Patient Comments: Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your alcoholism? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: dannyk4, Published: March 08

I was in third grade when I first contracted rheumatic fever. It went undiagnosed until my father believed I was dying and took me to another doctor who knew what it was. My fever was above 106 and I lay on a couch in such pain for quite some time and when my father tried to carry me to the bathroom I would scream in pain. I caught it again in fourth grade and was diagnosed with a severe heart murmur and started taking penicillin daily until the age of seventeen. Prior to turning eighteen I enlisted into the USN during the Vietnam War but had to wait until I was eighteen and in my physical they could not find a trace of a heart murmur. Today I am sixty-five years old and suffer with pain in all of my joints as do others and all I keep hearing is that the rheumatic fever has nothing to do with my rheumatoid arthritis which I don't believe.

Comment from: delizabeth, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

I used to be a chronic alcoholic, this could be due to the fact that I came from a broken home and also lost my marriage. Alcohol addiction for me didn't just happen overnight and as such, it got to a time I couldn't do without it. What helped me was personal therapy after I accepted I needed help. I would visit lots of webpages, download seasoned e-books and gradually reduced my alcohol intake. It is over two years now and I'm sober! I have devoted my life now as a medical practitioner to tell people they can be free from addiction. Medicine Net is also a great place, I have seen lots of information here I refer people to during discussion. First, accept you need help and get the help.

Comment from: zeke, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 27

Alcoholism is a deadly disease. My mother is an alcoholic as is my brother. My ex wife is an alcoholic. They are all sober but their drinking has taken a serious toll on my life. Unless and until the alcoholic takes the first step the person affected by the alcoholic's behavior is wasting their time. Everything you have ever heard about how destructive alcoholism is true, I have experienced it. Demand that the alcoholic get into an AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) program or make plans to get out of the situation... or live a life that will be full of regret.

Comment from: Preeti, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 05

I used Chronol to stop my husband's drinking habit but due to nonavailability I changed to other but found bad results as he has now again start drinking.

Comment from: happy camper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have been sober for 10 years with the AA program. I work with others and see that a desire to quit and be healthy and 'spiritually fit' rather than removing the life consequences is paramount to long term sobriety. AA's 12 step program is holistic in that it addresses equally body, and spirit. I am so grateful that after a lifetime of control attempts and ending with 8 years of advanced alcoholism, I am a different person inside and out.

Comment from: stylistangi, 35-44 Female Published: May 20

I believe I am an alcoholic. My daughter has been affected by my problem. But I am a bit scared to sit through Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), knowing that I may not share in their beliefs. I am not familiar with their programs and would like to learn more.

Comment from: Caroline, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

What has been most effective for my alcoholism has been to accept that I am an alcoholic. I have to avoid the first drink because, as soon as alcohol enters my system, an endless craving starts. I also attend A.A. meetings.

Comment from: Hurley, 55-64 Female Published: June 30

I just quit. I don't go around anyone that drinks. I tried for 20 years to quit. I went to AA, and treatment. Nothing helped me. I was not finished until one day I said I'm not happy, and I don't enjoy drinking, and my life is a mess. I started going to Church. I found new friends. I also got a divorce after 35 years. I'm happier now than I've ever been.

Prescription Drug Abuse Statistics