Patient Comments: Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of alcohol abuse or alcoholism in a friend or relative? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: sister #3, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 14

My brother has always drunk his fair share. Fourteen months ago he was fired from his job with good reason. He started drinking more and more. My family and I did not find out how much until March 31, 2014. One of my sisters and I went his house to check on him because he wasn't answering calls or text messages. We found him to be severely yellow, stomach bloated, spots all over and very sick. He had been drinking 3 to 4 big bottles of Black Velvet a week. He was in the hospital for 5 days going through detoxification, then 6 weeks inpatient rehabilitation. Less than 2 weeks out of rehab and he is drinking. Some days are really bad. I found out he'll drink for 3 days straight not leaving the house. He says he is going to Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meetings but he has lied so many times. I have yelled at him so many times finding him drunk at home or that he has been drinking. He goes to bars with 'friends'. I know he has to want to be sober and do it himself. It is extremely hard to watch him continue to destroy his life. He is still unemployed. I don't think he could handle a job with his drinking. Feeling very helpless and my heart is breaking.

Comment from: Gellie, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 26

If there is a certain amount of alcohol (ethanol) in the brain for a certain amount of time, enough to damage the gamma amino butyric acid (GABA) system, the glutamate blocking capabilities of the GABA system will be proportionally disabled. Glutamate is a neurotransmitter of a discomfort system in the brain. To wean alcoholics off their immediate alcohol addiction Campral has been used. Campral blocks glutamate. Also gabapentin, also known as Neurontin, aids the GABA system.

Comment from: rommell, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 28

She is gaining weight, and it seems more like bloating because she doesn't eat that much to gain the weight. Her eyes are turning yellow. She drinks from the time she gets up till she goes to bed.

Prescription Drug Abuse Statistics