Patient Comments: Alopecia Areata - Effective Treatments

What treatments have been effective for your alopecia areata?

Comment from: Mum3, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 09

My son turns 3 in a month's time. When he was only 18 months old I noticed bald patches in his hair, and as the weeks went by they were getting bigger. Then one afternoon he had a nap, and as he woke up all his hair was left on his pillow. We are trying for our general physician (GP) to refer us to a specialist but it's proving harder than we expected. Our GP has told us that it is alopecia areata but we haven't had so much as a blood test, I'm desperate for some answers.

Comment from: Ejaz Jilani malik, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 23

My granddaughter, 13 years, is a patient of alopecia areata since 7 years. Her hair of head, body and eyebrow has been completely lost. She is under regular treatment and since there is no effect the whole family is much worried about her. She is very good in her education and now she is facing a complex and hesitates to mix with others.

Comment from: Salah, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I developed alopecia areata 29 months ago. It started when I had Sertraline and Sulpiride antidepressant.

Comment from: Ana, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My son has been suffering from alopecia areata for 3 years. I have done many cures for him but nothing with good results. First time a dermatologist gave my son 10 mg/day prednisolone, 5 mg/week methotrexate, 5 mg/week Folsafe. After one month therapy everything was ok, my son gained back all the hair, and in the third month, the hair began to fall. I repeated the same cure one year after. It was the same situation. Now he has nothing unfortunately.

Comment from: nk186, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have alopecia areata and I have yet to go to the doctor to do blood tests, but I noticed a small bald patch on top of my head a year ago and I did nothing. Then this year it looked bigger so I started to massage my head at night and twice a week use an oil therapy that I massage into my head and sleep with. The next morning I shower and my hair feels soft and my scalp feels good. The oil treatment consists of jojoba oil, coconut oil, almond oil and tea tree oil. Within two months I noticed little tiny hairs growing. I am not sure if this will work for everyone but I do believe for some this disease is a sign of a malnourished scalp. Massage the spot in the shower and before bed. Hope it works for you.

Comment from: Laura, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 27 and I got alopecia when I was 23 years old. I couldn't stop crying and then a friend of mine offered to take me to go see a doctor and I was told most people get it because of stress that our body feels and hits areas on our head. Being a girl I think it's more stressful because we have long hair and sometimes my spots became noticeable even if I used pony tails. I was given a lotion and some zinc and iron tablets and tried OTC shampoos as Folicure/Pony/Chile and I even used iodine. The doctor told me to rub iodine around it then use the lotion that was given and I had best results with the Folicure shampoo products. I buy them at HEB; they even have tablets and oils and powders and vitamins, all for the hair loss and you'll see awesome results. My doctor told me I can try getting on a diet too and to walk every day and relax and to try to not let things bother me so much.

Comment from: Beth03, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I'm a 23 year old woman and I discovered I small patch of alopecia areata on the side of my head about a year ago. I went to the doctor got the shot treatment but it made it worse. Now the area looks and feels really sensitive. I have tried oils and cream but it seems like it is getting worse, nothing has helped.

Alopecia Areata - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms of your alopecia areata?
Alopecia Areata - Patterns Question: What type or pattern of alopecia areata have you experienced?