Alcohol has a big nutritional impact. Therefore, it is important to understand how alcohol is processed by your body in order to appreciate how it affects blood alcohol concentration and blood sugar, impacts weight, and contributes to vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Read more: Alcohol and Nutrition Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Diet Mistake Pictures: Crash Diets, High-Calorie Drinks, and More
Discover 10 common diet mistakes that may be preventing you from losing weight. Learn to avoid these diet blunders and watch the...
Food Portion Distortion Quiz: Correct Serving Size
Are your portions deceiving you? Take the Food Portion Distortion Quiz to find out how and why gigantic portions trick you into...
Drinks & Beverages Quiz: Test Your IQ
Drink to your health! Take the Drinks & Beverages Quiz to learn how your favorite drinks can impact your life, your behavior, and...
Diabetes Quiz: Test Your Medical IQ
Take the Diabetes Quiz and learn the causes, signs, symptoms, and types of this growing epidemic. What does diabetes have to do...
Liver Disease Quiz: Fatty Liver Disease, Cirrhosis & Symptoms
What is liver disease? Take the Liver Disease Quiz and test your knowledge about this organ and its function....
Alcohol Quiz: Alcoholism & Health Effects
Take the Alcohol (Alcoholism) Quiz to learn how your alcohol is processed by your body and your brain....
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
Foods and Drinks That Trigger Leaky Bladder in Pictures
Certain foods and drinks may be triggers for people with an overactive bladder (also called urinary urge incontinence). Find what...
Skinny Sipping: Best and Worst Drinks for Losing Weight in Pictures
From coffee to cocktails, learn which beverages can help or hinder a healthy lifestyle. See the best and worst drinks for weight...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Hangover Myths Slideshow: Hangover Cures, Herbal Remedies, Hair of the Dog, and More
Learn ways to avoid a hangover, create morning-after remedies, and other widely held hangover beliefs....
The Worst Foods in Your Fridge
What are the worst foods to eat in your fridge? From mayonnaise to ice cream and butter to processed lunch meats, learn about the...
Skinny Cocktails: Low-Calorie Mojito, Margarita, and More in Pictures
Learn 10 low-calorie alcoholic drink recipes. See how to put your drink on a diet with these skinny mixed-drink recipes including...
Top 15 Immune System Boosters
Immune system boosters include foods, supplements, and lifestyle habits to help you fight off infections. A healthy immune system...
Related Disease Conditions
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...
Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Aureus)
Staphylococcus or staph is a group of bacteria that can cause a multitude of diseases. Staph infections can cause illness...
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Readings, and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Diabetes (Type 1 and Type 2)
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by high levels of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The two types of diabetes are...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
Jet lag (desynchonosis) is a temporary disorder that results from travel across time zones. Symptoms include anxiety,...
Dizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Obesity is the state of being well above one's normal weight. A person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are...
Cancer is a disease caused by an abnormal growth of cells, also called malignancy. It is a group of 100 different diseases, and...
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Diarrhea (Causes, Medicine, Remedies, Treatment)
Diarrhea is a change is the frequency and looseness of bowel movements. Symptoms associated with diarrhea are cramping, abdominal...
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a GI (gastrointestinal) disorder with signs and symptoms that include abdominal pain, bloating,...
Normal vaginal bleeding (menorrhea) occurs through the process of menstruation. Abnormal vaginal bleeding in women who are...
Restless Leg Syndrome (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Medications, Home Remedies)
Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a common cause for painful legs that typically eases with motion, and becomes worse and more...
Fibromyalgia is a chronic pain condition characterized by symptoms such as fatigue, sleep disturbances, and tender points. Stress...
Osteoarthritis is a type of arthritis caused by inflammation, breakdown, and eventual loss of cartilage in the joints. Also...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that people get in their late teens or early twenties. Impacted wisdom teeth that only...
Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Hereditary hemochromatosis (iron overload) is an inherited disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body....
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as...
Group A streptococcal infections are caused by group A streptococcus, a bacteria that causes a variety of health problems,...
Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS)
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a condition that causes pain in the mouth. BMS may be caused by menopause, dry mouth or...
Low Blood Sugar (Hypoglycemia)
Low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia, is a syndrome in which a person's blood sugar is dangerously low. People with type 1 and type 2...
People who have bladder spasms, the sensation occurs suddenly and often severely. A spasm itself is the sudden, involuntary...
Emotional eating can be detrimental to one's efforts at weight loss. Learning to identify the situations and emotions that...
Vitamins and Calcium Supplements
Vitamins are organic substances that are essential for the proper growth and functioning of the body. Calcium is a mineral...
The main features of metabolic syndrome include insulin resistance, hypertension (high blood pressure), cholesterol...
Children's health is focused on the well-being of children from conception through adolescence. There are many aspects of...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)
Bruxism is the medical term for teeth grinding. Bruxism may be caused by stress or anxiety and often happens during sleep....
Stretch marks occur in the dermis, the elastic middle layer of skin that allows it to retain its shape. When the skin is...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
Oral Health and Bone Disease
Osteoporosis may be linked to bone loss in the jaw, which in turn, leads to tooth loss. Low bone density may result in...
Colon Cancer Prevention
Colorectal cancer is both curable and preventable if it is detected early and completely removed before the cancerous cells...
Regular physical activity can reduce the risk of disease. Regular exercise can also reduce the symptoms of stress and anxiety....
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Urinary Urgency
- Eye Twitch
- Seizure (Epilepsy)
- Nutrition: Food Facts and Fiction
- Nutrition Month: How Small Lifestyle Changes Can Make a Big Difference with Susan Borra,
- Nutrition, Weight Control and Great-Tasting Food
- Nutrition: Baby and Beyond
- Nutrition: What You Should Be Eating
Medications & Supplements
Prevention & Wellness
- Even a Drink a Day Might Raise Your Blood Pressure
- Alcohol Problems Grow as Booze Gets a Bigger Kick
- How Heavy Drinking Might Boost Your Appetite for Alcohol
- As You Age, Alcohol May Be Harder to Handle
- Alcohol May Be Sabotaging Your Diet
- Primary Care Doctors Should Screen Adult Patients for Unhealthy Drinking: Task Force
- Fewer Pregnant U.S. Women Smoke or Drink, But More Are Using Pot
- Study Casts Doubt on Light Drinking's Benefits
- Genes May Control How Tough It Is to Stop Drinking
- Alcohol Helps Kill 2.8 Million People Globally Each Year
- 'Moderate' Drinking May Help the Heart, But Only If You Stick With It: Study
- 'Moderate' Drinking May Be a Brain Buffer
- How Much Drinking Is Healthy -- or Not?
- 'Low-Alcohol' Booze Labels May Backfire
- Limit Alcohol To One Drink a Day: Study
- NIH Investigating Alcohol Companies' Funding of Study
- Moderate Drinking Tied to Long Life: Study
- Booze Beats Pot at Being Unhealthy: Oregon Poll
- How to Survive a New Year's Hangover
- Putting Wine on a Diet
- Pricey Wines Can Trick Your Brain
- Moms-to-Be Are Heeding Store Warnings About Alcohol
- Daily Glass of Beer, Wine Might Do a Heart Good
- Does a Little Daily Drinking Really Help the Heart?
- Alcohol May Fuel Prostate Cancer Risk
- Heavy Drinking Can Harm the Aging Brain
- Surprise! Beer Makes You Happier, Friendlier
- Who Drinks More -- Couples or Singles?
- Unhealthy Habits May Cost Canadians 6 Years of Life
- Would Weaker Beer Help Reduce Alcohol's Harms?
- Alcohol, Obesity Could Raise Esophageal Cancer Risk
- Coming to a Brew Near You: Calorie Counts, Carbs Info
- Smoke Less, Drink Less?
- Cutting Back on Wine? Try a Smaller Glass
- Moderate Drinking May Be Less Beneficial for Blacks
- Could a Drink a Day Lower Your Risk for Heart Failure?
- Health Tip: Too Much Alcohol Can Cause Problems
- Fewer Bars and Liquor Stores, Less Domestic Violence: CDC
- Binge Drinking May Boost Blood Pressure in Young Men
- For Infertility Treatment, Should He Drink Less Coffee, More Booze?
- A Little Alcohol May Not Be Good for Your Heart After All
- How Much Alcohol In Your Drink? Stronger Beverages Make It Tough to Tell
- Could 'Moderate' Drinking Be Safe During Pregnancy?
- Parents Can Influence Teen Drug Use
- Supplements of Red Wine Antioxidant Don't Help Obese Men
- Alcohol Adds 100 Calories a Day to Our Diet
- Crohn's Disease in Children May Start From Bacteria
- Red Wine Compound May Not Help Healthy Women
- 'Mouth Feel' Makes Wine Go Well With Meat, Study Finds
- Non-Alcoholic Red Wine May Boost Heart Health
- The Health Benefits, and Risks, of Alcohol
- Alcohol May Not Be Kind to the Aging Brain
- Moderate Drinking May Help Older Women's Bones
- Young Men Taking HIV Meds May Be at Risk for Bone Loss
- Even Moderate Exercise Might Cut Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Some Kinds of Red Wine May Not Trigger Migraines
- How That Glass of Red Wine Might Help You Live Longer
- Moderate Drinking Helps Men After Heart Attack?
- Light or Moderate Drinking Linked to Lower Stroke Risk in Women
- Wine Ratings May Be Meaningless for Most People
- Scientists May Be Closer to Developing 'Red Wine' Drug
- Do Grapes or Alcohol Make Red Wine Good for the Heart?
- Light Drinking Over Time May Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- Moderate Alcohol Drinking May Boost Heart Health
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Moderate Drinking Linked to Weight Control
- 28 Tips for Nighttime Heartburn Relief
- 10 Ways to Help Boost Your Good Cholesterol
- Weight Loss and Nutrition Myths
- Nix the Nightcap for Better Sleep?
- Holiday Happy Hour: Alcohol and Your Diet
- Alcohol Debate: How Drinking Affects Your Health
- Alcohol Impairment Chart
- Alcohol Becomes a Problem
- Alcohol Abuse: Young. Eager. And Drunk
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Alcohol, Some Sobering Facts
- Alcohol, Coffee, Smoking and High Blood Pressure
- Alcohol - Don't Have A 5th On The Fourth!