- Take the Leukemia Quiz!
- 15 Cancer Symptoms Women Ignore Slideshow
- Cancer Symptoms Men Ignore Slideshow
- What is alemtuzumab-injectable, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Is alemtuzumab-injectable available as a generic drug?
- Do I need a prescription for alemtuzumab-injectable?
- What are the uses for alemtuzumab-injectable?
- What are the side effects of alemtuzumab-injectable?
- What is the dosage for alemtuzumab-injectable?
- Which drugs or supplements interact with alemtuzumab-injectable?
- Is alemtuzumab-injectable safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
- What else should I know about alemtuzumab-injectable?
What is alemtuzumab-injectable, and how does it work (mechanism of action)?
- Alemtuzumab is an injectable drug used for the treatment of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (B-CLL). People with CLL have too many of a type of white blood cell called lymphocytes in the blood and bone marrow. Alemtuzumab is an antibody that targets a protein called CD52 that is found on the surface of the lymphocytes. Alemtuzumab attaches to lymphocytes and then activates the immune system to help kill the lymphocytes.
- The FDA approved alemtuzumab in May, 2001.
What are the uses for alemtuzumab-injectable?
Alemtuzumab is used alone for the treatment of B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia (B-CLL)
What is the dosage for alemtuzumab-injectable?
- Alemtuzumab is given by intravenous infusion over 2 hours. The dose should be gradually increased to the recommended dose of 30 mg/day three times per week for 12 weeks.
- Medications that should be given during alemtuzumab therapy to prevent side effects and infections include oral antihistamines, acetaminophen (Tylenol), trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole DS (Bactrim DS), and famciclovir (Famvir).
Is alemtuzumab-injectable safe to take if I'm pregnant or breastfeeding?
What else should I know about alemtuzumab-injectable?
What preparations of alemtuzumab-injectable are available?
Injection (single use vial): 30 mg/vial
How should I keep alemtuzumab-injectable stored?
Alemtuzumab should be stored at 2 C to 8 C (36 F to 46 F), protected from light, and not frozen. If frozen, thaw to 2 to 8 C before administration.
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Understanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Learn the basics about cancer including types, causes, how it spreads, symptoms and signs, stages and treatment options. Read...
Top 10 Cancers Quiz
Take this quiz to learn the causes of cancer. Get the facts about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for the world's most...
Leukemia Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
What do you know about leukemia? Did you know there are different types? What are the symptoms? Take the Leukemia Quiz and test...
Cancer-Fighting Foods in Pictures: Resveratrol, Green Tea, and More
Experts have praised certain foods for their ability to reduce cancer risks. Learn which foods and eating strategies may help...
Related Disease Conditions
Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Second Source article from Government...
Cancer fatigue is a lack of energy that is caused by cancer or cancer treatment, including chemotherapy, radiation, biological...
Cancer pain results from the tumor pressing on nerves or invading bones or organs. Cancer treatments like chemotherapy,...
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.