae,...
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver...
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus). Regular pelvic exams and Pap testing can detect precancerous...
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to...
Quackery of Arthritis
Arthritis patients are sometimes vulnerable to quackery (the business of promoting unproven remedies). These "quick fix"...
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been...
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Herb Danger - Aristolochic Acid Warning
- Depression - St. John's Wort
- Drugs Distributed On The Internet Without Controls
- Hypnosis In Medicine
- Hot Flashes: Anxiety Worsens Hot Flashes
- Vertigo, Not an Easy Diagnosis
- What Is the Di Bella Cancer Cure?
- Nine Ways to Spot Health Scams and Quackery
- Herbs: Toxicities and Drug Interactions
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Yoga, Meditation Surging in Popularity in U.S.
- New Nerve Stimulation Technique Might Relieve Back Pain
- For Pain Relief, Why Not Try Drug-Free Alternatives
- Acupuncture: A New Look at an Ancient Remedy
- Cancer Survival Drops With Complementary Therapy: Study
- U.S. Teens Embracing Alternative Meds. Is That a Healthy Trend?
- Trumps Signs Bill Allowing Terminal Patients to Try Unproven Medicines
- No Evidence Acupuncture Boosts Fertility Treatment
- Health Tip: Is Hand Therapy Right For You?
- Is Integrative Medicine Right for You?
- Sauna Sessions May Be as Good as Exercise for the Heart
- FDA Gets Tough With Homeopathic Medicines
- For a Colicky Baby, You Might Give Acupuncture a Try
- Certain Parents More Likely to Skip Kids' Flu Shot
- Health Tip: Meditation Can Help You Relax
- Alternative Medicine Taking Hold Among Americans: Report
- Many Breast Cancer Patients Try Alternative Medicine First: Study
- 1 in 6 Seniors Takes Dangerous Combos of Meds, Supplements: Study
- Transcendental Meditation May Help Relieve PTSD
- Health Tip: Meditation May Help Your Heart
- Many Seniors With Cancer Use Alternative Medicines: Study
- Many Don't Tell Docs About Using Alternative Therapies for Pain
- FDA Weighs Tighter Regulation of Homeopathic Medicines
- Acupuncture Less Effective for Skeptics
- Acupuncture May Not Help Chronic Knee Pain, Study Finds
- U.S. Pledges Millions to Study Ways to Ease Soldiers' Pain
- Health Tip: Getting a Massage?
- Yoga, Meditation May Help Dementia Patients and Caregivers Alike
- Yoga Big on West Coast, Chiropractors Popular in Midwest
- Experts Warn About Skin Cancer 'Treatments' Sold Online
- Making Acupuncture Even Safer
- What Yoga Can and Can't Do for You
- Ear Acupuncture May Hold Promise for Weight Loss
- Health Tip: Practicing Tai Chi
- Fish Oil Pills Might Cut Diabetes Risk, Researchers Say
- Exercise, Alternative Therapies May Help Lower Blood Pressure
- Steer Clear of 'Miracle Cures,' Other Bogus Health Products: FDA
- Acupuncture May Help Ease Hay Fever
- Aromatherapy Linked to Benefits and Harms
- Transcendental Meditation May Lower Heart Risk
- Acupuncture Might Ease Fatigue Linked to Breast Cancer
- Controversial Alternative Heart Treatment Shows Hint of Benefit
- Hypnosis May Ease Hot Flashes in Postmenopausal Women
- Hypnosis Halts Hot Flashes for Some Women
- Acupuncture Pain Relief Is Real, Researchers Say
- 'Mindful' Meditation Tied to Healthy Brain Changes: Study
- Chinese Herb Kudzu May Help Drinkers Cut Down
- Aromatherapy: More Than Just a Pleasant Scent?
- Herbal Remedy Ingredient Tied to Cancer, Kidney Failure
- DNA Testing Finds Allergens, Toxins in Traditional Chinese Medicines
- Alternative Therapies Aren't Used as Substitutes for Asthma Meds: Study
- Thyme's Time as an Acne Remedy May Be Coming Soon
- Alternative Medicine May Help Ease Chronic Sinusitis
- Can Herbs Fight Asthma?
- Chinese Herb Targets Immune System
- Massage May Help Sore Muscles Recover
- Acupuncture May Boost Pregnancy Success Rates
- Acupuncture May Be Effective for Migraines
- Licorice Root May Cut Cavities, Gum Disease
- Spinal Manipulation, Home Exercise May Ease Neck Pain
- Science Probes How Probiotic Yogurts Affect Your Gut
- Supplement May Ease Pain of Hand Osteoarthritis
- Use of Dietary Supplements on the Rise
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine on the Rise
- Is Alternative Medicine Risky for Kids?
- Cancer Treatment: Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Depression: Alternative Therapies for Depression
- Arthritis: Alternative Ways to Easing Arthritis Pain
- Sleep and Menopause
- Sleep Disorders: Alternative Treatments
- Sleep: Tips for Sound Sleep
- Chinese Diet Pills Dangerous
- FTC Charges Seasilver with Making False and Deceptive Claims
- Alternative Medicine: The Healing Art
- FDA Seizes Ginseng: Pesticides Found
- Cortisol Claims Stopped by FTC
- Herbal Tea Toxic Alert (Star Anise)
- Remedy High in Lead Warning
- Non-Traditional Medicine in America
- Tips: Searching for Credible Health Information in the Internet