Patient Comments: Alpha Thalassemia - Diagnosis

How was your alpha thalassemia diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Debo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a blood clot in my left lung 4 years ago. There was no source for the clot (travel, plane, injury, meds, etc.). I was referred by my primary doctor to a hematologist. Numerous blood tests came back and proved to be alpha thalassemia. I am on anticoagulant medications for life. I am 49 years old. I never knew this existed.

Comment from: Nick, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

When I went to special hematology they discovered I have alpha thalassemia. My blood platelets are flat and not round. That it was found in most Pacific Islanders. I was always tired and short of breath. I look great at 55 and maybe should start taking Iron supplements.

Comment from: JEDOBEAR, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I've always been easily tired. It got to the point where it affected my endurance at work. I went and had a blood test for everything including deficiency in vitamins & minerals, particularly iron, calcium and vitamin D and thyroid hormone levels. The results came back normal, except my hemoglobin levels were low. I went in for another blood test to look at my blood cells in particular and it explained the results. That's how I found out I had alpha thalassemia!

Comment from: Bee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I found I had alpha thalassemia when I was in college. I had a very high fever and fainted while my friends were taking me to the emergency room. The doctor said I have a thalassemia trait. Then I had many chances to do blood work on my own blood in school, which I learned about all aspects of it from having low hemoglobin levels to seeing the distorted shapes of my own red blood cells.

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I was diagnosed with alpha thalassemia when I want to the doctor and took a blood test because my platelets were a little high.

Comment from: hap91801, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

Thalassemia was diagnosed through lab results after I was rushed to the emergency room after having an episode of syncope.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's General Health Newsletter