Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence, have unprotected sex, and use other drugs, like marijuana, cocaine, and heroin. Symptoms of alcohol abuse in teens include lying, breaking curfew, becoming verbally or physically abusive toward others, making excuses, smelling like alcohol, having mood swings, and stealing. Read more: Alcohol and Teens Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Alcohol Quiz: Alcoholism & Health Effects
Take the Alcohol (Alcoholism) Quiz to learn how your alcohol is processed by your body and your brain....
Drinks & Beverages Quiz: Test Your IQ
Drink to your health! Take the Drinks & Beverages Quiz to learn how your favorite drinks can impact your life, your behavior, and...
Addicted to Pills: The Health Risks of Drug Abuse
What is drug abuse? Learn about prescription drug abuse and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, including depressants, pain relievers,...
Teen Drug Abuse: Warning Signs, Statistics, and Facts
Teen drug abuse is a growing concern today. Learn statistics, facts, warning signs, and effects related to teen substance abuse...
Hangover Myths Slideshow: Hangover Cures, Herbal Remedies, Hair of the Dog, and More
Learn ways to avoid a hangover, create morning-after remedies, and other widely held hangover beliefs....
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Related Disease Conditions
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Date Rape Drugs
Date rape drugs such as GHB, rohypnol, and ketamine are sometimes used to assist in a sexual assault. Symptoms and signs of...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Mental Illness in Children
About 5 million children and adolescents in the U.S. suffer from a serious mental illness such as eating disorders, anxiety...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Hyothermia or extreme exposure to cold can be classified as either accidental hypothermia (unintentional cold exposure) and...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Stress Management Techniques
Stress may be considered as any physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental unrest and that may be a...
Childhood ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Children)
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) causes the following symptoms in children: excessive activity, problems...
Depression in teenagers may be caused by many factors. Symptoms of teen depression include apathy, irresponsible behavior,...
Depression in Children
Childhood depression can interfere with social activities, interests, schoolwork and family life. Symptoms and signs include...
Approximately 40 million children suffer abuse every year around the world, and more than 1,500 children die of abuse in the U.S....
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
13 Tips for Parenting a Teen With ADHD
Parenting a teenager who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can be challenging. Parents can use specific...
Smoking (How to Quit Smoking)
Smoking is an addiction. More than 430,000 deaths occur each year in the U.S. from smoking related illnesses. Secondhand smoke or...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Get the latest marijuana statistics and information. Learn its effects and how this drug, also known as pot, affects the brain....
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Bipolar Disorder in Children and Teens
Bipolar disorder, or manic-depressive illness, is a disorder that causes unusual and extreme mood changes. Symptoms of bipolar...
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in Teens
Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in teens is a disruption of neurocognitive functioning. Genetics contribute to...
Good parenting helps foster empathy, honesty, self-reliance, self-control, kindness, cooperation, and cheerfulness, says...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Juvenile Bone Health
Setting a good example for your children when it comes to diet and exercise will help them to make healthy decisions about...
Alcohol and Teens - Personal Experience
At what age did you start drinking? Was peer pressure a contributing factor? Please share your story.Post
Alcohol and Teens - Signs and Symptoms
What were the signs and symptoms associated with alcohol intoxication in you, a friend or your child?Post
Alcohol and Teens - Parental Prevention
As a parent of a teen, how do you try to prevent alcohol use and/or abuse?Post
Alcohol and Teens - Causes and Risks
If known, what were the risk factors for developing alcoholism as a teenager?Post
Alcohol and Teens - Treatment
What kinds of treatment were helpful in treating your teen alcohol problems?Post
Alcohol and Teens - Help for Teens
Was there a counselor, group, or organization that helped you with your alcohol problems? Please share your experience.Post
Treatment & Diagnosis
Medications & Supplements
- hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- naltrexone hcl - oral
- Antabuse (disulfiram) for Treating Alcoholism
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- Alprazolam vs. Diazepam (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- acamprosate calcium delayed-release - oral, Campral
Prevention & Wellness
- How Much Alcohol Is Really OK?
- Smart Kids Prone to Dumb Choices on Pot, Booze
- Tougher Alcohol Laws Mean Fewer Young People Killed on the Road
- TV Booze Ads a Lubricant for Teen Drinking: Study
- Keep Illicit Drugs, Booze Out of the Home to Lower Teens' Addiction Risk: Study
- Mental Illness May Make Teens Vulnerable to Drugs, Alcohol
- The Older the Drinking Age, the Lower the Illness Rates?
- Middle Schoolers Exposed to Alcohol Ads Every Day: Study
- Jello Shots While Underage, Bigger Booze Problems Later?
- Alcohol Sales Dropped After Maryland Raised Liquor Tax
- Homemade 'Dewshine' Can Be Deadly
- Teens Who Tan Indoors May Be More Likely to Smoke, Drink, Use Drugs: Study
- Alcohol Ads Should Be a No-See on TV for Kids
- Others' Drug, Alcohol Use May Trigger Bad Behavior in Teens
- Many Teens Knowingly Ride With Drunk Drivers, Survey Finds
- Teens Swayed by Alcohol Ads
- Lower Drinking Age May Bring More High School Dropouts
- Fewer U.S. Teens Abusing Alcohol, Prescription Meds: Survey
- Many Teens With Chronic Illnesses Use Alcohol, Pot
- Some Sobering Stats on Kids and Drinking
- Kids Exposed to Lots of Alcohol Ads While Watching Sports on TV
- Over 4 Million Americans Say They've Driven Drunk in Prior Month: CDC
- Teen Drinking, Smoking on the Decline, U.S. Study Finds
- Underage Drinking Down in Past Decade
- Boozing in Movies May Boost Teen Drinking
- Flavored Booze Beverages Tied to Higher Injury Risk in Teens
- TV Alcohol Ads Tied to Problem Drinking for Teens, Study Finds
- Alcohol, Pot Fuel Half of Young Driver Deaths, Report Finds
- Alcohol Poisoning Kills 6 Americans Every Day, CDC Says
- Health Tip: Help Teens Set Healthy Resolutions
- Health Tip: Too Much Alcohol Can Cause Problems
- Close Friends May Be Key to Teens' Drinking
- 'Social Host' Laws May Help Curb Underage Drinking, Study Says
- As Pot Use Rises, Teens' Grades May Fall: Study
- Binge Drinking May Boost Blood Pressure in Young Men
- Younger Age at First Drink, Higher Odds for Problem Drinking: Study
- Young Driver's Gender May Play Role in Timing, Type of Crash
- Counseling Does Little to Deter Youth Drinking, Review Finds
- Teen Drinkers Risking Their Lives: Study
- Health Tip: Is Your Teen Abusing Alcohol?
- Underage Binge Drinkers Grab the Hard Stuff, Survey Finds
- Almost 1 in 20 Young Teens Binge Drinks, Canadian Study Finds
- Substance Use at School Could Be Cry for Help
- Health Tip: Talk to Your Kids About Alcohol
- Pot-Booze Combo More Dangerous for Teen Drivers Than Alcohol Alone
- Booze Brands in Pop Lyrics May Spur Teen Drinking, Study Says
- Booze Brands In Pop Lyrics May Spur Teen Drinking
- Parental Messages That Stress No Alcohol Do Get Through, Survey Finds
- Teens Often Copycat Others Who Drink and Drive: Study
- Teens' Energy Drink Habit May Be Linked to Booze, Tobacco, Drug Use
- Bodybuilding Boys Often Try Drugs and Alcohol, Study Finds
- Three-Quarters of U.S. Teens Say They Don't Drink
- Fake ID Use Tied to High-Risk Drinking by Underage Students
- Friends, Family Often the Suppliers in Underage Drinking, Smoking: Survey
- 1 in 5 High School Seniors Binge Drinks: Study
- Friends' Online Photos May Sway Teens' Behavior
- Hundreds of Thousands of Teens Use Pot, Alcohol Each Day: Report
- Health Tip: Underage Drinking is Risky
- Early Discipline Tied to Less Use of Drugs, Alcohol in Teens
- Teen Drinkers, Pot Smokers at Raised Risk of Concussion, Study Says
- Designated Drivers Often Drink Themselves, Study Finds
- Parents Can Influence Teen Drug Use
- Even in Young Adults, Binge Drinking May Harm Circulation
- Drunk Driving Not the Only Way Alcohol Leads to Teen Deaths: Study
- Pre-College Parental Chat May Reduce Freshman Drinking
- Do TV Liquor Ads Drive Kids to Drink?
- Binge Drinking Common Among U.S. Women, Girls: CDC
- Teen Dating Violence Linked to Substance Abuse, Depression
- 1 in 4 in U.S. Starts Drinking Before Turning 21: Report
- Why Some Mothers (Wrongly) Let Kids Try Alcohol
- People More Likely to Guzzle Beer Served in Curved Glasses
- Many Teens Drinking, Taking Drugs During School: Survey
- College Students Who Binge Drink Say They're Happier
- Teens Who Drink, Smoke More Likely to Abuse Painkillers Later: Study
- Brain Scans May Spot Teens at Risk for Problem Drinking
- Booze, Energy Drinks, Casual Sex Combo Common in College: Study
- First-Time Teen Alcohol & Drug Use Peaks in Summer
- Teen Drinkers May Feel Like Social Outcasts: Study
- State Laws Cut Teen Drinking and Driving, Large Study Shows
- Teens Safer Behind Wheel, but Too Many Texting
- Underage Drinkers Can Easily Order Alcohol From the Internet
- Chinese Herb Kudzu May Help Drinkers Cut Down
- Friends' Parents Can Sway Teens' Odds for Drinking, Smoking
- TV Ads May Play Role in Underage Drinking, Obesity
- Teen Impulsiveness Has Different Sources in ADHD, Substance Use
- Teen Drinking May Boost Odds of Precancerous Breast Changes
- ER Docs Can Help Curb Patient Alcohol Abuse, Drunk Driving
- Drug, Alcohol Abuse Common Among U.S. Teens, Study Finds
- Young Women Who Drink and Drive at Higher Risk of Fatal Accident
- Caring Teachers May Help Keep Kids From Trying Alcohol, Drugs
- Excessive Drinking Costs U.S. Colleges Millions Annually
- Spring Break Boozing May Put Young Brains at Risk
- College Women's Condom Use Falls in Freshman Year
- Drinking Scenes in Movies May Spur Teens to Do the Same
- Strict Underage Drinking Laws May Deter Delinquency in Teens
- Booze in Movies May Fuel Teenage Drinking
- Worldwide Illegal Drug Use Estimated at 200 Million People a Year
- Is 27 a Deadly Age for Rock Stars?
- Energy Drinks Send Thousands to the ER Each Year
- Binge Drinking May Affect Memory of Teens
- July 4 Weekend Dangerous for Underage Boys Who Drink: Report
- Even Small Amounts of Alcohol May Impair Driving
- Teen Binge Drinking Linked to Attention Problems
- Superheroes: Bad Role Models for Boys?
- Teen Drinking Linked to Benign Breast Disease
- Teens & Traffic Facts!
- Driving Is Hazardous to Your Health
- New Healthcare for Teens
- Keeping Teens Safe, Locally
- Teenagers: Why Do They Rebel?
- Parenting: 'Just Say No' Isn't Enough
- Alcohol Abuse: Young. Eager. And Drunk
- Who's Watching Our Teens?
- Teens Sex Activity Tied to Drink & Drugs
- Teen Behavior Reflects Teen Brain
- Depression in Young and Teenage Boys
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Depression Newsletter