Alcohol has a big nutritional impact. Therefore, it is important to understand how alcohol is processed by your body in order to appreciate how it affects blood alcohol concentration and blood sugar, impacts weight, and contributes to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Read more: Alcohol and Nutrition Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Foods and Drinks That Trigger Leaky Bladder in Pictures
Certain foods and drinks may be triggers for people with an overactive bladder (also called urinary urge incontinence). Find what...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Drinks & Beverages Quiz: Test Your IQ
Drink to your health! Take the Drinks & Beverages Quiz to learn how your favorite drinks can impact your life, your behavior, and...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
What is liver disease? Take the Liver Disease Quiz and test your knowledge about this organ and its function....
Alcohol Quiz: Alcoholism & Health Effects
Take the Alcohol (Alcoholism) Quiz to learn how your alcohol is processed by your body and your brain....
Foods That Help or Harm Your Sleep With Pictures
Could a good night's sleep come down to your diet? Discover which foods stop sleep and which foods promote restful slumber....
Skinny Sipping: Best and Worst Drinks for Losing Weight in Pictures
From coffee to cocktails, learn which beverages can help or hinder a healthy lifestyle. See the best and worst drinks for weight...
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Top 15 Immune System Boosters
Immune system boosters include foods, supplements, and lifestyle habits to help you fight off infections. A healthy immune system...
The Worst Foods in Your Fridge
What are the worst foods to eat in your fridge? From mayonnaise to ice cream and butter to processed lunch meats, learn about the...
Hangover Myths Slideshow: Hangover Cures, Herbal Remedies, Hair of the Dog, and More
Learn ways to avoid a hangover, create morning-after remedies, and other widely held hangover beliefs....
Skinny Cocktails: Low-Calorie Mojito, Margarita, and More in Pictures
Learn 10 low-calorie alcoholic drink recipes. See how to put your drink on a diet with these skinny mixed-drink recipes including...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or Staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Symptoms and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Restless Leg Syndrome
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Symptoms, Diet, Treatment, and Test
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms of: Abdominal...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Dizziness is a symptom that is often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS)
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a condition that causes pain in the mouth. BMS may be caused by menopause, dry mouth or...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that people get in their late teens or early twenties. Impacted wisdom teeth that only...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colo-rectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Oral Health and Bone Disease
Osteoporosis may be linked to bone loss in the jaw, which in turn, leads to tooth loss. Low bone density may result in...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Urinary Urgency
- Eye Twitch
- Seizure (Epilepsy)
- Nutrition: What You Should Be Eating
- Nutrition: Food Facts and Fiction
- Nutrition Month: How Small Lifestyle Changes Can Make a Big Difference with Susan Borra,
- Nutrition, Weight Control and Great-Tasting Food
- Nutrition: Baby and Beyond
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Putting Wine on a Diet
- Pricey Wines Can Trick Your Brain
- Moms-to-Be Are Heeding Store Warnings About Alcohol
- Daily Glass of Beer, Wine Might Do a Heart Good
- Does a Little Daily Drinking Really Help the Heart?
- Alcohol May Fuel Prostate Cancer Risk
- Heavy Drinking Can Harm the Aging Brain
- Surprise! Beer Makes You Happier, Friendlier
- Who Drinks More -- Couples or Singles?
- Unhealthy Habits May Cost Canadians 6 Years of Life
- Would Weaker Beer Help Reduce Alcohol's Harms?
- Alcohol, Obesity Could Raise Esophageal Cancer Risk
- Coming to a Brew Near You: Calorie Counts, Carbs Info
- Smoke Less, Drink Less?
- Cutting Back on Wine? Try a Smaller Glass
- Moderate Drinking May Be Less Beneficial for Blacks
- Could a Drink a Day Lower Your Risk for Heart Failure?
- Health Tip: Too Much Alcohol Can Cause Problems
- Fewer Bars and Liquor Stores, Less Domestic Violence: CDC
- Binge Drinking May Boost Blood Pressure in Young Men
- For Infertility Treatment, Should He Drink Less Coffee, More Booze?
- A Little Alcohol May Not Be Good for Your Heart After All
- How Much Alcohol In Your Drink? Stronger Beverages Make It Tough to Tell
- Could 'Moderate' Drinking Be Safe During Pregnancy?
- Parents Can Influence Teen Drug Use
- Supplements of Red Wine Antioxidant Don't Help Obese Men
- Alcohol Adds 100 Calories a Day to Our Diet
- Crohn's Disease in Children May Start From Bacteria
- Red Wine Compound May Not Help Healthy Women
- 'Mouth Feel' Makes Wine Go Well With Meat, Study Finds
- Non-Alcoholic Red Wine May Boost Heart Health
- The Health Benefits, and Risks, of Alcohol
- Alcohol May Not Be Kind to the Aging Brain
- Moderate Drinking May Help Older Women's Bones
- Young Men Taking HIV Meds May Be at Risk for Bone Loss
- Even Moderate Exercise Might Cut Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Some Kinds of Red Wine May Not Trigger Migraines
- How That Glass of Red Wine Might Help You Live Longer
- Moderate Drinking Helps Men After Heart Attack?
- Light or Moderate Drinking Linked to Lower Stroke Risk in Women
- Wine Ratings May Be Meaningless for Most People
- Scientists May Be Closer to Developing 'Red Wine' Drug
- Do Grapes or Alcohol Make Red Wine Good for the Heart?
- Light Drinking Over Time May Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- Moderate Alcohol Drinking May Boost Heart Health
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Moderate Drinking Linked to Weight Control
- 28 Tips for Nighttime Heartburn Relief
- 10 Ways to Help Boost Your Good Cholesterol
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Nix the Nightcap for Better Sleep?
- Holiday Happy Hour: Alcohol and Your Diet
- Alcohol Debate: How Drinking Affects Your Health
- Alcohol Impairment Chart
- Alcohol Becomes a Problem
- Alcohol Abuse: Young. Eager. And Drunk
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Alcohol, Some Sobering Facts
- Alcohol, Coffee, Smoking and High Blood Pressure
- Alcohol - Don't Have A 5th On The Fourth!
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Weight Loss/Healthy Living Newsletter