Alternative medicine is the healing arts not taught in traditional Western medical schools that promote options to conventional medicine that is taught in these schools. Complementary medicine is different from alternative medicine. Whereas complementary medicine is used together with conventional medicine, alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. Read more: Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Back Pain: 16 Back Pain Truths and Myths
Which mattress is best for back pain? Back pain conditions are very common. Learn the causes of upper and lower back pain. Find...
Lower Back Pain: Symptoms, Stretches, Exercise for Pain Relief
Do you suffer from low back pain? Learn more about common triggers of lower back pain like posture, exercise, and spondylosis....
Natural and Alternative Pet Remedies That Humans Use, Too
Looking for holistic ways to enhance your furry friends' health? Here are some pet-friendly complementary therapies to try.
Related Disease Conditions
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems concentrating, and difficulty controlling impulses. There are three types of ADHD: the predominantly inattentive type, the predominantly hyperactive/impulsive type, and the combined (inattentive, hyperactive, and impulsive) type. Stimulant medications are the most common medication used to treat ADHD.
Quackery of Arthritis
Arthritis patients are sometimes vulnerable to quackery (the business of promoting unproven remedies). These "quick fix" treatments are promoted as cure-alls, but they really have no right to such claims. Consumers should be wary of products that have marketing claims like "will cure," "ancient remedy," "has no side effects," and "revolutionary new scientific breakthrough." Read about arthritis remedies and tests that have no scientific proof of benefits.
Lower Back Pain
There are many causes of back pain. Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the spine and discs, spinal cord and nerves, muscles of the low back, internal organs of the pelvis and abdomen, and the skin covering the lumbar area.
Cervical Cancer (Cancer of the Cervix)
Cervical cancer is cancer of the entrance to the womb (uterus) caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). Regular pelvic exams, Pap testing and screening can detect precancerous changes in the cervix. Cervical cancer can be prevented by a vaccine. The most common signs and symptoms are an increase in vaginal discharge, painful sex, and postmenopausal bleeding. The prognosis and survival rate depends upon the stage at which the cancer was diagnosed.
Chronic pain is pain (an unpleasant sense of discomfort) that persists or progresses over a long period of time. In contrast to acute pain that arises suddenly in response to a specific injury and is usually treatable, chronic pain persists over time and is often resistant to medical treatments.
Alternative Treatment for MS (CAM for MS)
The term alternative therapy, in general, is used to describe any medical treatment or intervention that has not been scientifically documented or identified as safe or effective for a specific condition. Alternative therapy encompasses a variety of disciplines that range from diet and exercise to mental conditioning to lifestyle changes.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to ADHD. Symptoms of ADHD in teens include inattention, hyperactivity/impulsivity, or a combination of these. Treatment may include cognitive behavioral therapy, behavior therapy, medication, or alternative therapies.
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver cancer often arises due to liver damage, cirrhosis (scarring) caused by alcohol use/abuse, hepatitis B, or hepatitis C. Liver cancer may not cause any symptoms. Liver cancer is diagnosed with blood tests, imaging tests, and a liver biopsy. Treatment for liver cancer may include surgery, ablation, embolization, radiation, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy.
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Herb Danger - Aristolochic Acid Warning
- Depression - St. John's Wort
- Drugs Distributed On The Internet Without Controls
- Hypnosis In Medicine
- Hot Flashes: Anxiety Worsens Hot Flashes
- Vertigo, Not an Easy Diagnosis
- What Is the Di Bella Cancer Cure?
- Nine Ways to Spot Health Scams and Quackery
- Herbs: Toxicities and Drug Interactions
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Is Arthritis Pain Relief as Close as Your Spice Rack?
- Coronavirus Alternative Treatments: Can Traditional Chinese Medicine and Herbs Help?
- Health Tip: Benefits of Massage
- The Safer Way to Ease Post-Surgical Pain
- Many Cancer Patients Take Alternative Meds But Don't Tell Their Doctors
- Yoga, Meditation Surging in Popularity in U.S.
- New Nerve Stimulation Technique Might Relieve Back Pain
- For Pain Relief, Why Not Try Drug-Free Alternatives
- Acupuncture: A New Look at an Ancient Remedy
- Cancer Survival Drops With Complementary Therapy: Study
- U.S. Teens Embracing Alternative Meds. Is That a Healthy Trend?
- Trumps Signs Bill Allowing Terminal Patients to Try Unproven Medicines
- No Evidence Acupuncture Boosts Fertility Treatment
- Health Tip: Is Hand Therapy Right For You?
- Is Integrative Medicine Right for You?
- Sauna Sessions May Be as Good as Exercise for the Heart
- FDA Gets Tough With Homeopathic Medicines
- For a Colicky Baby, You Might Give Acupuncture a Try
- Certain Parents More Likely to Skip Kids' Flu Shot
- Health Tip: Meditation Can Help You Relax
- Alternative Medicine Taking Hold Among Americans: Report
- Many Breast Cancer Patients Try Alternative Medicine First: Study
- 1 in 6 Seniors Takes Dangerous Combos of Meds, Supplements: Study
- Transcendental Meditation May Help Relieve PTSD
- Health Tip: Meditation May Help Your Heart
- Many Seniors With Cancer Use Alternative Medicines: Study
- Many Don't Tell Docs About Using Alternative Therapies for Pain
- FDA Weighs Tighter Regulation of Homeopathic Medicines
- Acupuncture Less Effective for Skeptics
- Acupuncture May Not Help Chronic Knee Pain, Study Finds
- U.S. Pledges Millions to Study Ways to Ease Soldiers' Pain
- Health Tip: Getting a Massage?
- Yoga, Meditation May Help Dementia Patients and Caregivers Alike
- Yoga Big on West Coast, Chiropractors Popular in Midwest
- Experts Warn About Skin Cancer 'Treatments' Sold Online
- Making Acupuncture Even Safer
- What Yoga Can and Can't Do for You
- Ear Acupuncture May Hold Promise for Weight Loss
- Health Tip: Practicing Tai Chi
- Fish Oil Pills Might Cut Diabetes Risk, Researchers Say
- Exercise, Alternative Therapies May Help Lower Blood Pressure
- Steer Clear of 'Miracle Cures,' Other Bogus Health Products: FDA
- Acupuncture May Help Ease Hay Fever
- Aromatherapy Linked to Benefits and Harms
- Transcendental Meditation May Lower Heart Risk
- Acupuncture Might Ease Fatigue Linked to Breast Cancer
- Controversial Alternative Heart Treatment Shows Hint of Benefit
- Hypnosis May Ease Hot Flashes in Postmenopausal Women
- Hypnosis Halts Hot Flashes for Some Women
- Acupuncture Pain Relief Is Real, Researchers Say
- 'Mindful' Meditation Tied to Healthy Brain Changes: Study
- Chinese Herb Kudzu May Help Drinkers Cut Down
- Aromatherapy: More Than Just a Pleasant Scent?
- Herbal Remedy Ingredient Tied to Cancer, Kidney Failure
- DNA Testing Finds Allergens, Toxins in Traditional Chinese Medicines
- Alternative Therapies Aren't Used as Substitutes for Asthma Meds: Study
- Thyme's Time as an Acne Remedy May Be Coming Soon
- Alternative Medicine May Help Ease Chronic Sinusitis
- Can Herbs Fight Asthma?
- Chinese Herb Targets Immune System
- Massage May Help Sore Muscles Recover
- Acupuncture May Boost Pregnancy Success Rates
- Acupuncture May Be Effective for Migraines
- Licorice Root May Cut Cavities, Gum Disease
- Spinal Manipulation, Home Exercise May Ease Neck Pain
- Science Probes How Probiotic Yogurts Affect Your Gut
- Supplement May Ease Pain of Hand Osteoarthritis
- Use of Dietary Supplements on the Rise
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine on the Rise
- Is Alternative Medicine Risky for Kids?
- Depression: Alternative Therapies for Depression
- Arthritis: Alternative Ways to Easing Arthritis Pain
- Sleep and Menopause
- Sleep Disorders: Alternative Treatments
- Sleep: Tips for Sound Sleep
- Chinese Diet Pills Dangerous
- FTC Charges Seasilver with Making False and Deceptive Claims
- Alternative Medicine: The Healing Art
- FDA Seizes Ginseng: Pesticides Found
- Cortisol Claims Stopped by FTC
- Herbal Tea Toxic Alert (Star Anise)
- Remedy High in Lead Warning
- Non-Traditional Medicine in America