Patient Comments: Allergies - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your allergies? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: cleo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

My allergy symptoms started with swollen upper lip. Then I began feeling dryness on the lip, then after two days dryness in the throat. I am still investigating the foods or activity consumed or done.

Comment from: VaLady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 23

I went to visit family out of state and slept on the sofa because my cousin and wife needed to sleep in the bedroom when they arrived. I fell asleep in my traveling clothes on the sofa and during the night I felt like something crawled on me but I was too tired to do anything more than brush my arm. Next morning I got up to take a shower and just happened to look up at the ceiling and saw what I thought might be a bedbug. The next day I started to get itchy on my arms near my wrists. Initially thought it was mosquitoes. Then the person who I stayed with told me she had them in her room. I immediately got upset. I went in her room and they were all over the walls. Needless to say, I left. I was so paranoid of taking them home. When I arrived back to my house I got undressed in the garage and put all my clothing in the dryer; even the delicate ones. Bites were on both arms, my back, and my neck. And the itch was terrible. I'm still worried they may be in my car so, I'm going to get traps just in case.

Comment from: Bhgal71, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

Epstein-Barr virus infection caused high elevated liver enzymes, enlarged liver, enlarged spleen, and enlarged gallbladder. Neutrophils were very low, white blood counts extremely low, I was dehydrated, had fluctuation of fever up and down, night sweats, was extremely fatigued, had fluid on outside of both lungs (probably from no activity or exercise), sleepless nights, sore throat, stuffy head, as well as mononucleosis and cytomegalovirus. I spent couple nights in the hospital, and couple nights in the emergency room for IVs from dehydration. Currently I have been sick two weeks and not released to even think about work for a month.

Comment from: bilirubin, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

My cystic self did not show its ugly face until I was diagnosed with a cystic tumor occupying almost all of my left kidney. At present 10/3/16, the remaining kidney is at least 20 percent home to 3 or 4 cystic tumors. Treatment for this kidney's condition is in debate at present. My history of facial skin conditions has never been an issue, until multi-cystic kidney disease has developed. Cysts, and not just acne have also reared their ugly heads on my face. It must be connected, probably along with nerves.

Comment from: cats&dogs, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 18

I took two Valium pills prescribed by my doctor 45 minutes before to lessen anxiety, but they did not do a thing. The testing doctor says ok, the lidocaine will take effect so you will only have to get through the first needle then it will be numb. Wrong, the lidocaine did not work either. I am apparently immune to most pain easing drugs and I really needed them because I am very anxious about medical procedures. The slight pressure as the spinal tap is done is very misleading if you are feeling all the nerve endings screaming. It was a deep ache that made me almost nauseous and every time they moved or relocated the needle it was agony. I told the doctor at one point it felt like he hit my left kidney and he seemed to think it was humorous and just said 'gee, I hope not!' It didn't seem to matter that I was extremely upset with the whole thing. I guess I'm just very unlucky in that neither Valium (my sister says it does not work on her either) or the lidocaine is effective on me. I have had IV Valium for dental procedures before that did work beautifully, so never dreamed the pill form wouldn't do just as well. It was the longest 1/2 hour of my life.

Comment from: drifty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I have had interstitial cystitis (IC) for about 8 to 10 years. No real urinary problems until the doctor inserted a small dose of Botox into my bladder back in February 2015 to help with the IC. I've had no improvement with the IC like some folks that had the Botox injection. So now it's a year and a half since the Botox and I didn't have any incontinence problems until the Botox. My urologist doesn't understand why the Botox caused this problem. He said the Botox dose he gave me was just a small amount and would usually wear off in about 4 months. The Incontinence has been a real negative life change.

Comment from: Mark Ranger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Severe muscle-crush of legs induced low potassium until treatment after 3 years. I lost everything; businesses, home, family, friends. Later struggling in a hot country, Australia, to recoup some of my losses I lost potassium through high perspiration. I drank some 12 liters daily. I suffered severe symptoms; confusion, fatigue, arrhythmia, atrial fibrillation, clots, nerve damage, muscle pain, trembling, collapsed libido, and delayed tissue repair. This has prevented me from achieving much but failure in the face of determined struggle over 27 years. Yes I have self-medicated for 7 weeks and am recovering.

Comment from: Parge, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

So pleased to know there are other people around with the same problem. Having put in my symptoms, it came up with costochondritis, and I had never heard of it before. I was convinced it was to do with my stomach, having had problems before with gastritis. I had been moving furniture and painting walls, etc. And now I realize that I had put a strain on my ribs. I couldn't stand wearing a bra and also I wasn't feeling hungry when my stomach was inflamed. I was told just to take paracetamol as I cannot take ibuprofen. I also had pains around my midriff and back. So now I will lay off the decorating! Was glad I went to the doctors who confirmed the diagnosis!

Comment from: capodad, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

It started about 5 years ago and only maybe once a year. My allergy symptoms are on one side only one eye will start rapid tears and I have continual tearing and nasal drip, and nonstop sneezing. It's very strange how it only affects one side of my face. Symptoms last about 2 days usually, and then disappear for maybe a year. It seems very intense at the time and I have no other health issues. The first time was when I went up to the mountains. I live at the beach. It started again yesterday afternoon while I was working in a nearby town and continued this morning only upon awakening and rising. At first I thought I developed hay fever, but I'm beginning to think it's related to change in barometric pressure. It's very sporadic in nature; its late October now.

Comment from: albertn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

The symptom pattern with every attack of itching allergy is: Severe cold and fever for 2 - 3 hours (shaking) followed by a day of sore body (typical flu symptoms) followed by severe itching all over the body under the skin (no rashes) for a day, followed by burning sensation in my hand, palms, and feet soles and redness with red spots under the skin at night time. Heat and warm clothes aggravate the symptoms and cold water alleviates the severity temporarily. The first attacks started in winter July 2013. Doctors eventually found gallstone blockage and removed my gallbladder. All went well and then same symptoms started again in June 2014. Nothing so far has helped for the itching or the hand/feet burning. It is very severe and don't know what to do anymore.

Comment from: A Chronic Sufferer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I get skin allergy, i.e. itching, practically anywhere and most parts even all over body, any time, under any conditions, i.e. hot and dry; hot and moist; cold and dry; cold and wet; over bare or covered parts; while sleeping or awake; sweating or dry. Under similar circumstances I may be feeling good at one time and develop allergy another time. It can be very acute and disturbing, even painful. Cetirizine 10mg may be helpful some time. At another time even 60mg of same may not help. Even Allegra 120mg dose may be helpful once but no effect at another time. Have had various tests done in India, Germany, UK, etc., but without conclusions. Problem was there from the day I can remember as a child.

Comment from: sneezy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I have never had any problem with allergies, but I spent 2 days continually sneezing. Both eyes tearing up as though crying. I"m 53. I feel bad for those who have suffered through this for more years than myself. As trivial as sneezing may sound, it was horrible.

Comment from: sushila, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

From March 2013 I started taking Thyronorm 100 mg tablets for hypothyroid. From the next day onwards my whole body started itching. I consulted my doctor, he said to go to a skin specialist. The skin specialist gave a cream and medicine for 15 days. Till the time I was on medication there was relief from itching but as the medico got over it has again stated itching and it is very severe. I am confused what to do. Before taking thyroid medico I had never had this problem of itching.

Comment from: cg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have swollen lower lip (center of lip) and cheek because of allergies.

Comment from: bnt32, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I am a diabetic patient, l was told that my heart was covered with fats, so I bought herbal drugs. After taking the herbs for a few days, I developed rash at the left side of my lungs and it is very painful.

Comment from: bug, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

Two days ago my eyes were streaming tears. I felt great otherwise and did not feel like I was getting a cold. Yesterday I developed a swelling under my eye. I tried icing to get swelling down and cleaned everywhere, even washed my blanket and washed the molding down. A smaller swelling developed under my eyelid both just appearing under my right eye. Today after taking a warm shower the tears reappeared which I did not have yesterday. I don"t know if this is just allergies or something more serious.

Comment from: karen, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 28

My granddaughter, who is 4 has a recurring rash/blisters that appear all the time. She scratches these until they bleed. Today my daughter called after taking her to the general physician (GP), she has blisters in her buttocks and her front, and this happens a lot. The GP has sent an urgent letter to dermatology and needs to do a fasting blood test, he has mentioned diabetes. Both my daughter and son-in-law have eczema and asthma and the mother in law on the dad's side has a lot of allergies.

Comment from: zymzabob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 31

I have dealt with allergies to everything from animals to grass and pollen since I was 5 years old. In my adult years, I have noticed that, while still sensitive to certain things year round, my biggest problem is from late summer until the first good frost of the season. During this time, my primary symptom is flu/cold-like. While I have minor sneezing and itchy eyes issues during this time, the biggest problem is the feeling of fatigue, sleepiness and body aches. Does anyone know of medication(s) for allergies that treat these symptoms? It seems like most allergy meds treat sneezing, coughing, congestion and itching symptoms, but nothing for fatigue and body aches that I experience annually from late summer through late fall.

Comment from: lei, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I have large pimples and itchiness on my face.

Comment from: peteypete, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Itching, scratching, redness and swelling.

Comment from: frank, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

Redness on my skin, face, and scalp.

Comment from: TK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Heavy swelling of the eyes. Below the eyes and eyelids.

Comment from: Ora, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

Each morning until Mucinex begins to work, I am spitting up blobs of mucus, and I can't stop coughing. Then, after it wears off (12 hours later), the mucus and the coughing return. Before it begins to work my eyes are swollen, my face (across the eyes nose) feels swollen and bloated. I don't have energy; sometimes I have a hard time breathing. I know that I have an allergy to smoke, dust, and some animals. Out of the many things that I have used, MucinexD is the only one that stops the mucus and the coughing.

Comment from: CarolH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

All of a sudden I have swollen lip (alternately bottom or top lip - never both at the same time). Also eye would be swollen shut (again one at a time). I've always had sensitive skin to soaps, lotions, etc. causing skin rash or "both" eyes reacting but this is something different. We were away for three days and I was fine. I was home for about 6 hours and all of a sudden I felt my upper lip blowing up to about 4 times its thin size! It's feels like when the dentist numbs you and you try to drink - you dribble all over. This is driving me crazy.

Comment from: studio1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Two days ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with extreme itching all over my body. It got so bad that I had to go to the pharmacy and bought Benadryl and some type of topic Anti-Itch gel that really didn't work. Earlier that day I had trail mix that contained almonds and walnuts. I have never been allergic to nuts or anything for that matter in my life. Some people say that stress brings on allergic reactions in people but I have dealt with that in the past with no problems. After going to the doctor this morning with welts and horrible itching, he prescribed Claritin and Prednisone.

Comment from: Allergic to grass, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

Red, itchy eyes, sinuses, feeling sleepy and flu like symptoms, until I took a blood test l did not know that l was allergic to grass. This had affected me since childhood and unfortunately my five year old son is also allergic to dust mites. My late father was asthmatic.

Comment from: crow., 55-64 Male Published: June 21

After eating some pork with a seasoning on it I had a allergic reaction. A few minutes later I had a hard time breathing, my jaw felt like someone hit me, and I've got a major headache.

Comment from: Tayer, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

Food allergies, which I realized were from mostly processed foods, stomach cramps, hives on stomach,legs and hands. Nickel allergies to a piercing itching, stinging, contact dematitis.

Comment from: abush, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

When my allergies act up I ghave itchy skin, red bumps, swollen eyes and lips.

Comment from: Dee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I have esophageal spasms and hives on my torso and arms. I have allergies to other things but have never had a reaction like this.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

My allergy symptoms started this past summer. I noticed I would feel hot to the point of sweating. My skin would burn, get red and start to itch. Wherever I would scratch would instantly swell and look like hives that would spread. Now it's winter, it's still happening, but I haven't found the cause.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 25

Our daughter now 7 has an abundance of allergies. Dust mites and animal dander are high on the list. She had had a scratch test many years ago. (3) Her environment around the home she primarily lives has mold surrounding bathroom vent, dog and cat urine and feces infested carpet, dust that is one inch thick, the carpet in not vacuumed, her stuff animals are not washed, her bedding is not covered properly and mattresses are older than 5 years old.

Comment from: Joy, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I am allergic to anything with a sulfur base in it. I ate grapes that I didn't know to be treated with Sulfur Dioxide. I had a major outbreak of hives. My face, hands, and feet swelled up. When this happened I began to experience extreme pain from the joints around the swollen areas. I also felt sick to my stomach and could not eat. During the whole thing from beginning to end I was a terrible itchy mess.

Comment from: Genz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I have skin eruptions, sinus, and itchiness in the eyes, nose and ears. At times my chest feels very itchy and I cough and sneeze even when I have not caught a cold.

Comment from: rex, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 13

It starts with itchy eyes and then my face swells up. I get launched into an all day sneeze fest that lasts about 12 hours or more. I sneeze so much and so hard my shoulders and back begin to hurt. I sneezed over 200 times yesterday, each time worse than the last. I'm incapacitated when this happens and no medicine works. I've heard that it has something to do with the change in weather and pressure in the air.

Comment from: Sam, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

With my allergies, my left eye area including eyebrow and upper lid get swollen making my left eye half close. At first it appeared as if a mosquito had bitten it. The swelling disappeared after a few hours to appear again after four days, but this time it was more pronounced but again it went away. After four days it has again appeared but it is more pronounced, spreading and slightly itchy. Is it hives? I took levocetirizine, but without any appreciable effect.

Comment from: groovy3, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I get an irritated throat and cough, with inability to catch my breath around certain odors or smells, i.e. colognes, perfumes, incence, candles, and room deodorizers.

Comment from: hrp, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 11 years old and skin problems are terrible. They are all over my head and legs. I can't help but to scratch them until I bleed.

Subscribe to MedicineNet's Allergy and Asthma Newsletter