Alcoholism is a disease that includes alcohol craving and continued drinking despite repeated alcohol-related problems, such as losing a job or getting into trouble with the law. It can cause myriad health problems, including cirrhosis of the liver, birth defects, heart disease, stroke, psychological problems, and dementia. Counseling and a few medications can be effective for alcoholism treatment. Read more: Alcoholism Article
Multimedia: Slideshows, Images & Quizzes
Drinks & Beverages Quiz: Test Your IQ
Drink to your health! Take the Drinks & Beverages Quiz to learn how your favorite drinks can impact your life, your behavior, and...
Alcohol Quiz: Alcoholism & Health Effects
Take the Alcohol (Alcoholism) Quiz to learn how your alcohol is processed by your body and your brain....
Dementia, Alzheimer's Disease, and Aging Brains
What is dementia? Learn about dementia disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia, Alzheimer's disease (AD), Vascular (multi-infarct)...
Schizophrenia: Symptoms, Types, Causes, Treatment
What is schizophrenia? Learn about schizophrenia symptoms, signs, and treatment. Read about schizophrenia types such as paranoid...
Sex-Drive Killers: The Causes of Low Libido
Noticing a lack of intimacy with your partner? Here we explore how stress, lack of sleep, weight gain, depression and low T can...
Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
Read about the health risks of chronic heavy or binge drinking. Anemia, cancer, gout, cardiovascular disease and many more...
What's Your Biggest Fear? Phobias
Learn about phobias such as agoraphobia, claustrophobia, arachnophobia, zoophobia, and more. Discover some of the symptoms and...
Drug Interactions: Foods, Drugs, Herbs Affecting Medications
What foods, drugs, and herbal supplements interact with your pharmaceuticals? Learn about grapefruit and other common drug...
Your Face: A Window Into Your Health
What medical problems appear on your face? Look into the mirror and find out. Jaundice, glaucoma, skin cancer, and cracked lips...
Addicted to Pills: The Health Risks of Drug Abuse
What is drug abuse? Learn about prescription drug abuse and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs, including depressants, pain relievers,...
Hangover Myths Slideshow: Hangover Cures, Herbal Remedies, Hair of the Dog, and More
Learn ways to avoid a hangover, create morning-after remedies, and other widely held hangover beliefs....
Teen Drug Abuse: Warning Signs, Statistics, and Facts
Teen drug abuse is a growing concern today. Learn statistics, facts, warning signs, and effects related to teen substance abuse...
Gastric (Stomach) Cancer: Types, Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
What are the common signs and symptoms of stomach cancer? Learn about gastric cancer diagnosis, treatment, and their risks, how...
Teen Drama: Handling Mean Girls, Cyber Bullying, and Sexting
Being a teenage girl comes with a variety of challenges. Here are tips on dealing with dating, sexting, cyber bullying, mean...
Related Disease Conditions
Cirrhosis of the liver refers to a disease in which normal liver cells are replaced by scar tissue caused by alcohol and viral...
Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) Causes, Symptoms, Signs, Readings, and Treatments
Low blood pressure, also referred to as hypotension, is blood pressure that is so low that it causes symptoms or signs due to the...
Ascites, the accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity is most commonly caused by cirrhosis of the liver. Some of the other...
Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Second Source article from Government...
Liver disease can be cause by a variety of things including infection (hepatitis), diseases such as: gallstones, high...
Date Rape Drugs
Date rape drugs such as GHB, rohypnol, and ketamine are sometimes used to assist in a sexual assault. Symptoms and signs of...
Gout (Gouty Arthritis)
Buildup of uric acid crystals in a joint causes gouty arthritis. Symptoms and signs include joint pain, swelling, heat, and...
Liver (Anatomy and Function)
The liver is the largest gland and organ in the body. There are a variety of liver diseases caused by liver inflammation,...
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...
Liver cancer is cancer of the liver cells (hepatocellular carcinoma) or of the ducts in the liver (cholangiocarcinoma). Liver...
Rosacea is a skin disease that causes redness of the forehead, chin, and lower half of the nose. In addition to inflammation of...
Stroke (Signs, Symptoms, Warning Signs)
A stroke is an interruption of the blood supply to part of the brain caused by either a blood clot (ischemic) or bleeding...
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)
Signs and symptoms of pregnancy vary by stage (trimester). The earliest pregnancy symptom is typically a missed period, but...
SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth)
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) refers to a condition in which abnormally large numbers of bacteria (at least...
Pancreatitis (Acute, Chronic) Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment
Pancreatitis is a rare disease in which the pancreas becomes inflamed. There are two types of pancreatitis: acute and chronic....
Internal Bleeding (Symptoms, Signs, Causes, Treatment)
Internal bleeding occurs when an artery or vein is damaged and blood to escapes the circulatory system and collects inside the...
Dizziness is a symptom that often applies to a variety of sensations including lightheadedness and vertigo. Causes of dizziness...
Pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs caused by fungi, bacteria, or viruses. Symptoms and signs include cough, fever, shortness...
Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)
Hepatitis C is an inflammation of the liver due to the hepatitis C virus (HCV), which is usually spread by blood transfusion,...
Fatigue (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment)
Fatigue can be described in various ways. Sometimes fatigue is described as feeling a lack of energy and motivation (both mental...
Rhabdomyolysis is a rapid deterioration and destruction of skeletal muscle. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis include:...
Osteopenia is a bone condition characterized by bone loss that is not as severe as in osteoporosis. Bone fracture is the typical...
Head and Neck Cancer
Head and neck cancer is cancer of the oral cavity, salivary glands, paranasal sinuses and nasal cavity, pharynx, larynx, or lymph...
Gallstones (Pain, Symptoms, Causes, Diet, and Treatment)
Gallstones are stones that form when substances in the bile harden. Gallstones (formed in the gallbladder) can be as small as...
Drug-Induced Liver Disease
Drug-induced liver diseases are diseases of the liver that are caused by: physician-prescribed medications, OTC...
Burning Mouth Syndrome (BMS)
Burning mouth syndrome (BMS) is a condition that causes pain in the mouth. BMS may be caused by menopause, dry mouth or...
Healthy Living and Disease Prevention
The importance of a healthy lifestyle in disease prevention is widely understood and most people know that lifestyle changes and...
Encephalopathy means brain disease, damage, or malfunction. Causes of encephalopathy are varied and numerous. The main symptom of...
High Blood Pressure Treatment (Natural Home Remedies, Diet, Medications)
High blood pressure (hypertension) means high pressure (tension) in the arteries. Treatment for high blood pressure include...
Esophageal cancer is a disease in which malignant cells form in the esophagus. Risk factors of cancer of the esophagus include...
Tylenol Liver Damage
Tylenol liver damage (acetaminophen) can occur from accidentally ingesting too much acetaminophen, or intentionally. Signs and...
Nausea and Vomiting (Causes, Natural Remedies, Diet, Medication)
Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often precedes vomiting. Nausea and vomiting are not diseases, but they are symptoms...
A Dupuytren's contracture is a localized formation of scar tissue beneath the skin of the palm of the hand. The scarring...
Pancreatic cysts are collections of fluid within the pancreas. Some are benign, malignant, or pseudocysts. There are two major...
Stress occurs when forces from the outside world impinge on the individual. Stress is a normal part of life. However,...
Depression is an illness that involves the body, mood, and thoughts and affects the way a person eats and sleeps, the way one...
Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension and fear characterized by symptoms such as trouble concentrating, headaches, sleep problems,...
Erectile Dysfunction (ED, Impotence)
Erectile dysfunction (ED, impotence) is the failure to achieve or maintain an erection. There are many potential underlying...
Cluster Headache (Symptoms, Causes, Treatment Relief, Cures)
Cluster headache is a type of headache that recurs over a period of time. There are episodes that last one to three times a...
Neuropathic pain is a chronic condition that leads to ongoing pain symptoms. Patients can be predisposed to developing...
Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Problems) Paralysis Causes and Treatments
Bell's palsy is one type of facial nerve paralysis. The 7th cranial nerve controls the muscles of the face, and although...
Pregnancy planning is an important step in preparation for starting or expanding a family. Planning for a pregnancy includes:...
Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)
Cyclic vomiting syndrome is a condition in which affected individuals have severe nausea and vomiting that come in cycles....
Dementia is defined as a significant loss of intellectual abilities such as memory capacity, severe enough to interfere with...
Microcephaly is a genetic condition where the circumference of the head is smaller than normal due to underdeveloped brain....
Dilated Cardiomyopathy is a condition where the heart's ability to pump blood is decreased because the heart's main pumping...
Atrial Fibrillation vs. Ventricular Fibrillation (AFib vs VFib Symptoms, ECG Strips)
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Septic arthritis, or infectious arthritis, is infection of one or more joints by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Symptoms and signs...
The term oral cancer includes cancer of the mouth (oral cavity) and the back of the mouth (oropharynx). Red and white patches...
Drug addiction is a chronic disease that causes drug-seeking behavior and drug use despite negative consequences to the user and...
Atrial Flutter (Symptoms, Causes, ECG, and Treatments)
Atrial flutter is a problem with the atria of the heart. In atrial flutter the atria of the heart rapidly and repeatedly beat...
Seizure vs. Seizure Disorders (Differences and Similarities)
The differences between a seizure, epilepsy, and seizure disorders are confusing to many people. What makes it more confusing, is...
Mental illness is any disease or condition affecting the brain that influence the way a person thinks, feels, behaves, and/or...
Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia (PSVT)
Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) is an abnormal conduction of electricity in particular areas of the heart. PSVT...
Cushing's syndrome, sometimes referred to as hypercortisolism, is a hormonal disorder caused by prolonged exposure to high levels...
Hyothermia or extreme exposure to cold can be classified as either accidental hypothermia (unintentional cold exposure) and...
Birth defects have many causes and currently, are the leading cause of death for infants in the first year of life. Some of the...
Bronchiectasis (Symptoms, Causes, Complications, Life Expectancy)
Bronchiectasis has three types, 1) cylindrical bronchiectasis, 2) saccular or varicose bronchiectasis, and 3) cystic...
Schizophrenia is a disabling brain disorder that may cause hallucinations and delusions and affect a person's ability to...
Cancer Risk Factors
Though it's difficult to say why some people develop cancer while others don't, research shows that certain risk factors increase...
Domestic violence, or intimate partner abuse, is when one person in an intimate relationship uses any means to control the other...
Portal hypertension is most commonly caused by cirrhosis, a disease in which results from scarring of a liver injury. Other...
Atrial Fibrillation (AFib) Symptoms, ECG, and Treatment Medications
Atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib) is an abnormality in the heart rhythm which involves irregular and often rapid beating of the...
Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychiatric condition, can develop after any catastrophic life event. Symptoms include...
Bipolar disorder (or manic depression) is a mental illness characterized by depression, mania, and severe mood swings. Treatment...
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) is a dramatic personality disorder that is characterized by a distorted self-image,...
Alcohol and Teens
Alcohol is the most frequently used drug by American teenagers. Teens that drink are more likely to drive under the influence,...
A cataract is an eye disease that causes the eye's lens to become cloudy and opaque with decreased vision. Causes of cataracts...
Suicide is the process of intentionally ending one's own life. Approximately 1 million people worldwide commit suicide each year,...
Compulsive gambling is a disorder that affects millions in the U.S. Symptoms and signs include a preoccupation with gambling,...
Male Breast Cancer
Male breast cancer accounts for 1% of all breast cancers, and most cases are found in men between the ages of 60 and 70. A man's...
Hypersomnia is a condition where a person has excessive daytime sleepiness and trouble staying awake during the day. Treatment...
Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder (ASPD) has many symptoms, signs, and causes. Therapy is one treatment option for antisocial...
Agoraphobia is a fear of being outside or of being in a situation from which escape would be impossible. Symptoms include...
Binge Eating Disorder
Characteristics of binge eating disorder include eating more quickly than usual, eating until uncomfortably full, eating a lot of...
Phobias are unrelenting fears of activities (social phobias), situations (agoraphobia), and specific items (arachnophobia). There...
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)
Consuming alcohol during pregnancy may cause fetal alcohol syndrome, a group of conditions associated with mental, growth, and...
Teen Drug Abuse
Drugs commonly abused by teens include tobacco products, marijuana, cold medications, inhalants, depressants, stimulants,...
13 Tips for Parenting a Teen With ADHD
Parenting a teenager who has attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) can be challenging. Parents can use specific...
Sexual Problems (Sex) in Women
Sexual dysfunction refers to a problem that arises during any phase of the sexual response cycle, preventing an individual or...
Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Borderline personality disorder is a serious mental illness characterized by pervasive instability in moods, interpersonal...
Shaken Baby Syndrome (Abusive Head Trauma)
Shaken baby syndrome, or abusive head trauma, is the condition that describes the symptoms and signs that result from the violent...
Porphyria is a group of disorders that affect the nervous system, skin, or both. Porphyria is often an inherited condition that...
Teenagers recognize that they are developmentally between child and adult. Teen health prevention includes maintaining a healthy...
When sleepiness interferes with daily routines and activities, or reduces the ability to function, it is called "problem...
Holiday Depression, Anxiety, and Stress
Though the holidays are a fun time for most, for others, they're a sad, lonely and anxiety-filled time. Get tips on how to avoid...
Cleft Palate and Cleft Lip
Cleft palate and cleft lip are facial and oral defects that occur early in pregnancy. A cleft lip is a split of the two sides of...
Mental health is an optimal way of thinking, relating to others, and feeling. All of the diagnosable mental disorders fall under...
Pregnancy and Drugs (Prescription and OTC)
Taking prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs or supplements should be discussed with your doctor. There are some...
Ecstasy (MDMA), Rohypnol, ketamine and GHB are a few of the different types of drugs abused at bars, raves and parties. Rohypnol...
Factitious disorders are conditions in which people pretend to have physical or mental illnesses when they aren't sick. These...
Dysthymia is a less severe form of chronic depression. Symptoms and signs include insomnia, suicidal thoughts, guilt, empty...
Breast Cancer Prevention
Lifestyle changes, a healthy antioxidant-rich diet, exercise, and weight reduction can help reduce a woman's risk of developing...
Juvenile Bone Health
Setting a good example for your children when it comes to diet and exercise will help them to make healthy decisions about...
Liver Cancer (Hepatocellular Cancer) Prevention
Avoiding certain risk factors (such as hepatitis B and C, cirrhosis, and aflatoxin) can lower one's risk of developing liver...
Pain Management: Neuropathic Pain
Neuropathic pain is chronic pain resulting from injury to the nervous system. The injury can be to the central nervous system...
Estimating Breast Cancer Risk: Questions and Answers
As breast cancer is the most diagnosed non-skin cancer in American women, it is important to know your breast cancer risk. Risk...
Local ResourcesFind a local Psychiatrist in your town
Treatment & Diagnosis
- Hand and Finger Numbness
- Tingling in Hands and Feet
- Shaking Hands (Hand Tremors)
- Weight Loss
- Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence)
- Altered Mental Status
- Difficulty Concentrating
- Difficulty With Speech
- Swollen Lymph Nodes (Lymphadenopathy)
- Poor Hygiene
- Bad Breath
- Memory Loss
- Enlarged Heart
- Hot Flashes
- Unsteady Gait
- Low Libido
- Loss of Temperature Sensation
- Inability to Regulate Emotions
- Vocal Outbursts
- Double Vision
- Decreased Appetite
- Unusual Behavior
- Alcohol Withdrawal
- Pinkeye (Conjunctivitis)
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Seizure (Epilepsy)
- Hairy Tongue
- Dry Mouth
- Doctor: Checklist to Take To Your Doctor's Appointment
- How to Choose a Doctor
- Doctor: Getting the Most from Your Doctor's Appointment
- Addiction and the Family
- Addiction- Ask a Therapist: Facing Our Addictions
- Substance Abuse: Alcohol Counseling
- Addiction: Do You Need Help? -- Drew Pinsky, MD
- Alcohol FAQs
- Drinks and Beverages FAQs
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder - Treatment
- Questions To Ask Your Doctor - General
- Chronic Viral Hepatitis, Alcoholism, Cirrhosis Linked to Liver Cancer
- Alcohol & Stress: At Risk for Alcoholism?
- 11 Tips for a Safe Fourth of July
- Natural Remedies for Erectile Dysfunction
- Can Alcoholism Cause Male Breast Enlargement?
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and 9-11
- Hospitals: Can Yours Handle Your Emergency?
- Nosebleeds: First Aid
- Dieting and Drinking Alcoholic Beverages
- ADHD and Alcoholism (Audio Podcast)
Medications & Supplements
- gabapentin (Neurontin, Gralise, Horizant, Fanatrex FusePag) Side Effects, Dosage, and Abuse
- Zoloft (sertraline)
- Lyrica vs. Gabapentin: Differences between Pain Relief and Uses
- clonazepam (Klonopin)
- hydroxyzine (Vistaril)
- lorazepam (Ativan)
- diazepam (Valium, Diastat, Acudial, Diastat Pediatric, Diazepam Intensol)
- Ativan (lorazepam) vs. Valium (diazepam)
- ondansetron - oral, Zofran
- Antabuse (disulfiram) for Treating Alcoholism
- baclofen (Gablofen, Lioresal)
- chlordiazepoxide (Librium)
- lithium, Lithobid
- Alprazolam vs. Diazepam (Differences between Side Effects and Uses)
- doxepin (Sinequan and Adapin are discontinued brand in the US; Silenor)
- Celexa vs. Cymbalta (Comparison of Differences and Similarities)
- naltrexone hcl - oral
- ondansetron - injection, Zofran
- oxazepam (Serax, Zaxopam)
- naloxone (Narcan, Evzio, Narcan Nasal Spray)
- acamprosate calcium delayed-release - oral, Campral
Prevention & Wellness
- Alcohol Helps Kill 2.8 Million People Globally Each Year
- For Pennies a Drink, Higher Taxes Would Help Counter Alcohol's Toll: Study
- Drinking While Breast-Feeding May Dampen Child's Brain Development
- Tab for Young Binge Drinkers May Be Heart Trouble Later
- How Much Drinking Is Healthy -- or Not?
- Beach, Boating and Booze Add Up to Summer Injuries
- NIH Cancels Large Alcohol/Heart Health Study
- Binge Drinking: A Hazard for Teen Bones?
- Tough State Drunk Driving Laws Save Lives
- 'Low-Alcohol' Booze Labels May Backfire
- Alcohol, Tobacco Cause More Health Harm Than Illegal Drugs
- U.S. Motorcycle Deaths Dropped 6 Percent Last Year
- Health Tip: Heavy Alcohol Use Increases Cancer Risk
- Too Much Drinking May Be Tied to PMS: Study
- Heavy Drinking Could Raise Your Gum Disease Risk
- Drinking May Worsen Hearing Loss at Loud Concerts
- Skin Sensor Might Someday Track Alcoholics' Booze Intake
- Limit Alcohol To One Drink a Day: Study
- NIH Investigating Alcohol Companies' Funding of Study
- Booze Boosts Your Heart Rate
- Binge Drinking Rampant Among Americans
- 1 in 3 Young Adults Ride With Impaired Drivers
- Health Tip: Help Prevent Underage Drinking
- Heavy Drinkers Put Themselves at Risk for Dementia
- Booze Beats Pot at Being Unhealthy: Oregon Poll
- Fetal Alcohol Cases More Common Than Thought: Study
- Resolutions to Cut Drinking May Be Tough to Keep
- Parents, Giving Kids Alcohol Does More Harm Than Good
- Teen Drinking Ups Risk for Liver Diseases Later
- Reduce Legal Blood-Alcohol Limit to Cut Drunk Driving Deaths: Report
- Booze May Help or Harm the Heart, But Income Matters
- Drinking More Wine These Days? Your Glass May Be to Blame
- Party Tips for Teetotalers
- Higher Booze Taxes Might Pay Off for Public Health
- Think Before You Drink
- Face It: Drinking, Smoking Takes Toll on Looks
- Psychedelic Amazonian Drug Might Ease Symptoms of Depression, Alcoholism
- Surgical Residents Prime Candidates for Stress, Depression, Alcohol Abuse
- Even Light Drinking May Raise Your Cancer Risk
- Abusing Pot, Booze Lowers Teens' Chances for Success in Life
- Alcoholic Parent May Sow Seeds for Teen Dating Violence
- Avoiding Alcohol Helps the Heart Beat Better
- Another Downside to College Boozing: Poorer Job Prospects
- State Policies Can Reduce Alcohol-Related Murders
- How Much Alcohol Is Really OK?
- High, Low Levels of Magnesium Linked to Dementia Risk
- Alcohol Use, Abuse on the Rise in U.S.
- Binge Drinking Rates Dropping on College Campuses
- Boozing Can Age You Right Down to Your Cells
- Elite High Schools Breed Higher Risk of Addiction: Study
- Fewer U.S. Teens Are Boozing It Up
- Could a Weight-Loss Surgery Lead to Alcohol Abuse?
- Family History May Magnify Your Hangover
- Self-Harm Can Be a Harbinger of Suicide
- More Older Women Hitting the Bottle Hard
- Do Energy Drinks Plus Booze Equal More Injuries?
- Pot Plus Booze Equals Skidding College Grades
- Health Highlights: March 7, 2017
- Longer Addiction Treatment Is Better, Study Confirms
- Rising Number of Kids Ill From Drinking Hand Sanitizers: CDC
- More Booze Won't Beat Back That Hangover
- Tougher Alcohol Laws Mean Fewer Young People Killed on the Road
- Breathalyzer Lock Laws Prevent Drunk-Driving Deaths: Study
- Genes May Play Role in More Severe Form of PMS
- Study Ties Alcohol Abuse to Increased Heart Risks
- DUI Rates Decline for U.S. Drivers
- Celebrate the Holidays, But Not While Drinking and Driving
- Mothers of Kids With Severe Birth Defects May Have Shorter Lives: Study
- What You Need to Know When Prescribed an Opioid Painkiller
- Alcohol Can Be a Risky Guest at Holiday Parties
- Alcohol May Fuel Prostate Cancer Risk
- Heavy Drinking While Young May Mean Hefty Health Tab Later
- Women Reaching Equality in Dubious Habit: Drinking
- Mixed News on Drug Abuse Among Lesbian, Gay Americans
- For Problem Drinkers, Experimental Drug Shows Promise
- Heavy Drinking Can Harm the Aging Brain
- Alcoholics May Lack Key Enzyme
- Drunk as the Company You Keep?
- Alcohol May Damage the Heart -- at Least for Some
- Would Weaker Beer Help Reduce Alcohol's Harms?
- Heavy Drinking Might Harm the Lungs
- Heart Failure After Heart Attack Tied to Cancer Risk in Study
- The Older the Drinking Age, the Lower the Illness Rates?
- Cutting Back on Wine? Try a Smaller Glass
- Tough Economy, Alcohol Fuels Suicide Risk in Men: Study
- 1.2 Million U.S. College Students Boozing on Average Day
- Frat Brothers Keep Chugging Despite Anti-Booze Efforts
- Why Heavy Drinking Seems to Boost Desire to Smoke More
- Marriage a Buffer Against Drinking Problems?
- Booze, High Blood Pressure a Dangerous Mix
- Jello Shots While Underage, Bigger Booze Problems Later?
- Health Tip: Avoid Alcohol While Nursing
- Alcohol Sales Dropped After Maryland Raised Liquor Tax
- Teenage Girls Now Try Alcohol Before Boys Do: Study
- Moderate Drinking May Not Lengthen Life, Study Suggests
- Breathalyzer-Locked Car Ignitions Are Saving Lives, Study Says
- Alcohol Abuse Common Among Med Students, Study Finds
- Should You Stop Drinking?
- Pot Smokers May Face 5 Times Greater Risk of Alcohol Abuse
- One Alcoholic Drink Might Temporarily Bump Up Heart Risk
- Frequent Monitoring May Keep Alcohol Offenders Sober
- Alcohol More Harmful for People With HIV, Study Suggests
- Millions of Pregnant Women Put Their Babies at Risk With Alcohol: CDC
- Alcohol Ads Should Be a No-See on TV for Kids
- Others' Drug, Alcohol Use May Trigger Bad Behavior in Teens
- Women Starting to Match Men's Drinking Habits, Study Finds
- Almost 1 in 10 Americans Has Lifelong Drug Problem
- Gene Mutation May Be Tied to Drunken Recklessness
- Many Americans 30 and Older Find Happiness Elusive
- Heavy Drinking May Strain the Heart
- Substance Abuse, Suicide Killing More White, Middle-Aged Americans: Report
- Teens Swayed by Alcohol Ads
- No Amount of Alcohol Safe During Pregnancy, Doctors Say
- Cigarettes May Sabotage Alcoholics' Recovery
- Former Problem Drinkers Find It Tricky to Navigate Social Settings: Study
- Lower Drinking Age May Bring More High School Dropouts
- Distractions Make Alcohol Even More Dangerous for Drivers
- Heavy Drinking Linked to Greater Risk for Alcohol-Related Cancers
- Could Psychedelic Drugs Be Good Medicine for Some?
- Many Teens With Chronic Illnesses Use Alcohol, Pot
- Hate Hangovers? Then Don't Drink Too Much
- One or Two Drinks a Day Might Boost Cancer Risk: Study
- Face-to-Face Support Groups Still Best for Staying Sober: Study
- Over 4 Million Americans Say They've Driven Drunk in Prior Month: CDC
- Common Weight-Loss Surgery May Lower Tolerance for Alcohol
- Online Anti-Drinking Aids May Not Help Over Long Term
- Study Finds Drinking May Ease Fibromyalgia Pain, But Doctors Wary
- Jealousy Can Drive Some to Problem Drinking, Study Suggests
- Virtual Reality May Help Alcoholics Beat Cravings, Study Finds
- Most Americans Back Ban on Powdered Alcohol, Poll Finds
- Underage Drinking Down in Past Decade
- Health Tip: Watch Your Alcohol Consumption
- 3 in 10 Americans Have Drinking Problem at Some Point in Their Lives
- Tougher Alcohol Laws for Adults May Also Lower Teen Drinking
- 'Moderate' Drinking Might Harm Older People's Hearts: Study
- A Billion Smokers, 240 Million Alcohol Abusers Worldwide: Study
- Brain Differences Seen in Teenage Heavy Drinkers
- Health Tip: The Effects of Long-Term Alcohol Abuse
- Learn to Recognize the Signs of an Alcohol Problem
- Drop in Drunk Driving Crashes May Have Boosted U.S. Economy
- Moderate Drinking May Be Less Beneficial for Blacks
- Health Tip: Too Much Alcohol Can Affect Muscle Mass
- Pot Plus Booze Doubles Odds for Drunk Driving, Study Says
- Alcoholics Face Greater Death Risk When Hospitalized
- Higher Alcohol Taxes May Lead to Fewer Drunk-Driving Deaths: Study
- Letting Kids Sip Alcohol May 'Send Wrong Message'
- Obesity, Smoking, Drinking, Depression: All Linked to Low Back Pain
- Health Tip: Don't Mix Meds and Alcohol
- Could In-Car Breathalyzers Slash Rate of Booze-Linked Crashes?
- Palcohol: Risky for Teens and People in Recovery?
- The More the Merrier ... and the Drunker?
- The Lower His IQ, the More a Young Guy Drinks?
- Flavored Booze Beverages Tied to Higher Injury Risk in Teens
- Hispanics May Develop Alcoholic Liver Disease Earlier
- YouTube Videos of Drunkenness Don't Show Alcohol's Harms
- Health Benefits of Moderate Drinking Overblown: Report
- Too Much Alcohol at Midlife Raises Stroke Risk, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Drink Responsibly
- Daily Drinking May Raise Risk of Liver Cirrhosis, Study Warns
- Lung Transplants From Heavy Drinkers Linked to Higher Complication Risk
- TV Alcohol Ads Tied to Problem Drinking for Teens, Study Finds
- Could a Drink a Day Lower Your Risk for Heart Failure?
- Alcohol, Pot Fuel Half of Young Driver Deaths, Report Finds
- Many Seniors Toast to Retirement Too Often
- Work Hard, Party Harder?
- Alcohol Taxes Up, Binge Drinking Down?
- Less Booze, More Veggies Might Lower Odds for Some Cancers
- Alcohol Poisoning Kills 6 Americans Every Day, CDC Says
- Binge Drinking May Weaken Immune System, Study Suggests
- New Year Often Ushers in Pledge to Quit Drinking
- Stay Sober or Be Pulled Over This Holiday Season
- Health Tip: Too Much Alcohol Can Cause Problems
- Enforcement of Drunk Driving Laws Makes Roads Safer, Study Finds
- Alcohol Before Bedtime Won't Help Your Sleep, Study Finds
- Fewer Bars and Liquor Stores, Less Domestic Violence: CDC
- Humans' Taste for Booze May Go Back Millions of Years
- Many People Who Drink a Lot Aren't Alcoholics: CDC
- Alcohol Taxes May Give Boost to Public Health, Economy
- Alcoholism Damages Brain's White Matter, Scans Show
- Holidays Can Trip Up Problem Drinkers
- 'Social Host' Laws May Help Curb Underage Drinking, Study Says
- More Kids Harmed by Drinking in Pregnancy Than Expected, Study Reports
- Binge Drinking May Boost Blood Pressure in Young Men
- Bro Alert: Too Much Booze May Harm Your Sperm
- Younger Age at First Drink, Higher Odds for Problem Drinking: Study
- Anti-Smoking Policies May Also Curtail Drinking
- Drinking Alcohol More Common on Exercise Days
- 'Pot Addiction' May Be Real, Study Suggests
- 'Half a Glass' Rule May Curb Overdrinking
- 'Sleep Drunkenness' Is Common and Linked to Other Behavior Issues
- Civilian Life, Not Combat, May Drive Many Veterans to Drink
- Adults Who've Abused Alcohol May Be at Risk for Memory Problems
- College Alcohol Violations Often Draw a Slap on the Wrist: Study
- Energy Drink 'Cocktails' May Boost Desire to Drink More
- Science Finds Way to Block Booze's Effect -- in Worms
- Daughters Drink More Than Their Moms Did -- in Australia, at Least
- Underage Binge Drinkers Grab the Hard Stuff, Survey Finds
- Scientists Find More Genes Tied to Alcoholism Risk
- Almost 1 in 20 Young Teens Binge Drinks, Canadian Study Finds
- Several Medications Can Help People Quit Drinking: Study
- Binge Drinking May Slow Wound Healing
- Booze Brands in Pop Lyrics May Spur Teen Drinking, Study Says
- Booze Brands In Pop Lyrics May Spur Teen Drinking
- Parents' Addiction May Be Linked to Arthritis in Offspring
- Parental Messages That Stress No Alcohol Do Get Through, Survey Finds
- Smartphone App May Help People Overcome Alcoholism
- Drunk-Driving Deaths Under-reported in U.S., Study Says
- Older Drivers May Be Vulnerable to Just One Drink
- Most Alcohol-Linked Deaths Occur Among Working-Age Adults: CDC
- Young Binge Drinkers May Not Need Special Counseling From Family Docs
- Spring Break Drunkeness a Dangerous Tradition
- Alcohol Near Start of Pregnancy Linked to Premature Babies
- Hangovers Don't Delay the Next Drink, Study Finds
- Binge Drinking May Double Older People's Risk of Dying
- Legal Drinking Age of 21 Saves Lives, Review Finds
- Drug Might Help Heavy Drinkers Limit Their Booze
- Study: Minimum Pricing for Alcohol Would Affect Poorer, High-Risk Drinkers
- Alcohol Tied to Domestic Violence on College Campuses
- 'Buzzed' Drivers Who Are Under Legal Limit to Blame in Many Fatal Crashes
- Easier Way for Doctors to Identify Substance Abuse?
- Heavy Drinking in Middle Age May Speed Memory Loss for Men
- CDC: Docs Aren't Doing Enough to Discourage Problem Drinking
- James Bond's Dirty Little Spy Secret: He's an Alcoholic
- State Laws Can Help Curb Binge Drinking, Study Says
- Heavy Drinking Can Dry Up a Marriage If One Spouse Abstains
- Flushed Complexion After Drinking Could Point to High Blood Pressure Risk
- Those Rocked by Recession Most Likely to Hit the Bottle: Study
- Acetaminophen and Alcohol a Bad Mix, Study Suggests
- Tylenol and Alcohol a Bad Mix, Study Suggests
- Study Probes Why Truckers Use Booze, Illicit Drugs
- Fake ID Use Tied to High-Risk Drinking by Underage Students
- Nosebleeds Common But Seldom Serious, Study Finds
- How Much Alcohol In Your Drink? Stronger Beverages Make It Tough to Tell
- Alcoholism Treatment Can Help Some Liver Transplant Patients
- Shape, Size of Wine Glass May Skew How Much You Pour
- Drinking Locations Factor Into Partner Violence, Study Says
- 1 in 5 High School Seniors Binge Drinks: Study
- Strong Verbal Skills in Childhood May Raise Drinking Risk, Study Suggests
- Older Age May Mean Fewer Hangovers
- Genetic Risks for Eating Disorders, Alcoholism May Be Connected
- Certain Beer Brands Tied to More ER Visits, Study Finds
- Health Tip: Underage Drinking is Risky
- CDC: Heavy Drinking a Costly Burden to U.S.
- Cigarette Taxes Deter Heavy Drinking, Study Suggests
- Women Tend to Seek Help for Alcohol Abuse Sooner Than Men
- Early Discipline Tied to Less Use of Drugs, Alcohol in Teens
- Joint Alcohol-PTSD Treatment Appears Effective, Study Finds
- Sweet Tooth May Foretell of Binge Drinking, Brain Scans Show
- Smoking Plus Heavy Drinking May Accelerate Mental Decline
- Many 8-Year-Olds in U.S. Have Tasted Alcohol: Study
- Could 'Moderate' Drinking Be Safe During Pregnancy?
- Baldness Drug Propecia May Put Some Men Off Alcohol: Study
- Designated Drivers Often Drink Themselves, Study Finds
- Parents Can Influence Teen Drug Use
- More Booze in Movies for Kids, Study Finds
- Alcoholics Who Smoke May Face Early Brain Aging
- College Women More Prone to Problem Drinking Than Men: Study
- Adult Children of Substance Abusers More Prone to Depression
- New Guidelines Say Doctors Should Screen All Adults for 'Risky' Drinking
- Too Much Drinking, Weight May Harm Liver
- Even in Young Adults, Binge Drinking May Harm Circulation
- Sons of Absent or Abusive Fathers May Pick More Bar Fights: Survey
- No Tie Between Light Drinking During Pregnancy, Child's Development: Study
- U.S. Infant Mortality Rates Finally Dropping Again: Report
- Exercise May Blunt Heavy Drinking's Effect on Brain
- Beer's Taste May Trigger Urge to Get Drunk
- Health Tip: Alcohol Can Affect Your Athletic Performance
- Mother's Drinking Increases Risk of Infant's Death: Study
- Alcohol Blamed for 1 in Every 30 Cancer Deaths: Study
- Lower Drinking Age May Raise Chances of Bingeing Later
- Drinking Imbalance Could Put Marriage on the Rocks
- Diet Drinks As Mixers May Make for More Potent Cocktails
- Do TV Liquor Ads Drive Kids to Drink?
- Alcohol and a Good Night's Sleep Don't Mix
- Doctors Often Miss Signs of Problem Drinking in Patients, Study Finds
- Binge Drinking Common Among U.S. Women, Girls: CDC
- Health Tip: You May Need a Bone Density Test
- Another New Year's Hazard: Drunk Walking
- Solo Rock Stars Die Sooner Than Those in Bands
- Heavy Drinking, Pot Use Tied to Teen Brain Changes
- Teen Dating Violence Linked to Substance Abuse, Depression
- Smoking May Make Hangovers Worse
- 1 in 4 in U.S. Starts Drinking Before Turning 21: Report
- Moderate Drinking in Pregnancy Tied to Lower IQ in Child
- Alcohol Adds 100 Calories a Day to Our Diet
- Gene Ups Pancreatitis Risk in Men Who Drink Heavily
- Alcoholism Linked to Poor Sense of Empathy, Irony in Men
- 'Predrinking' Nearly Doubles Booze Consumption: Study
- Impulsive College Women at Risk of Drinking Problems: Study
- Brain Recovery From Alcoholism Seen Soon After Abstinence: Study
- Alcoholism Shortens Life More Than Smoking: Study
- Addiction a Risk After Weight Loss Surgery
- In Terms of Drinking, the Rich Are Different, Study Says
- Why Some Mothers (Wrongly) Let Kids Try Alcohol
- Health Tip: Don't Combine Medication and Alcohol
- Doctors Should Screen Adults for Alcohol Misuse, U.S. Panel Says
- Alcoholism Treatment Saves Families Money
- Extra Steps Urged to Cut Alcohol, Drug Use in Military: Report
- Avoiding Alcohol May Cut Risk for Esophageal Cancer
- Quitting Drinking May Help Alcoholics' Bone Loss
- Heavy Drinkers at Greater Risk for Stroke
- People More Likely to Guzzle Beer Served in Curved Glasses
- Scientists ID 'Happy' Gene in Women
- New Clues to How Alcohol May Boost Cancer Risk
- College Students Who Binge Drink Say They're Happier
- Tying the Knot Ups Women's Drinking Rate, Lowers Mens'
- Drinking in Pregnancy Shows Up in Child's Growth: Study
- Brain Scans May Spot Teens at Risk for Problem Drinking
- Booze, Energy Drinks, Casual Sex Combo Common in College: Study
- Alcohol Is a Social Lubricant, Study Confirms
- Heavy Drinking in Pregnancy Linked to Host of Problems in Children
- 1 in 13 Pregnant Women Drink, CDC Says
- The Health Benefits, and Risks, of Alcohol
- Alcohol Poses Serious Risks for Those With Diabetes
- Alcohol May Not Be Kind to the Aging Brain
- 40 Million Americans Addicted to Cigarettes, Alcohol or Drugs
- 'Moderate' Drinking During Pregnancy Has No Effect on Young Children: Study
- After Bariatric Surgery, Alcohol Abuse More Likely
- State Laws Cut Teen Drinking and Driving, Large Study Shows
- Heavy Drinking, Smoking Won't Harm Men's Sperm: Study
- Underage Drinkers Can Easily Order Alcohol From the Internet
- Chinese Herb Kudzu May Help Drinkers Cut Down
- Friends' Parents Can Sway Teens' Odds for Drinking, Smoking
- Kids Most Likely to Start Abusing Painkillers at 16: Study
- Teen Impulsiveness Has Different Sources in ADHD, Substance Use
- Health Highlights: April 16, 2012
- Tattoos, Piercings Tied to Heavier Drinking in French Study
- 12-Step Meetings May Help Teens Beat Alcohol, Drug Abuse
- Health Highlights: April 13, 2012
- Teen Drinking May Boost Odds of Precancerous Breast Changes
- ER Docs Can Help Curb Patient Alcohol Abuse, Drunk Driving
- Drug, Alcohol Abuse Common Among U.S. Teens, Study Finds
- Young Women Who Drink and Drive at Higher Risk of Fatal Accident
- Even a Little Drinking May Raise Breast Cancer Risk: Study
- Caring Teachers May Help Keep Kids From Trying Alcohol, Drugs
- Excessive Drinking Costs U.S. Colleges Millions Annually
- Spring Break Boozing May Put Young Brains at Risk
- Many Alcoholics Suffered Childhood Trauma: Study
- LSD Might Help Alcoholics Quit, Stay Abstinent: Study
- College Women's Condom Use Falls in Freshman Year
- Drinking Scenes in Movies May Spur Teens to Do the Same
- Strict Underage Drinking Laws May Deter Delinquency in Teens
- Support for Tougher Liquor Laws Rises When Booze, Crime Linked
- Health Tip: Be a Responsible Driver
- National Guard Deployment May Sometimes Trigger Alcohol Abuse
- 15% of U.S. Surgeons Report Drinking Problems in Survey
- Booze in Movies May Fuel Teenage Drinking
- Quit-Smoking Drug May Also Curb Drinking
- Whitney Houston's Death Raises Addiction Questions
- Booze and Family History of Colon Cancer a Bad Mix: Study
- Off-Campus Party Hosts Drank Most in College Survey
- Report: 1 in 5 Adults Had Mental Illness in 2010
- Why Is Alcohol Addictive? Study Offers Clues
- Worldwide Illegal Drug Use Estimated at 200 Million People a Year
- Eating Disorders Can Last Well Beyond Teen Years
- States Crack Down on Drunk Drivers This Holiday Season
- Holiday Blues May Signal Depression
- Is 27 a Deadly Age for Rock Stars?
- Walking While Drunk Can Lead to Deadly Accidents: Expert
- Too Much Alcohol Linked to Unsafe Sex, Study Confirms
- Energy Drinks Send Thousands to the ER Each Year
- Light Drinking Over Time May Raise Breast Cancer Risk
- Experimental Drug May Help Treat Psoriasis
- As Economy Goes Down, Drinking Goes Up
- 4 Million in U.S. Admit Drunk Driving
- Drinking Is on the Rise Among U.S. Women
- CDC Warning: Deadly Listeria in Cantaloupe
- Genes Play Role in How Alcohol Affects Men and Women
- Binge Drinking May Affect Memory of Teens
- July 4 Weekend Dangerous for Underage Boys Who Drink: Report
- Even Small Amounts of Alcohol May Impair Driving
- Energy Drink-Vodka Combo Nearly Kills Teen
- Magic Mushrooms Drug Shows Promise as Therapeutic Tool
- New Birth Defect Warning for Topamax
- Moderate Alcohol Drinking May Boost Heart Health
- Alcohol at Bedtime May Not Help Your Sleep
- Energy Drinks May Raise Risk for Alcohol Problems
- Experts: Alcohol More Harmful Than Crack or Heroin
- Teen Binge Drinking Linked to Attention Problems
- For Some, Moderate Drinking May Prolong Life
- Superheroes: Bad Role Models for Boys?
- Too Much Alcohol? Friends May Be to Blame
- Drinking Alcohol Linked to Unhealthy Diet
- Good and Bad Health Habits in U.S.
- Happy, Healthy, Valentine!
- Beach & Water - Play it Safely!
- Sex While Asleep
- The Truth About Urine
- Depression Symptoms in Men
- Nix the Nightcap for Better Sleep?
- Know Your Stones...Protect Your Kidneys
- Rehab's Role in Treating Addiction
- Teens & Traffic Facts!
- Teens, Technology, And Drugs: An Inside Look
- Senior Health Series: Aging and Alcohol Use and Abuse
- Alcohol: How to Cut Down on Your Drinking
- College Drinking: The Hidden Consequences
- Alcoholism: Does Family History make You at Risk?
- College Drinking: What Parents Need to Know
- Alcoholism Facts
- Alcohol Impairment Chart
- Sleep: Drug or Alcohol Sleep Disorders
- Medical Conditions Doctors Miss
- Driving Is Hazardous to Your Health
- Domestic Violence Fact Sheet
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- Drunk Driving Prevention
- Teens Sex Activity Tied to Drink & Drugs
- Pregnancy - Dangerous Drugs for Baby
- Drug Abuse and Addiction: Drugs of Choice
- Gene for Alcoholism is Discovered (GABA & GABRG3)
- Drug Abuse: How To Tell if Someone is Abusing Drugs
- Stress, Depression and Drug Abuse: Fallout of 9-11
- Alcohol, Some Sobering Facts
- Alcohol, Coffee, Smoking and High Blood Pressure
- Alcohol - Don't Have A 5th On The Fourth!