- What other names is Alpha-gpc known by?
- What is Alpha-gpc?
- How does Alpha-gpc work?
- Are there safety concerns?
- Are there any interactions with medications?
- Dosing considerations for Alpha-gpc.
soy and other plants breaks down. It is used as medicine.
In Europe alpha-GPC is a prescription medication for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. It is available in two forms; one is taken by mouth, and the other is given as a shot. In the United States alpha-GPC is only available as a dietary supplement, mostly in products promoted to improve memory.
Other uses for alpha-GPC include treatment of various kinds of dementia, stroke, and "mini-stroke" (transient ischemic attack, TIA). Alpha-GPC is also used for improving memory, thinking skills, and learning.
Insufficient Evidence to Rate Effectiveness for...
- Alzheimer's disease. Developing research suggests that taking 1200 mg of alpha-GPC per day significantly improves thinking skills in Alzheimer's patients after 3 to 6 months of treatment.
- Dementia. Giving 1000 mg of alpha-GPC per day as a shot might improve symptoms of vascular (multi-infarct) dementia including behavior, mood, and thinking skills. Researchers who did this study used a prescription-only form of alpha-GPC (Delecit) that is not available in the US.
- Stroke and "mini-stroke" (transient ischemic attack, TIA). Stroke and TIA patients who receive alpha-GPC within 10 days after the stroke or TIA seem to have a better recovery. Early research suggests that people who get 1200 mg of alpha-GPC per day as a shot for 28 days, followed by 400 mg of alpha-GPC three times daily (1200 mg/day) by mouth for 6 months, recover more thinking skills and are better able to function.
- Improving memory.
- Thinking skills.
- Other conditions.
Quick GuideVitamin D Deficiency: How Much Vitamin D Is Enough?
heartburn, headache, insomnia, dizziness, skin rash, and confusion.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of alpha-GPC during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Scopolamine (Transderm Scop)
Interaction Rating: Minor Be cautious with this combination.
Talk with your health provider.
Alpha-GPC increases a chemical in the brain called acetylcholine. Scopolamine blocks this same chemical. But it's not known if alpha-GPC decreases the benefits of scopolamine.
Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate (detailed description of each of the ratings).
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.